Closed Thread

Old
01-27-2005, 03:34 AM
mileflames

vCash: 500
Lead All North American Hockey Teams In Average Attendance

CALGARY HITMEN LEAD ALL NORTH AMERICAN HOCKEY TEAMS IN AVERAGE ATTENDANCE

For Immediate Release Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Calgary, AB – Through the Calgary Hitmen’s first 23 home games the team leads all Canadian Hockey League teams as well as the American Hockey League, the East Coast Hockey League, the United Hockey League and the Central Hockey League in average attendance.

http://www.hitmenhockey.com/mediare...&subject_no=231

Old
01-27-2005, 04:09 AM
Lard_Lad

Working link: http://www.hitmenhockey.com/mediarel...subject_no=231

Old
01-29-2005, 05:57 PM
Roughneck

Send a message via MSN to Roughneck
And people were upset that Calgary was called the best hockey city.

Old
01-30-2005, 07:40 AM
mbam99

Send a message via MSN to mbam99
What the article doesn't say is that a lot of thier games are being played in the Saddledome, which has a seating capacity of 18,000.
What they should report is sell out percentage or something along those lines to give an idea of how full the building really is. So averaging a half full rink, IMO is the other side of the story.

Old
01-30-2005, 04:29 PM
CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck
Hah, good one.

Old
01-30-2005, 09:48 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbam99
What the article doesn't say is that a lot of thier games are being played in the Saddledome, which has a seating capacity of 18,000.
What they should report is sell out percentage or something along those lines to give an idea of how full the building really is. So averaging a half full rink, IMO is the other side of the story.
Very good point. here the Knights sell out all 9090 seats a game, and no doubtedly could top 10-11,000 a game if they had the space.

anyways, congrats to the Hitmen on doing this, but yet, 9,000 fans in an 19,000 seat arena really doesn't sound or look that impressive.

Old
01-31-2005, 03:31 AM
Emerald City Bruin
I-90 W for 2500mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02
Very good point. here the Knights sell out all 9090 seats a game, and no doubtedly could top 10-11,000 a game if they had the space.

anyways, congrats to the Hitmen on doing this, but yet, 9,000 fans in an 19,000 seat arena really doesn't sound or look that impressive.
So those same 9,000 people in a 10,000 seat arena would impress you more? Why? It's still 9,000 people no matter what size the building.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are some AHL teams playing in large arenas that aren't getting 9,000 a game.

Hopefully you can explain your logic to me.

Old
01-31-2005, 06:18 PM
mbam99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird107
So those same 9,000 people in a 10,000 seat arena would impress you more? Why? It's still 9,000 people no matter what size the building.

Also, I'm pretty sure there are some AHL teams playing in large arenas that aren't getting 9,000 a game.

The point being made here is not the actual numbers. 9,080 people they are averaging out of a city of "Statistical Information about Calgary
Population: 922,315 (2003 Civic Census)" is 0.98447/100 people attending the Hitmen games.

London Ontario's population "336,540" and thier average attendance is 9,025 whic would translate into 2.6817/100 people.

Red Deers capacity for the Centrium is 5735. We have played 25 games at home this year. I know we have sold out most of the games. So lets say average around 5600 people per game. Red Deer's latest population is about 75,923...that works out to 7.37589/100 people going to the Rebels games.
Like go_leafs_go02 said, the Rebels would defintely have a higher attendance if the arena was bigger.

I guess the point of this quote is that even though Calgary has the highest average attendance, it doesn't say much when less that 1% of a city's population attends the games. Where as in London, just over 2-1/2% attend the games and in Red Deer over 7% attend the games

Old
01-31-2005, 06:34 PM
London Knights

Quote:

The Knights have the entire season sold out, including standing room, in an arena that maxes out at what they are averaging for attendance on the season.

The argument that was proposed was that if the Knights had more room they would be averaging more. I doubt that it was meant in a way to insult the accomplishment of Calgary, but to just put into perspective that it is possible that the Knights could be leading the pack if they had the capacity to do so.

Old
01-31-2005, 07:22 PM
CF

Let me ask you something. If the Knights weren't having so much success right now, would they be selling out every game? Infact, I can tell you that they wouldn't.

Old
01-31-2005, 11:04 PM
macleafs

You could say the same about Kelowna!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Knights
The Knights have the entire season sold out, including standing room, in an arena that maxes out at what they are averaging for attendance on the season.

The argument that was proposed was that if the Knights had more room they would be averaging more. I doubt that it was meant in a way to insult the accomplishment of Calgary, but to just put into perspective that it is possible that the Knights could be leading the pack if they had the capacity to do so.
Kelowna has been sold out for the last two years, so you could say if they built a bigger rink then they would have the best attendence.

Old
02-01-2005, 03:47 AM
Emerald City Bruin
I-90 W for 2500mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbam99
The point being made here is not the actual numbers. 9,080 people they are averaging out of a city of "Statistical Information about Calgary
Population: 922,315 (2003 Civic Census)" is 0.98447/100 people attending the Hitmen games.

London Ontario's population "336,540" and thier average attendance is 9,025 whic would translate into 2.6817/100 people.

Red Deers capacity for the Centrium is 5735. We have played 25 games at home this year. I know we have sold out most of the games. So lets say average around 5600 people per game. Red Deer's latest population is about 75,923...that works out to 7.37589/100 people going to the Rebels games.
Like go_leafs_go02 said, the Rebels would defintely have a higher attendance if the arena was bigger.

I guess the point of this quote is that even though Calgary has the highest average attendance, it doesn't say much when less that 1% of a city's population attends the games. Where as in London, just over 2-1/2% attend the games and in Red Deer over 7% attend the games

So, say, Minnesota selling out a game is less impressive than Detroit selling out a game because Detroit has a higher population?

And how do you know that more people would show up to a Rebs game if the arena was bigger? Are there long lines at the door of people getting turned away cause there are no more tickets? Is there a movement to expand because so many people are disappointed that they can't get in?

Sold out crowd in current arena != more attendance if you increase the arena size.

Old
02-01-2005, 02:05 PM
mbam99

Quote:
So, say, Minnesota selling out a game is less impressive than Detroit selling out a game because Detroit has a higher population?

And how do you know that more people would show up to a Rebs game if the arena was bigger? Are there long lines at the door of people getting turned away cause there are no more tickets? Is there a movement to expand because so many people are disappointed that they can't get in?

Sold out crowd in current arena != more attendance if you increase the arena size.
Yes, more people would show to a Rebs game if the arena was bigger. There is a big call for Rebels tickets. Maybe its because of the lock out, who knows? I do know that there is a waiting list for season tickets. They cannot sell any more season tickets because they have to have so many for walk ups and so many for the visiting team.
Don't get me wrong, Calgary has the highest average attendance in minor hockey, which is great....just put it into perspective that they could have alot more. They have a rink that could seat 19,000 people and are only drawing 9000.
I'm sure if the Hitmen make it deep into the playoffs they will probably attract even more fans (a la the Flames run in the Spring), but the London Knights and the Rebels are already full.
I would bet that if the Rebels or the Knights had a 19,000 seat rink to put fans into, they would both be averaging a lot more than 9,000 people, even with a smaller population.

Old
02-02-2005, 06:54 PM
Bandwagoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck
You forgot to mention that it was in 2004

Old
02-02-2005, 09:20 PM
Tipped Off

Send a message via AIM to Tipped Off Send a message via MSN to Tipped Off Send a message via Yahoo to Tipped Off
Silly

This has to be one of, if not the most, silly arguements I've read on this board to date. First of all your both right. Congrats to Calgary for leading in attendence...it is a great accomplishment.

When they list the teams in the MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL who lead the league in attendance they don't put an asterisk next to the team in first because the teams in 4th or 12th or whatever "sold out" their games. In fact, the Dodgers are always amongst the league leaders in attendance every year (2nd in 2004) but you can walk up to the ticket window for just about every game and buy a seat (they averaged 76% capacity in 2004). Whereas Boston always ranks about 10th (11th in 2004) and they sell out the season before it even begins (they averaged 100.7% capacity in 2004).

The fact of the matter is, you can only hold what you hold. Don't you think if it was financially feasable the Knights or the Rebels or whoever would tear down their stadium and build a bigger one? The fact is, it usually isn't. The attendance wouldn't increase by enough over the long haul to pay for the rebuild in a decent time frame. So teams like the Knights & Rebels can vie for the "most sellouts" or "best seats to bodies" ratio (and beleive me the PR firms figure this stuff out...or should)....while the Hitmen can claim the Largest crowds.

There really isn't an arguement. They are two completely different & seperate issues.

Old
02-05-2005, 01:29 AM
mbam99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tipped Off
This has to be one of, if not the most, silly arguements I've read on this board to date. First of all your both right. Congrats to Calgary for leading in attendence...it is a great accomplishment.

When they list the teams in the MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL who lead the league in attendance they don't put an asterisk next to the team in first because the teams in 4th or 12th or whatever "sold out" their games. In fact, the Dodgers are always amongst the league leaders in attendance every year (2nd in 2004) but you can walk up to the ticket window for just about every game and buy a seat (they averaged 76% capacity in 2004). Whereas Boston always ranks about 10th (11th in 2004) and they sell out the season before it even begins (they averaged 100.7% capacity in 2004).

The fact of the matter is, you can only hold what you hold. Don't you think if it was financially feasable the Knights or the Rebels or whoever would tear down their stadium and build a bigger one? The fact is, it usually isn't. The attendance wouldn't increase by enough over the long haul to pay for the rebuild in a decent time frame. So teams like the Knights & Rebels can vie for the "most sellouts" or "best seats to bodies" ratio (and beleive me the PR firms figure this stuff out...or should)....while the Hitmen can claim the Largest crowds.

There really isn't an arguement. They are two completely different & seperate issues.
Yeah, you are absolutely right. The fact of the matter is I hate Calgary!

Old
02-06-2005, 04:29 PM
MikeS

Tipped-Off has hit the nail on the head here. The PR people will work hard to spin it. We should all just be happy we have hockey and keep supporting out teams!

(BTW, Everett =98,000 and averages 6,000+ per game, and only 25 miles from Seattle )

Closed Thread