HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Wings in the hunt for Zuccarello Aasen

Old
03-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Ti-girl

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Ti-girl Send a message via Yahoo to Ti-girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Wasn't Kronwall 5-10 155lbs when he was drafted?
Helm was 5'9, buck 45

03-17-2010, 02:48 PM
jkrx

Look, sign him to 1 year, 1-way. Give him a couple of shots if he doesnt pan out, trade/waive him.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:03 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrx View Post
Look, sign him to 1 year, 1-way. Give him a couple of shots if he doesnt pan out, trade/waive him.
Exactly, worst case scenario it ends up like the Leino situation and get a low draft pick or a player out of it. It is a cheap way to fill a roster spot and the reward would be hugeeee if it pans out.

But who knows, maybe having fellow Norwegian OKT in the AHL could get him to sign a 2 way deal for 1 season.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:14 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bert8841 View Post
If you guys read the article, Aasen's agent says Detroit would be the best team for MZA, but he also says they will only sign a 1 way contract. So I am guessing he is ours if Detroit agrees, and if not then another team will nab him.

You would think Wings fans would be happy about this with all the talk about Detroit not having anyone in the system capable of replacing our stars in the future. I am really excited about this.

Datsyuk in the old NHL = MZA in the new NHL ???
Well, here's the deal. The agent can make that demand, but the CBA stipulates that EVERY player must sign an Entry Level Contract (ELC) for their first contract, and all ELC's are two-way deals.

So, if MZA wants to play in the NHL he must sign a two-way deal, regardless of which team he selects. It isn't negotiable.

That said, what he may be seeking is an assurance or an out clause similar to what Grigorenko got. Basically, if he's not on the NHL roster at a certain date (Nov. 1st for example) then he'd have the right to return to Europe.

If that's the case, I say forget him. If he's not willing to play in GR for a year then he's not worth bothering with. He can go fail in another city, and be back in Sweden before Christmas.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Heaton
||||||||||||||||||||

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaster View Post
Yeah, something small like that, but Kronwall was 19 and still grew another inch or two. This guy is 22, so I doubt he'll get any taller. I mean, 5'7"? Yeesh. I guess Brian Gionta made it at that height, but..... exception to the rule me thinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack View Post
It's not the weight, it is more the height / height & weight combined. A kid drafted at 155lbs but who is 5' 10" tall is obviously just thin and has a lot of filling out to do. However, someone who is 5' 7" and 160lbs or so is pretty filled out. It is possible for him to bulk up some more, but I think that will adversely affect his speed. Someone that short needs to be really fast, or they just aren't NHL material. I suppose if he's built like Barry Sanders it would be different, but that's the exception to the rule.

Also, at age 22 he's looking at one year in the minors before he's subject to waivers. I'm all for signing the kid to see what happens, but I'd also expect Leino part deux.
I haven't read thatmuch about him, but can he skate? If he has wheels, the height doesn't matter as much.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Jussha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
I haven't read thatmuch about him, but can he skate? If he has wheels, the height doesn't matter as much.

Exactly, if you don't have size or strength in this new nhl, but you have a lot of speed, there is still a lot of room for a player to be successful (ie. Pat Kane). I find that lack of speed has been more of a limitation in Hudler than his size. For a 5 foot 9 midget Hudler actually has decent strength, but his major limitation is that he doesn't have wheels. You give Hudler wheels like Darren Helm and you would have a very special player even with his size limitations.

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 03:59 PM
doublejack

About Hudler, several sites list his height as either 5' 9" or 5' 10". That's amusing. I seriously doubt he's 5' 10" in skates.

In regard to MZA, I don't feel qualified to state an opinion. I've only seen one game in which he played, and while it didn't look very good I have to not that A. I wasn't watching for him and B. it is difficult to look good when your team is getting smoked at both ends of the ice.

I don't know. The numbers he's put up in Modo make him a very interesting prospect, but his size and the lack of impact from other over-hyped prospects (Leino & Brunnstrom) makes me leery. I'm all for trying to sign him, but if he's going to make ridiculous demands then I'd take a pass.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Cleary=Jerry Gergich

i wouldnt mind this at all MZA looked great in the olympics and is only 22

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:19 PM
DetBigWangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussha View Post

Exactly, if you don't have size or strength in this new nhl, but you have a lot of speed, there is still a lot of room for a player to be successful (ie. Pat Kane). I find that lack of speed has been more of a limitation in Hudler than his size. For a 5 foot 9 midget Hudler actually has decent strength, but his major limitation is that he doesn't have wheels. You give Hudler wheels like Darren Helm and you would have a very special player even with his size limitations.
Thing is though, whenever I saw Hudler play, his movements wasn't bad in terms of acceleration and changing directions, it was just his max downhill speed that was nil.

DetBigWangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:25 PM
Datsyuk2Zetterberg

since the wings don't have much in terms of prospects I'm hoping this is true, and the wings can condition him well after that.

Datsyuk2Zetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 04:42 PM
mottjm7

Quote:
Exactly, worst case scenario it ends up like the Leino situation and get a low draft pick or a player out of it. It is a cheap way to fill a roster spot and the reward would be hugeeee if it pans out.

But who knows, maybe having fellow Norwegian OKT in the AHL could get him to sign a 2 way deal for 1 season.
conclusion: potential reward > potential loss

if he doesnt make it then we lost what? a roster spot and a few bucks?

if he does make it we gain a hudler like player for nothing.

I would ratehr give this kid a shot than Jason Williams

mottjm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwingsfan View Post
Aren't all entry level contracts two-way?
They are. The agent doesn't know what he is talking about. Fabian Brunnström was saying the same thing two years ago. "I want a one-way."

MZA is pretty good defensively. Was a regular on the PK for Modo this season.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:27 PM
r0bert8841

I saw every Norwegian game for the Olympics because of OKT and MZA. Their was an article at the beginning of the year with quotes from Hakan Andersson talking about MZA and how he is NHL ready, so I knew the Wings were interested in the kid so I wanted to see what he could do. The numbers don't really tell the whole story, everytime he was on the ice it was noticeable he was a level above the rest. In the games vs US and Canada, he had turned a few all-star calibre defensemen around (I think one was EJ). He also didn't shy away from contact, in fact he was the exact opposite, very feisty and agressive along the boards. In the first 2 games (vs US and Can) he produced 90% of Norway's chances. He was also very good defensively too. He seemed like the only forward on Norway who could really defend. In the game against the Swiss, which was one of the best games in the tourney, he was huge. MZA really looked more than NHL ready and he looked like he had no problem with the physicality.

And for those who were wondering, yes he is fast.

Old
03-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Yemack

Small size doesn't concern me that much. Although our team is bit too heavy on those. What's a size advantage really needed for nowadays anyway? Board battles + forechecking.. skill can cover other aspects of the game easily.

My only concern is him being able to translate his game in NHL for 82 games long a season and playoffs. You just can't expect him to show his olympic performance and motivation for a season long.

Anyways, even if he's only half good as people are saying, If Wings can get him, it would be fantastic.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:57 PM
r0bert8841

Well size helps alot to protect the puck like Hossa always does

Old
03-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Yemack

Quote:
Well size helps alot to protect the puck like Hossa always does
true but big players protect the puck with body, small players do it with quickness.

Bigger players are stronger, small players are quicker. I know, captain obvious.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:29 PM
Bob Probert Owns You

Send a message via AIM to Bob Probert Owns You
I am always a fan of signing prospects that don't cost any resources... let's do it.

Bob Probert Owns You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:58 PM
petesrw

But it could cost us. We aren't going to have spare cap room once we fill the roster next year. Signing MZA to a one way contract could potentially force Holland to not re-sign someone like Miller or Maltby.

petesrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:09 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

I'm not excited because we already have enough small guys in the system. If the guy was at least 5'10, then I might think we have something here, maybe

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:26 PM
sarcastro

If he can score I don't care how big he is.

That being said, I have serious doubts about his scoring ability at this time and I'd have to see him play some NHL games before I'd be able to tell if those doubts are accurate or not.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:12 PM
Anchor Town

Leads the SEL in points and is only 22? I'll give him a shot

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:52 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by the banks View Post
Leads the SEL in points and is only 22? I'll give him a shot
I'd be willing to give him a shot, but let's not pretend that leading the SEL in points is any kind of guarantee of NHL success.

Looking at the top 10 in SEL scoring this year, it's a long list of guys that either were never good enough to get invited to an NHL training camp or had brief, unproductive NHL careers and went to the SEL because it pays better than the AHL.

Last year's leading scorer? Per-Age Skroder, who despite having one of the all-time great last names in sports, has played productive hockey in the SEL into his 30s and not gotten a sniff from the NHL.

Same deal with Tony Martensson, the leading scorer from 07-08. Played a couple years in the AHL with pretty good but not great numbers, had a cup of coffee in the NHL, then went to Sweden for the lockout and stayed there.

Etc.

And none of these guys have the size issues that Zuccarello has.

Doesn't mean that he CAN'T play well in the NHL, doesn't mean they shouldn't give him a try, but who was the last guy to come over from Europe undrafted and become a star player in the NHL? There have been a lot of guys that got hype, from Brunnstrom to Leino and so on. None of those guys turned out to be particularly good. There are reasons that these guys didn't get drafted, and they're usually the same reasons why they don't end up panning out in the NHL.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:54 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

The pint-sized Swede to get is Freddie Pettersson.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:29 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I'd be willing to give him a shot, but let's not pretend that leading the SEL in points is any kind of guarantee of NHL success.

Looking at the top 10 in SEL scoring this year, it's a long list of guys that either were never good enough to get invited to an NHL training camp or had brief, unproductive NHL careers and went to the SEL because it pays better than the AHL.

Last year's leading scorer? Per-Age Skroder, who despite having one of the all-time great last names in sports, has played productive hockey in the SEL into his 30s and not gotten a sniff from the NHL.

Same deal with Tony Martensson, the leading scorer from 07-08. Played a couple years in the AHL with pretty good but not great numbers, had a cup of coffee in the NHL, then went to Sweden for the lockout and stayed there.

Etc.

And none of these guys have the size issues that Zuccarello has.
and none of those guys are as young at MZA

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote