HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offense (most overpaid overrated top six in league? )

Old
03-19-2010, 09:13 AM
The Fuhr*

vCash: 500
Offense (most overpaid overrated top six in league? )

Alfredsson - Last 46GP 11G (Had a 3G game and a 2G game)
So 38 of his last 46 games he has not scored a goal
Cap Hit: 5.6

Kovalev - Last 57GP 13G (Had a 4G game and a 3G game)
So 49 of his last 57 games he has not scored a goal
Cap Hit: 5.0

Fisher - Last 37GP 6G
So 31 of his last 37 games he has not scored a goal
Cap Hit: 4.2

Michalek - Last 39GP 7G
So 32 of his last 39 games he has not scored a goal
Cap Hit: 4.33

Spezza - Last 8GP 1G
He had an incredible hot streak coming back from injury 11GP 9G
Before injury 30GP 5G
Cap Hit: 7.0

I don’t know who to put as the sixth member of the top six. Cheechoo 3.0 (when he was here), Kelly 2.2, Cullen 2.8 (2G in 10GP here) and Neil 2.0 have not really been lighting it up either.

Aside from a Spezza 11GP hot streak our offense has been absolutely brutal for the last 30-40 games. That is a ton of money being spent on limited production.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:16 AM
Puckhog27

How many points do they have though? You can't just go by goals as that would be silly IMO. Lots of these guys are better playmakers then they are goal scorers. For instance Joe Thornton is a good playmaker, but not so great a goal scorer.

Puckhog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:18 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhog27 View Post
How many points do they have though? You can't just go by goals as that would be silly IMO. Lots of these guys are better playmakers then they are goal scorers. For instance Joe Thornton is a good playmaker, but not so great a goal scorer.
On a team that desperately needs goals. We need goals bad it is way more important then playmaking.

There is two assists per one goal

Old
03-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Wham City

Ya if someone can show me a top 6 that costs more and produces less I'd love to see it.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:23 AM
SNAPshot

I agree with you, but I'm trully wondering what we could do in the offseason to remedy that... Those 5 guys are on our roster for next season too.

Our balanced lines have been a blessing at times, but at others, I still wish we had elite level talent in our first line.

What I mean is that Spezza is elite talent, but his style needs to be completed by another elite player (or players) to make things happen. Alfie is getting older (he's still awesome), Michalek has been streaky and I'm starting to wonder about his chemistry with Spezza or what his potential is. Kovalev used to be elite but has lost the wheels. Fisher is still streaky as all hell and needs to be surrounded by the right kind of players. Foligno and Regin are still developping and still have question marks surrounding their potentials as well.

We really need a home run pick/trade...

(I'm still disappointed about Erhoff, I wish we could have landed him. We could have also had Afinogenov for a buck or two.)

SNAPshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Puckhog27

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
On a team that desperately needs goals. We need goals bad it is way more important then playmaking.

There is two assists per one goal
That is still an unfair assessment considering that most of them are more playmakers then goal scorers.

Kovalev is a bit below his normal pace. He usually scores around 20 - 26 goals a year.

Alfie and Spezza are way off their normal paces though and Michalek needs to do better if he is going to be the top line goal scorer for the team.

I don't think you can ask for much more from Fisher. Hes around his normal pace I believe.

Puckhog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

I don't care how much they make right now, I just want them to start producing. Worry about the salaries in the off-season. These are our top forwards skill-wise and they need to wake the **** up.

Kovalev in particular has been an offensive black hole whenever the puck goes near him. Creating less than nothing.
Michalek has been creating chance after chance for himself with his speed but he has absolutely no finish.
Spezza has not been shooting as much and been making dumb passes in the middle of the ice to nobody. Cullen is just as bad at that.
Alfredsson has slowed down and isn't hitting the net from the point or anywhere for that matter.
Fisher is a streaky scorer to begin with but he is barely playing defense anymore. He looks completely lost.

We need more from these guys if we want to win. No question. I'd put most of the blame for our woes on these five and Matt Cullen.
When the Sens were winning game after game, our top six were setting the tone and scoring timely goals.

Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:27 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckhog27 View Post
That is still an unfair assessment considering that most of them are more playmakers then goal scorers.

Kovalev is a bit below his normal pace. He usually scores around 20 - 26 goals a year.

Alfie and Spezza are way off their normal paces though and Michalek needs to do better if he is going to be the top line goal scorer for the team.

I don't think you can ask for much more from Fisher. Hes around his normal pace I believe.
What`s the point of spending 30 million dollars on playmakers if they have nobody to pass to that can put the puck in the net consistently?

30 million on playmakers
Another 10 million on grinders

That's 40 million dollars spent on forwards that don't score consistently

Old
03-19-2010, 09:30 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Michalek and Fisher are primarily goal scorers and grinders. Not known for their playmaking. Spezza is a 30 goal man every season (healthy). Kovalev and Alfredsson can easily get 25 even at their age. No excuses.

Old
03-19-2010, 09:33 AM
enviro61

This is why our pp sucks so hard. We have noone who shoot first and asks questions later. They all stand around looking for the perfect play. They are all so predictable.

What I want to know is, how is this going to get better next year with most of these guys on the downside of their career?

enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:34 AM
MatthewT

Thats what happens when you replace:
Dany Heatley (36-36=72)

With:
Milan Michalek (22-12=34)
Jonathan Cheechoo (5-9=14)

For a difference of 9 goals and 15 assists + a roster spot

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:35 AM
Blehst*

were in for a rough 4 years my friends.... that's how long it's going to take to come back..

Blehst* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:37 AM
mizza318

Essentially it comes down to coaching and the system they have the players executing.

I am not saying that Corey is a bad coach but he needs to make necessary adjusments. I am not a coach so I don't know what they could be. But changing up the PP would be a start.

Right now the team is in such a mess I don't know what can fix it.

mizza318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:37 AM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Dany Heatley (36-36=72)

With:

In less icetime to boot.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
What`s the point of spending 30 million dollars on playmakers if they have nobody to pass to that can put the puck in the net consistently?

30 million on playmakers
Another 10 million on grinders

That's 40 million dollars spent on forwards that don't score consistently
Best team of playmakers in the league. Doesn't that count for something?

Is Murray's time up yet?
wake me when it is.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Suiteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
Dany Heatley (36-36=72)

With:

It's not just that, Heatley by himself made our PP respectable, now it's a complete and total joke.

Suiteness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:45 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Stop letting the players off the hook. It's not Murray's fault these guys have seemingly packed it in. This is a good group of players that need to find their game again, and quickly.

Old
03-19-2010, 09:46 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by holybajesus View Post
were in for a rough 4 years my friends.... that's how long it's going to take to come back..
lol

spoken like someone with a firm grasp on things.
mind if i ask why 4 years? why not 5? or 2?

what specific set of factors makes in 4 years out of curiosity.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
lol

spoken like someone with a firm grasp on things.
mind if i ask why 4 years? why not 5? or 2?

what specific set of factors makes in 4 years out of curiosity.
He's an idiot savant.

Old
03-19-2010, 09:49 AM
TheWeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
It's not just that, Heatley by himself made our PP respectable, now it's a complete and total joke.
Bah, anyone who thinks that the Sens would actually be doing better with Heatley on the roster right now is kidding themselves, and also have very short memories.

The same level of crapitude that is surrounding the Sens right now happened regularly for the Sens when Heatley was on the roster; IE his presence did nothing to keep the team from going into a two month slump at the beginning of the 2006/2007 season, the last half of 2007/2008, and almost all of 2008/2009.

The guy simply is not a hockey player who lifts his team up and carries them on his back when things are going bad. If anything it's the opposite; he only plays well when the players around him are playing well.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:53 AM
TheWeb

Quote:
Alfredsson - Last 46GP 11G (Had a 3G game and a 2G game)
So 38 of his last 46 games he has not scored a goal
Cap Hit: 5.6

Kovalev - Last 57GP 13G (Had a 4G game and a 3G game)
So 49 of his last 57 games he has not scored a goal
Cap Hit: 5.0

Fisher - Last 37GP 6G
So 31 of his last 37 games he has not scored a goal
Cap Hit: 4.2

Michalek - Last 39GP 7G
So 32 of his last 39 games he has not scored a goal
Cap Hit: 4.33

Spezza - Last 8GP 1G
He had an incredible hot streak coming back from injury 11GP 9G
Before injury 30GP 5G
Cap Hit: 7.0

I don’t know who to put as the sixth member of the top six. Cheechoo 3.0 (when he was here), Kelly 2.2, Cullen 2.8 (2G in 10GP here) and Neil 2.0 have not really been lighting it up either.

Aside from a Spezza 11GP hot streak our offense has been absolutely brutal for the last 30-40 games. That is a ton of money being spent on limited production.
I certainly felt that when Heatley was still around, and our roster was very top heavy salary-wise that the team would never win the cup because the top end players were not cup-caliber. IE, Spezza / Heatley are not players worth $7.5M.

Now with Heatley gone and a slightly more balanced payroll, I thought we'd have a more dangerous team -- four lines that can generate offense, usually through a good hard forecheck.

Seems I was wrong. The forecheck has disappeared, and the skill level isn't there on any one of the lines to generate goals consistently.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:54 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Worst Poster View Post
Stop letting the players off the hook. It's not Murray's fault these guys have seemingly packed it in. This is a good group of players that need to find their game again, and quickly.
So you're saying it's the players alone that are responsible for this season's problems?
You like Leclaire and Elliott as our goaltenders? You like the Kovalev signing? You like the return we got for Heatley? You don't mind giving away 2 2nd round picks for rentals? You're ok with murray not bringing in a scorer at the deadline?
Are you really happy with the results over the last 3 years? Because that is what you're implying.

Old
03-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

so the team's in a tailspin, why not go for the jugular right?

Is lame posts like this one that makes me sick as a fan. Yes it's crap when your teams playing like a bunch of timbits, but reflect on the fact that we're in a playoff spot, and have plenty of talent.

as for teams with worse top 6, easy, take your pick, any team out of the playoffs... Tampa, Edmonton, Carolina, Florida, Columbus, Ducks, Dallas, Wild, etc......

Big Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Indy on the Road
From the ground up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best WorstPoster View Post
So you're saying it's the players alone that are responsible for this season's problems?
You like Leclaire and Elliott as our goaltenders? You like the Kovalev signing? You like the return we got for Heatley? You don't mind giving away 2 2nd round picks for rentals? You're ok with murray not bringing in a scorer at the deadline?
Are you really happy with the results over the last 3 years? Because that is what you're implying.
No you idiot. Keep it in within the context of this thread. It's not Murray's fault these 5 guys aren't producing.

Old
03-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Worst Poster View Post
No you idiot. Keep it in within the context of this thread. It's not Murray's fault these 5 guys aren't producing.
yes it is. he built the team around them. They have no one to play with. It's completely his fault.