HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#71: Flyers @ Thrashers - March 20, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
03-20-2010, 07:16 AM
Unstable

vCash: 500
Here's hoping...

Unstable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 08:16 AM
duffy9748

If i had the option before the season to think Michael Leighton would have 15 wins for us or that we would be 0-2 vs the ****ing Thrashers, i would have put money on Leighton.

Please win

duffy9748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 08:20 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Let Nitty get the start. Oh wait we can't.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 08:30 AM
CptCannon

Thrashers to the trashcan.

Let's go Flyers!!

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 08:35 AM
JCameron418

This needs to be one the games the Flyers take advantage of and get their easy 2 poitns

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:05 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
This needs to be one the games the Flyers take advantage of and get their easy 2 poitns
This is no easy 2 points. The Thrashers will be amped again I'm sure, they're the ones in 9th now.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:28 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Ill miss this one due to the Atlantic City Beer Festival.

But please win anyway.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:50 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tags27 View Post
Other than being the channel the Flyers, Sixers or Phillies get bumped to the programming is garbage.
My cable provider said that adding TCN would cost subscribers more than HBO and they believed it would be stupid even to offer it.

Why would Comcast price it so high? I imagine it's some programming executive's stupid idea that will fail - prompting their move to "another role" within the organization.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:04 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
The biggest departures from their earlier blues-rock were more due to Plant and Bonham disintegrating and Jones doing more and more of the actual work. Sure, Jones had differing tastes and influences but at a certain point he was the only one coherent enough to guide the bands musical direction. I like their late period stuff but most critics agree that the drugs began taking their toll and the keyboard driven late 70s/early 80s sound on some of their songs were largely due to Jones being the go to guy.
Absolutely agree. Page was seeing demons around that time and the creative leadership was picked up by Jones. There were some internal rumblings that led to slight disharmony. The 1977 tour, which was colossal (setting attendance records), was canceled midway when Plant's young son died and this album was a significant commitment after that ugly experience. When the band recorded Presence (with Achilles Last Stand) in 1976, the album both Page and Plant cited as (or among) favorites, the recording session came after Plant and his wife were involved in an almost deadly car accident (supposedly a blood transfusion saved her life). Plant recorded that album with limited mobility because of his injuries. When Bonham's boozing caught up to him and he died in 1980 the band ceased. Plant and Bonham were childhood friends and best mates. That's a lot of negative junk to endure in a four-year period.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:54 AM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

That Artickoke guy for Atlanta is huge, too bad he's Russian, otherwise he'd play like a beast

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:05 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Absolutely agree. Page was seeing demons around that time and the creative leadership was picked up by Jones. There were some internal rumblings that led to slight disharmony. The 1977 tour, which was colossal (setting attendance records), was canceled midway when Plant's young son died and this album was a significant commitment after that ugly experience. When the band recorded Presence (with Achilles Last Stand) in 1976, the album both Page and Plant cited as (or among) favorites, the recording session came after Plant and his wife were involved in an almost deadly car accident (supposedly a blood transfusion saved her life). Plant recorded that album with limited mobility because of his injuries. When Bonham's boozing caught up to him and he died in 1980 the band ceased. Plant and Bonham were childhood friends and best mates. That's a lot of negative junk to endure in a four-year period.
Kimmo Timonen:Flyers::JPJ:Led Zeppelin

Edit: On a separate note, it's really sad that Page got so caught up in the drugs. When you watch him in the later years -- in the 77-79 range (also Knebworth)-- he just looks like complete ****. Even his playing, though still very good, is not anywhere near the sharpness that he had in 73 or even 75. Interestingly, even though Bonham was into the drinking and drugs too, his playing really didn't suffer all that much. You listen/watch any of their later stuff and he's still ****ing pounding away going crazy.

I don't mind their later stuff at all (ALS is my favorite song, period), but Jimmy Page made LZ what they were. He found that sound and kept going after it. It's just a shame that it had to turn out the way it did.

Last edited by chimrichalds18: 03-20-2010 at 12:18 PM.
chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:12 PM
Tags27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
My cable provider said that adding TCN would cost subscribers more than HBO and they believed it would be stupid even to offer it.

Why would Comcast price it so high? I imagine it's some programming executive's stupid idea that will fail - prompting their move to "another role" within the organization.
It's priced high intentionally so your provider says no & therefore trying to get you to switch to comca$t.

Tags27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:23 PM
JCameron418

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
Ill miss this one due to the Atlantic City Beer Festival.
This is one of the few good reasons to miss a flyers game.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:29 PM
Jester

Quote:
It's priced high intentionally so your provider says no & therefore trying to get you to switch to comca$t.
Ah, this is how the cable industry works. ESPN, for example, does this crap all the time. When ESPN College came out no one wanted to pay for yet another ESPN channel and then they started to put big time NCAA football games on there to create a firestorm of complaint.

Then you have someone like Viacom that forces cable providers to pay for a slew of channels that no one cares about in order to get the few channels people do care about.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:36 PM
Yukon Cornelius
LoosenUpSandyBaby!

vCash: 50
Huge game tonight, I'm hoping to see the same effort tonight as in Dallas. Hopefully we're better rested. While the turnovers were embarrassing, and almost comical, at times, I thought they simply came from a very tired team. The usual failing students of Hockey 101: Harts, Carts, Coby, and Carle all did their homework and played very well defensively. What can you say about Boosh? Guy played his heart out and looked very calm and solid back there.

Losing Leighton might be the rallying point this team has needed all season. Are we contenders? Of course not but the East is ridiculously weak this year and we all know there's a couple of key injuries yet to happen to other teams. Pride is truly a double edged sword but in this case, I see it as the great motivator for Boucher. He's got the opportunity to rewrite, what is otherwise, a mediocre and underwhelming story and career.

The sad fact is that you never quite prepare yourself for life's failures and its overall cruelty but somewhere inside of you, hidden, is the dream of happy endings and fulfilled destinies. Make me a believer again.

Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:54 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinRiles
Thrashers to the trashcan.
It's fun watching the Thrashers on (French-language) RDS because most francophones pronounce the 'th' as just 't'. So the Trashers it is!

Flyers cannot be complacent today. It's not just about qualifying for the post-season; they need momentum and consistency to actually go deeper than the first round.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:11 PM
BWAVgal
Clever comment here

vCash: 176
We need a sweep. That would really help us in the standings. Come on boys, be ready to go from the drop of the puck.

BWAVgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:20 PM
Tags27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Ah, this is how the cable industry works. ESPN, for example, does this crap all the time. When ESPN College came out no one wanted to pay for yet another ESPN channel and then they started to put big time NCAA football games on there to create a firestorm of complaint.

Then you have someone like Viacom that forces cable providers to pay for a slew of channels that no one cares about in order to get the few channels people do care about.
You know it. It's quite the scam.

Tags27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:52 PM
Jester

Quote:
You know it. It's quite the scam.
I'm not sure I would call it a scam, but it's an economic system that doesn't cater to the end user well. I have 500+ channels or whatever, and probably watch 20 of 'em with any regularity--why do I want my bill to reflect the 480+? I don't. Now, of the "cable" channels that I watch, they're probably the most expensive of the bunch (ESPN is extremely expensive for cable providers, which is why they all hate ESPN).

At some point in the not too distant future government regulation is going to break up how the current system works. Technology will make it ridiculous to have cable deliver its platform the way it does.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 02:29 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Every game is a must win, keep up the good play Boosh

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 02:42 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
(ESPN is extremely expensive for cable providers, which is why they all hate ESPN).

At some point in the not too distant future government regulation is going to break up how the current system works. Technology will make it ridiculous to have cable deliver its platform the way it does.
I don't even understand why ESPN is so heavily watched. Yeah there's SportCenter, but they don't really have access to huge (postseason) games. So they have SportsCenter, which sucks now, a bunch of stupid Sports talk shows that ALL talk about the same thing and then a few MLB games, 1 NFL game, and a few NBA games a week. On the college level, they get regular season games and conference tourneys, but they miss out on the big tourney which is all that matters. They do have a ton college football games which is what keeps them alive IMO, but IIRC, they don't get any of the BCS games, again the only games that truly matter. Obviously being apart of ABC, is the only thing keeping them alive. If they weren't owned by ABC, ESPN wouldn't have that much leverage over the cable companies IMO.

flyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 03:49 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
We need to win this ****.

Thanks, MSE.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:08 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
We should win this one, and hopefully next game to get a slight cushion over sens and habs, i dont want us to still have the chance of coming 7th or 8th with say, 3 games left, especially with the canadiens being so hot recently. Does anyone else think it will be strange to watch the thrashers without kovalchuk!? Im sure at some point in the game il wonder where he is then realise!

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:18 PM
MsWoof

I'm probably going to miss one period and it looks like I'll miss almost all of tomorrow's game but I do wish we still had Niitty! Hoping for 2 points, and the Sens lost today so it's even more important!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Pwood
B-B-B-Bus can't swim

Send a message via AIM to Pwood Send a message via Yahoo to Pwood
Great GDT, as always. Nice music as well. I really jammed out to that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
TCN sucks.

Why aren't the Flyers available to thousands of fans?

The God-awful 76ers that's why. The 11th place, 24-45 76ers led by scoring machine Andre Iguodala. Should be an exciting game though - what with the Sixers coming off an exciting loss to the disgracefully horrible Knicks tonight and facing a really exciting sub-.500 Bulls team. I'm sure there will probably be plenty of big dunks and uncontested three point shots. Two teams going nowhere and everybody has a guaranteed contract. Why any moron would watch this garbage game - especially while the NCAA tourny is on - is beyond me.

Crap game in a crap league. ESPN would tell you it's a great product though.

Biron sucks worse that Boucher. Ugh what a softy.
Nice.

Also, just watched the "History of the Philadelphia Flyers" DVD and it reeeaaaallllllllllyyy pumped me up for this game. I want the Cup!

Pwood is offline   Reply With Quote