HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Official 2010 Habs Board (annual) Mock Draft.

Closed Thread

Old
03-17-2010, 12:10 PM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

vCash: 500
also if we do 5rd mock draft ? since its going to take some time do we start it after the u-18 ??

Old
03-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markov79fan View Post
also if we do 5rd mock draft ? since its going to take some time do we start it after the u-18 ??
Well, it would make sense to start it sooner if we're going 5 rounds. But I'd at least want to wait until the playoffs start.

It'd be nice to know if everyone is on the same page. I wish a good chunk of us could meet in HF Chat or something to discuss rules. But there's no way we would be able to get everyone at the same time. I know we can't please everyone with rules, but I'd at least like to try.

Old
03-17-2010, 01:59 PM
mikeg

count me in if there is still space

Old
03-17-2010, 02:06 PM
HomaridII

Did you fill all the spots or not?

I still want in so I can draft Taylor Seguin or the lesser known Tyler Hall.

Old
03-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

I'm still waiting to hear from a few people guys, so we aren't taking anyone right now. Sorry.

Old
03-17-2010, 02:09 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I'm still waiting to hear from a few people guys, so we aren't taking anyone right now. Sorry.
Thats fine, I don't care what you say, I am still drafting Taylor Seguin!!

Old
03-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

If we're keeping the draft positions in line with reality (big fan, btw), a 5 round draft would make it more worthwhile for anyone who draws a team with few (or no) picks in certain rounds. Also makes it more interesting to compare to how the real teams actually go once draft day comes around, and how our ideas of BPA, etc., differ at each step.

Old
03-17-2010, 02:27 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

So, it looks like we have 2 options. I'm assuming I can't add a poll after a thread was created, but can a mod do it for us please?

Option A. - 3 round mock draft, each team gets 1 pick in every round to make it equal.

Option B. - 5 round mock draft, we'll include all trades for picks that have been made up to this point.

Old
03-17-2010, 02:29 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
So, it looks like we have 2 options. I'm assuming I can't add a poll after a thread was created, but can a mod do it for us please?

Option A. - 3 round mock draft, each team gets 1 pick in every round to make it equal.

Option B. - 5 round mock draft, we'll include all trades for picks that have been made up to this point.
Depending on how well we get through them, maybe we can try the more popular one first, then the other. Maybe allow anyone to trade off to another poster before the second one if they want to, or whatever. Sell your franchise to the next guy for vcash??! hehe

Old
03-17-2010, 02:43 PM
HomaridII

Quote:

I would do 5 rounds ( even if I am not in it, I recommend it to you). Most of the posters involved are frequent posters anyways, so I doubt you would be waiting a lot for somebody to pick

Old
03-17-2010, 02:50 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
I would do 5 rounds ( even if I am not in it, I recommend it to you). Most of the posters involved are frequent posters anyways, so I doubt you would be waiting a lot for somebody to pick
I would love to do 5 rounds, it's just that I'm not sure everyone involved will feel comfortable with that.

Some posters who accepted the invitation could have just assumed it was 2 or 3 rounds. Not everyone is going to have knowledge of prospects who are scheduled to go in the mid to late rounds.

Old
03-17-2010, 02:57 PM
felixd

I think it's best to start off with 3 rounds. After we see how the 3rd one goes, we can decide if it's worth going a 4th. These mock drafts tend to taper off in the last rounds, if I remember right from the one last year, the 3rd round was much slower to pick. Which really sucks for the people running this(thanks again Habsfan18) and for the people who are serious about it. If you sign up, make sure you'll be on enough to post reasonably quickly.

Old
03-17-2010, 03:08 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I would love to do 5 rounds, it's just that I'm not sure everyone involved will feel comfortable with that.

Some posters who accepted the invitation could have just assumed it was 2 or 3 rounds. Not everyone is going to have knowledge of prospects who are scheduled to go in the mid to late rounds.
I would expect anyone willing to seriously give this a shot to have at least knowledge of the various top 30 and 60 lists around, and have no problem researching enough to find info on up to 150 players in a timely manner. There's an entire prospect board if anyone needs any help (although I would suggest we outlaw the ability to post threads there asking for help).

Heck, I'll help out by posting The ISS Top 211 Prospects List, Jan. 11/10.

Shouldn't need much more than that to guide you.

Last edited by Ohashi_Jouzu: 03-17-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old
03-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
I think it's best to start off with 3 rounds. After we see how the 3rd one goes, we can decide if it's worth going a 4th. These mock drafts tend to taper off in the last rounds, if I remember right from the one last year, the 3rd round was much slower to pick. Which really sucks for the people running this(thanks again Habsfan18) and for the people who are serious about it. If you sign up, make sure you'll be on enough to post reasonably quickly.
Yeah, that may be the best way. Start off with 3 rounds, and then go from there.

One thing we'll have to decide though, is how we're doing the picks. Do we ignore all of the trades that involved picks so each team will have 1 selection in every round? Or, do we make it more realistic and include all of the trades? That way will be a bit tougher, since we won't have the exact order..considering the playoffs will still be going on. If we go one pick per team each round, we would just use standings to determine order in the later rounds. Not sure if you guys would want a snake format or not.

Old
03-17-2010, 03:19 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Yeah, that may be the best way. Start off with 3 rounds, and then go from there.

One thing we'll have to decide though, is how we're doing the picks. Do we ignore all of the trades that involved picks so each team will have 1 selection in every round? Or, do we make it more realistic and include all of the trades? That way will be a bit tougher, since we won't have the exact order..considering the playoffs will still be going on. If we go one pick per team each round, we would just use standings to determine order in the later rounds. Not sure if you guys would want a snake format or not.
I would include the trades that have taken place and seed the teams by regular season finish, ignoring the playoffs. And no Snake Format, hate Snake Format on Mock Drafts, lol.

I know that by including the trades it would mean some teams would be stuck with no 1st round or 2nd round picks, but it would be more realistic

Old
03-17-2010, 03:22 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
is it possible we could get some live chat thingy going to discuss potential prospects for this years draft?

Old
03-17-2010, 03:29 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

I should probably post in here to confirm my participation. Also I'd go with Option B

Old
03-17-2010, 04:34 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
How exactly do these work? Like, an hour to make your pick, if not you get skipped?

Old
03-17-2010, 04:46 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
How exactly do these work? Like, an hour to make your pick, if not you get skipped?
Well, in past years I believe there was a timeframe of 10 hours to make your selection. Obviously we hope it doesn't take that long to make a pick, but usually there's a certain amount of hours until that person officially misses their pick.

Whitesnake and I talked about there possibly being no timeframe this year. Since pretty much everyone involved will be active/regular posters on this board, so we figure we can trust pretty much everyone to make their picks in a timely fashion...providing it's not like 3am or anything.

Still awhile to discuss this stuff, but I'd like to have the main rules figured out shortly.

Old
03-17-2010, 06:48 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
I think 5 hour limits seem fine. I mean, say it's my turn- but I'm at school? I mean, I know many "GMs" will be at school, but none of us will be without internet/HF connection for over 5 hours. And also, I think It should be 1 round per day, so that we don't have to keep logging in.

Old
03-17-2010, 07:01 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
I think 5 hour limits seem fine. I mean, say it's my turn- but I'm at school? I mean, I know many "GMs" will be at school, but none of us will be without internet/HF connection for over 5 hours. And also, I think It should be 1 round per day, so that we don't have to keep logging in.
That's wishful thinking. There's no way we'd be able to do a round per day. 5 rounds would probably take us 3 weeks at the earliest. There won't be many picks between midnight and 8am obviously, and many people don't have access to boards during the day. Most of the picks will likely happen between say 3pm and 10pm, I would think. Of course though..like in previous years, we would hope that posters who won't be logged on for a few hours and who's pick is coming up would PM me (or Whitesnake as well, I believe) a short list of players.

But hey, since pretty much everyone involved is fairly active we may be surprised over how fast the selections go.

Old
03-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Whitesnake..where are you?

Old
03-18-2010, 02:13 PM
HomaridII

Quote:
Whitesnake..where are you?
Yes WhiteSnake, where in the world is WHiteSnake!!

Old
03-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Habitants

he is having lunch with Gionta and mara

i like 5 rounds, but i would preffer to get all my picks. why not compromise with 4 rounds?

Old
03-23-2010, 04:46 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitants View Post
he is having lunch with Gionta and mara

i like 5 rounds, but i would preffer to get all my picks. why not compromise with 4 rounds?
4 rounds may be best. We'll see. I'd still like to do a vote regarding the picks. Are we keeping it realistic by including trades that have happened? Or are we going to make it equal for everyone by giving each team 1 pick per round? Can a mod please add a poll, if possible? Thanks

Closed Thread