HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Don Maloney leaves & takes the success with him

Old
03-19-2010, 02:09 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

vCash: 500
Don Maloney leaves & takes the success with him

We had that little wave of success when this guy was around as Rangers' vice-president of player personnel and also Assistant GM to Glen Sather. It could have been considered a high point of this organization ever since the pre-lockout years. At the time there were spurts and blurts floating that Maloney is running the ship(Rangers at the time) more than people thought. It was getting so bad that he was asked on MSG at one point; if he infact is running more of the show then some think. He didn't really deny it, nor did he aknowledge it. He did say that Sather is the man who puts the final touches and confirms anything.

His fingerprints seem there. Eespecially when you consider his pursue of aquiring Prucha and Korpikoski back to PHO.

He has totally reshaped the Phoenix franchise into a legitimate threat. He only became the GM of that team in 2007 and already has them on the verge of making the playoffs. Ever since his deperature in 2007 the Rangers franchise has been in shambles in terms of talent assesment(offseason signings, player scouting)Not so much drafting. Redden, Drury, and Gomez have all been signings after his(Maloney's) departure. Did he, or did he not have more assesment on player transactions? Was he someone who Glen relied on heavily during his time w/ the Rangers? I may be reaching here; I don't know, but we always tend to end up with the short end of the stick.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 02:15 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

very overrated GM. look at his drafting history, its spotty at best. the Yotes are your classic 1 year overachiever, and were helped out tremendously by TGO stepping down. I don't buy them as a team that will be good beyond this year. Sorry, just don't see em that way.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 02:30 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

He aquired Pucha, Dawes, and kalinin from us for Derek Morris. Pruchs is a player, Dawes can be as well. He did lose Dawes. Then he trades a CONDITIONAL DRAFT PICK for Derek Morris this season. He has Morris back for pretty much nothing. This is just one example.

It just seems like his asset managing is very good. Trading and offseason moves seem to be very good. Which leads to the question in the original post.

Old
03-19-2010, 02:32 AM
ManicSubsidal15

Send a message via AIM to ManicSubsidal15
I agree kinda with both of you. I think Maloney has done an excellent job for Phoenix and was the true mastermind for the Rangers for a little bit.

At the same time, Gretz was an awful coach and Tippet had been awesome for the Coyotes and getting that young roster to play so well

ManicSubsidal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 04:45 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManicSubsidal15 View Post
I agree kinda with both of you. I think Maloney has done an excellent job for Phoenix and was the true mastermind for the Rangers for a little bit.

At the same time, Gretz was an awful coach and Tippet had been awesome for the Coyotes and getting that young roster to play so well
They have the 15th oldest/youngest team in the league. dead smack in the middle.

they are not a young roster. the new york rangers have the 9th youngest roster in the NHL

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:54 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
the new york rangers have the 9th youngest roster in the NHL
But the #1 immature roster

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:11 AM
alkurtz

Let's say for a moment that our wildest fantasy comes true and Dolan fires Sather.

Can Dolan be trusted to hire the next GM? Obviously not, as he has said multiple times that he knows nothing about hockey. Who would he turn to? Who would advise him?

The more likely scenario is that Sather, at some point in the next quarter century, decides to step down of his own volition. Dolan than asks Sather who he wants to be the next GM.

Obvious answer is Mess or Gretz. Mess is an unknown quantity at this point, and I'm not comfortable with it. Gretz is not a good choice. Another old Oiler from somewhere?

Maybe Dolan asks Islander management for help and they decide to make Henrik GM (only kidding).

Bottom line here is that the management of the team on all levels is not conducive to assembling a long term successful team. Dolan is not going anyway and likely Sather is not either. Why should he? He's got the perfect life.

Does anybody know whether he was even in the building last night? When was the last time he was seen in NYC?

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:40 AM
Ola

Quote:
very overrated GM. look at his drafting history, its spotty at best. the Yotes are your classic 1 year overachiever, and were helped out tremendously by TGO stepping down. I don't buy them as a team that will be good beyond this year. Sorry, just don't see em that way.
I kind of agree.

But, I think Maloney is fantastic at doing a lot with little.

He was like behind bringing Rozsival to NY too. Undoubtedly a extremely good signing (he made what, 1m?).

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:56 AM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
They have the 15th oldest/youngest team in the league. dead smack in the middle.

they are not a young roster. the new york rangers have the 9th youngest roster in the NHL
People like Kyle Turris, Viktor Tikhonov, Brett MacLean, and Mikkel Boedker are all waiting in the wings. They have plenty of young players coming soon but they are taking a different approach. Besides alot of the core is young like Michalek, Upshall, Yandle, Hanzal, Korpikoski, and Wolski. Only 2 of the forwards are aged 30+. The defense has some veterans but there are a bunch of defensive prospects like Ekman-Larsson, Goncharov, Summers, Stone, and Ross who will all be getting their shots at the big time very soon.

Is it really that bad to be right smack in the middle? the last few years they have been near the youngest and it wasn't working. They have found the right mix of veterans and young players and it is propelling them upwards.

PHX's avg age is 28.5
NYR's is 27.1

If you take out anomalies like Lang and Schneider from PHX, they are at 27.6.

Besides, who is faring better right now? When it comes playoff time, PHX is going to be in a very good position with guys who have been there before.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:57 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Let's say for a moment that our wildest fantasy comes true and Dolan fires Sather.

Can Dolan be trusted to hire the next GM? Obviously not, as he has said multiple times that he knows nothing about hockey. Who would he turn to? Who would advise him?

The more likely scenario is that Sather, at some point in the next quarter century, decides to step down of his own volition. Dolan than asks Sather who he wants to be the next GM.

Obvious answer is Mess or Gretz. Mess is an unknown quantity at this point, and I'm not comfortable with it. Gretz is not a good choice. Another old Oiler from somewhere?

Maybe Dolan asks Islander management for help and they decide to make Henrik GM (only kidding).

Bottom line here is that the management of the team on all levels is not conducive to assembling a long term successful team. Dolan is not going anyway and likely Sather is not either. Why should he? He's got the perfect life.

Does anybody know whether he was even in the building last night? When was the last time he was seen in NYC?
@ the thought of Dolan searching for a GM.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:05 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:

I was never a big fan of his either, as a player he was a human punching bag, and got flattened every night and did nothing...

Mio41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:11 AM
TheHotRock

the whole having an all world goalie fall into your lap without having to give up anything didn't really hurt, did it?

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Chief

If you look at the timeline of Rangers post lockout, I think it would be a mistake to attribute it to Maloney over Jagr. Further, it was Renney who steered the ship to the Jagr posse. Renney had the international experience and saw what those players did on that stage.

Maloney's lousy drafting (primarily his high draft picks) has screwed the Rangers over for years to come.

I don't think it'd be fair to characterize Phoenix as Maloney's team just yet but I do think he's done a good job so far there.

Chief is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:59 AM
AXN

Coyotees are in the playoffs and with the moves he made at the trading deadline they might advance in the playoffs. This is what the Coyotees needed. To prove to the fans and everybody else that they can win. I did not think it would happen that fast but it did.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:24 AM
OverTheCap

Don Maloney leaves and takes Prucha, Dawes, Korpikoski, and Montoya with him. Is that what is considered "success" these days?

Maloney was a big proponent of selecting Jessiman in the draft. If he was running the show while he was Assistant GM here, then he deserves a considerable portion of the blame for poor drafting. He's doing a fine job in Phoenix but I don't miss him that much right now.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:50 AM
bcrt2000

I think Maloney definitely was the key to our success. If we still had him we would be a perennial top-5 team IMO.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:52 AM
bcrt2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Don Maloney leaves and takes Prucha, Dawes, Korpikoski, and Montoya with him. Is that what is considered "success" these days?
In a short time Maloney has taken a dog of a team and has led them to the best season ever in Phoenix. Thats success.

bcrt2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:06 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

He is, at best, a slightly above average GM. The biggest reason that the Coyotes have improved, by far, is that they happened to be horrible when a legit starting goaltender was placed on waivers.

Quote:
On November 16, 2007, Bryzgalov was placed on waivers and claimed by the Phoenix Coyotes the following day on November 17.
He's made a few nice moves here and there, but the acquisition of Bryzgalov on waivers changed that team's fortunes, and Maloney doesn't deserve very much acclaim for placing a waiver claim and being bad enough to win out on it.

He was here for numerous bad draft picks, too.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:29 AM
LamoTheKid

Anyone see Korpedo's ridiculous goal last night?

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:52 AM
drewcon40

Don Maloney was the lead enthusiast for the Hugh Jessiman pick, as well as the Montoya and Korpikoski picks in 2004. I guess the question you would want to ask yourself is would you rather Don Maloney over Gordie Clark? I find it difficult to judge a GM from his arrival time. A few local examples are the football Giants. Jerry Reese took over in 2007. However, Ernie Accorsi's fingerprints were all over that roster. Heck Craig Patrick should be given credit for selecting Leetch and Richter when he did.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:01 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I see many people talking about draft choices, when in my original post I made clear I was refering mostly about assessing players other than draft picks. Like offseason moves, scouting veterans.

You know...the current managment that scouted Redden and thought he'd still be a capable number 1 d-men.

Old
03-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Doug Height
Okposwag

Maloney sucks, he will probably wreck Phoenix after they make a run this year, just like the 93 isles.

Doug Height is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
He is, at best, a slightly above average GM. The biggest reason that the Coyotes have improved, by far, is that they happened to be horrible when a legit starting goaltender was placed on waivers.

He's made a few nice moves here and there, but the acquisition of Bryzgalov on waivers changed that team's fortunes, and Maloney doesn't deserve very much acclaim for placing a waiver claim and being bad enough to win out on it.

He was here for numerous bad draft picks, too.
Don't you ever have anything good to say about anyone?

Sheesh man the sun is out lighten up. Maloney did a good job for the Isles, Rangers and now the Yotes. I think he's shown he can run a team and do it well.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:51 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamoTheKid View Post
Anyone see Korpedo's ridiculous goal last night?
Awesome goal. He has hands. Pretty much a replica of that signature Jussi Jokinen goal.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:36 PM
mhurley

If the Jessiman drafting is the "issue" people have with Maloney, then you are being short sighted on the issue. Jessiman was taken 12 th overall and Parise (among others) was left on the table by the Rangers and 11 other teams.

What everyone seems to forget is that Jessiman ruptured his deltoid ligament in his ankle. Maloney could not have forseen that. This injury basically took away any hope Jessiman had of making it to the NHL.

I thought Donny did a great job for the Rangers and is doing a great job in Phoenix. I knew when he walked out the door it would only be a matter of time before Tom would follow him out. Too bad Tom had to be fired. He and Donny were a good team. I wouldn't mind seeing them both back again.

Renney hockey may have been boring but at least it wasn't the disorganized mess we've witness out there this season. Renney took the players Sather gave him and put up a winning record by demanding defense first. Tortorella took the players he was given and let them run. When the other teams started to catch up after the first ten games of the season, he had and has no plan B.

Since I doubt either Donny or Renney will return to the Rangers in my lifetime, I would like to see Sather step down and Messier take his place. Why prolong the inevitable?If he falls on his face, I rather get that over with sooner rather then later. The sooner the fan base and Dolan get the Messier/94 Cup legacy out of their system, the sooner the franchise will be able to move forward. Who knows Messier do okay but I'm not holding my breath.

Lastly, if the Rangers are going to scrape the bottom of the rankings for the next four years, they should do the right thing and trade Lundqvist to a contender. He's too good to languish his career here on a rebuilding team.

Last edited by mhurley: 03-19-2010 at 07:45 PM.
mhurley is offline   Reply With Quote