HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tortorella wants to be Rangers dictator

Old
03-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito Andolini View Post
I guess i'm living in the past...speaking of which, I wonder what Tom Renney is up to? If only he could have been here to direct this poor misguided team to a couple of shootout wins, then we'd be sitting pretty.
That would certainly be the difference between the playoffs right now.

But yes, its certainly much more "exciting" losing (a lot) of games in regulation.

Safe is death, afterall.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:37 AM
Reijo R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSantos View Post
Panfork: C depth includes Jokinen, Anisimov, Boyle and Dubinsky. And Avery plays wing.
Good correction. Unfortunately, you strengthen his point. Jokinen and Anisimov are invisible game in and game out, and Boyle is a 4th line center. I'm a Dubi guy, but the dude is a 3rd liner at this point of his career. Torts is an ass, but he has little to work with.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:37 AM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Torts reminds me of Bill Parcells:

yell yell yell

lose the team

move on to another team

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:52 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post

yell yell yell

lose the team

move on to another team
Parcells left every organization in a better position than when he found it. Hope Im wrong, but I doubt we'll be saying the same about Torts when he leaves here.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:56 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

yell yell yell

lose the team

move on to another team
Parcells was successful everywhere he went. And he has two Super Bowls.

GAGLine

Quote:

yell yell yell

lose the team

move on to another team
What team did Parcells ever lose? He left every team on his own terms. His problem is that he wouldn't stay with a team for more than 3 years before retiring, only to get the itch to coach again somewhere else. Not once did his players ever stop playing for him.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
SkerZ
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
Brooks has officially gone from Ranger's beat writer, to Tortorella beat writer.

9 out of 10 of his articles these days is taking another stupid shot at Tortorella for some stupid reason or another.

Our center depth is Prospal, a pretty good player on his way out of his career, Drury, a good player but one who has absolutely no offensive talent left in him, Avery, good player with consistency issues (like the entire team) who doesn't have enough offensive talent to ever crack 40 points, and Christensen, a waiver pick-up who shows some promise, but remember he's 26 and will probably never be more than a 3rd liner.

As sad a story as our C depth is, our LW depth proves even worse.
I think Brooks needs to take a look at the roster and stop attacking Tortorella like he's driving the Washington Capitals into last place.

This is the New York Rangers. They're a mediocre team, in a mediocre spot in the standings. It's not much of a shocker.

Go back to the Bus Stop, Brooks.
Perfectly put

SkerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:13 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
All of the young player are having pretty good seasons and imo have responded well to him. Dubinsky, Callahan, Avery, Christensen, Del Zotto, Staal, etc... are all playing as good or better than they have played in previous seasons (with the exception of Del Zotto because he's a rookie). I don't think these players would have fared any better under another coach.
I don't see how you could possibly think Avery is having as good or a better year than he has had in the past. Avery has been nearly invisible for all but a handful of games this year and Torts' handling (or should that be mis-handling) of him has been a major factor.

Players like Dubi and Callahan were expected to take a step up in development and I've been dissapointed on that front. There was a substantial stretch of the season where Callahan was not playing well and I haven't seen much development in Dubi's game. I don't necessarily pin that on Torts but I can't give him credit for their seasons either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
The problem is depth and veterans not playing up to expectations and/or are over the hill (Redden, Drury and Rozsival making up the big three that are holding us back). You can blame Tortorella for not lighting a fire under the butts of these guys, but you also have to take into consideration that they're all over 30 and on the decline.
The one player I'll disagree with you on is Drury. I didn't want him here - especially on the contract he got - but here's a guy who had double-digit PP goals the two prior years and had been a big time scoring contributor for the Rangers and Torts starts the year out by telling the press, Drury's no longer a top 6 forward, so he's not going to be on the PP. Brilliant stuff, especially when he picks underachievers like Higgins and Kotalik to pick up the scoring slack.

When I look at Torts, I see a guy who has done some questionable things and he probably cost this team a few points in the standings (his lineup choices and his handling of Lundqvist are two things that were peculiar at times this season). If they fail to make the PO's, I think he has to share in the blame. I'm not about to put it all on him though and call for his head but he'd better have the team rolling at the start of next season. If not, I'd move him out the door by the 20 game mark.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:33 AM
SML

I'm really shocked how many guys are anti-Brooks and pro-Tortorella. I agree with Brooks 100%. Tortorella contributes what, exactly? He was brought in to fix all the problems that the weak, player friendly Renney supposedly couldn't sollve. How's that working out? What we have is a brooding, moody, schizophrenic Keenan-esque personality that throws his players under the bus in the media when there's blame to be dished out, but simply refuses to answer questions that point to HIM being part of the problem, or he turns it into a complete circus like the Larry Brooks incident so that nobody's talking about how Tortorella couldn't coach his way out of a pee-wee tournament. He has turned this group into a bunch that are so afraid of running afoul of him that they acheive nothing. The guy is the second coming of Keenan and the Rangers won their cup in SPITE of Keenan, not because of him. I think the Lightning were talented enough at the time that they would have won regardless. But what does Tortorella contribute? Watch the bench when we're down a goal at the end of a game. This shouldn't be hard to do, because it happens every game. But Mike Sullivan is the one addressing the players, not Tortorella. He's busy looking at the clock, pouting, or staring at the Ref. When Sullivan gets done, Tortorella barks something at them, and the players go out and usually fail. Larry Brooks is the only person in the media talking about what the problems really are. Tortorella is a huge one. I like how Sam and Joe were just silent last night when the "Fire Sather" chants were LOUD towards the end of the game. Of course their hands are tied because Sather can fire them, but being quiet was about the only way to let that message get through so the fans at home could hear.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:55 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

You can't fix being out-talented by nearly every team you play. This team has no #1 or, arguably #2, center, no LW's to speak of, no PP presence on the blue line beyond a 19 year old rookie. This team just cannot compete and now that everyone has raised their level to battle for playoff spots, we can't match it.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:57 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Some one needs to dictate their boot in his behind and get him out of here.

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

Oh man, I love this Larry Brooks vs. Tortorella.
Torts is awesome btw.

Twisted Tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:42 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruins77 View Post
Oh man, I love this Larry Brooks vs. Tortorella.
Torts is awesome btw.
If Torts was coaching the team chasing me for a playoff spot, I'd think he was awesome too.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:49 PM
Larry Melnyk

This team has driven me underground here, lest I get in too many arguements!

But it's a petty, personal and assinine fued between Brooks and Torts.....Still, I side with Brooks...

I couldn't stand Tortorella's philosphy and his Commander McBragg attitude from the beginning..With the hole-ridden and incomplete roster he and Sather compiled (yes, mostly Sather's fault but Torts had alot of input), he had failure written all over him....

Yes, as many have said, this team at the onset of the season lacked talent and to me looked like a Bottom 10 team..And it's hard to get blood from a stone....

Hard, but not impossible....Many good coaches have succeeded with lack of talent by forstering hard working, consistent and responsible team play..Tortoella hasn't even come close...

And what makes things even worse is that the youngsters are either reegressing, playing horrible or both...And that includes Cally, Girardi, Anisimov, Gilroy and especially Del Zotto (who's horrendous defense needs a break)...And now it looks like you have Tortorella starting to throw guys under the bus a little....Maybe OK if you have been doing it from the start, but not with 10 games left...Smacks of CYA....Just a flatout pitiful team from top to bottom...

Sorry...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
He wouldn't answer the question lastnight about why the 5 on 3 didn't get any chances. It was a reasonable question, "what else would you liked to have seen on there."

Torts: "I'm not gonna talk about that with you."

WTF

Who should they ask the equipment manager?

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
He wouldn't answer the question lastnight about why the 5 on 3 didn't get any chances. It was a reasonable question, "what else would you liked to have seen on there."

Torts: "I'm not gonna talk about that with you."

WTF

Who should they ask the equipment manager?
It's a stupid common sense question.

What would you like to see on a 5 on 3? Any one of us could answer that. More shots, better puck movement and more importantly a goal. That needed to be asked?

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:54 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
It's a stupid common sense question.

What would you like to see on a 5 on 3? Any one of us could answer that. More shots, better puck movement and more importantly a goal. That needed to be asked?
That needs to be not answered?

Old
03-19-2010, 01:58 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
That needs to be not answered?
If it's a stupid common sense question as Jumbo said, then no.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 02:05 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
If it's a stupid common sense question as Jumbo said, then no.
Its not his place to decide what's a stupid common sense question. Just give them a stupid common sense answer.

Old
03-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Heat McManus

Larry.....Let it go...

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 05:59 PM
Fletch

I'm a little bit split on his lack of answers in press conferences. Part of me say, why even do a press conference? You lose a game, you go into the locker room, you rip arpart your team, you tell them what you did wrong and then work on it in practice. Not sure how answering the questions from reporters is all that necessary as it is mostly an issue between him, his coaches and his players.

On the other hand, we need information. We pay for that information which translates into pay for the team, coaches, etc., and thus perhaps that's a reason for us to receive the information.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:00 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Parcells was successful everywhere he went. And he has two Super Bowls.
And Tortorella has coached a total of one team outside the Rangers and was successful there.

I'm hardly all for Tortorella, but the crap against him is completely unnecessary. The guy has had one whole season to coach this team. Be a little more patient.

Could Tortorella be more open with the press? Sure. But at the same time, he's not being paid to talk to Larry Brooks. That's the least of my concerns. He hasn't done a fantastic job with this year's team by any means, but here's the point. Is there any coach out there that you think would have gotten this team anywhere? If you think the answer to that is "yes" then you're completely delusional.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:19 PM
HoosierDaddy

Boo Hoo. Poor whittle Torturella

That's what you get for getting personal and disrespecting someone with a "pen" and a large following. Torturella brow beats his players and most of the press, who are too afraid to ask tough questions. Brooks is the only one with the onions to call Torturella out, and Torturella wants to emasculate Brooks with Bus stop quips. Guess what Torture, you can't win that pissing contest. Brooks will beat you like a red haired step child every day, like he's doing with his string of micro-dissection of every move, non-move, missed-move, and bowel movement Torturella makes.

Take on someone with a pen at your own risk. The end-results couldn't happen to a bigger bully-punk than Torturella.

HoosierDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierDaddy View Post
That's what you get for getting personal and disrespecting someone with a "pen" and a large following. Torturella brow beats his players and most of the press, who are too afraid to ask tough questions. Brooks is the only one with the onions to call Torturella out, and Torturella wants to emasculate Brooks with Bus stop quips. Guess what Torture, you can't win that pissing contest. Brooks will beat you like a red haired step child every day, like he's doing with his string of micro-dissection of every move, non-move, missed-move, and bowel movement Torturella makes.

Take on someone with a pen at your own risk. The end-results couldn't happen to a bigger bully-punk than Torturella.
No that's what you get when you have an child writing for a newspaper.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:31 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
No that's what you get when you have an child writing for a newspaper.
No, that's what you get when you have a bunch of people who like to read this crap. I hate Brooks, but at the same time, I don't blame him for writing a lot of what he does. If people are that ignorant and unintellectual that they enjoy the garbage that he spews then more power to him.

That said, I don't see where Tortorella is crying about Brooks criticizing him. To be honest, I don't think he could care less.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote