HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers near deal with collegian Testwuide

Old
03-18-2010, 11:55 PM
Jori

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Jori
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
I saw this at work and I was going to mention to get Jori over here and find out more about him. I know Jori is a big CC fan
Don't insult me like that....I'm a DU fan

Both DU and CC play in the same conference so I've seen my fair share of Mike and he always seemed to play his best against Denver. His older brother who graduated last year, went to DU, so it's been a fun family rivalry.

I think you guys will like Mike. He uses his body well. Didn't seem to have problems getting to the net against Denver. The guy was a real terror against the Pioneers

He's a hard worker. I'll imagine he'll be with the Phantoms next year. Even though he went to CC, I wish him luck. I'll always root for kids from Colorado.

In case you are wondering, his name is pronounced "Test-weed." I'm sure you'll have fun with that one

Old
03-19-2010, 12:26 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jori View Post
Don't insult me like that....I'm a DU fan

Both DU and CC play in the same conference so I've seen my fair share of Mike and he always seemed to play his best against Denver. His older brother who graduated last year, went to DU, so it's been a fun family rivalry.

I think you guys will like Mike. He uses his body well. Didn't seem to have problems getting to the net against Denver. The guy was a real terror against the Pioneers

He's a hard worker. I'll imagine he'll be with the Phantoms next year. Even though he went to CC, I wish him luck. I'll always root for kids from Colorado.

In case you are wondering, his name is pronounced "Test-weed." I'm sure you'll have fun with that one

Oh my bad. Its like calling a BU fan a BC fan lol.
He seemed to be a guy that quite a few teams had interest in. With the lack of draft picks the Flyers have signing guys like this are worth the risk

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 02:15 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Is homer just throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks? I don't mind the moves just wondering whats going on.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 02:26 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
I don't follow NCAA, and have never heard of the guy before, but here's some news...

Flyers near deal with collegian Testwuide

Link
Big frame, tendency to be physical and crash the net - he'll fit right in with the Flyers organization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
BTW, I've actually seen some DU games over the past few years, and in turn, when they played CC. As far as I can recall, the games I seen I heard his name called more than anyone else. We're hoping to come up with another Dustin Penner I'd say. Just not a good year for CC, he must have suffered.
To be fair, his older brother played at DU so that might have something to do with the Testwuide name being called more than anyone else.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:49 AM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Is homer just throwing **** at the wall and seeing what sticks? I don't mind the moves just wondering whats going on.
No, the scouting staff is doing it's job - finding talent whereever it is.

Testwuide is a big body forward (which we need more of) who clearly wants to be a Flyer. If he turns into Knuble (who himself wasn't any good until he was almost 30) then it's a great signing. If he doesn't, no loss.

With the salary cap, the Flyers are still spending $10 million/yr less on talent than they were before the lockout.

Holmstrom is a character checking player - let's say he could be groomed to replace Betts in a couple years.

Why is that bad?

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Why is that bad?
No one is saying that this is bad. Fans want to see results and they want to see it on NHL level.

Clarke found Fedotenko then he stole Umberger, what about Homer?

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:54 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Well, reading back a few weeks ago (through articles, hfboards, etc etc) some had Testwuide as one of the top 5 undrafted college free agents...

Now if he can actually do something is one thing, but that does make me feel good I guess

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:25 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
He's scouting and getting good hockey players that you've never heard of. Generally all the players that you have heard of went in the draft and someone else has their rights, but it's cheap to try and find the diamonds in the rough, and better for the future than filling the Phantoms with a bunch of AHL journeymen who have no prayer of reaching the NHL.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:52 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
No one should be complaining about this at all. Low risk, high reward.
Worse that happens hes a AHL lifer.
Also Minnesota signed a teammate of his(Nate Prosser) If am not mistaken, but the player has to stay with the Wild and cannot go to Houston(Minnesota's AHL affiliate) due to his age. the thing is Prosser and Testwuide are both 23. There has to be more to this why Testwuide can go to the AHL and Prosser cannot.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:13 PM
CantSeeColors

Sa cyrd, do you know if JFK was drafted by anyone? The few times I've been able to catch RPI games I've liked what I've seen from him. He seems like a solid physical, defensive D-man. That mohawk is pretty badass too.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:16 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
No one should be complaining about this at all. Low risk, high reward.
Worse that happens hes a AHL lifer.
Also Minnesota signed a teammate of his(Nate Prosser) If am not mistaken, but the player has to stay with the Wild and cannot go to Houston(Minnesota's AHL affiliate) due to his age. the thing is Prosser and Testwuide are both 23. There has to be more to this why Testwuide can go to the AHL and Prosser cannot.
Prosser will be 24 in a couple months and can only sign a one-year deal right now while Testwuide has a two-year deal. Minnesota is keeping Prosser up to maintain his rights for July 1st when they have to re-sign him; Philadelphia doesn't have this problem.

Old
03-19-2010, 08:49 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Sa cyrd, do you know if JFK was drafted by anyone? The few times I've been able to catch RPI games I've liked what I've seen from him. He seems like a solid physical, defensive D-man. That mohawk is pretty badass too.
Nope not drafted. Pretty solid player though. 6.00 ft, 195 lb. Captain also.

I would love for them to go after him and Polacek. Kerins is also having a good season, but some say its because of Pirri/Amigo/Polacek (dont really know the true lines, but just saying what some friends are saying). (EDIT: I cant believe I forgot Pirri)

Also some info on Testwuide. Suposidly he is VERY close to NHL ready...

Quote:
Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren crossed another undrafted free agent off his list this week.

Holmgren confirmed to the Daily News that the Flyers have agreed to a two-year contract – beginning next season – with Colorado College forward Mike Testwuide.

The Colorado Springs (Col.) Gazette said the former Tigers captain agreed to a deal Thursday afternoon, capping off a hectic week that included serious offers from the Rangers, Capitals and Avalanche.

The deal is worth close to the maximum NHL Entry Level contract for top draft picks at $900,000/year (NHL) and $65,000/year (AHL).

Testwuide, 23, was one of the most sought after college players because scouts feel he is close to NHL ready.

The Flyers narrowly missed out on fellow college player Casey Wellman earlier in the week, who signed with the Minnesota Wild after wrapping up two seasons at UMass. Wellman will make his NHL debut tonight in Columbus.

The 6-foot-3, 220 pound winger won’t be playing for the Flyers or Phantoms this season, opting to let an upper body injury heal itself in the offseason.

“Mike will be given every opportunity to earn a roster spot in our 2010 training camp,” Holmgren said.

Testwuide posted 21 goals and 10 assists in 39 games for Colorado College.

“[The Flyers] showed interest and were pretty consistent,” Testwuide told the Colorado Springs (Col.) Gazette. “I liked the organization and the style of play. I think I will fit in well.”

Testwuide will join Colorado Springs native Ben Holmstrom (UMass-Lowell), Luke Pither (OHL's Barrie Colts) and Shane Harper (WHL's Everett Silvertips) as undrafted free agent signees in the Flyers organization.
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/

This offseason might be VERY interesting, prospect wise. Lots of guys competing for spots

Last edited by sa cyred: 03-19-2010 at 09:09 PM.
Old
03-19-2010, 08:51 PM
mm6492

Quote:
The Flyers narrowly missed out on fellow college player Casey Wellman earlier in the week, who signed with the Minnesota Wild after wrapping up two seasons at UMass. Wellman will make his NHL debut tonight in Columbus.
That would have been nice.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:55 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm6492 View Post
That would have been nice.
See him play tonight? Kid is GOOD. Watched abit of it. He made things happen

Old
03-19-2010, 08:56 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Looked pretty good, but I did not see a tton of the game. But did see him out there

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 03:06 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Why did you watch Minnesota-Columbus?

Old
03-20-2010, 03:56 AM
chaosof99*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
He wouldnt be eligible to play this season would he? Or just not in the playoffs?
Actually he will be eligible. A few examples have been named already but actually the Flyers did the same thing last season. They signed Sloane and some other dude to 1 day contracts each to fill up holes 3rd defense pairing due to injuries for a few games in March and April 2009.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:11 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
Why did you watch Minnesota-Columbus?
Pretty much because of Wellman. Im big into prospects/rookies, so their first few games or so I like to watch how they do. I only saw parts here and there though

Old
03-20-2010, 11:05 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
I would love for them to go after him and Polacek. Kerins is also having a good season, but some say its because of Pirri/Amigo/Polacek (dont really know the true lines, but just saying what some friends are saying). (EDIT: I cant believe I forgot Pirri)
Having those guys probably doesn't hurt, but Kerins is just a good player. Saw him a fair amount when he was a freshman and I was a senior and have been impressed since.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote