HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Suffocate Rags 3-1

Old
03-17-2010, 10:16 AM

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnsWRC View Post
Had they kept Antropov things might have been a little different.
Perhaps...but what I meant was that many hockey experts and most Rangers fans thought that by getting rid of Gomez and subsequently, signing Gaborik, all there problems were solved.

Well, and I remember arguing this at the time of the trade, it looks like they should of dealt with some of their bigger problems like Drury, Redden or Roszival first. Truth is, Scott Gomez was made the scapegoat in New York when truly, it's Glen Sather ineptness at building a team which was the biggest mitigating factor as to why that team is a perennial underachiever

Jokinen is a perfect player for the Rangers...perennial underachiever

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:31 AM
habsrock76

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
It's funny how no one mentioned the ****in made up Bettman for the Rangers penalty call in OT, there was NO hook on the play. Once again the NHL prooving it's full of ****.
We are not saying anything because we won, but had we loss, this would be all over our media !
I completely agree that was a phantom hook, at first when there was a penalty called i though Gomez had done somehting behind the play then when i noticed Pouliot was going to the box and saw the replay I was absolutey losing my mind.

I was mystified by the call, did the ref actually feel justified rewarding the Rags with a late powerplay after their dismal performance.

As you mentioned the only reason no one is talking about it is because sweet justice showed up in the form of a fortuitous bounce over Del Zotto's stick.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Rangers are a joke...I can't believe anyone thought that teams was going anywhere this year just cause they substracted Gomez and added Gaborik. They just traded one problem (no scoring winger), for another (no playmaking center).

Glen Sather is running that franchise deeper into the ground...
Fortunately for them they have a kick ass prospect pool.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
And Glen Sather is controlling their fates...could be a double edged sword

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:50 AM
BelHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
I completely agree that was a phantom hook, at first when there was a penalty called i though Gomez had done somehting behind the play then when i noticed Pouliot was going to the box and saw the replay I was absolutey losing my mind.

I was mystified by the call, did the ref actually feel justified rewarding the Rags with a late powerplay after their dismal performance.

As you mentioned the only reason no one is talking about it is because sweet justice showed up in the form of a fortuitous bounce over Del Zotto's stick.
As a Habs fan, aren't you getting used to this by now? I've seen things called against the Habs over the years that I've never seen called against anyone else. One quick example that comes to mind is that penalty shot against us in sudden death overtime in the playoffs against Pittsburgh. Or how about putting us 2 men down in that famous Therrien escapade (Koivu later said that Therrien hadn't said anything - the rude comment came from the stands behind the Montreal bench).

I don't know why but I think many refs are biased against the Habs. I know every fan thinks the refs are biased against their team but I didn't notice this bias against Team Canada, for example, and I was sticking up for them also. Years ago, Red Storey had to quit NHL refereeing because he wouldn't back down on a comment he made about refereeing bias.

BelHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 01:40 PM
habsrock76

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelHabs View Post
As a Habs fan, aren't you getting used to this by now? I've seen things called against the Habs over the years that I've never seen called against anyone else. One quick example that comes to mind is that penalty shot against us in sudden death overtime in the playoffs against Pittsburgh. Or how about putting us 2 men down in that famous Therrien escapade (Koivu later said that Therrien hadn't said anything - the rude comment came from the stands behind the Montreal bench).

I don't know why but I think many refs are biased against the Habs. I know every fan thinks the refs are biased against their team but I didn't notice this bias against Team Canada, for example, and I was sticking up for them also. Years ago, Red Storey had to quit NHL refereeing because he wouldn't back down on a comment he made about refereeing bias.
Doesnt help that the main official recruitment pool for advancement to the AHL comes from the GTA. A good friend of mine was an official in the OHL and he said unless you knew someone or was from the Toronto area you werent getting a sniff at advancing to any other level...apparently its extremely political.

habsrock76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:34 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
They really, really do, too; at all positions.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:12 PM
BelHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrock76 View Post
Doesnt help that the main official recruitment pool for advancement to the AHL comes from the GTA. A good friend of mine was an official in the OHL and he said unless you knew someone or was from the Toronto area you werent getting a sniff at advancing to any other level...apparently its extremely political.
I agree with you completely. On a different forum, I was trying to give my "southern Ontario refereeing bias" theory and they weren't buying it at all. But I've noticed that when we get French Canadian refs, the problem isn't there. (If anything, they actually favour us. Unfortunately, there aren't too many of them around.)

To further support this, I can remember when Paul Stewart used to be murder on us. Then, when he came back from cancer, Saku Koivu had a nice friendly chat with him that included a couple of pats on Stewart's back. From that moment on, the guy was completely fair with us.

Finally, all you have to do is take notice of that NBA ref who admitted bias. Do you actually believe that it only exists in basketball?!! Wasn't there a ref this year who told a Vancouver player "he was gonna get him back" for making him look bad in an earlier game? The Vancouver player had to take it back or the League would have crucified him, but I believe it happened.

BelHabs is offline   Reply With Quote