HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Kesler Re-Signs 6-Year, $30M Deal ($5M CAP HIT, NTC after second year)

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2010, 12:48 PM
monster_bertuzzi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
I think what happened was they made him lose some of his body fat, but instead of replacing it with more muscle they didn't replace it with anything?
Bernier wasnt a fatty though thats the thing. The guy was built like a brick house at 225-230, which some chub sure but not fat. They wanted him to get quicker and thought that would help his game, wrongo. I liked Bernier last year and thought he was huge in the first round against the Blues.

Old
03-19-2010, 12:48 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by awilde View Post

What do you think?....I like it
I think some of those numbers are incorrect

03-19-2010, 12:49 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Bernier wasnt a fatty though thats the thing. The guy was built like a brick house at 225-230, which some chub sure but not fat. They wanted him to get quicker and thought that would help his game, wrongo. I liked Bernier last year and thought he was huge in the first round against the Blues.
Hmm...well then chalk this one up to a complete blunder on the part of the Canucks/Gillis.

Old
xtr3m

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
It's not a home run deal, but it's still a decent discount.
Kesler has been a PPG player for the past 100 games.

Old
*Injektilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandlak View Post
Linden was known for his leadership, just like Kesler.
Is Kesler that known for his leadership?

He's an outspoken character, but I wouldn't confuse that with leadership in the same vein as Linden. I don't recall Linden ever saying the kind of stuff that Kesler has been quoted in the press. Personality-wise, there's a world of difference.

A big reason why Linden is so beloved in Vancouver was for his role in the community. Through-out his time here, it was apparent that Linden loved the franchise and the city of Vancouver, and that he was a Canucks through and through. I've never gotten any of that impression from Kesler. In that regards, there's a big difference between the two.

Old
03-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
It also means there won't be many big name improvement if this team can't get the job done, but given their play there's no reason to suspect that.

I was one of Bernier's biggest supporters going into this season...but he's not even hitting anymore. His play is leaving much to be desired.
If by big name improvement you mean making a blockbuster trade to acquire, say, a stud D-Man...then yes, I agree. Not without giving up some salary/assets, anyway. That said, blockbuster trades are difficult to make. I've been saying this a lot lately, but I think Gillis has the right idea of building through the draft and grooming players along for big roles. We finally have a decent prospect cupboard with Schneider, Grabner, Hodgson and Schroeder, with others like Connauton, Rodin and Andersson looking solid. IMO we just need a bluechip defensive prospect(RIP Luc, man would he have been perfect....) and we'd be pretty much set in every conceivable way.

Old
VanEric

Quote:
It also means there won't be many big name improvement if this team can't get the job done, but given their play there's no reason to suspect that.
Up front that's the case but Kesler's not really the guy you would want to move anyway. We're locked into the Sedins so nothing has really changed with the Kesler extension.

The blue line is really where major changes can be made in the upcoming years. Outside of Edler and Ehrhoff, nobody is really locked in and none of the other guys deserve to be.

Old
YogiCanucks

OKay... to all those who want to trade Raymond... that's a silly move right now. His value hasn't peaked yet. As Canuck fans we can see he's playing very well but other GMs are going to want some consistancy before they're willing to pay up the big bucks

If Raymond gets to 30 goals next season THEN we can consider trading him (but I'm guess then we'll get a lot of "ZOMG! RAYMONDZ IZ SOOOOOO GOODZ. TEH GILLIZ WOULD BE STUPID TO TRAYD HYM!!!!1!1")

Old
03-19-2010, 12:51 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Bernier = team toughness

This guy needs a boost.

Old
03-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Haha... what? Bernier was definitely out of shape, he was NOT built like a brick. How do you come up with these gems?

(Not to mention that he went down to 215 or so [rather than 200], at least that's what he said in pre-season interview.)

Old
03-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

After next season is where things get dicey for our blueline. Salo, Ehrhoff and Bieksa's contracts are all up in 2011. (Alberts too, but meh). Edler is the only defensemen signed for the long term after that, his contract expires in 2013.

Old
03-19-2010, 12:52 PM
towelie power

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
NHL Scoring:

15. Zach Parise: 70 points -- $3.12 million
16. Alexander Semin: 70 points -- $6 mllion (next season)
17. Mile Green: 70 points -- $5.25 million
18. Paul Stastny: 70 points -- $6.6 million
19. Evgeni Malkin: 69 points -- $8.7 million
20. Daniel Sedin: 66 points -- $6.1 million
21. Ryan Kesler: 66 points -- $5 million (next season)
22. Ryan Getzlaf: 66 points -- $5.3 million
23. Corey Perry: 65 points -- $5.3 million
24. Tomas Plekanec: 65 points -- $4-6 million (next season)
25. Jarome Iginla: 64 points -- $7 million
26. Mikko Koivu: 63 points -- $3.25 million
27. Duncan Keith: 63 points -- $5.5 million
28. Vincent Lecavalier: 62 points -- $7.7 million
29. Tim Connolly: 62 points -- $4.5 million
30. Loui Eriksson: 61 points -- $4.2 million (next season)

It's not a home run deal, but it's still a decent discount.
Kesler is a premier 2-way forward.. it's hardly all about his point totals, which are nothing to sneeze at

Old
03-19-2010, 12:53 PM
awilde

Quote:
I think some of those numbers are incorrect
Who? care to expand?

Old
Matty

Quote:
I think Steve Bernier gets moved before Raymond, TBH.
The only thing there is that Bernier won't bring anything of value back in a trade. Only way I'd deal Raymond, is if the Canucks could get a very promising young defenseman coming our way. Bernier would be more of a salary dump...which may happen but it should be kept in mind that Bernier played much of the year hurt.

Old
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Kesler has been a PPG player for the past 100 games.
This needs to be highlited. He's established himself as a PPG player when in a top 6 role - and with Selke qualities? Those players simply just dont come around often.

Old
dmacgreg37

This makes Ehrhoff the most important contract to be working on (and they can't start till July 1st a year before can they?)

I understand there's still Raymond and Wellwood. I think Wellwood is gone, and I think that Raymond stays for about 2.5M. That takes Demitra and Wellwood's money to up Raymond and Kesler's salary. Luongo's cap goes down after this year. I'm not sure where there's any reason to worry about our cap situation. We lose Demitra and Wellwood, but hopefully Grabner/Hodgson can fit those spots. I mean, we were leading the division without Demitra for most of the entire season.

Old
03-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Horvat2Virtanen
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Brown View Post
You're not thinking logically.

Raymond is an RFA, probably going to look for 2+ million. Canucks honestly can't really afford that, unless they do some major tinkering.

The Canucks also desperately need a young dman in their system, Franson is an '87 birthday, big, strong, great shot and a fantastic skater for his size.

I think a Raymond for Franson deal would benefit both teams.
Actually I am thinking logically why do the Canucks trade a 20+ goal scorer who isn't in his prime yet?From a previous poster.

[QUOTE]
FORWARDS

Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
* Mason Raymond ($2.250m) / * Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)/ Michael Grabner ($0.843m)
Steve Bernier ($2.000m) / Cody Hodgson ($1.696m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($2.500m) /
Darcy Hordichuk ($0.775m) / Rick Rypien ($0.550m) / * Jannik Hansen ($0.700m)
* 13th forward ($0.540m)

DEFENSEMEN

* Hamhuis ($4.200m) / Kevin Bieksa ($3.750m)
Sami Salo ($3.500m) / Alexander Edler ($3.250m)
Christian Ehrhoff ($3.100m) / * Shane O'Brien ($1.200m)
Andrew Alberts ($1.050m)

GOALTENDERS

Roberto Luongo ($5.333m) / * Backup Goalie ($0.600m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 22; PAYROLL: $57.037m; CAP ROOM: $0.613m BONUSES: $0.850m/QUOTE]

The Canucks can still maintain Raymond while being able to bring in a top paring defenceman,the Canucks aren't in cap trouble.

Old
03-19-2010, 12:56 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
If by big name improvement you mean making a blockbuster trade to acquire, say, a stud D-Man...then yes, I agree. Not without giving up some salary/assets, anyway. That said, blockbuster trades are difficult to make. I've been saying this a lot lately, but I think Gillis has the right idea of building through the draft and grooming players along for big roles. We finally have a decent prospect cupboard with Schneider, Grabner, Hodgson and Schroeder, with others like Connauton, Rodin and Andersson looking solid. IMO we just need a bluechip defensive prospect(RIP Luc, man would he have been perfect....) and we'd be pretty much set in every conceivable way.
Well not necessarily a blockbuster trade, but even a UFA or RFA signing of a stud D-Man.

I'm starting to worry about our defense in the next couple of years. If we can sign a guy like Hamhuis this off-season for around the $4M range, then it'll go a long ways to solidifying our back end; however, if we're unable to, when guys like Salo, Bieksa and Ehrhoff have their contracts expire and are due raises, we could be in trouble. I just don't see K-Conn, Oberg or Andersson ready to step into our top 4 within the next 3-4 years.

Old
03-19-2010, 12:56 PM
StrictlyCommercial

Great signing. Here's the top 30 centers in the league. Clearly Kesler at #12 is a #1 center in the NHL, good deal.

Henrik Sedin VAN 71 28 66 94
Sidney Crosby PIT 70 45 42 87
Nicklas BackstromWSH 71 29 58 87
Steven Stamkos TB 70 42 40 82
Joe Thornton SJ 70 18 63 81
Brad Richards DAL 68 19 58 77
Patrick Marleau SJ 70 41 32 73
Anze Kopitar LA 69 32 39 71
Paul Stastny COL 70 17 53 70
Evgeni Malkin PIT 62 23 46 69
Ryan Getzlaf ANA 62 18 48 66
Ryan Kesler VAN 71 21 45 66
Tomas Plekanec MTL 71 21 44 65
Mikko Koivu MIN 70 19 44 63
Vincent LecavalierTB 70 21 41 62
Tim Connolly BUF 69 15 47 62
Nik Antropov ATL 66 21 40 61
Jeff Carter PHI 70 33 27 60
Travis Zajac NJ 70 21 38 59
Pavel Datsyuk DET 67 22 36 58
Jonathan Toews CHI 64 22 36 58
Mike Richards PHI 70 27 30 57
Eric Staal CAR 58 22 34 56
Antoine VermetteCLB 70 22 33 55
Derek Roy BUF 67 19 34 53
Stephen Weiss FLA 67 24 28 52
Scott Gomez MTL 67 12 39 51
Matt Stajan CGY 70 19 31 50
Rich Peverley ATL 70 19 31 50
Phil Kessel TOR 59 27 23 50

Old
03-19-2010, 12:58 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacgreg37 View Post
This makes Ehrhoff the most important contract to be working on (and they can't start till July 1st a year before can they?)

I understand there's still Raymond and Wellwood. I think Wellwood is gone, and I think that Raymond stays for about 2.5M. That takes Demitra and Wellwood's money to up Raymond and Kesler's salary. Luongo's cap goes down after this year. I'm not sure where there's any reason to worry about our cap situation. We lose Demitra and Wellwood, but hopefully Grabner/Hodgson can fit those spots. I mean, we were leading the division without Demitra for most of the entire season.
Yes; you cannot work on contract extensions with players until the 1st of July the year before their contract expires. One would argue that Gillis might start focussing on Raymond right at the moment and maybe try and talk Mitchell into sticking around before July 1st though.

Old
03-19-2010, 12:58 PM
The Overseer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Injektilo View Post
Is Kesler that known for his leadership?
Yes. That's why he was given an A at 24 years old, on a veteran team.
Quote:
He's an outspoken character, but I wouldn't confuse that with leadership in the same vein as Linden. I don't recall Linden ever saying the kind of stuff that Kesler has been quoted in the press. Personality-wise, there's a world of difference.

A big reason why Linden is so beloved in Vancouver was for his role in the community. Through-out his time here, it was apparent that Linden loved the franchise and the city of Vancouver, and that he was a Canucks through and through. I've never gotten any of that impression from Kesler. In that regards, there's a big difference between the two.
Linden was so vanilla, so boring. It was like he was preparing to run for office. That's not what I want from a hockey player. I want a guy with a personality and who shows his emotions a bit, like Kesler.

Regardless, how Linden was perceived in the community has absolutely no bearing on which one of them was a better hockey player.

It's Kesler.

Old
03-19-2010, 12:59 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
You won't get much for Grabner. You might be able to get something really nice for Raymond. I'm not saying it should happen but these are the tough decisions that have to be made in the cap world. Is Raymond close to going to that next level or is this what he is?
Well, if you ask an HF poster they will tell you Raymond hit his 3rd line ceiling this year and is just having a good year...just like Kesler hit his 3rd line ceiling a couple of years ago, and just like the Twins hit their 2nd line ceiling a few years ago, and just like Burrows hit his 3rd/4th line ceiling a couple of years ago. Raymond shows tonnes of potential, is last off the ice/first on, and comes alone to work on his skills. He demonstrates exceptional work ethic. Deciding that Raymond has peaked out is a foolish idea. Any serious hockey player/fan can see that he has loads of talent.

Gillis should be able to lock him up to a cheaper salary for the next few years. After that, he can figure out what to do with the cap problems if it comes to that. Jettisoning Raymond now in favour of Grabner is akin to Nonis bringing in one of his crap players to fill a hole, or bringing in Raymond way before he was ready, in an attempt to fill a top 6 spot....and what's the point of shipping out Raymond to bring in and develop another "nice young player". You're right back where you started.

As a GM, you let the players make you force your hand, not vice versa.

We're now seeing Kesler as a legitimate number 1-2 centre. 1/2 the people on this board were willing to trade him away when he received his offer sheet a few years ago, because they don't know what the makings of a good young hockey player look like. They want instant results. Thank god Nonis was smart enough to hang on to Kesler and saw the potential. Gillis has shown that he can assess talent well, and there's no way he'll be trading away Raymond to make way for Grabner unless he absolutely can't figure out a way to fit Raymond into the capped system.

Old
03-19-2010, 01:00 PM
monster_bertuzzi

According to some people there are only 30 or 40 true 1st line players in a 30 team league though...

Old
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

^I don't know about boring. Classy and professional is how I think Linden would be described, and it worked--he commanded respect throughout the league for his sportsmanship and leadership style. It's a big part of the reason why even the opposing team wanted to say their piece to him in his last game.

Kesler's just a different kind of leader. He speaks his mind, for better or for worse, and shoots straight from the lip. He will do and say anything to gain a competetive advantage.

As players, I think Linden would do anything within the realms of respectability to win a game. I think Kesler will just do anything to win a game.

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilde View Post
Who? care to expand?
Well Hodgson for one...I don't know how it can be assumed that he'll achieve his full bonus

Closed Thread