HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tortorella wants to be Rangers dictator

Old
03-18-2010, 03:58 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Screw the Sather stuff, we need a rally outside New York Post corporate asking for Larry to be fired.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Listen whether you like the press as a coach you have to be professional. it's part of your job. You cant be a jackass to them.

Torts is the only conduit to the outside world to the media and Ranger fans and he acts totally unprofessionally concerning the beat reporters.

The NY Press traditionally will run you out of town and Brooks is leading that witch hunt, just hoping that torts continues to fail, so he can pile on. Torts has made their life insufferable.

For a coach who criticizes players (Avery, Dubinsky) about acting like a pro he sure doesn't act like one in a lot of areas.

The media guys cant wait for the season to end because Torts has sucked all the life out of covering the Rangers.

They have been thrown out of countless media sessions because someone asked "the wrong question" and its not always Brooks that asks the question that torts doesn't like.

These guys have to write something about the rangers almost every day and when you have a Owner, GM and coach that are totally inaccessible it makes your job a nightmare and Brooksie right or wrong is lashing out.

Torts brought this on himself now he has to own it.
And Brooks is acting professional?

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 04:02 PM
SomE

well, yeah.

Torts is doing a very ****** job

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 04:05 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
And Brooks is acting professional?
He's writing a column.

03-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Screw the Sather stuff, we need a rally outside New York Post corporate asking for Larry to be fired.
I completely agree. I blame Tortorella for starting this catfight, but Larry, seriously, be a bit more professional and let it go!

OT: You've been ennobled, Fitzy?

007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He's writing a column.
He's writing a column, but it's supposed to be a hockey column, which he's turning more and more into a sort of personal vendetta/hatchet-job. I don't think it's very professional and I'd guess that the journalists I know would agree.

Perhaps I'm wrong and this sort of stuff increases his readership, but I don't bother reading Brooks anymore, which I did at the beginning of the season.

Old
03-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Its nice that Torts caught lightening in a bottle once, besides that I've seen nothing but people tuning him out - the way he has handle his time here in NY has been a complete flop, from last years playoffs to this years absolute ineptness. And why? So he can have his tirades and alienate people from the organization even more?

When all is said and done you have to find common ground with the people you work with to be successful. I get it, Renney was way too lax for most, but did we have to bring in the complete other end of the spectrum in response??

If Sather really wanted to prove the organzization will take no crap he'd step down.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 04:19 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
He's writing a column.
Oh please. A column on what? Don't be ridiculous. This is as much a column on hockey as my blog is a novel.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 04:20 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
He's writing a column, but it's supposed to be a hockey column, which he's turning more and more into a sort of personal vendetta/hatchet-job. I don't think it's very professional and I'd guess that the journalists I know would agree.

Perhaps I'm wrong and this sort of stuff increases his readership, but I don't bother reading Brooks anymore, which I did at the beginning of the season.
Read between the lines, what is he really saying?

Larry may have a bone or two to pick to put it lightly, but Torts hasn't help himself either with the attitude.

Old
03-18-2010, 04:21 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Oh please. A column on what? Don't be ridiculous. This is as much a column on hockey as my blog is a novel.
The culture of the team/lockeroom doesn't seem important to you?

Old
03-18-2010, 04:22 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
He gets paid to write about hockey. Isn't the lockerroom part of covering hockey and a hockey team? Aren't the methods of the coach?

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 04:28 PM
Olympic nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Read between the lines, what is he really saying?

Larry may have a bone or two to pick to put it lightly, but Torts hasn't help himself either with the attitude.
Perhaps you're right.

Playing Devil's Advocate against my earlier post, Brooks might be the only journalist/columnist covering the Rangers who has the guts to say in print what all the others honestly feel about Torts. I guess I wouldn't be surprised and Torts is horrible about handling his media responsibilities as a coach (he probably gets away with it because Slats is as well, in a different way).

It's just that, although I get the impression that Gross, Zipay and Obernauer sometimes lose patience with Torts, Brooks is the only one making bold claims about Torts killing the locker room and the players hating him, etc. Brooksie is certainly the one who's most secure in his job (Gross has only recently been rehired by a paper, who knows how long Newsday will keep going as a concern, Obernauer is relatively new to the Rangers beat). Perhaps Brooks is the only one who isn't intimidated by Torts.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when the journos talk about Torts when he's not around. Even more so for the players.

Last edited by 007: 03-18-2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old
03-18-2010, 04:29 PM
Gemma

Quote:
He gets paid to write about hockey. Isn't the lockerroom part of covering hockey and a hockey team? Aren't the methods of the coach?

It sure is, I could also be a beat writer for the devils and lambaste Marty Brodeur every time he lets a softie slide by in my article as well. Saying it cost the team the game, he should retire, he's a bad human being etc.

The history between the two dating back to when Torts coached the Lightning is very well documented, so if you don't think these articles aren't slanted way towards bashing of a coach that has a personal problem with a reporter, I really don't know what to tell you.

Gemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 04:30 PM
Garfinkel1

Complete GARBAGE.

Brooks is abusing his right as a journalist (if you want to call him that). What a scum.

Garfinkel1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 04:31 PM
eco's bones

I don't mind cocky attitudes and Torts is cocky--but if you're going to be cocky you've got to win. If you don't win you're not cocky anymore you're an as-hole. Tort's strategies to get individuals or the team as a whole to compete better have not worked--at least not this season. Whatever anyone wants to say about Renney he was 3 for 3 when it came to the team making the playoffs--after seven seasons and a lockout where they hadn't made the playoffs. He might have been too nice--he might have even lost the team but if I were to choose between them I would take Renney.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Can we get a vCash event on whether or not Torts and Brooks fight before the end of the season?

Seriously, these two are a fun story to watch from afar...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

He could write whatever the hell he wants to as long as the Post is selling newspapers.

I too would like to see them fight, but similar to west side story. Torts and the Ranger players snapping fingers on one side and Brooks with his fellow reporters snapping fingers on the other side. I like to keep it creative.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 04:50 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
He could write whatever the hell he wants to as long as the Post is selling newspapers.

I too would like to see them fight, but similar to west side story. Torts and the Ranger players snapping fingers on one side and Brooks with his fellow reporters snapping fingers on the other side. I like to keep it creative.

You just created such an image in my head - Torts with a black leather jacket like the fonz ! haha....

W/o the stache this really is Torts ! :

http://wcb.neit.edu/technews/Spring_...ry_winkler.jpg

Old
03-18-2010, 04:52 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post

You just created such an image in my head - Torts with a black leather jacket like the fonz ! haha....

W/o the stache this really is Torts ! :

http://wcb.neit.edu/technews/Spring_...ry_winkler.jpg
Torts never smiles, his glare simply turns the world upside down. (*Chuck Norris Theme*)

Emptyvoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 04:57 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Torts never smiles, his glare simply turns the world upside down. (*Chuck Norris Theme*)
I bet he smiled when he used to beat up kids at the bus stop.

They didn't write for the NY Post, though.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 04:58 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
He's writing a column.
I'm reading the same garbage from him every week. Can he report about the players a bit and less about his hatred of Tortorella in 99% of his articles?

I wonder what his article will be about next week? I'm gong to put my money on, "Tortorella yells at Players in Practice; Players Upset afterward" Then it will proceed to bash Torts over and over again.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:02 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Last year, I thought Ola really nailed it with a post of why Tortarella's style worked in the old NHL but was not appropriate in the new era. What I am seeing is a coach who does not have the capacity to adjust his thinking to the changes in the game and what is resulting is tremendous frustration with himself, the team and the results. After watching a full year of what I consider to be very mediocre bench coaching and a team that is far underpreforming last year, I think that Torts'' time has run its course in New York. And I also think his next job may not come easily.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:02 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
I'm reading the same garbage from him every week. Can he report about the players a bit and less about his hatred of Tortorella in 99% of his articles?
What do you want to know about the players? The fact is Torts seems to control the room so he's the logical target.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:05 PM
NYRKindms

torts is an ass, but so is brooks

What I think irks most folks about Torts is he doesn't back his mouth with actions. He says he will hold folks accountable and never does. He is the epitome of the empty threat.

And that is his biggest problem IMHO. If your on this team watching teammates slack and play ******, and you have a coach who says he will take them to task but never does you A) loose respect for the coach B) you tune him out because he is full of shyte.

Torts acts like an immature bully. You would think a guy who worked in the media would at least have a semblance of how they should be handled.

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:06 PM
John Torturella

Its good to see one of the writers going after the coach. Do any of you guys think that if Joe Girardi or Tom Coughlin treated the reporters like this, they would not be run out of town in minutes? The only reason this guy is still coaching the Rangers is because no one cares about hockey.

SBOB is dead on. He has lost this team and it happened around in November or December, not this month.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote