HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offense (most overpaid overrated top six in league? )

Old
03-19-2010, 10:24 PM
Uncle Eugene
Buckle up.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fuhr View Post
When I first began watching hockey those would have been my thoughts as well.
You're a funny guy. It is your assumption that because I joined this of all hallowed boards that I have only been watching hockey for what? What do you give me, 2 years, a year?

I have seen games at the Civic Centre.

I remember when it was still the Palladium and in the middle of nowhere.

I remember Steve Duschene.

I remember watching Derek Plante's goal seemingly go through Tugger's outstretched glove.

I have witnessed the heartbreak first hand at the then Corel Centre as Tom Barasso's brash persona came crashing down as a result of the ultimate Leafs villain...Wendel Clark.

Hell, I remember CHRO games on Thursday night...

Faith is not diminished by experience, I have witnessed some truly great moments in Senators history, and I believe this group has all the right tools to create a few more.

Uncle Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
unrealistic? Our owner promised to turn this franchise into the next mecca of hockey. I can grab the quote.

With our history and what this team has done facing a much harsher reality, there is no reason why we can't.
Are you that kid who pesters the kid who owes you $1.20 every day since you lent him the money because he told you "I'll pay you back man" ????

And explain to me how NJ and Detroit are worlds above us, Detroit is fighting for a playoff spot and NJ is two spots above us in the conference, and I would take our prospects over NJ's as well.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

At the moment, the first post in the thread is correct.

However, things change very fast in hockey, and memories are short.

Things don't look good now though.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:32 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common SENSe View Post
You're a funny guy. It is your assumption that because I joined this of all hallowed boards that I have only been watching hockey for what? What do you give me, 2 years, a year?
I never said it does not, just saying I felt the same way when I began watching hockey.

I've lost it as I watched more and more games and as I've got older.

Good for you for still having it.

The Fuhr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:33 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensational Spezza View Post
Are you that kid who pesters the kid who owes you $1.20 every day since you lent him the money because he told you "I'll pay you back man" ????

And explain to me how NJ and Detroit are worlds above us, Detroit is fighting for a playoff spot and NJ is two spots above us in the conference, and I would take our prospects over NJ's as well.
The fact that they have been in playoff discussion every year since the early 90's and have a few cups to show for it.

I don't see why the Sens can't cement themselves the same legacy.

Old
03-19-2010, 10:39 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
The fact that they have been in playoff discussion every year since the early 90's and have a few cups to show for it.

I don't see why the Sens can't cement themselves the same legacy.
We missed the playoffs for the first time in a decade last season and unless all **** goes to hell we will make the playoffs this season. And who cares? Now is now, present and future is only what matters.

If only we could be like the 8th place Red Wings

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Yelnats Puc
Brust 'em up!

Quote:
unrealistic? Our owner promised to turn this franchise into the next mecca of hockey. I can grab the quote.
Right, because the current "meccas of hockey" Toronto and Montreal are the real envies of the league.

Quote:
With our history and what this team has done facing a much harsher reality, there is no reason why we can't.

New Jersey and Detroit have the best GMs in the business, by far. They have players who have won and know how to win, they have coaches who have been around a long time and have implemented winning systems that have become nearly synonymous with either team over the past few years. They are among the best drafting teams in the league and have the luxury of being able to allow their prospects to spend time on their AHL teams learning the system.

They are the class of the league, and their are twenty-eight teams all trying to be like Detroit or New Jersey. Expecting Ottawa to perform at that standard is unreasonable.

That said, Ottawa made the play-offs 11 seasons in a row, and we often finished at or near the top of our Conference every year. To put it bluntly, we were spoiled by being able to watch such a great team for many years. We're not New Jersey or Detroit, we won't stay great forever while being forced to draft late every year, especially if we draft as poorly as Muckler did in his tenor.

Yelnats Puc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:43 PM
HSF

right now?

probably San Jose. they are playing just as bad as us. They are getting eaten by the Flames right now.

HSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:09 PM
The Fuhr*

http://www2.ottawasenators.com/eng/n...ewsItemID=1096

Quote:
To a fan, hockey is a great but sometimes brutal game -- and only one of 30 cities is going to be feeling great by this time next month. But while you're barbecuing this summer and speculating on next season, I want you to think about this:
I firmly believe the Ottawa Senators will not only win the Stanley Cup, but we will build a team with the talent and drive to hoard that Cup year after year in the playoffs. I guarantee that you have never seen the level of determination that is about to go into putting together our 2006-2007 season. And I guarantee that I will not rest until Ottawa becomes the hockey Mecca of the NHL.

I've been accused in the past of harbouring unbridled optimism, but I'll tell you this -- I always deliver.
Ottawa then went to the finals and lost so Melnyk fired Muckler and hired Murray to take us to the next level he expects.

Old
03-19-2010, 11:19 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Overrated might be the wrong term... consistently inconsistent.
Seriously, Ottawa just seems to bounce from losing streak to winning streak. The 11 game win streak was right after a 5 game losing skid. The mood went from "another playoff-less season" to "we will win the division!"

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:33 PM
jbeck5

We might not have a player get more then 25 goals this year.

Michalek is injured and cold, at 22.
Fisher is cold at 21.
Next up has 17.

When was the last time our team did not have someone get over 25 goals?

EDIT: lmao the only time we didn't have a 25 goal scorer was the 1994-1995 LOCKOUT year where we only played 47 games. Yashin got 21 goals.

So basically,this is our worst year for having high end goal scorers...EVER.

Last edited by jbeck5: 03-20-2010 at 12:17 AM.
jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:36 PM
Kamina
Amok

Clouston needs to spark the team and change the forward lines. Ruutu-Kelly-Neil absolutely should not be our best line, with all due respect.

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:56 PM
alfstheman

I just dont understand how we outshoot every team 3-2 in shots and still manage to lose by twice as many goals....

The team needs to work on their shooting or something.

alfstheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:18 AM
PablitoArg

This team is overpaying

Plus what really Bugs me is that we have no tallented prospects in the forward departement like a (Voracek - Filatov - Duchesne - Wolski - Evander Kane - Eberle - MSP - Kadri ... so on)

I'm quite discusted by that actualy... Look at Chicago, they have (hossa-JT-Kane-Campbell-Keith-Seabrook-Versteeg...etc) all those skilled players are paid no more then 6M. While we pay Spezza 7. They have 3 World class D-man. While in Ottawa, we have Phily - Kuba - Volchenkov.

Just imagine chicago without the Brian Campbell contract, they would of kept Barker and others. They're stuck with only 1 stupid contract. While Ottawa is stuck with about 6 stupid contracts. (Fisher-Kovalev-Spezza-Kelly-Leclaire-Neil) ... Even alfie at 5.4 is a little too much, since the guy isn't getting any younger. BUT IT"S ALFIE, who cares.

PablitoArg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Big Papi
Who's Mel Bridgeman?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Common SENSe View Post
I have lurked on these boards for over two years now, and frankly, enough is enough.

CALM DOWN.

One month ago this board was alight with Cup aspirations and fawning over Murray and Clouston's ability to field a deep and hard-working team which would surely roll over all competition on the way to the promised land.

Now, every second post is FIRE OUR COACH, FIRE BRYAN MURRAY, TRADE SPEZZA, TRADE FISHER, TRADE EVERYONE!

CALM DOWN.

We have played like utter garbage over the last stretch, but I have faith. This is why other fanbases mock ours ceaselessly, we refuse to stand beside our team with the firm belief that we can in fact rally, and beat any team at any time.

I have faith...

Chill out, they got this.

We have 11 games to right the ship, 11 games to regain our focus, and 11 games to show the league what we are capable of.

After that, all bets are off, but I still know who I will be supporting, not just the Ottawa Senators, but this group of Sens who have led me to believe that they are capable of far greater than what they have shown lately.

Above all, there is only one phrase, one simple exclamation which illustrates exactly what this board needs...

GO SENS GO!

And please, for the love of God, stop embarrassing yourselves.
finally a voice of reason
not enough people here live and die with the team.

Big Papi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:21 AM
MatthewT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PablitoArg View Post
This team is overpaying

Plus what really Bugs me is that we have no tallented prospects in the forward departement like a (Voracek - Filatov - Duchesne - Wolski - Evander Kane - Eberle - MSP - Kadri ... so on)

I'm quite discusted by that actualy... Look at Chicago, they have (hossa-JT-Kane-Campbell-Keith-Seabrook-Versteeg...etc) all those skilled players are paid no more then 6M. While we pay Spezza 7. They have 3 World class D-man. While in Ottawa, we have Phily - Kuba - Volchenkov.

Just imagine chicago without the Brian Campbell contract, they would of kept Barker and others. They're stuck with only 1 stupid contract. While Ottawa is stuck with about 6 stupid contracts. (Fisher-Kovalev-Spezza-Kelly-Leclaire-Neil) ... Even alfie at 5.4 is a little too much, since the guy isn't getting any younger. BUT IT"S ALFIE, who cares.
thats what happens when you suck for countless years

MatthewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 09:25 AM
PablitoArg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papi View Post
finally a voice of reason
not enough people here live and die with the team.
we all love the team, otherwise we wouldn't be here discussing the problems we're having. And dear god I hate those F***ing people that stay positive.

Positive people finish last.. I'm not too sure Babcock is a positive person. If his team is playing like shiat then he threats them like shiat too. (extra long work-outs, skating drills)

Old
03-20-2010, 09:28 AM
PablitoArg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewT View Post
thats what happens when you suck for countless years
of course they sucked for years, they drafted good and now those players are World class players signed to DECENT contracts. Not overpaid like Ottawa..

the fact that they sucked for yeard, doesn't change the fact that their Pay roll is a lot better then ours.

Old
03-20-2010, 10:23 AM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

Looks like the only player that will hit 60 points this year is Alfredsson...

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:25 AM
Leachman

A fool abusing his children will swear with tears in eyes that he loves them and is doing his best. Everyone but the abuser knows that he's insane and toxic.

Love is a verb. Being a fan is too. Being a "fan" is not a license to spew vitriol, it's a claim of undying support through action.

Start behaving like fans for **** sakes and stand by your team. This thread an embarrassment.

Leachman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:47 AM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachman View Post
A fool abusing his children will swear with tears in eyes that he loves them and is doing his best. Everyone but the abuser knows that he's insane and toxic.

Love is a verb. Being a fan is too. Being a "fan" is not a license to spew vitriol, it's a claim of undying support through action.

Start behaving like fans for **** sakes and stand by your team. This thread an embarrassment.
So you subscribe to the Toronto Maple Leaf philosophy...

Old
03-20-2010, 11:54 AM
Wham City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachman View Post

Cultish devotion is not a particularly effective means of critical analysis.

Wham City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:55 AM
The King of Town

Quote:
So you subscribe to the Toronto Maple Leaf philosophy...
That's rich coming from a guy who's busy suckling on Bryan Burke's teat.

Last edited by The King of Town: 03-20-2010 at 12:01 PM.
The King of Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:41 PM
The Fuhr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The King of Town View Post
That's rich coming from a guy who's busy suckling on Bryan Burke's teat.
Burkes done a better job of rebuilding Toronto in one year then Murray has of taken Ottawa moving forward. Murrays been here for three years.

Old
03-20-2010, 12:47 PM
DaveMatthew

Quote:
Burkes done a better job of rebuilding Toronto in one year then Murray has of taken Ottawa moving forward. Murrays been here for three years.
Oh yeah... en route to a lottery pick for Boston...

They're winning some games at the end of the year after the deadline when there's no pressure. Good for them, but it means nothing. They did the same thing last year, and the year before.

Gotta love Phaneuf's 0 goals, 4pts and -1 rating in 15 games too. On pace for less than 30 points on the year. When are you going to make a thread about him not being worth 6.5 million?

DaveMatthew is offline   Reply With Quote