HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Offense (most overpaid overrated top six in league? )

Old
03-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Indy on the Road
Still near and dear

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best WorstPoster View Post
yes it is. he built the team around them. They have no one to play with. It's completely his fault.
Yes they do... themselves. These guys are playing like **** and it's not the rest of the team's fault. Star players get coddled too much. Start carrying this team like you are paid to do. The third and fourth lines are working hard and creating momentum as they should. The defense is making mistakes but their breakout hasn't been terrible. Goaltending... Elliott blew yesterday but it hasn't been bad recently.

If the Sens top guys capitalize on their chances early in a game, or even create chances at all, it will force the other team to play catch-up and that plays in to the Senators hands. Look at the wins during their hot streak... 2-0, 4-2, 5-1, 4-1, 3-2, 2-1, 3-0, 4-1, 3-2, 4-2, 3-1. The Sens did a great job of jumping on teams early and holding to win. They are a much better team when they score first and these so-called top guys need to be the ones to do it. The Sens scored first in all of those games except one, and the players to score the first goal? Campoli, Smith, Kovalev, Smith, Regin, Alfie, Kovalev, Kovalev, Michalek. All those guys have disappeared (one to the minors!) in the recent stretch.

Last edited by Indy on the Road: 03-19-2010 at 10:24 AM.
Indy on the Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:16 AM
SelleckStache

vCash: 50
I've come to join the stat complain-a-thon
2-7-1?!

SelleckStache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:27 AM
Blehst*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Worst Poster View Post
He's an idiot savant.
precisely I have no idea what I'm talking about. we have alfie leaving the system as soon as 2 years... we lose cullen, sutton this off season. and who knows what happens to volchenkov..

we have 1 pick in the top 60 this season. who in our forward prospect pool is a potential top liner?

we still don't know if cowen will live up to potential, or weircioch.

we wont and don't have a solid 1st goalie, say whatever you want about leclaire but it's not going to happen.

next year assuming we keep volchenkov, who do we have as forwards? spezza,alfie,foligno,kovalev,michalek,fisher...... streaky at best.

phillips is going downhill from here on in. we have seen glimpses of that all season long.

campoli hopefully gone by this season and maybe we can get back a second rounder.. in either case if we end up just out of the playoffs (we pretty much NEED 6 wins in our next 11 games to make the playoffs comfortably).

we still won't have that high of a pick in the draft which could mean a possible 3 years of development of the forward were going to draft ( pretty much obvious we need one). next season i see another 2007-2008 top ten pick again, pick another forward and add defensive depth in second round.

hopefully of lehner can still be a beast he can be brought up within the next 3-5 years?

when petersson and silvferberg are ready to go (2 seasons I'm assuming) they will fight kelly, winchester out of a spot.

this all puts us in a rebound area of 4 years. it's obvious that this team right now is probably the streakiest of all. at least edmonton knows they suck. but that's because they don't exactly have talent.

you'd think with the players we have we would have some sort of offensive ability but all year it's been all over the place we need a high caliber finisher and till then we will be in this exact position every year.

unless murray can pull off some amazing trades (which we all know he's not great at) then I don't see anything positive happening for the next couple years.

this was well thought of and not idiot worthy... maybe if you were a little more realistic you'd notice these things.

Blehst* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:29 AM
Blehst*

Quote:
Yes they do... themselves. These guys are playing like **** and it's not the rest of the team's fault. Star players get coddled too much. Start carrying this team like you are paid to do. The third and fourth lines are working hard and creating momentum as they should. The defense is making mistakes but their breakout hasn't been terrible. Goaltending... Elliott blew yesterday but it hasn't been bad recently.

If the Sens top guys capitalize on their chances early in a game, or even create chances at all, it will force the other team to play catch-up and that plays in to the Senators hands. Look at the wins during their hot streak... 2-0, 4-2, 5-1, 4-1, 3-2, 2-1, 3-0, 4-1, 3-2, 4-2, 3-1. The Sens did a great job of jumping on teams early and holding to win. They are a much better team when they score first and these so-called top guys need to be the ones to do it. The Sens scored first in all of those games except one, and the players to score the first goal? Campoli, Smith, Kovalev, Smith, Regin, Alfie, Kovalev, Kovalev, Michalek. All those guys have disappeared (one to the minors!) in the recent stretch.
3, 1 goal games. some of them had empty netters. take that into effect and 1/2 those games could of went either way.

Old
03-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Indy on the Road
Still near and dear

Quote:
Originally Posted by holybajesus View Post
3, 1 goal games. some of them had empty netters. take that into effect and 1/2 those games could of went either way.
They didn't go either way because the Sens scored first and had the lead for most of the game. They are very good at defending a lead, not very good at coming back. Like most teams.

.735 win% when they score first, .789 win% when leading after 1, .958 win% leading after 2. Top 10 in each category.

Start the game off strong and hold on. The Sens do amazingly well with that strategy. They just need to go back to it.

Last edited by Indy on the Road: 03-19-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old
03-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Blehst*

Quote:
They didn't go either way because the Sens scored first and had the lead for most of the game. They are very good at defending a lead, not very good at coming back. Like most teams.
still a 1 goal lead is not exactly what you'd call a dominant game. I'm being realistic here, we could of lost those games... look at the boston game earlier this year... we have had our problems defending the lead

Old
03-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Blehst*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniSens15 View Post
2 hatty's for Kovalev ftr.
read first post

Old
03-19-2010, 10:44 AM
Indy on the Road
Still near and dear

Quote:
still a 1 goal lead is not exactly what you'd call a dominant game. I'm being realistic here, we could of lost those games... look at the boston game earlier this year... we have had our problems defending the lead
The Sens rarely dominate games. They thrive in one goal games... which is very unlike the Sens of old, and one of the main reasons people were clamouring that this team is more playoff ready and other more high scoring itirations.

The Sens blew a 2 goal lead to lose in a shootout against Boston. Big deal, there aren't many examples of those types of games this season. They've blown plenty of 2 goal leads only to hold on and still win. Atlanta did it yesterday. You increase your chances of winning dramatically when you start strong.

If the Sens get scored on first tomorrow, you are better off not watching the rest of the game. If they can get one early, it'll be a good game. Not a sign of a good team, but if they just stopped shooting themselves in the foot early, they'd still win their fair share.

Old
03-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Blehst*

Quote:
The Sens rarely dominate games. They thrive in one goal games... which is very unlike the Sens of old, and one of the main reasons people were clamouring that this team is more playoff ready and other more high scoring itirations.

The Sens blew a 2 goal lead to lose in a shootout against Boston. Big deal, there aren't many examples of those types of games this season. They've blown plenty of 2 goal leads only to hold on and still win. Atlanta did it yesterday. You increase your chances of winning dramatically when you start strong.

If the Sens get scored on first tomorrow, you are better off not watching the rest of the game. If they can get one early, it'll be a good game. Not a sign of a good team, but if they just stopped shooting themselves in the foot early, they'd still win their fair share.
can't prevent shooting themselves in the foot... they simply do not have the finishing power to keep going. especially in the playoffs, things change. that's if we even make it. it's scary to think that a lot of our games that we were leading we blew the lead.

Old
03-19-2010, 10:58 AM
neutral zone trap13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
so the team's in a tailspin, why not go for the jugular right?

Is lame posts like this one that makes me sick as a fan. Yes it's crap when your teams playing like a bunch of timbits, but reflect on the fact that we're in a playoff spot, and have plenty of talent.

as for teams with worse top 6, easy, take your pick, any team out of the playoffs... Tampa, Edmonton, Carolina, Florida, Columbus, Ducks, Dallas, Wild, etc......
Tampa actually has a good top-6 (IMO) with Lecavalier,Stamkos,St.Louis and Malone

neutral zone trap13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:11 AM
wilfred

Goaltending, Defence and Forwards. I would like us to solve one problem at a time. We don't need a complete rebuild, just a little leadership, confidence and a few key players.

I think that we have some potential in goaltenting so I would start with the defence

I think that we need a number 1 dman and we have to overpay to get one. I would love to keep anton but we can't overpay for him. I would be happy with
Phillips/????
Karlson/Sutton I like this pairing and would be happy with it until Cowen is ready
Cartner/Campolie
Lee/ weir

Who is the ???? Someone like Weber (I know it would take alot)
I would trade Fisher++ or even Spezza+

Start with the defense and then take a look at our forwards.

wilfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Blehst*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilfred View Post
Goaltending, Defence and Forwards. I would like us to solve one problem at a time. We don't need a complete rebuild, just a little leadership, confidence and a few key players.

I think that we have some potential in goaltenting so I would start with the defence

I think that we need a number 1 dman and we have to overpay to get one. I would love to keep anton but we can't overpay for him. I would be happy with
Phillips/????
Karlson/Sutton I like this pairing and would be happy with it until Cowen is ready
Cartner/Campolie
Lee/ weir

Who is the ???? Someone like Weber (I know it would take alot)
I would trade Fisher++ or even Spezza+

Start with the defense and then take a look at our forwards.
goalie first.. when was the last time we had a star goalie that was consistent? we need one and we need one bad. we have our defense sorted... which would explain our last 2 drafts have been mainly defensive. once our goalie situation is fixed were good to go. we should have gotten anderson

Old
03-19-2010, 11:19 AM
Alfredsson11

No.

I consider them to be underated actually, they are just underperforming

Alfredsson11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:21 AM
Blehst*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfredsson11 View Post
No.

I consider them to be underated actually, they are just underperforming
we've been close to .500 all season long. guess you can say we are an under performing average team which makes us a ****** team

Old
03-19-2010, 12:27 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
were in for a rough 4 years my friends.... that's how long it's going to take to come back..
NO i do not think were in for a rough 4 years after next they free up a massive amount of cap space.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Blehst*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
NO i do not think were in for a rough 4 years after next they free up a massive amount of cap space.
that depends who we resign. who we pick up in the offseason. and entry level contracts..

Old
03-19-2010, 12:50 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
BM had tons of money since he's been here but has used it on Fisher (4.2), Leclaire (3.7), Kovalev (5.0), Kuba (3.7), etc

Forgive me if the thought of cap space does not excite me under this regime

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:53 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

So its the players who are praised when the team wins 11 straight, but when we go into a losing streak its Murrays fault and not the players.
I hope some of you strap on helmets before you venture outside.

edit: Ryan Kesler 5 million per year. Ill take Fishers contract baby.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Blehst*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
BM had tons of money since he's been here but has used it on Fisher (4.2), Leclaire (3.7), Kovalev (5.0), Kuba (3.7), etc

Forgive if the thought of cap space does not excite me under this regime
don't forget he will probably end up trading or letting volchenkov go for nothing.. then resign a defensman overpriced. that will under perform here then get criticized. it's like this guy can't do anything right on the trading front.

Old
03-19-2010, 12:56 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

I cant wait to make a "Murray is a genius" thread and "Congrats to Murray for us making the playoffs" thread later on this year when we start winning again.

Old
03-19-2010, 12:56 PM
The Fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
edit: Ryan Kesler 5 million per year. Ill take Fishers contract baby.
Your crazy

The Fuhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:57 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Your crazy
Fisher producing the same amount of goals as Kesler.

Old
03-19-2010, 12:58 PM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:

Forgive me if the thought of cap space does not excite me under this regime
No he has not had alot of cap space all at one july 1st 2011 he will have $26 million in cap space.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:59 PM
TheWeb

Quote:

Forgive if the thought of cap space does not excite me under this regime
Cap space will never be a big asset in hockey mad Canadian cities.

GMs will always go for quick fix options in the summer (UFAs or big ticket trades) so that each team appears to be a playoff contender when training camp opens. These options are usually mediocre, cap wise. By opening day of the season, the free cap space is gone.

Best time to use cap space is during the season, when struggling teams are looking to trade expensive or even moderately priced players for very little.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:03 PM
TheWeb

Quote:
No he has not had alot of cap space all at one july 1st 2011 he will have $26 million in cap space.
Betcha he won't.

Sometime between now and then contracts will be signed, players will be added that significantly eat in to that space.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote