Notices

My Game experience.

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2010, 01:37 AM
PIMking

vCash: 500
My Game experience.

Well today was my birthday and I had it planned for a week to go to Atlanta for my first NHL game.

I have been to over 1k ahl, uhl(ihlv2), USHL, ECHL, NAHL But never a NHL game.

getting around in Atlanta BLOWS! my GPS had me get off of I20 on MLKjr BLVD and I was scared for my life. But once I saw the Georgia Dome I knew I was close but a lot of those streets were blocked off and was just a MAJOR PITA to get to a parking ramp.

So as I pull into a ramp the guy says "$8" and joking I said, Hey it's my Birthday so I get to park for free right? he just gave me a pass and let me park for free. I had to walk a couple of blocks to get to the CNN/Phillips arena. Couple of thoughts, 1 I really didn't know what the hell I was walking into. 2. For some people it would be probably push some people away being so confusing.

As I was walking to the arena I bought a ticket from a Scalper for $20. It was in 121 6 rows up. As I got to my seat I went right to the glass to take photos during warm-ups and decided to try to stay in the seat until I was moved. I wasn't moved so I got a $300 seat for $20!!!!

The game itself was fun being I didn't have a dog in the fight. I was wearing my Quad City Flames Red Jersey and had a couple people ask me about it. We had I think 5 goals scored on our end with both the break away and colbys slapper happen right in front of me.

As intermission came I realized that the fan base just isn't that strong. Hell the wolves have more fans show up on a weekday game then the Thrashers. I really hope the team starts winning to keep the team in town. You guys have a gorgeous arena. Some good players to build around with Kane and Armstrong.

I did get myself some tickets for the Pitt game. $20 for 2 tickets (400 section) but it was worth it to me to sit all the way up there for so cheap.

I'm uploading my pictures as we speak. Once they get uploaded I will post them for you guys/gals.

Ian aka PIMking

Old
03-19-2010, 02:00 AM
PIMking

http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/g...20vs%20Ottawa/

PICs for you.

Old
03-19-2010, 03:41 AM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
God damn what luck and to top it all: http://s249.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=DSCF0062.jpg

Alot of cool pictures bro.

Old
03-19-2010, 06:26 AM
dj4aces

Send a message via ICQ to dj4aces Send a message via AIM to dj4aces Send a message via MSN to dj4aces Send a message via Yahoo to dj4aces
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
As intermission came I realized that the fan base just isn't that strong. Hell the wolves have more fans show up on a weekday game then the Thrashers.
Eh.. ice a losing team for ten years and this is what you get. With the economy in the horrid state that its in, plus Atlanta's nigh consistent efforts to stay at the bottom of the league in the standings, people in Atlanta are just spending their money elsewhere (or not spending it at all).

You'd see similar results in the stands in any market not named Toronto, given the circumstances.

Anyway, I'm happy you had fun.

Old
03-19-2010, 06:41 AM
Bongo

I believe I saw you between periods unless there were two people wearing QC Flames jerseys. You certainly brought the luck with you. I hope you bought a lottery ticket.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:35 AM
TasteofFlames

Quote:
getting around in Atlanta BLOWS! my GPS had me get off of I20 on MLKjr BLVD and I was scared for my life. But once I saw the Georgia Dome I knew I was close but a lot of those streets were blocked off and was just a MAJOR PITA to get to a parking ramp.
Sounds about like driving around ATL. Just be glad that you had a GPS, and not directions: "From peachtree street, take a right on peachtree, which dead ends into peachtree." It actually took me a good 2 season to finally get my routine down.

Old
03-19-2010, 09:24 AM
Zsswimmer

My friend and I are going to the Toronto/Thrashrs game next thursday. We picked it because wed figured it would be a physical game and we would probably win. This is our first time going to a NHL game, I have been to a lot of SPHL games so we are looking forward to this. Is it hard to get to phillips arena? I have a pretty good top of the line gps so hopefully it will help.

We also got seats in the 309 section for $13 (cheap college students!), how are those seats?

Old
03-19-2010, 09:32 AM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zsswimmer View Post
My friend and I are going to the Toronto/Thrashrs game next thursday. We picked it because wed figured it would be a physical game and we would probably win. This is our first time going to a NHL game, I have been to a lot of SPHL games so we are looking forward to this. Is it hard to get to phillips arena? I have a pretty good top of the line gps so hopefully it will help.

We also got seats in the 309 section for $13 (cheap college students!), how are those seats?
Philips is pretty easy to access from both 85/75 and 20. Just remember that the Georgia Dome and Aquarium are both nears Philips. If you do not see a sign for one, you will see signs for the other two.

You will have a good view of the game from anywhere in the building, the 300's are fine....in fact the first couple of rows of the 300's are about as good a view of the game as you will find.

Old
03-19-2010, 10:28 AM
Zsswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Philips is pretty easy to access from both 85/75 and 20. Just remember that the Georgia Dome and Aquarium are both nears Philips. If you do not see a sign for one, you will see signs for the other two.

You will have a good view of the game from anywhere in the building, the 300's are fine....in fact the first couple of rows of the 300's are about as good a view of the game as you will find.
Thanks!

Old
03-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Aaronxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Agreed. Sitting in the low letter 100s is a treat, but there is nothing wrong with sitting bench side in the 300s.

Old
03-19-2010, 11:01 AM
KevFist
is best pony

Tomorrow's my first side sitting bench side at a thrashers game. I usually like to sit behind the goal to watch plays unfold

Old
03-19-2010, 11:24 AM
Aaronxxx

i like being bench side if i'm in the upper bowl. the view is perfect for being able to catch everything that is going down on the ice. if i'm in the lower bowl i'd rather be at either of the goals to get a better feel of the scoring.

Old
03-19-2010, 01:18 PM
Elyoric

Quote:
Is it hard to get to phillips arena? I have a pretty good top of the line gps so hopefully it will help.
No GPS required, but it will help if you happen to get turned around. It's extremely easy; if you're coming from north, just take 75/85 south to William's Street exit, like so:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...37079&t=h&z=15

There's parking all along the route after you exit. Typically the closer you get the more you pay.

Old
03-19-2010, 06:37 PM
PIMking

I'm excited to go back to see Crosby and Company.

I'm a Flames fan first but I might just start pulling for these guys.

Can't wait until my fiance sees nhl action and sid the kid.

Old
03-19-2010, 07:11 PM
Georgia Dawg

Glad you had a good time. Nice pictures.

I sure hope you meant the Thrashers when you said you may start pulling for these guys....

Old
03-19-2010, 07:14 PM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:

They're awesome, I sit a couple sections to the right in 311. They are a bunch of places to park around Philips- my advice to people on the best way to get there from 75 / 85 S is to get off at GA Tech / North Avenue then take a right onto North Avenue, then take a left on Centennial Olympic Park Drive then just drive straight. When you pass the World of Coke / Centennial Olympic Park just pick out any of the parking areas on the left or cruise around the block a couple of times when you get to Philips to find something else. Easy as pie. Enjoy the game

Old
03-19-2010, 08:11 PM
PIMking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Dawg View Post
Glad you had a good time. Nice pictures.

I sure hope you meant the Thrashers when you said you may start pulling for these guys....
I will always be a Flames fan but found myself cheering for Atlanta. Plus I hate Neil with a bloody passion.

Old
03-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Zsswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonK View Post
They're awesome, I sit a couple sections to the right in 311. They are a bunch of places to park around Philips- my advice to people on the best way to get there from 75 / 85 S is to get off at GA Tech / North Avenue then take a right onto North Avenue, then take a left on Centennial Olympic Park Drive then just drive straight. When you pass the World of Coke / Centennial Olympic Park just pick out any of the parking areas on the left or cruise around the block a couple of times when you get to Philips to find something else. Easy as pie. Enjoy the game
I'm glad to hear we picked some good seats. Seems like a steal for $13. We are leaving from Statesboro so we'll eventually get to 75, so thanks for the advice. I'm not great with directions I'm not familiar with but luckily my friend is so it shouldn't be a problem.

Old
03-20-2010, 01:36 AM
um

when i went to my first hockey game i wasnt into nhl hockey that much but my dad and brothers were so yea i didnt have an awesome experiance like you did

Old
03-20-2010, 01:49 AM
John Cena*
12x WWE CHAMPION!!!!

What a joke dude don't post here acting like a Thrashers fan if your gonna diss them.

And don't bring up another sport and make no sense when doing so. I'm pretty sure not everyone here likes the Dawgs (I could care less about them) so you might be dissing them to a dude who could care less about them as well.

I think you need to sit quietly.

Old
03-20-2010, 02:32 AM
DungeonK
Love Thy Neighbor

Quote:
wow, Not my fault that you cant pack a house for a NHL game. It's not my fault your bulldogs are a joke of a SEC football team. I thought the Arena was nice. Just confusing and in a crappy part of town.

Maybe atlanta can sell off the rest of the available talent so they can get moved again to another Canadian city....
Your observation about how sad the Tuesday/Thursday attendance is for the Thrashers was fine- nobody can get into midtown during weeknights and it's typically terrible. This is a sad fact that I would love to change, but I can only take so many people to the games. As for the location, there really isn't anywhere better without moving north of 285.

The last line was uncalled for enough to make me not like you, however- maybe next time you should just let the guy that insulted you look stupid instead of pulling yourself down with him.

Old
03-20-2010, 06:45 AM
Georgia Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaSportsFan View Post
What a joke dude don't post here acting like a Thrashers fan if your gonna diss them.

And don't bring up another sport and make no sense when doing so. I'm pretty sure not everyone here likes the Dawgs (I could care less about them) so you might be dissing them to a dude who could care less about them as well.

I think you need to sit quietly.
I thought everyone loved the DAWGS!

Old
03-20-2010, 07:40 AM
Shameus

And we're done here.

Ian, thanks for posting the picks. Welcome to Atlanta, hope you enjoy the next game as well.

With that said, this is an off topic thread that has run its course.

Closed Thread