Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Vili Sopanen

Old
12-09-2007, 12:56 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Vili Sopanen

I was just wondering if someone could translate this scouting report for me. Also what sort of potential this kid has. He is putting up ok stats in the SMLiga this year and wonder if he has any sort of NHL potential.

http://www.sm-liiga.fi/arkisto/pelic...-pelicans.html

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 05:55 AM
RuuhkaTukka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
I was just wondering if someone could translate this scouting report for me. Also what sort of potential this kid has. He is putting up ok stats in the SMLiga this year and wonder if he has any sort of NHL potential.

http://www.sm-liiga.fi/arkisto/pelicans/scouting-report-22007-vili-sopanen-pelicans.html
Strengts:

Big player, good with puck. Can deke and challenge. Willing to play in tight situations and doesn´t mind being hit. Efficient in front of the net as he keeps his eyes to the puck and his stick on ice.

Something to develope:

Scating technique and strenght on scates. On defence his understanding of the game and his technique limits his efficiency. Is not a good two way player.

Comment, Jukka Jalonen, coach, Finnis national team:

Has had a good start for this season. His teams offencive style suits Sopanen well as he get´s to play with his strenghts. Plays with high selfesteem. Can pass, protect the puck and score. I wouldn´t put him on ice yet in critical moment´s of the game as he always plays at limit (makes risky decisions, won´t play safe). Propably due to his young age can´t decide when to take risks and when to play it safe. When team is trailing he is very useable. His defencive game should improve if he doesn´t lose his patience and will. These things are a lot easier to teache that puck skills and vision.

Edit: I can´t really comment on his potential as I have seen him play only two times. Maby he has a chance as he is scoring despite his young age. Also he is coached by one of the best finnish coaches, Hannu Aravirta. I suppose it is up to him to become a big player.

RuuhkaTukka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2007, 11:10 AM
edd1e

I doubt he'll end up in NHL, just because it's the safer bet at this point.. but what do i know?

Last edited by edd1e: 12-09-2007 at 11:19 AM.
edd1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2007, 02:00 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Fair enough, worth a gamble in the late rounds i'd imagine.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 01:04 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

can anyone give me an update on how he's doing this season/of late?

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
can anyone give me an update on how he's doing this season/of late?
Has been on a scoring tear the last nine games or so and has broken the 20-goal mark for the first time but Pelicans have had a rough year and are 13th in a 14 team league.

Not sure he's done enough to warrant a look by the Devils this summer but there are rumours he may be leaving Lahti.

Tony Piscotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:08 PM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Piscotta View Post
Not sure he's done enough to warrant a look by the Devils this summer but there are rumours he may be leaving Lahti.
If he stays in Finland, he'll most likely move to Hifk along with his little brother Iiro, who's also a rather potential kid(stats).

Hifk's GM has tried to sign the two brothers for a couple of years now and Iiro already was with Hifk in the 09 pre-season.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:34 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

It'd be nice to get the two together, i'm sure they'll have tremendous chemistry.

Last edited by onefatsurfer: 08-16-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old
08-16-2010, 07:23 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

http://www.jatkoaika.com/smliiga.php?pelaaja=5245

Google Translator didn't do too well with this, can any of you guys translate it? specifically these parts:

Omaa suomalaispelaajille harvinaista isojen pelien ratkaisupotentiaalia. Röyhkeä taiteilijaluonne, joka pelaa korkealla itseluottamuksella illasta toiseen. Loistava harhauttelija, osaa ja uskaltaa tehdä yllättäviäkin ratkaisuja. Isosta varresta huolimatta pehmeät kädet, todella taitava suojaamaan pelivälinettä. Ulottuvana hyvä kiekonriistäjä.

Sopanen treenaa paljon ja haluaa tehdä kaikkensa joukkueen eteen, mutta stressaa omasta menestyksestään ja kehittymisestään niin paljon, että kentällä ympäröivät tekijät pääsevät välillä unohtumaan.

Is he developing any more at this point? Any chance he makes the NHL some day?

Last edited by onefatsurfer: 08-16-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old
08-16-2010, 11:52 PM
janecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefatsurfer View Post
can any of you guys translate it? specifically these parts:
Omaa suomalaispelaajille harvinaista isojen pelien ratkaisupotentiaalia. Röyhkeä taiteilijaluonne, joka pelaa korkealla itseluottamuksella illasta toiseen. Loistava harhauttelija, osaa ja uskaltaa tehdä yllättäviäkin ratkaisuja. Isosta varresta huolimatta pehmeät kädet, todella taitava suojaamaan pelivälinettä. Ulottuvana hyvä kiekonriistäjä.

Sopanen treenaa paljon ja haluaa tehdä kaikkensa joukkueen eteen, mutta stressaa omasta menestyksestään ja kehittymisestään niin paljon, että kentällä ympäröivät tekijät pääsevät välillä unohtumaan.
"Has big-game-clinching potential uncommon to Finnish players. Brash bohemian personality who plays night in, night out, with high confidence. Great deker, is able and has the courage to make even surprising decisions (with the puck). Soft hands despite his large frame, really skillful at shielding the puck. Good at takeaways because of his reach.

Sopanen practices a lot and wants to give his everything for the team, but is so anxious about his own success and development that the surrounding factors on the ice occasionally slip his mind."

The meaning of the last sentence ("surrounding factors" etc.) is just as unclear in Finnish as it is in English, by the way.

janecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 07:45 AM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

thanks hopefully he progresses more this season. i watched a couple videos on youtube and he's definitely got skill

Old
02-08-2011, 01:46 PM
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

New article, and google translate did an abysmal job with it.. Can any of you guys help?
http://www.ess.fi/?article=312900

Old
02-09-2011, 02:46 AM
ES

Basically it is about his return to Pelicans (he moved to JYP last summer, didn't succeed, had try-out in Sweden in January and was released after that, returned to Finland)

Starting as third line winger, coach Pasi Räsänen says that it is good to start with familiar center, Tommi Paakkolanvaara. But otherwise the article isn't really about Sopanen, but the upcoming game against Kärpät (the game was played last Tuesday, Kärpät won 3-1)

ES is offline   Reply With Quote