HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best powerplay this upcoming season?

Closed Thread

Old
09-26-2003, 06:25 PM
Spaceace

vCash: 500
Skrastins?? A Nashville reject?? And I thought Foote only played on the PK?? And the Blues' 4th PP d-man is either Salvador or Khavanov,but Salvy will be out until Nov. due to a surgery he had. That's why they signed Murray Baron. And Skoula has great "puck poise"

Old
09-26-2003, 06:30 PM
Aerolanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by weight39
Skrastins?? A Nashville reject?? And I thought Foote only played on the PK?? And the Blues' 4th PP d-man is either Salvador or Khavanov,but Salvy will be out until Nov. due to a surgery he had. That's why they signed Murray Baron. And Skoula has great "puck poise"
Oh please...

Skrastins and/or Foote would do *just fine* with all the firepower up front. Like I said, if need be, a forward could drop back, like Sakic and put Battaglia in front of the net.

By the way, don't even bother calling me a homer when you post like that.

Old
09-26-2003, 06:33 PM
RoyIsALegend*

Quote:
Adam Foote is solely a PK player? You know not what you speak of, as usual.

Adam Foote had 10 goals and 30+ points last season, a career year offensively and I doubt many clubs can put 30+ point defensemen on their second power play unit.

Old
09-26-2003, 07:11 PM
nathan

Quote:
That's why they signed Murray Baron. And Skoula has great "puck poise"
I see....so THAT'S why they signed '2 goals, 4 assists' Murray Baron; to solidify the Blues' PP unit!

Old
09-26-2003, 07:12 PM
DarioinDenver

Quote:
"Liles"??
The guy is UNPROVEN in terms of NHL experience. He's had ZERO experience in the big leagues,and yet,some Avs homers think that he can play on the Avs' second PP unit.
Yes, actually he can. As ridiculous a statement as saying Sejna can play on St. Louis' pp unit, which as you know is not a ridiculous statement at all.

I would contend that having Forsberg on your pp is actually a good thing at times. I think he can hold the puck too long and is not as productive when facing a zone type of defense. He's brilliant 5v5, but I seriously question his pp performances over the last few years. He obviously has the skill but for whatever reason it feels like 40+ seconds of the PP drain off the clock while he holds the puck on the boards looking for the pass.

Old
09-26-2003, 07:16 PM
Aerolanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarioinDenver
Thanks boys.

RiaL - You are absolutely right. There are few teams that can put a 30 point d-man on their second powerplay unit.

Nathan - I was going to mention that, he calls Skrastins a reject when the Blues add a player that scores...very little.

Dario - Good job with Sejna and Liles. Weight39 needs to realize that.

Old
09-26-2003, 07:22 PM
Hitman*

How can anybody not choose the Avs???

Hejduk, Tanguay, Forsberg, Blake and Morris on one unit

Kariya, Sakic, Selanne, Skoula, (Anybody) on the other.

best PP in the league hands down.

And to add to the favorite team answer:

McAmmond-Conroy-Iginla

Lydman--Leopold/Ference

Old
09-26-2003, 07:41 PM
KingTY

surprised no one has mentioned them

Boston

Samsonov - Thorton - Murray
Rolston - Boynton

Old
09-27-2003, 09:31 AM
Steve Latin*

Your points are well-taken, but I'd like to nitpick a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade
Well, if the Avs powerplay even needs garbage goals, you could put Forsberg in front of the net or even a guy like Battaglia. That is, if the snipers on the Avs don't rip it top shelf first .

Weight - Definately not the best passer in the league, Peter Forsberg with 77 assists is the best passer in the league.
I think you really underestimate the importance of a true, top-tier, crash the net power-forward on the PP. Yes, you can move the puck around and just rip shots, but even if you have great snipers on the team, if the goalie isn't screened the puck is going to have a hard time getting to the net. And it goes beyond just the vision factor. That forward standing near his crease upsets and distracts the netminder -- he loses focus.

Now you say you can put Forsberg and Battaglia up there, but what happens when Jovanovski, Pronger, or Hatcher are given the assignment to push them out? Forsberg is a strong, don't get me wrong, but he's around 30-40 pounds lighter than the aforementioned d-men. Tkachuk and Bertuzzi are about the only guys I see being able to win that kind of match-up.

Also, you mentioned that Forsberg is the best passer in the game because he has 77 assists. I disagree. Lemieux is, far and away, the best passer in the game. He has a sixth-sense of how the play is going to develop, the ability to put it tape-to-tape, and the shiftiness to get the defenders to bite on a red herring. Weight has the same qualities to a lesser extent.

What Weight does *not* do is drive the puck into the zone like Forsberg, win the physical matches around the net or in the corners, or display puck possession qualities that IMO rank among the top five in the league (Jagr is a bit better in this regard, and Kovalev around equal). The reason Forsberg has more assists is because he's a more complete player, not becaue he is a better passer.

S L

Closed Thread