HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

#70 - 03.16.2010 | Montréal Canadiens @ New York Rangers | 7:30 PM - VS. (HD)

Old
03-17-2010, 11:26 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Or the money to get completely trashed at the game and turn into a jerk
Yes, this too.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:33 AM
Salz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan72 View Post
Is this a Ranger fan complaining about how obnoxious Habs fans were and how they should show etiquette?!?!?!?!?!? Go to the NVMC for a ranger-islander game.
Like I said, you should show etiquette at ROAD games.

Salz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 12:56 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Just saw the best thread ever posted on the main boards: "Henrik Lundqvist deserves to be on a better team."

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 02:42 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I still can't believe the type of performance they put out in a must win game. I know some of you will say "They've played like this all season, blah blah blah" but they were coming off 2 solid wins and had a chance to get right back in the top 8 and possibly look towards the 7th and 6th seed and completely mailed it in. No sense of urgency at all. Just nothing outside of Avery and Lundqvist.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:20 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
The Rangers playing terribly is the reason I didn't say anything to them, but I still thought they were a lot more obnoxious than the ordinary road fan. They were arrogant and attention seeking. I have a very strong dislike for the Habs now.
What I don't understand is why there would be many Habs fans at MSG.
Every night MSG is sold out, having a sold out arena usually is the best way to eradicate road fans, since tickets are so expensive and hard to get.
It baffles me how despite the Rangers superior popularity over the Isles and Devils there still are it seems just as many road fans at MSG as there are at those places.
Mind boggling.

mucker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:33 PM
FOXHOUND*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeS View Post
What I don't understand is why there would be many Habs fans at MSG.
Every night MSG is sold out, having a sold out arena usually is the best way to eradicate road fans, since tickets are so expensive and hard to get.
It baffles me how despite the Rangers superior popularity over the Isles and Devils there still are it seems just as many road fans at MSG as there are at those places.
Mind boggling.
Not at all when it comes to the Canadiens. They have the best road attendance in the NHL and their fans are the most rabid by far.

FOXHOUND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:51 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOXHOUND View Post
Not at all when it comes to the Canadiens. They have the best road attendance in the NHL and their fans are the most rabid by far.
Other teams in the US which sell out routinely (PIT/PHI) have drastically cut down on Habs fans.
One would think that when the Habs are at MSG they wouldn't have that many, certainly a lot less than on the Island or at NJ, but it sounds and looks just as loud.

I don't get why MSG is sold out nightly, but we get swamped with roads fans just as much as NJ and the Islanders do even though they have much more seats available.

Common sense would say, if you have three local teams, one which sells out, the others which don't come close, that road fans will be much scarcer at the sold out team...I don't get why the Rangers being the team which sells out and is by far most popular doesn't do much better than the others in terms of keeping road fans out.

Old
03-17-2010, 07:54 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Other teams in the US which sell out routinely (PIT/PHI) have drastically cut down on Habs fans.
One would think that when the Habs are at MSG they wouldn't have that many, certainly a lot less than on the Island or at NJ, but it sounds and looks just as loud.

I don't get why MSG is sold out nightly, but we get swamped with roads fans just as much as NJ and the Islanders do even though they have much more seats available.

Common sense would say, if you have three local teams, one which sells out, the others which don't come close, that road fans will be much scarcer at the sold out team...I don't get why the Rangers being the team which sells out and is by far most popular doesn't do much better than the others in terms of keeping road fans out.
1. This year especially, there have been many tickets available on ticketmaster.

2. Many Rangers STH sell their tickets. It's part of being a holder. This year it's been harder than ever to sell tickets, this means people will sell them to whoever will buy them, Rangers fan or not. Also, many people will sell their tickets on ebay, ticket exchange, stubhub, etc. These anonymous ways of selling tickets means, that there is no screening process when buying. Also ticket brokers buy a lot of tickets, they have no allegiance except to money.

3. Habs fans are loud and don't care what you think, unlike most North American sports fans who are afraid to get loud.

4. Habs fans are crazy and are willing to drive 6 hours to see their team, plus it's easier to get Rangers tickets for them than Canadiens tickets.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:24 PM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salz View Post
How obnoxious were the Habs fans last night? They were chanting 'Olle' all night and after they won started a "nah nah nah nah, nah nah nah nah, hey hey hey, good bye" chant. You're supposed to shoe etiquette at a road arena and they didn't. When I watch my teams play on the road, I root for them politely but I'm not a loud dick about it. They are real jerks.
You mean like Yankees and Red Sox fans? Perhaps you should ask Whalers fans to recall their fondest memories of Rangers fans showing etiquette at the Hartford Civic Center.

CTHabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:55 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTHabsfan View Post
You mean like Yankees and Red Sox fans? Perhaps you should ask Whalers fans to recall their fondest memories of Rangers fans showing etiquette at the Hartford Civic Center.
OK...well ask you.

Old
03-17-2010, 08:57 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
1. This year especially, there have been many tickets available on ticketmaster.

2. Many Rangers STH sell their tickets. It's part of being a holder. This year it's been harder than ever to sell tickets, this means people will sell them to whoever will buy them, Rangers fan or not. Also, many people will sell their tickets on ebay, ticket exchange, stubhub, etc. These anonymous ways of selling tickets means, that there is no screening process when buying. Also ticket brokers buy a lot of tickets, they have no allegiance except to money.

3. Habs fans are loud and don't care what you think, unlike most North American sports fans who are afraid to get loud.

4. Habs fans are crazy and are willing to drive 6 hours to see their team, plus it's easier to get Rangers tickets for them than Canadiens tickets.
1. What do you mean tixmaster has had tickets? How can MSG claim to be sold out nightly but be advertising for tixs? Are you talking ticket exchange or just plain old face value?
If you sell out nightly, you don't advertise or have tix on ticketmaster.

2. Why are Ranger tickets harder to sell this season, interest decline? Seems contradictory if the box score still reads 18,2000.

3. The simple fact remains, if you sell out every night, a real true sell out, you do not have the tix available for a road team to come in larger numbers.
It makes no sense that MSG has just as many Habs or Sabres fans as NJ or NYI when we sell out nightly.

Old
03-17-2010, 09:12 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan72 View Post
Is this a Ranger fan complaining about how obnoxious Habs fans were and how they should show etiquette?!?!?!?!?!? Go to the NVMC for a ranger-islander game.
And vise-versa.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:13 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Quote:
1. What do you mean tixmaster has had tickets? How can MSG claim to be sold out nightly but be advertising for tixs? Are you talking ticket exchange or just plain old face value?

2. Why are Ranger tickets harder to sell this season, interest decline? Seems contradictory if the box score still reads 18,2000.

3. The simple fact remains, if you sell out every night, a real true sell out, you do not have the tix available for a road team to come in larger numbers.
It makes no sense that MSG has just as many Habs or Sabres fans as NJ or NYI when we sell out nightly.
1. They don't sell out every game. MSG fabricates the numbers because there's been games where you could get blocks of tickets together minutes before gametime.

2. No one's gonna shell out a ton of money for a ****** team.

3. Again, they don't sell out every game. And the Sabres and Habs always bring tons of fans. It's like that with every arena, not just the Garden.

NYRFAN218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:54 PM
mucker*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
1. They don't sell out every game. MSG fabricates the numbers because there's been games where you could get blocks of tickets together minutes before gametime.

2. No one's gonna shell out a ton of money for a ****** team.

3. Again, they don't sell out every game. And the Sabres and Habs always bring tons of fans. It's like that with every arena, not just the Garden.
So the whole line about 18,200 is a total fabrication?
How do they do it?
Does MSG just buy unsold tixs?

If they do this, why don't the Devils or Isles do it as well to bolster attendance?
I mean the box score reads 18,200...I find it hard to believe MSG would fabricate it nightly unless everybody leaguewide did.
Yet you don't see the Devils or Isles doing it (they still get 12,000).

How long have MSG sellouts been soft?
What would you guess the true normal paid attendance is?

Old
03-18-2010, 12:57 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
It seems like MSG reserves X amount of tickets for popular games to go on sale a day or two before the game as well. Looking to make a little more $ on high demand tickets.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 08:23 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:

1. Straight up ticketmaster.com has had tons and tons of seats available before game time for quite a few games. Also when you go to the Garden, especially in the lower bowl, there are many empty seats.

2. Rangers tickets are harder to sell for three reasons. First, the economy is bad, people are going to be less inclined to buy tickets for a Rangers game. Second, the team sucks. Third, prices keeping increasing each season to the point where people don't want to buy. We've had to sell so many tickets below face value this year, especially to Western Conference games. The only games we can easily sell are divisional games.

3. Because we don't truly sell out, because Rangers fans also sell their tickets to these people, because they may be willing to spend more money to go to a game at MSG since it's impossible to get tickets to to their own arena.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 08:57 PM
mucker*

Well what I don't understand, and maybe we need a new thread, is why the Rangers have announced sell out crowds every night but people claim they are a farce.

1) How does MSG do this? I mean...if MSG is cooking the books...then why don't other teams?
-How are they able to claim a sell out when there isn't one?

2) If they do this, why do they do it, and why isn't it more common practice leaguewide?
-Why don't the Flyers when they are 100 short buy the rest?
-Why don't the Devils or Islanders buy blocks of tickets to pad their box scores?
-If the Rangers really are padding the attendance, which I'm not sure they do, then why don't other teams?
-You would think this would be commonplace and teams like the Islanders would do the same to a greater to avoid the embarrassment of 12,000 nightly.

3) If you had to guess since you go so often, what would you say the "true" paying attendance average for the year is?
-How many "true" sell-outs do we really have?
-Are we really doing much better than the Devils or Islanders?