HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Going back to wood

Old
03-18-2010, 01:31 PM
wondeROY

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
I can buy 2 woods sticks for the price of the worst composite stick, or 10 wood sticks for the price of one good composite.

For the average beer leaguer I think the difference between wood and composite is not to noticeable. Test a wood stick side by side with a composite as far as shooting, and accuracy goes and see what differences you notice.
Maybe if you're paying retail, but who pays retail? I mean really, I can buy last years high end composites online for $40 and it will last me wayyyy longer then any woodie ever would.

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 03:02 PM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondeROY View Post
Maybe if you're paying retail, but who pays retail? I mean really, I can buy last years high end composites online for $40 and it will last me wayyyy longer then any woodie ever would.
Links....???

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 04:08 PM
greyraven8

if you can get high end composites for $40, you are doing great - would love to get that deal (depending on their shipping to canada).

if you are a forward who uses slap shots, maybe your composites will be better for you.

if you are like me, in a beer league or "pickup" that doesn't allow wind-up slap shots, and a defenseman who doesn't have a slap shot your average wood stick will last just as long as your average low end composite which are around $30-$40 on sale. the low end composites are lighter, but i wouldn't say on average more durable. when i was using wood (titans, kohos, etc. ones with the plastic along the bottom and a fair bit of flex), my sticks would on average last a full season - most not breaking or chipping much; usually eventually turning to much.

in fact the last few low end composites haven't lasted as long as my previous wood sticks. i've had good luck so far with the last one i bought - a vic element; hasn't broke and the end of the blade hasn't chipped away at all. the last few i had were the ccm vector 06, and ccm octogun 10- one vector broke after a fair bit of use; one octogun might as well of broke - end of blade split parallel to ice in two spots and spread after a couple games; one vector is a spare stick and is chipping at the end of the blade already but still very usable for the time being.

so, anyone looking for a low end composite with a regular flex - thumbs down to the ccm vector 06 and octogun 10; vic element - good so far.

as far as wood, in my area there still are wood sticks readily available, but the selection seems like it's on a downward spiral. Sher-wood seems to be the main ones still readily available at most of the local hockey stores and retail stores (Canadian Tire, Play-it-Again, Source for Sports, Sport-Mart, Sport-Chek, etc.).

greyraven8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 04:57 PM
TBLfan

Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
There is no way he's finding last years composite sticks for $40, maybe $100-$140.

For me, I don't mind wood sticks but the blades go soft too quickly. I rarely take slap shots but I can't seem to get more than a couple uses out of them before a wood blade is to soft for me to be comfortable using. I get MANY more uses out of composite sticks.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 06:12 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberrydanish View Post
Well Im pretty sure Im an average beer leaguer and I notice a huge difference between woods and composites. Obviously the weight, and the biggest thing is the durability of the blade. I like to take slappers and that blade did not last long at all on my wood, basically just disintegrated within a very short period of time. Now I have noticed mid-range composite blades durability wise aren't so great either atleast with the XXV, but my one95 is blowing both of them out of the water in durability.

As for the feel and whip of the stick I am not as much of an expert on wood, but Id say I definitely noticed much more of a kick and reponse from my composites but that can also be associated with my preferring lower flexes which woods don't really seem to come in.(My wood was a 100)

Also can you really buy 10 decent woods for the price of a high end composite? If so you must get some great deals I really dont see those types of prices, I mostly have to do online shopping though.
I was just playing devils advocate

I have been using composite sticks since they've come out, except for ball hockey and messing around in my barn.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:41 AM
blueberrydanish

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
I was just playing devils advocate

I have been using composite sticks since they've come out, except for ball hockey and messing around in my barn.
WELL WHAT IF IM ATHEIST?!??!?! =p

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote