HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Jordan Schroeder Thread

Old
03-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Placebo Effect

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
Sorry, I meant $$ figures. I know it's based on ranges as to when they were drafted, perhaps on the year they were drafted as well, so it should be fairly straight forward so if anyone knows I'd love to find out.
Max compensation for a 2009 draftee is $900,000. Then whatever for bonuses.

Quote:
The following is a list of the only performance bonuses that may be included in a
Player's Entry Level SPC. Each bonus is stated in terms of both the category of
performance and the minimum level of performance required for such bonus. For certain
bonuses, there is a limit on the amount payable for the bonus as set forth below. Bonuses
paid under this provision are outside the Entry Level Compensation limits. No other
performance bonuses, except games played bonuses, may be included in a Player's Entry
Level SPC. Final National Hockey League statistics shall be utilized in determining
whether a Player achieved an Exhibit 5 bonus. No post season challenges to the final
statistics will be entertained. All bonuses relating to statistical achievement shall be
based on the Player's performance in Regular Season Games only.

1. Individual "A" Bonuses Paid by Clubs

The maximum amount payable for any single category of Individual "A" Bonuses
identified below is $212,500 per season. (For example, an Entry Level SPC may not
contain bonuses of $212,500 for 20 goals and an additional $212,500 for 30 goals,
provided, however, it may contain a bonus of $100,000 for 20 goals and $112,500 for 30
goals). An Entry Level SPC may contain any number of Individual "A" Bonuses;
however, a Player may not receive more than $850,000 in total aggregate Individual "A"
Bonuses per season. Individual "A" Bonuses are payable by the Clubs (as opposed to the
League).
Someone mentioned something about having Schroeder signing a PTO then ELC? What does his him signing an ELC and no PTO do? What are the requirements for him to use up a year of his ELC?

Last edited by Placebo Effect: 03-17-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:12 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythescot View Post
Great news. So when does he get his first game with the Moose?
According to a report in a Winnipeg newspaper he is to be in Vancouver tomorrow for a press conference and it is unknown when he will be available to the Moose.
Quote:
Schroeder is expected to be assigned to the Moose but will be in Vancouver for a press conference Thursday, so it is not yet known if he’ll be available for this weekend’s games against the Grand Rapids Griffins.
http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/ho.../13262561.html

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Scouter

vCash: 385
I'm not sure if this is the best move myself as an armchair GM, he does have some pretty nice offensive skills right now, but it's his strength and defensive skills that the NCAA was good for, I'm not the Canucks however, and if they think it's a good move then I'm onboard until they prove otherwise.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 06:59 PM
Bgav
We Stylin'

vCash: 1752
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman3 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the best move myself as an armchair GM, he does have some pretty nice offensive skills right now, but it's his strength and defensive skills that the NCAA was good for, I'm not the Canucks however, and if they think it's a good move then I'm onboard until they prove otherwise.
you would rather have him rot in minny?

Bgav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:05 PM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetcoastwhale View Post
I think this is letting the player off the hook, as if his environment passively forced a bad year on him. He was supposed to be the leader and best player on Minnesota, and they crapped the bed this year. What about the WJs, where he was good, but not great? Whose fault was that?

There are some character issues surrounding Jordan (hence why he slipped to us in the first place) and it really is up to him to get his act together and prove that he can be a good pro.
This.

And I hope he can the same in Manitoba as that team - now without Grabner - doesn't have THAT many other offensive options either aside from Shirokov and Dallas' prospect Rosa. I mean Mike Keane - 43 years old - still gets lots of ice time for cripes sakes.

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:06 PM
Scouter

vCash: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
you would rather have him rot in minny?
That's just your opinion and it's debatable.

Last edited by Scouter: 03-17-2010 at 07:42 PM.
Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:17 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Seems quite a bit more than something out of nothing. There have been articles published speculating on the state of the Canucks relationship with Hodgson.

You may choose to ignore the issue and dismiss it but others certainly have not.
Others? You mean the rumour mongers and spin doctors of fluff pieces in the Province and Sun? Controversy sells right, even if it's fabricated.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:27 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Seems quite a bit more than something out of nothing. There have been articles published speculating on the state of the Canucks relationship with Hodgson.

You may choose to ignore the issue and dismiss it but others certainly have not.
There have also been articles published speculating that Aliens are controlling White House.

There have also been articles published speculating that tinfoil hats are effective at deterring mind controlling/reading effects.

You may choose to take the issue seriously but others certainly have not.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
Max compensation for a 2009 draftee is $900,000. Then whatever for bonuses.

Someone mentioned something about having Schroeder signing a PTO then ELC? What does his him signing an ELC and no PTO do? What are the requirements for him to use up a year of his ELC?
If a player is 18 or 19 and plays ten NHL games (regular season and play-offs) then he burns a year off his ELC. It does not apply to AHL games.

If he is 20 years of age it relates to years of "professional experience" which includes the NHL and AHL.
Quote:
For the purposes of this Section 10.2(a) (my note Group 2 RFA status), a Player aged 18 or 19 earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more NHL Games in a given NHL Season, and a Player aged 20 or older (or who turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the year in which he signs his first SPC) earns a year of professional experience by playing ten (10) or more Professional Games under an SPC in a given League Year.
Then you have to consider salary arbitration eligibility as well which uses the same formula.
Code:
SPC Signing Age.....Minimum Level of Professional Experience Required to be Eligible for Salary Arbitration 
18-20.............................4 years professional experience 
21.................................3 years professional experience 
22-23............................2 years professional experience 
24 and older...................1 year professional experience
As Schroeder's birthdate is 29 Sept 1990 (he is currently 19) then it appears that since he will turn 20 between September 16 and December 31 of the year in which he signed his first SPC, if he plays 10 or more games with the Moose (or the Canucks) he will burn a year off his ELC and year off his arbitration ineligibility.

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 03-17-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:32 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
If you recall before the draft and all the talk afterwards, Schroeder has proven that his strength is top of his draft class at the Combine. He is not going to develop his strength any more in the WCHA. If anything, he will develop better defensive skills in the AHL as the play is much more similar to NHL than the WCHA. Not only does he get a chance to adjust to a smaller rink, but he will also adjust to the MUCH longer schedule if he plays there next season.

I fail to see any negatives about this move.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:46 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
If you recall before the draft and all the talk afterwards, Schroeder has proven that his strength is top of his draft class at the Combine. He is not going to develop his strength any more in the WCHA. If anything, he will develop better defensive skills in the AHL as the play is much more similar to NHL than the WCHA. Not only does he get a chance to adjust to a smaller rink, but he will also adjust to the MUCH longer schedule if he plays there next season.

I fail to see any negatives about this move.
That and the MN program has been garbage ever since the Canucks had a prospect on them. They were 1st 1st and 3rd in the WCHA in the years before White, then have gone 5th, 7th and 7th in the WCHA with White and Schroeder.

timw33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 08:56 PM
Bleach Clean

Well if we do find out that it was the program and not the player, then I'll definately be looking more intently at what White does from here on in. Still elated that trade was made by Gillis. Ehrhoff has been stellar. But I'd be a lot more curious if Shroeder is suddenly able to elevate his game for the Moose.

Bleach Clean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 09:51 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Quote:
He's thicker than Raymond was when he joined the Moose. Raymond was fairly successful with the Moose too.

StrictlyCommercial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:18 PM
Meganuck*

Has he put on any size since last season?

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 10:32 PM
orcatown

Felt for awhile that Schroeder needed to move out of the NCAA. At present, plays with little contact and basically tries to find or create space. On the big surface that game and be effective but in the NHL you've got to be able to constantly compete one on one for the puck and position. I think it would have been far better for Schroeder to have battled in Junior hockey this year . It will be a major and difficult transition moving on to the AHL. From what I have seen Schroeder will have up his compete level a lot.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:01 PM
Street Hawk

coaching

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Felt for awhile that Schroeder needed to move out of the NCAA. At present, plays with little contact and basically tries to find or create space. On the big surface that game and be effective but in the NHL you've got to be able to constantly compete one on one for the puck and position. I think it would have been far better for Schroeder to have battled in Junior hockey this year . It will be a major and difficult transition moving on to the AHL. From what I have seen Schroeder will have up his compete level a lot.
One of the main reasons the Nucks wanted Jordan to join the Silvertips is because Craig Hartsburg is the coach in Everett. Same with Connaughton with Hay and the Giants. Nucks like the coaching that the players would/have gotten with Hay and Hartsburg.

I think Jordan should have left Minnesota. Program has not done well lately. Connaughton has done great with the Giants this year. Too bad Schroeder didn't join him in the WHL.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
According to a report in a Winnipeg newspaper he is to be in Vancouver tomorrow for a press conference and it is unknown when he will be available to the Moose.

http://www.winnipegsun.com/sports/ho.../13262561.html
Maybe never? Sammy's out, and Jordan's a center with a RH shot who can play RW. (Yes I'm aware they recalled Grabner, just sayin'...)

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:10 PM
RJC

Will be very interesting to see how jordan plays against the big boys, although Div.1 hockey is no joke.

RJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:21 PM
lush
@jasonlush

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
Will be very interesting to see how jordan plays against the big boys, although Div.1 hockey is no joke.
That's prettymuch how I feel as well, which is I'm not going to predict how well he does and instead just wait and see.

From what I've heard, gopher fans were disappointed in him this year. They said his heart wasn't in it, his compete wasn't there, etc. etc.

That could be the case, or it could simply be a bad team, bad organization and the easiest person to single out is the player whose had success in the past, success in international tournaments, etc.

Kind of reminds me of Iginla and the Flames to be honest.

lush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:25 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lush View Post
From what I've heard, gopher fans were disappointed in him this year. They said his heart wasn't in it, his compete wasn't there, etc. etc.
Yes, I've heard this, but I'm willing to give him a pass:

I think Gillis went hard in conversation to turn pro. Obviously turning Pro, making money, etc is a tempting offer for any player, and when things at UMinn started going south, perhaps Schroeder started longing for the Pros and maybe regretting the decision to stay at university a little.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:28 PM
RJC

I think coaching/development on a NHL/AHL team compared to a NCAA team is night and day.

They will goto work on this kid pretty quick and we'll see some nice results when he adjusts to the pro game.

Last edited by RJC: 03-17-2010 at 11:41 PM.
Old
03-17-2010, 11:36 PM
Rover*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJC View Post
I think coaching/development on a NHL/AHL team compared to a NCAA team is light and day.

They will goto work on this kid pretty quick and we'll see some nice results when he adjusts to the pro game.

Rover* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Slapshot_11

Do the moose got any big physical skilled players to play with Schroeder?

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2010, 11:41 PM
RJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyze View Post
my bad

Old
03-18-2010, 01:17 AM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
Do the moose got any big physical skilled players to play with Schroeder?
Schroeder doesn't need to be protected. He's not big, but he doesn't get knocked around like a rag doll every shift.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote