HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Simon Gagné Appreciation Thread

Old
03-12-2010, 07:07 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
Wow, I have felt since the olympic break Simon Gagne has looked about 20 times better than he did early in the season and prebreak. He might not be the 40 goal scorer, but Ive felt since the break he has been extremely productive. Not a big sample size but a good start.
He's been very good of late.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:41 AM
Lomark

Simon Gagne the last 10 games: 8 goals, 2 assists and 34 sog. 3 game winners.

Lomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:43 AM
i am dave

Truth: Gagne has been playing excellent of late.

Also truth: I hope he fetches us a high draft pick or two in the offseason.

I appreciate his service to this team, but I look on this offseason as a prime opportunity to move on, clear some much-needed salary, and potentially receive a much-needed draft selection.

i am dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post

I appreciate his service to this team, but I look on this offseason as a prime opportunity to move on, clear some much-needed salary, and potentially receive a much-needed draft selection.
He won't waive his NTC, so it'll have to be someone else. Besides, the way he's playing, he's a bargain at $5.25M.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:15 AM
sickamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Sorry to rain on your appreciation thread, but Gagne pisses me off to no end sometimes. At this point, were it not for the fact that he's been on the team for so long and that I was once such a big fan of his, I'd want his ass out of here. I get that he's got concussion issues and is going to shy away from some of the physical play...but the extent to which he does so is just way too much. And compared to most other guys in this league, he's just got no heart. It pains me to say that, but it's true. Even when it comes to the things he's supposed to be best at...his two-way game is a little overrated, he's not that great of a defensive player. He gives up on the play all the time. And in some of these recent games in which he's scored, he hasn't even been very good...last night in particular. He had a ****** game last night. Richards and Carcillo were out there wreaking havoc, creating all kinds of opportunities, and Gags was just useless most of the night, and botching the opportunities he was given. For a long time I was against the idea of him leaving town, mainly because of his history here. But at this point, I'd be okay with it. I'd be willing to sign him for maybe about $3m per, but I doubt he'd take it...it'd probably be especially hard for him to accept considering what Briere is making. Hey, there's another reason Briere's contract sucks.
I'm a little taken aback with this post from you. Usually you are an island of sensible objectivity in a sea of emotional reaction in the moment. But I don't want you to take this as a slam on you, just a suggestion to maybe see if what you're saying is about Gagne himself or not.

It seems like you're judging him based on what kind of player you'd like to see over what kind of player he actually is. I think he's a great guy to have on any team. He's quiet, but effective. As far as salary is concerned there are more players NOT earning their oversized Holmgifts that I'd want out of here waaaay before him. In fact your last sentence pointed out player #1 that we could absolutely do without, contractually and otherwise.

My only two complaints about Gagne is that he's too tentative coming back from injury, and I really can't blame him for that since it can't be easy to put yourself right back into position to get hurt again, but it it does tend to last longer than most guys. The other is when he's going 1-on-1 with a goaltender he basically has one move, two if you count just a basic wrist shot. Otherwise I wouldn't move him just to have his spot filled with a possible cancer or a guy who just doesn't get it done and has high expectations to go along with his high paycheck that Holmgren didn't think through. Plus it would be Holmgren making the deal to move him and replace him and I have 0 confidence in that putz.

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by i am dave View Post

If you guys are willing to take Kovalev, he has one more year at 5 million, I'm sure Ottawa would part with some picks.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:35 AM
chaosof99*

Gags has been really good and he actually broke a few milestones this season. He moved into the top 10 all-time for points scored and games played for the Flyers. He also scored his 250th career goal and 500th career point this season.

Recently he's really been doing excellently after a long time of invisibility. I hope he keeps it up.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:38 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

i hate it when people say that gagne only has one breakaway move. Yeah sure he does, doesn't mean he doesn't score on it like 90% of the time. his goal totals are pretty much showing that

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:45 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
The Olympic break really helped him. He's finally looking like his old self. It's too bad that injuries robbed him of being at 100% (or even really playing period) for 3 years of his prime. 500 goals is going to be virtually impossible. I used to think that a Stanley Cup, a few solid playoff performances, a couple Selkes, and 500 goals would make him a shoo-in for the Hall. But his career really got derailed so most of those accomplishments aren't going to happen.

I hope he gets 40 goals next year so at least he can get paid after his contract is up. I doubt that he re-signs here so I hope that he gets a dumptruck full of money to play somewhere else.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:01 PM
infidelappel*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
The Olympic break really helped him. He's finally looking like his old self. It's too bad that injuries robbed him of being at 100% (or even really playing period) for 3 years of his prime. 500 goals is going to be virtually impossible. I used to think that a Stanley Cup, a few solid playoff performances, a couple Selkes, and 500 goals would make him a shoo-in for the Hall. But his career really got derailed so most of those accomplishments aren't going to happen.

I hope he gets 40 goals next year so at least he can get paid after his contract is up. I doubt that he re-signs here so I hope that he gets a dumptruck full of money to play somewhere else.
The break has certainly energized him, and he's playing like vintage Gags.

I hope he stays here, though. He says he wants to retire in Philly, and when his contract negotiations roll around we'll get to see how much he meant it. No matter his production, we can't keep him unless he takes slightly less dollars...or at the very least, stays pat where he is (assuming a huge year next year). And of course, even then it's questionable.

i really want him to stay, though...and hope he will. I still think he's more important to the core of this team than most realize.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:14 PM
agrudez*

To everyone who wants to move Gagne for draft picks....

how did letting Knuble walk while revamping the entire team this past offseason work out for most of the year?

Sometimes you need to keep players for more than what they bring to the ice, and when they actually bring alot of great qualities to the ice as well, then keeping them is what you call a no brainer.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:42 PM
fire bettman

I have always been a huge fan of Gagne's ever since we drafted him... it's hard for me to imagine him in any other uniform. It will probably be one of the most devastating trades of my lifetime if he goes (especially depending on who the team is that he is traded to).

I hope that if he does have to go though, that he plays out the rest of his time here like he has been of late.

fire bettman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 07:35 AM
sickamore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
i hate it when people say that gagne only has one breakaway move. Yeah sure he does, doesn't mean he doesn't score on it like 90% of the time. his goal totals are pretty much showing that
Hate it all you want, but the goal totals aren't from a bunch of breakaways. That move doesn't score anywhere near 90%. Slightly over 50% maybe, but most of his scores come from getting passes in position, not breakaways. So no, his goal totals don't tell any part of the story of how he scores.

sickamore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:19 AM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
The other night in Toronto, he even cut Phaneuf off at the pass when he was going after Richards (or maybe it was Carcillo). You're telling me he has no heart or effort and is afraid if he's going to man up to Phaneuf to prevent him from going after a teammate?

Also, I haven't seen him give up on any plays lately. Watch him on the back check, he's almost always the first guy back.

I admit I'm a huge fan of his, and my lenses might be a tiny bit rosy, but you and I must not be watching the same games.
Well I'm watching the same game as you. It was Gagne and not Carcillo stopping Phaneuf. He's still a splendid player. Pucks are going in for him but sometimes his offensive decisions aren't the best.

He hasn't lost a step at all, his speed generates a ton of chances if he could just get his conversion rate up there, he'd be back where he belongs. Stop with the cut to the forehand and tuck play that always fails and lift the puck when he's in all alone. Every goalie in the league has that move figured out.

There's not a team in the league that wouldn't love to have him.

FlyerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:27 AM
PhilaFlyers

He looks somewhat like the Gagne of old lately.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 10:47 PM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickamore View Post
I'm a little taken aback with this post from you. Usually you are an island of sensible objectivity in a sea of emotional reaction in the moment. But I don't want you to take this as a slam on you, just a suggestion to maybe see if what you're saying is about Gagne himself or not.

It seems like you're judging him based on what kind of player you'd like to see over what kind of player he actually is. I think he's a great guy to have on any team. He's quiet, but effective. As far as salary is concerned there are more players NOT earning their oversized Holmgifts that I'd want out of here waaaay before him. In fact your last sentence pointed out player #1 that we could absolutely do without, contractually and otherwise.

My only two complaints about Gagne is that he's too tentative coming back from injury, and I really can't blame him for that since it can't be easy to put yourself right back into position to get hurt again, but it it does tend to last longer than most guys. The other is when he's going 1-on-1 with a goaltender he basically has one move, two if you count just a basic wrist shot. Otherwise I wouldn't move him just to have his spot filled with a possible cancer or a guy who just doesn't get it done and has high expectations to go along with his high paycheck that Holmgren didn't think through. Plus it would be Holmgren making the deal to move him and replace him and I have 0 confidence in that putz.
In re-reading my posts, I noticed that I didn't even really talk much about what was my biggest problem with the way Gagne was playing. I suppose that was because it was so obvious, but to be clear, my BIG problem with the way he was playing recently was NOT SHOOTING THE ****ING PUCK. There was a stretch there following the Olympic break up until 4 or 5 games ago where he was driving me absolutely nuts. Seriously, I felt like 4 out of 5 times I wanted him to shoot he would hold onto the puck or pass. And then, the 1 time I'd want him to pass he'd shoot.

It's when he's doing that kind of stuff that I start to get really frustrated and pick apart his game, and admittedly, judge him a bit unfairly. I realize there are some things I just need to accept, and I guess I just have a much easier time doing that when he is at least performing well in the areas I expect him to perform.

All that said, his attempted shots and shot selection lately have been making me a lot happier. I don't care if he shoots it ten feet high and wide...I just want him to at least be shooting when he should be ****ing shooting. And as he's been doing it lately, I am much happier with him.

Oh, and as for the Volchenkov incident, as stupidly as he may have handled it....my god, was it nice to see that kind of fire and emotion out of him. Good for him firing some punches in there...didn't think he had it in him. I mean, between all the shooting he's been doing and that fiery display of heart and emotion...gotta make you wonder whether he read my posts.

I agree that he has at times been too tentative coming back from injury, but I wouldn't say it's always been the case. I can recall a time or two in the past where he jumped right in and was immediately his old self. I definitely agree about his singular breakaway move. He barely ever even wrists it. Not only does he need another move or two, but he needs to mix in some more wristers.

And I agree that I'd sooner complain about other guys who aren't earning their paycheck before him. It only didn't come up because this thread isn't about them. If we are talking about them, Briere obviously has to come first in the discussion. I mean, it's not that Briere's contract is bad....it's that it's so bad that it makes me want to take my finger, stick it in my eye, past my eyeball, and then swirl it around in my brain. I like the guy, he seems really nice...but he needs to take at least a 50% paycut or hit the road. If there wasn't a salary cap, I might speak about him differently.

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 965
It's too bad that the team went into the tank when Gagne found his scoring touch

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:05 AM
nosnhoj

I really do hope he stays. He's one of the only guys that has stayed a Flyer his entire career to this point, and he's good. I think with his injury concerns and him saying he wants to retire here that he takes a pay cut and stays. One of my favorite players.

nosnhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 01:53 AM
tuckrr

my only problem with gagne is that he makes 5.25mil and has a NTC. hes more like a 4mil guy now, 3.5 if we are talking long contract.

as for briere and hartnell, well they are simply overpaid.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2010, 02:33 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Hopefully they sign him till he's 42 and get him for like 3.x a year

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote