HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tortorella wants to be Rangers dictator

Old
03-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
What do you want to know about the players? The fact is Torts seems to control the room so he's the logical target.
The other beat writers find stuff to write about other then Torts bashing. Why is it so hard to Brooks?

Sad thing is Brooks used to be one of the best, but now all he cares about is Torts, Torts, Torts because he made him look like a fool more then once. Now Brooks is acting like teenage girl in this whole situation. Get over it Brooks.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:10 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

100 percent on Larry's side. Torts did this to himself. The worst thing a coach in this town can do is get wrapped around what is written in the press. Torts broke that rule a while ago. Answer the questions, Johnny, and go back to fixing your team.

Larry is a fixture in this town. He likes what he does, he gets paid well for what he does, and he's good at what he does. He's the Dan Shaughnessy of New York. It's what you get when you cover a losing organization year in and year out.

I often wonder why some people around here hate Larry, when Larry's game recaps are condensed carbon copies of our GDT's.

And I also dont get the hate about him constatantly writing about Torts. One minute you guys complain that this team doesnt get any press, then when it gets press, you complain about the content. Funny how that works.

The Rangers suck. Their coach sucks. Their veterans generally suck. Their GM sucks. Their owner sucks. Even MSG Network sucks, which I never thought I'd say.

I cant fault Larry for being a Debbie Downer in the press. Look at the beat he's been assigned.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:13 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
what do you expect?

The team has no personality because Sather assembled a passive, soft team that with a low compete level. The team has no sack and no big-time leaders in the dressing room who can take charge, so Tortorella feels he has to be a control freak like this to speak for a fragile team. Brooks just doesn't like Tortorella so he's blaming it on him. It's harder to win when your only star skater is still hurting from an injury he got in the Olympics. With an unproductive Gaborik lately this team has nothing beyond Lundqvist in terms of game-breaking talent. Tortorella isn't the one who acquired/overpaid for the likes of Drury, Redden, Jokinen, etc.

But maybe if Brooks is hating on Tortorella in his column he has less room to report the bigger problems with the team and this in a way protects some players from reading how ineffective they've been and how much of the blame rests on their shoulders for them being on the outside looking in at the playoffs.

Maybe if Sather ever came out of hiding Brooks could ask him a few questions about the roster he has assembled. Why is the team so passive? Where is the fight? I don't mean literally dropping the gloves all the time, but the desire to battle for space on the ice and some toughness?

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:14 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Last year, I thought Ola really nailed it with a post of why Tortarella's style worked in the old NHL but was not appropriate in the new era. What I am seeing is a coach who does not have the capacity to adjust his thinking to the changes in the game and what is resulting is tremendous frustration with himself, the team and the results. After watching a full year of what I consider to be very mediocre bench coaching and a team that is far underpreforming last year, I think that Torts'' time has run its course in New York. And I also think his next job may not come easily.
Yeah, this is definitely seems to be the problem. I think he's an excellent motivator but lackluster when it comes to making smart decisions on the fly and adapting to other teams' game plans.

That said, I don't really miss Renney either. And I bet if we got another coach he'll be in the same position sooner or later. All the coaches that can really help this team have a job somewhere else right now

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:16 PM
XLJ

Brooks is really going at Torts pretty good. This is now back to back articles ripping him. Torts is a guy with a short self life because of his personality. The media hates him and eventually the players will tune him out. He doesn't deserve to get fired this year even if he doesn't make the playoffs. But if they have another disappointing year next year you will start to hear rumblings.

Given the salary cap situation the key for Torts is the young players. Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Staal, Del Zotto, Gilroy. Those are the players your hoping Torts will make better. If the rangers want to do anything next year all those players will have to step it up.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:19 PM
McMonster

I feel like Brooks only writes about Tortorella... not the team.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:21 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Can we get a vCash event on whether or not Torts and Brooks fight before the end of the season?

Seriously, these two are a fun story to watch from afar...
I'd put money on Torts, he looks like he's in better shape than Brooks.

Although Brooks does kinda resemble my lesbian gym teacher from high school, and she was a tough one.

Sadly, if Brooks and Torts were to fight, it would probably be more entertaining than the product we have to watch on the ice each night.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:24 PM
gabevh3

Send a message via AIM to gabevh3 Send a message via Yahoo to gabevh3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
This happened a long time ago, actually.
yup..been sayin he lost them since last year

gabevh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:24 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfinkel1 View Post
Complete GARBAGE.

Brooks is abusing his right as a journalist (if you want to call him that). What a scum.
Larry is a columnist. He isnt writing wire stories. On top of that, he writes for the NY Post. The NY Post. The NY Post. The NY Post.

Mike Barnacle, Mike Lupica, Jay Marriotti..etc..all these guys have an agenda, but they are columnists. They literally are paid to write what is on their mind, not what the public wants to hear. Mike Barnacle once wrote a column on the front page of the Boston Globe about Kevin kennedy's obsession with his hair and all the hair spray he used before games. Had nothing to do with the Red Sox, but after Kennedy was fired for being a micromanaging OCD freak, the article made sense.

Brooks isnt abusing anything except Torts' reputation. He isnt doing anything wrong.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:25 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
The other beat writers find stuff to write about other then Torts bashing. Why is it so hard to Brooks?

Sad thing is Brooks used to be one of the best, but now all he cares about is Torts, Torts, Torts because he made him look like a fool more then once. Now Brooks is acting like teenage girl in this whole situation. Get over it Brooks.
I dont think Brooks is wrong about writing anti-Tortorella articles. In fact he is the only media member doing his job. There is 100% legitimacy to calling into question the coaches methods when he is not coaching this team to any level of success and he lashes out on a regular basis. Torts lashes out and the writers dont even ask him hard questions. The guy needs to go and Brooks is dead on about it.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:28 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
This looks like a dimwitted retread of every other formulaic bash article Larry has ever written and gullible saps eat it up every single time. Perhaps instead of focusing on Tortorella and infinitesimal perks players no longer get Larry should focus on what truly ails the team, Glen Sather.

For all the blame Tortorella gets he improved the PP significantly and the PK only dropped to 9th overall in the league which is still rather good. Further the team averages 30.0 shots against/game and last year under Renney it was 29.8 SA/G.

Where they are suffering a bit more is their 5 on 5 play and why is that? Not because of Tortorella but because they just aren't scoring enough and the defense as a unit has faced more pressure and they are unable to cope. While the special teams (as a whole) are better they aren't good enough to overcome the pitiful 5-on-5 scoring woes. When your goalie gets you a shutout and you still lose, you have problems.

There is very little Tortorella can do when the offensive talent isn't there. Let's at least be realistic about this. Very little has changed with Tortorella at the helm. Same problems still exist and they begin and end with UFA signings by our favorite dictator, Glen Sather. Lack of secondary scoring, no top pairing defensemen, and an over reliance on Henrik Lundqvist to make the team look better than it is. That is what Larry Brooks should be writing about.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Ovens

So putting Larry to one side for a minute I'm sure many of us think that Andrew Gross over at Ranger Rants is far more professional and less sensational in his articles, it's probably tough being an accredited beat writer for the Rangers, I'm sure he doesn't want to lose interview privileges with the coach and/or players but even someone with Gross's tact and patience is starting to wither under Torts, subtle little hints that all is not well, just yesterday he documented the 90 second Tort's presser and adds in "staring contest" between transcipts, he also noted some weeks ago that Tort's had been needlessly inappropriate with him with a quote such as "you have a problem with my answer" in a threatening manner.I'm not defending Brooks here, I think if you scratch the surface here this regime is as bad as or worse than we all fear.

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:40 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Torts Vs. Brooksie are some of the most entertaining stuff of the year off the rink and is getting big play here in Calgary. Keep it coming!

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:44 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
I dont think Brooks is wrong about writing anti-Tortorella articles. In fact he is the only media member doing his job. There is 100% legitimacy to calling into question the coaches methods when he is not coaching this team to any level of success and he lashes out on a regular basis. Torts lashes out and the writers dont even ask him hard questions. The guy needs to go and Brooks is dead on about it.
People are not saying he can't call out the coach.... But the fact that every article he's writing now is a personal attack on Tortorella, it's childish and reflects very poorly on Brooks...

Also, which writers does Tortorella lash out at other than Brooks? Aside from not wanting to answer a few questions, I don't know any other writer that Tortorella has lashed out at other than Larry?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
this is getting ugly.

larry is really trying to get torts to snap writing this stuff

its clear that larry has a vendetta against torts and its getting to be very personal.

larry wont rest until torts is shown the door.

larry loses credability when he crosses the line with his articles. to me, it appears hes being vindictive and hammering home his agenda in every new piece he writes.

It started a few years ago during the Lightning-Devil series and has escalated. I did a column on it last year. About how far Larry will take it. Sadly, he happens to be right. Tort has really worn thin and I'd be shocked if many players respect him. His attitude has sucked.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 06:06 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
People are not saying he can't call out the coach.... But the fact that every article he's writing now is a personal attack on Tortorella, it's childish and reflects very poorly on Brooks...

Also, which writers does Tortorella lash out at other than Brooks? Aside from not wanting to answer a few questions, I don't know any other writer that Tortorella has lashed out at other than Larry?
Go listen to his pressers from the past week or so. Stan Fischler and Andrew Gross got lashed out on. The guy is out of control and completely unprofessional.

Old
03-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Larry should focus on what truly ails the team, Glen Sather.

For all the blame Tortorella gets he improved the PP significantly

There is very little Tortorella can do when the offensive talent isn't there. Let's at least be realistic about this.
Agreed, he should, and will be, slamming Sather in the near future, thats a given.

Lets talk PP. Last year Drury led all in PP points with 20. Gaby has 24, Prospal 19 already this year. Those two on a Renney PP wouldve helped a tad I think.

Torts has a few talents. At the very least Renney got a team into the playoffs with Nigel Dawes and players of that ilk. I still think this team this year(8th spot is absolutely up for grabs) is a playoff team and so far this coach is not getting results, especially at home(horrible 1st periods always) and in crucial games(Habs).

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 06:52 PM
John Torturella

Sure, Glen Sather has created a bad situation. There is no denying this fact.

But this team is in a position to make the playoffs.

Someone has to be held responsible for multiple uninspired performances.

This community, myself included, killed Tom Renney because of uninspired play.

Why is Tortorella not being held to those same expectations?

Tortorella has lost the majority of the team. It seems pretty obvious.

Old
03-18-2010, 06:54 PM
satrabyk

I will not argue with this point, clearly Torts runs quite a dictatorship and does not always work well. How could you disagree with Brooks when Torts all season switched lines, and benched guys who make minor mistakes.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 06:55 PM
Grifter3511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
You think Torts gives much a **** about what Larry Brooks writes about him?

I think its pretty clear from his actions towards the press that he really doesn't have much respect for them.
Clearly torts does care, considering the infamous bus stop incident was caused by torts taking issue with something Brooks had written. Torts then proceeded to say he would not acknowledge Brooks for the rest of the interview.

Torts cares.

When his entire job to this point has been smoke and mirrors, he cares how it's coming across.

In closing though, Brooks ****ing sucks.

Torts isn't much better.

Grifter3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 06:56 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Agreed, he should, and will be, slamming Sather in the near future, thats a given.

Lets talk PP. Last year Drury led all in PP points with 20. Gaby has 24, Prospal 19 already this year. Those two on a Renney PP wouldve helped a tad I think.

Torts has a few talents. At the very least Renney got a team into the playoffs with Nigel Dawes and players of that ilk. I still think this team this year(8th spot is absolutely up for grabs) is a playoff team and so far this coach is not getting results, especially at home(horrible 1st periods always) and in crucial games(Habs).
It really is funny. How exactly can you say that Tortorella has made the power play more successful? The Rangers added one of the most offensively talented players in the NHL. The power play should be better.

Also, its not like the power play is worlds better. Its not even 5% better.

Old
03-18-2010, 07:06 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
based on what exactly? a pretty slanted piece written by a guy who hates Torts' guts?

I dont buy that one bit. I havent seen a team thats given up on the head coach, Ive seen a team that plays very stupid hockey. Not necessarily the system, more the execution.
Based on the fact that this team is playing even less inspired than they were when Renney supposedly lost the team.

03-18-2010, 07:11 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
I will not argue with this point, clearly Torts runs quite a dictatorship and does not always work well. How could you disagree with Brooks when Torts all season switched lines, and benched guys who make minor mistakes.
Last year Tom Renney was slaughtered and ultimately fired. Look at the list of things he was killed for.

1) Boring system "stifling" offensive ability
2) Too many men penalties
3) Bad power play
4) Constantly changing line combinations
5) Team does not respond to him

How many of these things have changed? The power play? Not really. When you add Gaborik its gonna make the power play better.

They still take too many men penalties. The system Tortorella tried to implement was a disaster. He changes line combos like Sean Avery changes outfits. The team doesn't seem to respond to his antics.

So we fired Tom Renney because these reasons, nothing changes so now because everyone likes the guy for some reason, its the players that are solely at fault.

Old
03-18-2010, 07:51 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
No one necessarily likes Tortorella but those of us who don't swear an allegiance to the coach of the NY Rangers, whether that be Tom Renney, John Tortorella, or any other schmuk dumb enough to take it... can at least see that both of them turned **** into ****.

There is no water into wine or mud into gold going on from any coach that comes in here. It baffles me people refuse to drop the "my coach is better than your coach" mentality. It really serves no purpose. Just look at the Boston Bruins (08-09 to 09-10) for a fine example of the same team basically and the same coach and completely different results even pre-injuries.

It's two approaches similiar results whether or not this team makes the playoffs. The only conceivable constant in the futility equation is Glen Sather and his short term UFA binges.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 07:59 PM
haveandare

Another Torts hating thread...I'm shocked.

Whether or not you like Torts as a coach, Brooks' job isn't to write a small novel about the things that irk him about Torts, its to cover the team which he does TERRIBLY. Zipay seems to talk to the players, he has quotes you don't get anywhere else, he talks about their attitudes and feelings about the season and he also talks about Torts, Sather etc. so don't use the excuse that Torts has a clamp on the locker room. Other beat writers can manage to write about other topics aside from Torts, and if you're going to ride someone over this team, ride Sather who unarguably deserves it.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote