HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorella wants to be Rangers dictator

Old
03-18-2010, 07:59 PM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
I will not argue with this point, clearly Torts runs quite a dictatorship and does not always work well. How could you disagree with Brooks when Torts all season switched lines, and benched guys who make minor mistakes.
Brooks has a personal vendetta against Torts. It's hard for him to step back and take an unbiased view of the situation.

However, now that Zipay and Gross are questioning Torts, I'd sooner take their opinions into consideration since they are not notorious for having a feud with Tortorella.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Oh please. A column on what? Don't be ridiculous. This is as much a column on hockey as my blog is a novel.
Some of you really think its ridiculous to say that Larry Brooks writes a column? Wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
People are not saying he can't call out the coach.... But the fact that every article he's writing now is a personal attack on Tortorella, it's childish and reflects very poorly on Brooks...

Also, which writers does Tortorella lash out at other than Brooks? Aside from not wanting to answer a few questions, I don't know any other writer that Tortorella has lashed out at other than Larry?
Sorry but that's not a fact. The only articles people are making a big deal out of are ones where he mentions anything possibly negative about Tortorella.

Regardless of how I feel about Brooks or about the coaching situation I don't like when any head coach calls out a Captain for what he says.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:27 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockify View Post

Sorry but that's not a fact. The only articles people are making a big deal out of are ones where he mentions anything possibly negative about Tortorella.
I don't think you're reading the articles nor their titles then. Did you really think blasting Tortorella for making the team travel together to local arenas was newsworthy of an entire column/article? How about his tear-jerking cancellation of the Father outing during a critical period of the season? And now a piece about him being the Rangers dictator despite Sather being the GM? Pleeeease....... If Tortorella sneezes by the locker room you'll probably see an article lambasting him for jeopardizing the players' health...

Quote:
Regardless of how I feel about Brooks or about the coaching situation I don't like when any head coach calls out a Captain for what he says.
So Captains are NEVER in the wrong or make misguided or poorly worded statements to the media? Sorry but a coach needs to step in and defend the rest of the players on his roster if he feels his Captain has wrongly characterized a situation with the team after a frustrating loss. It reflects even more poorly on the organization to have the Captain saying one thing and the coach characterizing it completely differently when he's interviewed.... What Drury said was vague and it was a poor choice of words as no one can decipher exactly what he meant or whom he was calling out but the very tone of it had negative connotations for all the younger players on the roster and that's not well deserved for some of them.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 03-18-2010 at 10:34 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:37 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Torts has lost the team.
Months ago.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:59 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Torts has lost the team.
This team, like many of its fans, has a short attention span. I have no clue what sort of coach could come in and "whatever-the-opposite-of-losing" the team and hold that attention and commitment throughout the season while losing or playing mediocre. We need some sort of spontaneous success that holds long enough to nurture a winning team culture. Renney did alright but the team would ultimately fall apart (and come together again) during the season.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:01 PM
BwayBshirt

Torts didn't have a team to lose.

And the record of the team has less to do with Torts' style than with the players themselves.

I hate it when Brooks writes these personal op-articles. 90-95% of them are garbage and to the extreme and this is no different.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:28 PM
OverTheCap

I read Brooks because he has insider access to the team and organization, but lately it seems like he's just spouting his own personal opinions.

Some of his articles seem like they could be lifted straight from these boards. Earlier this year, when Gilroy was sent down to Hartford, Brooks was outraged that the organization had the nerve to send him down and thought Rozsival should be waived instead. Talk about an overreaction.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:46 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
This team, like many of its fans, has a short attention span. I have no clue what sort of coach could come in and "whatever-the-opposite-of-losing" the team and hold that attention and commitment throughout the season while losing or playing mediocre. We need some sort of spontaneous success that holds long enough to nurture a winning team culture. Renney did alright but the team would ultimately fall apart (and come together again) during the season.
The whole culture needs to change.

From Sather on down.

No more roster turn overs, no more hired mercenaries.

Its time to commit deeper to the building process.

We have a good foundation of youth in place and in the prospect pool.

We need to add to it and rid our selves of cancers like Redden, Rozsival, and Drury.

We need new blood coach from the CHL or AHL ranks.

And we need new blood GM from the CHL or AHL ranks.

Could Tortorella do a good job with a better roster? Probably. But we aren't getting a better roster anytime soon.

What we need is a coach that knows how to develop youth properly.

We need a plan in place, an identity, and not waiver from a determined organizational philosophy.

This is all my personal opinion.

I could be wrong.

But I'm looking at the culture of the team and its terrible from upper management to the coaching staff, to player leadership, and its time for a change after this debacle of a season.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:46 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I read Brooks because he has insider access to the team and organization, but lately it seems like he's just spouting his own personal opinions.

Some of his articles seem like they could be lifted straight from these boards. Earlier this year, when Gilroy was sent down to Hartford, Brooks was outraged that the organization had the nerve to send him down and thought Rozsival should be waived instead. Talk about an overreaction.
It is the remake of "7-year drought" Brooks.

He did this back then because the team was so bad and unwatchable that all he had left was to dish out his thoughts.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
I agree with Brooks completely. Tortorella is too harsh and strong minded. What we need is a more easy going and quiet coach. That will get the Rangers to win. I bet a guy like Tom Renney would do th... oh wait, never mind. That failed too.

You have one coach who is quiet, inexperienced, and as defensive minded as they come. Then you switch him for a coach who is loud, experienced, and very offensive minded. Both have had little success. When you have two coaches who are polar opposites arriving at virtually identical results, then it's obvious that the problem isn't behind the bench.
This is perfect

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:27 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Torts has no self-control. At all.

The guy goes bananas on camera quite often. Interviews, playoff games, whatever. Can you imagine what a lunatic he must be behind closed doors? How can grown men respect a person that acts like a baboon?

As much as I dislike Brooks, he's absolutely right in his criticism. Yea, it would be nice if he focused more on the team, and less on Torts, but he isn't wrong here.

Still, I don't think now's the time to get rid of Torts. One season isn't enough time for a coach to make his stamp. There's too much baggage on this team for any coach to overcome.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:54 AM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I don't think you're reading the articles nor their titles then. Did you really think blasting Tortorella for making the team travel together to local arenas was newsworthy of an entire column/article? How about his tear-jerking cancellation of the Father outing during a critical period of the season? And now a piece about him being the Rangers dictator despite Sather being the GM? Pleeeease....... If Tortorella sneezes by the locker room you'll probably see an article lambasting him for jeopardizing the players' health...

So Captains are NEVER in the wrong or make misguided or poorly worded statements to the media? Sorry but a coach needs to step in and defend the rest of the players on his roster if he feels his Captain has wrongly characterized a situation with the team after a frustrating loss. It reflects even more poorly on the organization to have the Captain saying one thing and the coach characterizing it completely differently when he's interviewed.... What Drury said was vague and it was a poor choice of words as no one can decipher exactly what he meant or whom he was calling out but the very tone of it had negative connotations for all the younger players on the roster and that's not well deserved for some of them.
I don't think he is wrong. I don't think it was poorly worded or misguided. He knows the team alot better than you or me so who are we to say he is wrong? And I didn't say a coach could NEVER do anything I'm allowed not to like it. I also disagree with you on the second bolded part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
As much as I dislike Brooks, he's absolutely right in his criticism. Yea, it would be nice if he focused more on the team, and less on Torts, but he isn't wrong here.
Amazing how much saying something like this upsets some people.

Hockify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:01 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I would have been very interested to see what Renney would do with this team.

03-19-2010, 08:20 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I've said it before and I'll say it again: I would have been very interested to see what Renney would do with this team.
Add some semblance of defensive responsibility along with Gaborik, and I have no doubt that this would be a playoff team.

When Ryan Callahan is making a huge blunder like he did on the 4th goal last night, its pretty much time to pack it in.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger View Post
This is really like a pro wrestling feud.

I'm with RangerBoy.

Wrestlemania is coming up...make it happen McMahon!!
hahahah they should have them cut promos leading up to the event........................this Sunday on PPV Torts will feel the wrath of the Troll

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Larry Brooks is the darkspawn.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:06 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

If people could get over their hatred for Brooks, maybe they'd realize that hes touching on one of many serious problems with this team.

When Drury, talks of "immaturity" the head coach is the prime suspect.

Old
03-19-2010, 09:09 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
If people could get over their hatred for Brooks, maybe they'd realize that hes touching on one of many serious problems with this team.

When Drury, talks of "immaturity" the head coach is the prime suspect.
That's true. I think Tortorella was awful in that game vs. Montreal. In fact, I don't think he had 1 scoring opportunity.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:11 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:

The guy goes bananas on camera quite often. Interviews, playoff games, whatever. Can you imagine what a lunatic he must be behind closed doors? How can grown men respect a person that acts like a baboon?

Still, I don't think now's the time to get rid of Torts. One season isn't enough time for a coach to make his stamp. There's too much baggage on this team for any coach to overcome.
True, but I can't imagine watching another year of this crap...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mio41 View Post
True, but I can't imagine watching another year of this crap...
amen dude...amen.

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
That's true. I think Tortorella was awful in that game vs. Montreal. In fact, I don't think he had 1 scoring opportunity.
That would be a smart little joke 13 months ago, unfortunately you're a little late, and this is a different situation.

Old
03-19-2010, 10:02 AM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:

I'm pulling my hair out watching this team on TV, could you imagine what it's like seeing that train wreck close up?

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:08 AM
AXN

He cannot get them to win. That is the problem.

AXN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:18 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

The team is just miserably constructed and the general consensus was that they would finish 8th-12th in the East and that looks like exactly where they'll end up. A lot of one goal losses (I'd love to see how many regulation games this team has lost by a goal) and growing pains on the blue line, coupled with a few bad contracts = not Torts' fault. He's not a nominee for coach of the year by any means, but the guy has squat to work with.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:23 AM
Vito Andolini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
That would be a smart little joke 13 months ago, unfortunately you're a little late, and this is a different situation.
I guess i'm living in the past...speaking of which, I wonder what Tom Renney is up to? If only he could have been here to direct this poor misguided team to a couple of shootout wins, then we'd be sitting pretty.

Vito Andolini is offline   Reply With Quote