HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dan Blackburn

Old
03-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Brunomics

vCash: 500
Dan Blackburn

Let me just say back when the Rangers drafted Blackburn I was a really big fan of his and really thought that he was going to turn into what Hank is for you guys right now.

That being said last night I was watching the game and during the intermission I saw that he was playing in some sort of alumni game using two blockers. I know he hurt his shoulder and that's why he retired but what exactly happened to him. It was so depressing seeing him out there basically playing goal with one arm and seeing a couple go in because he could really move his arm, but if anyone could fill me in about him I'd really appreciate it.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:03 AM
I Pee Blue

nerve damage from lifting took away his ability to use a catching glove

I Pee Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:06 AM
Stepan Razor

He suffered nerve damage in the summer of 2003...nobody really knows exactly how it happened but many have said that it occurred in a weight lifting accident. He tried to make a comeback and couldn't close the glove hand hard enough to keep pucks inside the webbing, so he went to two blockers. It's a shame because that kid was really talented.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:40 AM
SML

I may be in the minority here, but I firmly believe that, even had Danny Blackburn never gotten injured, he would not be a Ranger now anyway. The Rangers absolutely were on the path to destroying that kid. He was a high draft pick and he was a good goalie, as an 18 year old playing junior hockey. Not as good in the best league in the world. I think Blackburn's lateral movement was perhaps some of the worst I'd ever seen. He would go from post to post in sort of a lunge, where he was falling forward as he did it. It normally would leave him flat on his face and terribly out of position should there be a rebound and a second shot which there usually was. He had no business being on the Rangers roster at that age. He should have been returned to juniors, gone to the world junior championships, and won a gold medal. Then sent to Hartford with full confidence that he was at the top of his game instead of getting hung out to dry by a disinterested, lazy defensive team. Instead, a desperate Rangers franchise looking to hang their hat on a smoke and mirrors "youth movement" forced him in way before he should have been. Oh, and they came up with this gem and didn't have the foresight to even hire a goalie coach. So you stick an 18 year old on a team full of grown men and you don't even have anyone around to help the kid with his game? Miserable mismanagement of a key asset. If they'd had a goalie coach, you could make the case that Blackburn possibly isn't even following a routine that would get him hurt the way it did. Even had he not gotten hurt, I truly believe he would have crashed and burned a long time ago.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:48 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Isn't it strange that both Blackburn and DP were the young prize goalies for both NY teams and BOTH (well it seems that way from DP's injuries) will have their careers cut short due to injuries.

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:05 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

i dont think it was that he couldn't close the glove. im pretty sure that he couldn't lift/turn his arm in that position from the nerve damage. if it was just that he couldn't CLOSE the glove he would have been MUCH better off still playing normally than switching to two blockers. my understanding is he could only hold his arm in a blocker like position than raising it above his shoulders.

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:16 AM
alkurtz

And, there's the idea that concern over his future led us to draft Montoya; a wasted pick.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:41 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringUpBobby View Post
He suffered nerve damage in the summer of 2003...nobody really knows exactly how it happened but many have said that it occurred in a weight lifting accident. He tried to make a comeback and couldn't close the glove hand hard enough to keep pucks inside the webbing, so he went to two blockers. It's a shame because that kid was really talented.
Even more sad is that it obviously effects his everyday life, too...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:49 AM
SML

Let's not make it out like he got hit by a roadside bomb. He's not crippled, he's just not able to play a position that relies on reflex at the highest competetive level in the world. I'm sure there's alot of young vets coming back from overseas who would trade their present conditions for Blackburn's any day of the week.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:56 AM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
I may be in the minority here, but I firmly believe that, even had Danny Blackburn never gotten injured, he would not be a Ranger now anyway. The Rangers absolutely were on the path to destroying that kid. He was a high draft pick and he was a good goalie, as an 18 year old playing junior hockey. Not as good in the best league in the world. I think Blackburn's lateral movement was perhaps some of the worst I'd ever seen. He would go from post to post in sort of a lunge, where he was falling forward as he did it. It normally would leave him flat on his face and terribly out of position should there be a rebound and a second shot which there usually was. He had no business being on the Rangers roster at that age. He should have been returned to juniors, gone to the world junior championships, and won a gold medal. Then sent to Hartford with full confidence that he was at the top of his game instead of getting hung out to dry by a disinterested, lazy defensive team. Instead, a desperate Rangers franchise looking to hang their hat on a smoke and mirrors "youth movement" forced him in way before he should have been. Oh, and they came up with this gem and didn't have the foresight to even hire a goalie coach. So you stick an 18 year old on a team full of grown men and you don't even have anyone around to help the kid with his game? Miserable mismanagement of a key asset. If they'd had a goalie coach, you could make the case that Blackburn possibly isn't even following a routine that would get him hurt the way it did. Even had he not gotten hurt, I truly believe he would have crashed and burned a long time ago.
Also, in Danny's last season, after Mike Richter got hurt and before Mike Dunham was acquired, he was forced to play something like 20+ games IN A ROW. As a 19 year old. The kid looked overwhelmed at times. Who the hell does this to a goaltender? Not Lundqvist and not even iron man Brodeur can play that many games without a break. Wasn't he injured during the season and aggraved the injury in the offseason? Perhaps, playing that many games in a row might have contributed to the injury.

The kid won 20 games before he even turned 20. Sigh.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Mio41
Ron Harris #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
Let's not make it out like he got hit by a roadside bomb. He's not crippled, he's just not able to play a position that relies on reflex at the highest competetive level in the world. I'm sure there's alot of young vets coming back from overseas who would trade their present conditions for Blackburn's any day of the week.
Understand, I'm not trying to make him out to be a martyr, but his has to affect his everyday life if he can't turn his arm a certain way...

Mio41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:11 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Maybe if he hadn't been brought up way too early to play with a **** team, he wouldn't have gotten hurt. Freak accident or not, he was totally mishandled and mismanaged.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:04 PM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Maybe if he hadn't been brought up way too early to play with a **** team, he wouldn't have gotten hurt. Freak accident or not, he was totally mishandled and mismanaged.
Why should the Rngers not have mishandled him, they mishandled every other prospect what makes him so special.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:16 PM
The Mouth

i interviewed Dan Blackburn on the Radio show. he is doing fine, he can do everything just like any other able bodied person except to lift
his glove hand when playing hockey.

He works for a goaltending school that deals with prospects and professionals and I think he mentioned Carey Price as one of the guys he has worked with.

His injury happened lifting weights.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:20 PM
ogie

take this as a warning ...don't work out

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote