HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offense (most overpaid overrated top six in league? )

Old
03-19-2010, 01:03 PM
Wham City

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Fisher producing the same amount of goals as Kesler.
Kesler is bigger, stronger, younger and on pace for 75 PTS. His point totals have gone up every year and will probably win the Selke this year.

Fisher is nothing more then a 50 point player.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:04 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy_Eyez View Post
Kesler is bigger, stronger, younger and on pace for 75 PTS. His point totals have gone up every year and will probably win the Selke this year.

Fisher is nothing more then a 50 point player.
Were not talking about assists, were talking about goals baby.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by holybajesus View Post
don't forget he will probably end up trading or letting volchenkov go for nothing.. then resign a defensman overpriced. that will under perform here then get criticized. it's like this guy can't do anything right on the trading front.
did you just make up 3 things that murray has yet to do and then accuse him of not being able to do anything right based on those 3 things you just made up?

take your meds and go lie down.

Wondercarrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:15 PM
Puckhog27

Kesler is awesome, but what does it have to do with the Sens? It's not like they can get Kesler from Vancouver. The USA is producing a lot of good young players. The Sens should try to capitalize on this in the future, but after the way the USA performed in the olympics it's not a secret anymore. Now teams will be looking for players from USA where they might have passed over them for a European player in the past.

Puckhog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:16 PM
Wham City

Quote:
Were not talking about assists, were talking about goals baby.
Who said anything about assists? I'm talking about points baby.

Old
03-19-2010, 01:16 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Cant talk points, were talking goals. This thread is about goals, please stop going off topic.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:20 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
No he has not had alot of cap space all at one july 1st 2011 he will have $26 million in cap space.
No he wont, you do realize players need to be re-signed. That 26 million will easily be down to 6-8 million by then (so we could sign another Kovalev type)

Volchenkov or his replacement 4.0-4.5
Phillips or his replacement 3.5-4.0
Foligno 1.5-2.0
Cowen 1.2
Campoli 1.0
Lee 0.85

12.0 - 13.5

So that 26 million is down to 12.5 - 14.0

Well that's a lot of money. Sure it is but we have no goaltender signed need a number one and a backup (say that's 5-6 combined)

So now you have 6-8 million dollars to replace Kovalev, Ruutu, Shannon. Guys like Regin too need contracts.

The money is not as much as you think it's going to be after goalies are signed and Phillips/Volchenkov or either re-signed or replaced.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:21 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
We need goals right now. There are 3 points for every goal.

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post
lol

spoken like someone with a firm grasp on things.
mind if i ask why 4 years? why not 5? or 2?

what specific set of factors makes in 4 years out of curiosity.
Pretty simple to see.
That's the period of time where Alfie's contract expires and Fisher comes off the hook around that period as well. Spezza is signed until 2014 or so as well, correct? So we have to sit through that until we can start the youth rebuild.

Basically, we're screwed because we're a team with no history hanging on to Alfredsson and the long-term players. If we were a long-standing franchise we could have cleaned house long ago because we had that history of championships and Hall of Fame players.

Melnyks Mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:24 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Cant talk points, were talking goals. This thread is about goals, please stop going off topic.
The Canucks invested in finishers to put home Keslers passes and that is why they can afford to pay him 5.0, His defensive game and production is amazing.

Old
03-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
No he wont, you do realize players need to be re-signed. That 26 million will easily be down to 6-8 million by then (so we could sign another Kovalev type)

Foligno 1.5-2.0
Cowen 1.2
Campoli 1.0
Lee 0.85

12.0 - 13.5

Well that's a lot of money. Sure it is but we have no goaltender signed need a number one and a backup (say that's 5-6 combined)

So now you have 6-8 million dollars to replace Kovalev, Ruutu, Shannon. Guys like Regin too need contracts.

The money is not as much as you think it's going to be after goalies are signed and Phillips/Volchenkov or either re-signed or replaced.
Ya we're not suddenly gonna leap back into contention with a bunch of FA signings. The only way back to contention is through prospects.

Old
03-19-2010, 01:33 PM
TheWeb

Quote:

Foligno 1.5-2.0
Cowen 1.2
Campoli 1.0
Lee 0.85

12.0 - 13.5

Exactly, that cap number disappears pretty quickly as soon as you start spreading it out over a 20 man roster.

And, for the team to actually improve, then you need to have BETTER players than what we have now at all the places you write "or his replacement". Despite their recent poor play, it's actually hard to imagine getting significantly better players than Phillips and Volchenkov for the money you write.

The only way it works, is to have three or four good players on their entry level deals and making significant contributions.

And for that you need a stable of good prospects.

And for that you need draft picks.

And that is why trading those 2nds at the dealine was a bad idea.

TheWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:28 PM
2Cowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by holybajesus View Post
goalie first.. when was the last time we had a star goalie that was consistent? we need one and we need one bad. we have our defense sorted... which would explain our last 2 drafts have been mainly defensive. once our goalie situation is fixed were good to go. we should have gotten anderson
Hasek back in 06-07

2Cowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:19 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Alfie is staying, we all know that.
Spezza should stay.
Michalek won't get traded.

That leaves Kovalev and Fisher. I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't trade Kovy, but if we do:

To STL:
Kovalev, Bass

To Ottawa:
Barret Jackman

Blues are probably losing Kariya and Tkachuk this offseason, and don't have many offensive weapons at all. They have tons of cap space and this helps their dismal offence

Fisher I really believe should be moved, as much as I hate to say that. He has higher value than ever before, and given the fact that we have Regin as a budding centre, as well as Cullen as a cheaper option to resign, I think Fisher could be moved to shore up elsewhere.

To NYR:
Mike Fisher, Louie Caporusso

To Ottawa:
Ryan Callahan, Aaron Voros

Voros is a dump in this. Callahan will probably want something around 3 (at least) and we all know Murray went after him last summer. NYR gets a good defensive forward (although at the expense of another one) and a guy who looks like he could turn out to be a good forward in the future. Ottawa gets a guy who can score goals on the wing.

These may be terrible as I am absolutely stoned off my rocker, but hopefully they won't take too much heat

wubwubwubwub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:26 PM
HSF

we need more finishers

Kovalev, Alfie and Spezza are all better at passing then scoring (Alfie USED to be a sniper but he obvi has slowed down now and now is good for multiple assist games)

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:27 PM
HSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Alfie is staying, we all know that.
Spezza should stay.
Michalek won't get traded.

That leaves Kovalev and Fisher. I'm of the opinion that we shouldn't trade Kovy, but if we do:

To STL:
Kovalev, Bass

To Ottawa:
Barret Jackman

Blues are probably losing Kariya and Tkachuk this offseason, and don't have many offensive weapons at all. They have tons of cap space and this helps their dismal offence

Fisher I really believe should be moved, as much as I hate to say that. He has higher value than ever before, and given the fact that we have Regin as a budding centre, as well as Cullen as a cheaper option to resign, I think Fisher could be moved to shore up elsewhere.

To NYR:
Mike Fisher, Louie Caporusso

To Ottawa:
Ryan Callahan, Aaron Voros

Voros is a dump in this. Callahan will probably want something around 3 (at least) and we all know Murray went after him last summer. NYR gets a good defensive forward (although at the expense of another one) and a guy who looks like he could turn out to be a good forward in the future. Ottawa gets a guy who can score goals on the wing.

These may be terrible as I am absolutely stoned off my rocker, but hopefully they won't take too much heat
I would trade Fisher before Kovalev. Fish atleast used to work hard. Now he is almost useless

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

For now, until we go on another awesome winning streak...

I have lurked on these boards for over two years now, and frankly, enough is enough.

CALM DOWN.

One month ago this board was alight with Cup aspirations and fawning over Murray and Clouston's ability to field a deep and hard-working team which would surely roll over all competition on the way to the promised land.

Now, every second post is FIRE OUR COACH, FIRE BRYAN MURRAY, TRADE SPEZZA, TRADE FISHER, TRADE EVERYONE!

CALM DOWN.

We have played like utter garbage over the last stretch, but I have faith. This is why other fanbases mock ours ceaselessly, we refuse to stand beside our team with the firm belief that we can in fact rally, and beat any team at any time.

I have faith...

Chill out, they got this.

We have 11 games to right the ship, 11 games to regain our focus, and 11 games to show the league what we are capable of.

After that, all bets are off, but I still know who I will be supporting, not just the Ottawa Senators, but this group of Sens who have led me to believe that they are capable of far greater than what they have shown lately.

Above all, there is only one phrase, one simple exclamation which illustrates exactly what this board needs...

GO SENS GO!

And please, for the love of God, stop embarrassing yourselves.

Uncle Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common SENSe View Post
I have lurked on these boards for over two years now, and frankly, enough is enough.

CALM DOWN.

One month ago this board was alight with Cup aspirations and fawning over Murray and Clouston's ability to field a deep and hard-working team which would surely roll over all competition on the way to the promised land.

Now, every second post is FIRE OUR COACH, FIRE BRYAN MURRAY, TRADE SPEZZA, TRADE FISHER, TRADE EVERYONE!

CALM DOWN.

We have played like utter garbage over the last stretch, but I have faith. This is why other fanbases mock ours ceaselessly, we refuse to stand beside our team with the firm belief that we can in fact rally, and beat any team at any time.

I have faith...

Chill out, they got this.

We have 11 games to right the ship, 11 games to regain our focus, and 11 games to show the league what we are capable of.

After that, all bets are off, but I still know who I will be supporting, not just the Ottawa Senators, but this group of Sens who have led me to believe that they are capable of far greater than what they have shown lately.

Above all, there is only one phrase, one simple exclamation which illustrates exactly what this board needs...

GO SENS GO!

And please, for the love of God, stop embarrassing yourselves.
I thought you were in Barbados? Put down the laptop man and enjoy the sun.
(you really should fire murray though)

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:59 PM
The Fuhr*

I remember in 2008 when everything was falling apart and I deluded myself into believing the Sens could flip a switch and begin winning. Telling everyone to keep the faith.

Turned out I was wrong, having faith does not work that way.

Old
03-19-2010, 09:04 PM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best WorstPoster View Post
I thought you were in Barbados? Put down the laptop man and enjoy the sun.
(you really should fire murray though)
its his first post, how do you know that?

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

Quote:
I remember in 2008 when everything was falling apart and I deluded myself into believing the Sens could flip a switch and begin winning. Telling everyone to keep the faith.

What can we do? We are merely fans with no input into the day to day operations of the franchise.

As a fanbase, we have to stop looking to next year, faith is a free investment.

If believing in this franchise makes me delusional, then screw it...that's what I'll be.

Until the moment of elimination or ultimate triumph I will cheer for this group of guys to overcome present adversity. They deserve as much.

Our offense isn't overrated, when they click, we roll three deadly lines which can seldom be matched by any team in the league.

BELIEVE.

Uncle Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:

man, you don't even have faith in faith.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:16 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common SENSe View Post
What can we do? We are merely fans with no input into the day to day operations of the franchise.

As a fanbase, we have to stop looking to next year, faith is a free investment.

If believing in this franchise makes me delusional, then screw it...that's what I'll be.

Until the moment of elimination or ultimate triumph I will cheer for this group of guys to overcome present adversity. They deserve as much.

Our offense isn't overrated, when they click, we roll three deadly lines which can seldom be matched by any team in the league.

BELIEVE.
When I first began watching hockey those would have been my thoughts as well.

When I watch the team I cheer for, the team I love slowly get ripped a part by poor management decisions and players that lack skill/heart it makes me angry. I rant here gives me that opportunity.

I believe the Sens should be an envy of the league, a team like Detroit or New Jersey. 40+ win seasons on a shoe string budget and the threat of moving.

Old
03-19-2010, 09:19 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
I believe the Sens should be an envy of the league, a team like Detroit or New Jersey.
Alternatively, you could always go cheer for Detroit or New Jersey as opposed to holding Ottawa to the same unrealistic expectations.

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:23 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelnats Puc View Post
Alternatively, you could always go cheer for Detroit or New Jersey as opposed to holding Ottawa to the same unrealistic expectations.
unrealistic? Our owner promised to turn this franchise into the next mecca of hockey. I can grab the quote.

With our history and what this team has done facing a much harsher reality, there is no reason why we can't.