HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Going back to wood

Old
03-17-2010, 12:49 AM
imkegg85

vCash: 500
Going back to wood

I just made the switch back from composite to wood sticks and am having a hard time finding Sherwood PMP7000 sticks with the Bouchard curve. I want to stick with this stick since it seems to be the best wooden stick I've ever used. Does anyone know where I can pick some of these up in bulk at?

imkegg85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:59 AM
MNWild9

Your going to have a hard time most companys have stopped making wood sticks. I know its messed up. Its cause everyone is going to one piece sticks.

MNWild9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:54 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWild9 View Post
Your going to have a hard time most companys have stopped making wood sticks. I know its messed up. Its cause everyone is going to one piece sticks.
Bauer still makes wood sticks and I almost got one as a back up, but I went with the composite instead. I don't know if they have Total Hockey stores like they do here in the Chicagoland area, but they have a large selection of wooden sticks in their stores.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:50 AM
imkegg85

Yeah that is pretty messed up that everyones getting out of the wooden stick market. Hopefully they'll come to their senses soon enough and start mass producing these beasts again. Unfortunately we don't have any Total Hockey stores around here or any good hockey shops, damn this city and it's dumb football obsession.

Old
03-17-2010, 11:12 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

http://www.purehockey.com/ecom/produ...ood-Stick.html

They have bouchard in right and left. I've always had pretty good experiences dealing with them, they always ship fast.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Can you call a local shop and see if they can order you a dozen? I'm not sure why nobody has the 7000 anymore.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:46 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManHammer44 View Post
I just made the switch back from composite to wood sticks and am having a hard time finding Sherwood PMP7000 sticks with the Bouchard curve. I want to stick with this stick since it seems to be the best wooden stick I've ever used. Does anyone know where I can pick some of these up in bulk at?
I found dozens and dozens of PMP5030s with Bouchard curves at Play It Again Sports here in Cary. They might be worth a look if you can't find the 7000s anywhere.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:02 PM
imkegg85

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post

They have bouchard in right and left. I've always had pretty good experiences dealing with them, they always ship fast.

Yeah I ordered one of those last night but I'm wondering if its the same stick just a different look. Hopefully it's no different

Yeah theirs a play it again by me but they don't carry to much wood. I'll have to give them a call and see if they can order me a couple.

Old
03-17-2010, 04:10 PM
Badger36

You could try on www.hockeymonkey.com, www.hockeygiant.com or on Ebay.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:20 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNWild9 View Post
Not true. Bauer, CCM, Easton and (of course) Sherwood still make wood sticks.

Old
03-17-2010, 05:13 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
Not true. Bauer, CCM, Easton and (of course) Sherwood still make wood sticks.
Bauer is done making wood sticks.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 05:31 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

I tried a One55 and a 5030 before settling on a PMP7000 with a Spezza curve. I buy them in my LHS, who might be amenable to shipping them to you, at:

www.wsskate.com

I found the 7K to be a better stick than the 5030, but that's JMO. I did find them online, but primarily in 3-packs:

http://www.hockeygear.com/shpmpfg70ice.html

They don't list the Bouchard, but perhaps can order it. My LHS said sher-wood will be making this sticks into the forseeable future.

Last edited by nystromshairstylist: 03-18-2010 at 12:09 AM.
nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:00 PM
Hockeyfan68

Some small LHS still offer woodies ... they are hard to find yes for sure.

The Sherwood ones you talked about I have never even seen any in a store. I do know that Sherwood will make you sticks and even copy a pattern for you if you prefer that. My friend who owns a LHS here does that, he showed me his pattern he gets as a replacement blade from them and he uses a composite shaft with it.

http://www.sher-wood.com they also have a pdf opf the current 2010 catalogue. They offer the full line of PMP sticks including your 7000 series. Their instore cuctom program (the way to get a custom pattern blade on sticks) should be available through any authorized Sher-wood dealer.

Shoot them an email

Contact

Sher-Wood Hockey Inc.
2745 Sherwood Blvd., Sherbrooke, QC, Canada J1K 1E1 Tél: 819-563-2202 Fax: 819-821-4848
info@sher-wood.ca

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:20 PM
Badger36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBLfan View Post
Bauer is done making wood sticks.
They still list them on their website.

Old
03-17-2010, 11:25 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBucky View Post
They still list them on their website.
Check the 2010 catalogue.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:36 PM
RJC

Composite is superior to wood in pretty much everyway, not sure why you would want one.

RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by caldakid View Post
Composite is superior to wood in pretty much everyway, not sure why you would want one.
I agree ... 35 year wood user here until over a year and a half ago.

Old
03-18-2010, 12:46 AM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I agree ... 35 year wood user here until over a year and a half ago.
I can buy 2 woods sticks for the price of the worst composite stick, or 10 wood sticks for the price of one good composite.

For the average beer leaguer I think the difference between wood and composite is not to noticeable. Test a wood stick side by side with a composite as far as shooting, and accuracy goes and see what differences you notice.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Maupin Fan
Hot Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
I can buy 2 woods sticks for the price of the worst composite stick, or 10 wood sticks for the price of one good composite.

For the average beer leaguer I think the difference between wood and composite is not to noticeable. Test a wood stick side by side with a composite as far as shooting, and accuracy goes and see what differences you notice.
Right, and after you have to toss your 10 wood sticks because they have a puck pocket in the blade or have completely crapped out and lost all flex, I'll still be using my composite that will still be performing as well as the first time I used it.

Maupin Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:05 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:

Well Im pretty sure Im an average beer leaguer and I notice a huge difference between woods and composites. Obviously the weight, and the biggest thing is the durability of the blade. I like to take slappers and that blade did not last long at all on my wood, basically just disintegrated within a very short period of time. Now I have noticed mid-range composite blades durability wise aren't so great either atleast with the XXV, but my one95 is blowing both of them out of the water in durability.

As for the feel and whip of the stick I am not as much of an expert on wood, but Id say I definitely noticed much more of a kick and reponse from my composites but that can also be associated with my preferring lower flexes which woods don't really seem to come in.(My wood was a 100)

Also can you really buy 10 decent woods for the price of a high end composite? If so you must get some great deals I really dont see those types of prices, I mostly have to do online shopping though.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Nobody makes a 75 flex wood stick that doesn't torque open, so I don't use them. But I can certainly see how somebody bigger and stronger than me would like wood.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 12:07 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandcrusaders82 View Post
Right, and after you have to toss your 10 wood sticks because they have a puck pocket in the blade or have completely crapped out and lost all flex, I'll still be using my composite that will still be performing as well as the first time I used it.
I tried a composite, and felt it very stiff, lightweight, and needing a tight hold to keep it from vibrating from the shock of a hard pass or slapshot.

Maybe it was the one I tried, does anyone have any recommendations of a $75 or less composite that would hold up well, but not feel like a toothpick?

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 12:46 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post
I tried a composite, and felt it very stiff, lightweight, and needing a tight hold to keep it from vibrating from the shock of a hard pass or slapshot.

Maybe it was the one I tried, does anyone have any recommendations of a $75 or less composite that would hold up well, but not feel like a toothpick?
Get a Harrow 300.

http://www.harrowsports.com/products...e=st&c=52&t=35
Shaft: $100

http://www.harrowsports.com/products...e=st&c=52&t=36
Blade: $40

Enter code 'hkyrink' for 50% off

Total price $70

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 01:46 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:

This is an old debate that wood loses every time, we have threads about this here already. AS STATED I've used wood for 35 years and a side by side test isn't necessary. My good 2 piece composites last about a year before I have to buy a new $40 blade, the shafts are still fantastic. $40 vs the $250 for 10 woodies isn't much of a selling point for wood. I would break a wood blade sometimes in one shooting session in an hour. In one year I would probably buy a stick a month for wood. Wood also because it is organic is inconcistent with flex and feel. Composites are the exact same stick always. My Harrow sticks feel as good as wood though it has been argued in here even though I own them and the arguer doesn't. I am sure there are many good compo sticks that also feel as good as wood. Finally composite blades are new until they ultimately break and wood is not, after a few shots it loses the lead in its pencil makes them subpar. Your compare you suggest is using a fresh brand new wood stick off the rack .... come back in 2 weeks if the woodie is still going and then compare it to the 2 week old composite stick. The contest won't even be a close one for accuracy and zip not to mention a crack in the blade the height of the puck from shooting and making passes. There is also a moisture issue of the fiberglas wrap springing a leak and the wood splitting, compos don't do that either.

This thread I think is about a guy who wants to find a Sher-wood 7000 series stick with a Bouchard curve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nystromshairstylist View Post

skraut mentioned it above so check out his links he posted.

I have used Harrow for over a year now and this vibration you mention doesn't exist with them despite people in here telling me otherwise who do not even own one. Receiving passes are the same as with wood or else I wouldn't use a composite. Also harrow decided to make a stick for feel as opposed to making it super light weight. The stick is a high end stick that weighs more than most other high end sticks if that makes sense. $140 will get you a nice 2 piece and $165 will get you a one piece BUT skraut's posted code will get you 50% from that now so take advantage of it while the sale is on.

Be sure you get the correct flex (one not TOO stiff) because if not all sticks will vibrate for you if too stiff, make it too stiff feeling for a slapshot or make it hard to receive a pass.

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 03-18-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old
03-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Pog Form

I definitely still see Sher-wood 7000 sticks around these parts. Not sure about the Bouchard curve, but I'll have a look next time I'm out.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote