Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues

ECHL Checkers to the AHL

Old
02-10-2010, 01:39 PM
pelts35.com

vCash: 500
ECHL Checkers to the AHL

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=3962414

Link confirms the sale of the Albany River Rats AHL franchise to the Charlotte Checkers ownership group.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:25 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

So the question is, will the ECHL franchise be sold or dissolved?

I can't see them holding on to franchises in both the AHL and ECHL.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 05:59 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Early thoughts are the franchise will relocate to Greensboro and affiliate with the Canes.

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2010, 06:57 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
Early thoughts are the franchise will relocate to Greensboro and affiliate with the Canes.
I've deleted the URLs, but the stories out of Ralleigh are that this is the franchise that will be the NHL Carolina's AHL affiliate next season.

Old
02-10-2010, 11:17 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
Over on ITB, someone posted a rumor that the ECHL franchise's destination is... San Diego, of all place. I've got my fingers crossed that that's true, but I'm certainly not counting any chickens. I've also heard Greenville and Richmond mentioned as possible destinations.

HansH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 12:05 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

San Diego? To the old barn of the Gulls? (I haven't been "in town" in about five years, and don't know of any facility except the old arena that has ice capabilities.)

Close to Ontario (2 hours), Bakersfield (4 hours), Vegas (8 hours), Stockton (7 hours). Traffic notwithstanding.

Not too bad for one way on a bus.

Old
02-11-2010, 07:44 AM
ckg927

vCash: 400
Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
I've deleted the URLs, but the stories out of Ralleigh are that this is the franchise that will be the NHL Carolina's AHL affiliate next season.
Which, IIRC, is who Albany is currently affiliated with.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2010, 07:49 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
It is confirmed that the AHL Charlotte Checkers will be the Hurricanes AHL affiliate.

I'm sure that the Checkers will try to sell the ECHL franchise to recoup as much of the cost of the AHL franchise as they can.

Old
02-12-2010, 02:10 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

As a fan from the early days of their franchise it makes me nostalgic to see them leave the ECHL. We fought hard to stay out of the AHL back then, but now it just makes sense with the Hurricanes so close and in need of a nearby affiliate.

Lots of memories from the good old days...

... games at the "Big I", birthplace of southern hockey and a great place to see the game

... G'boro's Phil Berger getting roundly booed nightly and then traded to Charlotte where he won a championship

... similar story of Hampton Roads' hated Shawn Wheeler, traded to the Checkers and eventually became the coach

... hosting bizarre teams like the Louisville Ice Frogs and the Jacksonville Lizard Kings

... Nick Vitucci and Daryl Noren rewriting the league record books

... Vitucci scoring a goal on a guarded net, a first in pro hockey

... John Marks and John Brophy jawing across the benches, and Brophy usually getting into it with the fans at some point

... the incredible Game 5 against South Carolina in '96, when the Stingrays brought busloads of fans and the tension was thick in the air all night

... priceless rivalries with SC, G'boro, HR, Richmond, Roanoke, Raleigh. That division couldn't be beat for nastiness and intensity night after night.

Ah well, it's all over now. New owner, new arena, now a new league. Onward and upward as they say... thanks for the memories ECHL, it's been a fun run!

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-13-2010, 10:24 PM
Holly Gunning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Over on ITB, someone posted a rumor that the ECHL franchise's destination is... San Diego, of all place. I've got my fingers crossed that that's true, but I'm certainly not counting any chickens. I've also heard Greenville and Richmond mentioned as possible destinations.
I'm hearing "the midwest" as a possibility for the ECHL Checkers franchise, but it looks even more likely that it will just fold up. These franchises aren't very valuable.

It won't be Greenville. That's something else.

Holly Gunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-14-2010, 03:57 AM
garnetpalmetto
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Not sure how likely it'd be that the ECHL franchise, if they stick around, would affiliate with the 'Canes, as Peter Karmanos owns the Everblades, the 'Canes current ECHL affiliates, as well as the arena they play in. As long as Karmanos has that ownership stake, I doubt he'd want the 'Canes affiliated with another ECHL team.

garnetpalmetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 12:35 PM
JimB

Quote:
... priceless rivalries with SC, G'boro, HR, Richmond, Roanoke, Raleigh. That division couldn't be beat for nastiness and intensity night after night.
Thanks for bring back some memories. I've had season tickets to the ECHL/AHL Admirals since day one (and had Roanoke Rebels tickets back in the 70's). That ECHL division was minor league hockey at its best. Norfolk fans are definitely looking forward to a second southern team in the AHL. Hopefully Norfolk and Charlotte will develop a decent rivalry.

JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2010, 04:37 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

The ECHL's mid-season BOG announcement seems to have cleared up the fate of the ECHL Checkers franchise: Oblivion. It'll be "returned to the league" at the conclusion of this season.

I wonder if the alleged San Diego potential ownership group just couldn't come to terms with the SDSA on a lease? Or, was San Diego never really in the picture? We'll probably never know.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:11 PM
Frostbite Warrior

This does not make sense to me how can Harford Wolfpack have this affiliate

Hartford Wolf Pack XL Center Hartford, CT New York Rangers Charlotte Checkers/(Mississippi RiverKings) and

Lake Erie Monsters Quicken Loans Arena Cleveland, OH Colorado Avalanche Charlotte Checkers

What i am saying is why does Hartford and Lake Erie have the same ECHL Charoltte Checkers affiliate if they are going to the AHL under the same name! Can some explain please

Last edited by Frostbite Warrior: 03-01-2010 at 12:12 PM. Reason: Editing
Frostbite Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2010, 12:25 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite Warrior View Post

Hartford Wolf Pack XL Center Hartford, CT New York Rangers Charlotte Checkers/(Mississippi RiverKings) and

Lake Erie Monsters Quicken Loans Arena Cleveland, OH Colorado Avalanche Charlotte Checkers

What i am saying is why does Hartford and Lake Erie have the same ECHL Charoltte Checkers affiliate if they are going to the AHL under the same name! Can some explain please
The ECHL Checkers will cease to exist, so any NHL/AHL affiliations with the ECHL Checkers will also cease to exist.

That said it is not uncommon for ECHL teams to have more than one NHL/AHL affiliation.

Old
03-01-2010, 12:28 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostbite Warrior View Post

Simple - the ECHL franchise has nothing to do with the incoming AHL franchise, other than sharing ownership and the name transferring. The ECHL franchise (and all its affiliations) will be "returned to the league" (read: dissolved) at the end of this season. It's not that uncommon for one ECHL team to end up with partial affiliations with more than one NHL team -- and that's the situation in which the ECHL checkers found themselves.

The AHL Checkers will be the relocated Albany River Rats, and will have an affiliation with NHL Carolina -- and that has nothing to do with the ECHL affiliations that the ECHL Checkers had.

Does that help you?

Old
03-11-2010, 02:38 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
I wonder if the alleged San Diego potential ownership group just couldn't come to terms with the SDSA on a lease? Or, was San Diego never really in the picture? We'll probably never know.
Oh yes, we will...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...ckey-sullivan/

"Less than two months ago, the East Coast Hockey League granted preliminary approval for the Charlotte (N.C.) Checkers to relocate to the San Diego Sports Arena in time for the 2010-11 season. But the deal fell apart over desired improvements presented under tight time constraints to the arena’s majority partner, AEG."

I'll post another interesting note in the AHL thread since it's more relevant there.

Old
03-12-2010, 03:38 PM
CarolinaHurricanes85

Send a message via AIM to CarolinaHurricanes85
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
Thanks for bring back some memories. I've had season tickets to the ECHL/AHL Admirals since day one (and had Roanoke Rebels tickets back in the 70's). That ECHL division was minor league hockey at its best. Norfolk fans are definitely looking forward to a second southern team in the AHL. Hopefully Norfolk and Charlotte will develop a decent rivalry.
As an Ohio native, nothing stings more than the Admirals getting the playoffs in 1998. The Admirals had to win all of their remaining games as I can recall. The Chill simply had to get a single point in their remaining games to make it in. In classic Chill fashion, they lost every single one of them. And what happens? The Admirals end up taking it all that year.

As I now live in Virginia Beach, I go to the Admirals games and it hurts every time I see that Admiral 97-98 banner.

CarolinaHurricanes85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2010, 03:37 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2...ckey-sullivan/

Related story... Looks like things fell through for planned purchase of ECHL franchise and moving it to San Diego.

Old
03-18-2010, 08:59 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaHurricanes85 View Post
As I now live in Virginia Beach, I go to the Admirals games and it hurts every time I see that Admiral 97-98 banner.
John Brophy was an evil, evil man. I'm pretty sure he had a pact with Satan.

trivia: Brophy actually played in Charlotte during the 1950s with the original Checkers.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote