HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

The Jordan Schroeder Thread

Old
03-18-2010, 03:02 AM
SideRivals76*

vCash: 500
In 3-4 Years

Cody Hodgson-Ryan Kesler-Jordan Schroeder
Daniel Sedin-Henrik Sedin-Michael Grabner

SideRivals76* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 03:18 AM
Lowkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideRivals76 View Post
In 3-4 Years

Where is Macey?

Lowkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 03:22 AM
SideRivals76*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowkey View Post
Where is Macey?
On the third line, who would he replace on that top 6?

Old
03-18-2010, 03:22 AM
Laterade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowkey View Post
Where is Macey?
In Nashville or Detroit.

Laterade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 03:23 AM
SideRivals76*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laterade View Post
In Nashville or Detroit.
That's a possibility.

Old
03-18-2010, 03:33 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Good for Schroeder.

He was almost doomed from day one of his sophmore year. Stoa, if not for a knee injury the year beofre would have been in the AHL last year. Once his other scoring partner, Barriball, went down early on. Schoreder was asked to do a lot with marginal players.

Schroeder's game is out thinking his opposition. Thinking two three maybe four steps ahead. The old he is playing chess and the others checkers senerio. Several times he would carry the puck in only to find his line mates either changing, going straight to the net or something fairly one dimensional. Instead of dishing it off to a Barriball or Stoa and making his own move to the net. Schroeder was left holding the puck trying to make the play happen.

When a college kid has to make an anouncment he is not leaving the program. You can only imagine the pressure and questions he was getting around campus and from reporters. He left for the WJCs. Winning gold gave him life back. By the time we got Cepis and Buddish found his game. It was allready to little to late.

For his size. He works hard and goes into traffic areas. He plays with his head up and avoids alot of hits. His freshmen year, when he was happy. He threw his weight around a lot more.

If this was a lesson year. And lesson learned. You guys got a nice find.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 06:05 AM
MN_Gopher

vCash: 2900
Schroeder was also on the WCHA all academic team. Now its all hockey.

MN_Gopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 09:37 AM
topheavyhookjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman3 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the best move myself as an armchair GM, he does have some pretty nice offensive skills right now, but it's his strength and defensive skills that the NCAA was good for, I'm not the Canucks however, and if they think it's a good move then I'm onboard until they prove otherwise.
At the same time, in recent years our AHL program with Arniel and AV both with the Moose and the Canucks, have really been able to develop the young forwards into good two way players; Kesler, Burrows, Raymond and even Grabner have developed that side of their game quite well.

topheavyhookjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 09:54 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
Good for Schroeder.

He was almost doomed from day one of his sophmore year. Stoa, if not for a knee injury the year beofre would have been in the AHL last year. Once his other scoring partner, Barriball, went down early on. Schoreder was asked to do a lot with marginal players.

Schroeder's game is out thinking his opposition. Thinking two three maybe four steps ahead. The old he is playing chess and the others checkers senerio. Several times he would carry the puck in only to find his line mates either changing, going straight to the net or something fairly one dimensional. Instead of dishing it off to a Barriball or Stoa and making his own move to the net. Schroeder was left holding the puck trying to make the play happen.

When a college kid has to make an anouncment he is not leaving the program. You can only imagine the pressure and questions he was getting around campus and from reporters. He left for the WJCs. Winning gold gave him life back. By the time we got Cepis and Buddish found his game. It was allready to little to late.

For his size. He works hard and goes into traffic areas. He plays with his head up and avoids alot of hits. His freshmen year, when he was happy. He threw his weight around a lot more.

If this was a lesson year. And lesson learned. You guys got a nice find.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Gopher View Post
Schroeder was also on the WCHA all academic team. Now its all hockey.
Thanks for all the updates over the years. You have been great! Hope the best for the Gopher program in the years to come.

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:34 AM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
Thanks for all the updates over the years. You have been great! Hope the best for the Gopher program in the years to come.
Indeed. Thank you so much over the years, MN_Gopher, for your updates.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:05 AM
B-rock

Quote:
In 3-4 Years

B-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:11 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
In 3-4 Years

Try:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Schroeder-Hodgson-Kesler

03-18-2010, 11:26 AM
kanuck87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
Try:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Schroeder-Hodgson-Kesler
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Grabner
Schroeder-Hodgson-Rodin

Maybe?

kanuck87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 12:05 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
Schroeder doesn't need to be protected. He's not big, but he doesn't get knocked around like a rag doll every shift.
This is the AHL, its a rough league, where people target small skilled players in a much more professional manner.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 12:24 PM
BLAME CANADA*
The Canucks did it

Anyone know when Schroeders press thing is???

BLAME CANADA* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
This is the AHL, its a rough league, where people target small skilled players in a much more professional manner.
Not really. 6 of the top 10 and 14 of the top 20 scorers are under 6'0 (4 of them smaller or the same size as Schroeder)

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 12:44 PM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanuck87 View Post
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Grabner
Schroeder-Hodgson-Rodin

Maybe?
or

Sedin Sedin Samuelson (or Burrows)
Burrows (or Raymond) Kesler Grabner
Schroeder Hodgson Raymond (or Samuellson)?

This appears to be decent top 9 ... and who knows Shirokov may make it is as well.

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 12:50 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
If size would stop players getting injured Eric Daze and Eric Lindros would still be playing. Well, maybe not Lindros. I can't believe he's 37! I must be getting very old.

One of the Gophers fans was saying that he keeps his head up in traffic and is able to see the ice even better than he can skate. Hopefully that'll mean he won't put himself into situations that are overly dangerous.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 12:50 PM
God Bless Canada

Very encouraging. In principle, I want to see him go back to Minnesota for his junior and possibly his senior seasons, so that he can continue to get ice time. Gord Miller always says that nobody has ever been ruined by playing that final year in junior, and I believe the same applies to college. But I don't know if Jordan was going to develop in college, especially since the UMinn program seemingly took a big step back this year.

I watched him play at the World Juniors, and to be honest, I expected more. He wasn't terrible or anything. He played well. But as a guy who has been excellent offensively in the previous two years, I thought he'd be one of the top offensive players in the tournament. He was not. Like I said, he was really good, but not an offensive force. Then again, he didn't have to be a force. In 2008 and 2009, the U.S. had the line with Schroeder, van Riemsdyk and Colin Wilson, but they didn't have a lot of depth. This year, they had tremendous depth, and Schroeder didn't have to carry the offence.

I think he's a Mike Cammalleri type of player - a skilled, small scorer who was passed on by several teams because of his size. Much like Cammalleri, patience will be needed. Schroeder's going to learn the hard way that what he did in the U.S. development program, and in college, won't work in the pros, especially in The Show. He might need two years in the AHL. Once he gets hit hard a few times, he'll figure it out. He'll be an impact player offensively in a few years.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 12:53 PM
VanEric

We need to remember that he was a 22nd overall pick not a Top 10 or Top 15. Unless you get a bit lucky, guys in that range usually need some time to develop.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Scouter

vCash: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeebster View Post
If you recall before the draft and all the talk afterwards, Schroeder has proven that his strength is top of his draft class at the Combine. He is not going to develop his strength any more in the WCHA. If anything, he will develop better defensive skills in the AHL as the play is much more similar to NHL than the WCHA. Not only does he get a chance to adjust to a smaller rink, but he will also adjust to the MUCH longer schedule if he plays there next season.

I fail to see any negatives about this move.
Well maybe it's his size then, he still needs to grow. The NCAA is good for defense because of the bigger ice surface and more practice time.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

People talk about how he was underwhelming at the Worlds, but I just don't see it. Did he have mind-blowing numbers? No, but he still finished over a point a game. He also scored some pretty big goals for the USA in pretty big games. I noticed his play without the puck a lot more--blocking shots, winning faceoffs, making smart plays in both ends of the ice...he played a very cerebral game and many were the time I saw him head onto the bench while getting pats on the shoulder from coaches and teammates alike.

Anyway--apparently he's going to watch the Canucks game tonight before going to Winnipeg, that's what the Province is running with anyway.

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Xav
Undrafted Free Agent

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
We need to remember that he was a 22nd overall pick not a Top 10 or Top 15. Unless you get a bit lucky, guys in that range usually need some time to develop.
He was touted as a Top 15 pick or not Top 10.;

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=533427

Im really glad MG is going with the "draft the best available player" style of drafting. Stupid Nonis.

Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 01:07 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
People talk about how he was underwhelming at the Worlds, but I just don't see it. Did he have mind-blowing numbers? No, but he still finished over a point a game. He also scored some pretty big goals for the USA in pretty big games. I noticed his play without the puck a lot more--blocking shots, winning faceoffs, making smart plays in both ends of the ice...he played a very cerebral game and many were the time I saw him head onto the bench while getting pats on the shoulder from coaches and teammates alike.
I agree. I was tough on him at the worlds, and I think thats fine. His performance was solid but a bit underwhelming.

That said, I agree on his all-round performance, which really surprised and impressed me. The entire American team really bought into the coaching staffs "team first", lay it on the line mentality. The entire team was blocking shots and making defensive plays, and I think this speaks extremely well for Schroeder, considering some of the rumors about his attitude, etc.

To me it projects that he is mature and ready to adjust to a pro systems game.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 01:13 PM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman3 View Post
Well maybe it's his size then, he still needs to grow. The NCAA is good for defense because of the bigger ice surface and more practice time.
If you think Schroeder is going to grow a few more inches and that playing in the WCHA is going to help that growth, i think you should re-consider. The fact is that it is very probable that Schroeder has fully grown into his body, both in height and in muscle.

The bigger ice surface does not help him adjust to the type of defense of the NHL, in terms of the timing or physicality. Because the ice is bigger, players have way more time to make decisions and plays, which is not very characteristic of the NHL, where everything moves at a much faster pace.

Also, i don't understand this argument of more practice time. I would have to say i'd rather him get more playing time to adjust to a longer schedule, travel, and the overall play than getting more practices in at a college level.

thefeebster is online now   Reply With Quote