HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Attendance averages mean what????

Closed Thread

Old
02-01-2005, 10:08 PM
tritone

vCash: 500
Attendance averages mean what????

1 Montreal --20,555
2 Detroit --20,066
3 Toronto --19,376
4 Philadelphia --19,375
5 Vancouver --18,630
7 Minnesota --18,530
9 NY Rangers --18,073
10 Colorado --18,007
12 Tampa Bay --17,820
22 Boston --15,070
24 New Jersey --14,912
27 Chicago --13,253
28 Nashville --13,177
29 Carolina --12,171
30 Pittsburgh --11,877

Based on most of the comments I've read on these boards (including my own comments) Most of us feel that if there is contraction we should get rid of the teams that have no fan base and a few teams are usually mentioned often such as Carolina and Pittsburgh BUT ... Chicago? New Jersey?? Boston??? I am honestly quite surprised that these 3 teams are in the bottom tier for attendance . I can't imagine a league without the Bruins for us Habs to beat up on in the playoffs . What other standard would you guys use to justify contraction of teams if it were necessary?

Old
02-01-2005, 10:16 PM
Habs13

I'm against wipping outteams.. it isn't fair to the fans. I might not be a French-Canadian but I was teary eyed when Quebec lost the Nords. (Although, many of their fans became Habs fans after that) I wasn't at all happy to see Winnipeg and Hartford lose their teams either.

Anyway, a round of applause to us Habs fans for once again leading the league in attendance!

I can't speak for Boston or New Jersey, but, I would asume that the low attendance in Pittsburgh and Carolina is due in part to their teams icing a poor line-up. Once the cap is in place, hopefully both teams will be able to be competative again. Boston and New Jersey have other major sports to keep fans occupied I suppose..

Old
02-01-2005, 10:23 PM
hosehead

I think alot of it has to do with the market, for example Chicago has ruined their market by icing lousy teams & not really give the fans hope the team is doing whatever it takes to improve. Chicago has also blacked out home games on local TV for years, so there may well be a lost generation of fans -- I think history has shown that Chicago can be an excellent market, same with Boston. On the other hand despite success New Jersey has been a hard sell in that market & I think part of it is competition for the entertainment dollar & a poor building. Some other markets such as Nashville may not be strong enough to support a team -- ie not enough fans to go to the games & buy merchandise but maybe haven't really been given enough time, although I'm really not sure about that market.

Old
02-02-2005, 07:14 PM
tritone

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosehead
I think alot of it has to do with the market, for example Chicago has ruined their market by icing lousy teams & not really give the fans hope the team is doing whatever it takes to improve. Chicago has also blacked out home games on local TV for years, so there may well be a lost generation of fans -- I think history has shown that Chicago can be an excellent market, same with Boston. On the other hand despite success New Jersey has been a hard sell in that market & I think part of it is competition for the entertainment dollar & a poor building. Some other markets such as Nashville may not be strong enough to support a team -- ie not enough fans to go to the games & buy merchandise but maybe haven't really been given enough time, although I'm really not sure about that market.
So before contraction you'd prefer to let some teams like Nashville go a couple more years and see what happens?
What if you had to eliminate 5 temas for the start of next season , would you go with the 5 lowest on the list ?

Old
02-02-2005, 09:58 PM
hosehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritone
So before contraction you'd prefer to let some teams like Nashville go a couple more years and see what happens?
What if you had to eliminate 5 temas for the start of next season , would you go with the 5 lowest on the list ?
If we had to get rid of 5 teams, I'd use attendance average as one of the criteria but I'd definately use other criteria like market size & I'd guess we need to figure in the chances of a team actually surviving in its market -- so for sure I'd get rid of Carolina & Nashville. My thought on Nashville was that maybe if the team started to win it would get some attention but over the long haul I doubt it can survive. I'd also get rid of Pittsburgh, Florida & Anaheim. These would seem to be teams in the weakest markets. These are off the top of my head -- maybe other poster have some arguments for or against these choices

Old
02-03-2005, 11:25 PM
felixd

Having lived in New Jersey, I can honestly say that not that many people care about hockey there. Sure, there are the diehards, but apart from that, there are no average fans. I got tickets to Game 7 against Anaheim a couple years ago on game day. See what I am talking about? Even if they do get a new arena in Newark...I don't want to be racist, but Newark is predominantly black, and I doubt their attendance will rise much with a new arena in Newark.

Old
02-04-2005, 08:43 AM
Vic Rattlehead*

Boston's capacity is 17565. It's pretty normal that the average attendance is low, because of that and the fact that there are many in Boston who are upset with ownership.

EDIT----Contraction is stupid. It will fix nothing. Also, Chicago and Boston will never be contracted as they play a big part in the history of the NHL and it would be insane to get rid of those fanbases.

Last edited by Vic Rattlehead*: 02-04-2005 at 08:48 AM.
Old
02-04-2005, 09:04 AM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19bruins19
Boston's capacity is 17565. It's pretty normal that the average attendance is low, because of that and the fact that there are many in Boston who are upset with ownership.

EDIT----Contraction is stupid. It will fix nothing. Also, Chicago and Boston will never be contracted as they play a big part in the history of the NHL and it would be insane to get rid of those fanbases.
Relax,I don't think anyone is thinking your beloved Bruins are in danger. Teams leave when their ownership can't turn a profit or pay their bills and that certainly isn't the case in Boston. I'd prefer a smaller league but I'm well aware that when your team leaves, it hurts, and I don't wish that on anyone. If Carolina has a small but loyal fan base, I'd feel pretty bad for that group of people if their team left. Depending on what the league looks like after all this stupidity, you never know what could happen though.

Old
02-04-2005, 09:10 AM
Darz

Quote:
EDIT----Contraction is stupid. It will fix nothing.
I disagree. If the league was to eliminate 6 teams, that would allow the remaining 24 teams to ice a better product.

Quote:
Also, Chicago and Boston will never be contracted as they play a big part in the history of the NHL and it would be insane to get rid of those fanbases.
I don't think anyone would disagree with you. Boston and Chicago have wide spread fan bases, and no one in the league would ever suggest contracting either franchise.

02-04-2005, 07:26 PM
tritone

Quote:

I don't think anyone was talking about Boston being part of contraction , breathe . I was saying I can't imagine the NHL without Boston

Old
02-04-2005, 11:07 PM
Brisson11

Send a message via MSN to Brisson11
Buffalo needs to call it quits. They have no fan support in thei building and their team is so-so. I'd rather see Satan, and the more skilled ones on other teams to increase competition.

Old
02-06-2005, 03:52 AM
Habbadasher

I have heard that there may be only 50,000 fans in Chicago.

I can also tell you that despite being called "HockeyTown", hockey in Detroit is often buried next to the stats page in the local papers.

Hockey us just not that important in the U.S., I have heard that it may be ranked 50th most popular sport in the U.S.

Closed Thread