HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Goalie question for 2010-2011

Old
03-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

vCash: 500
Goalie question for 2010-2011

I am trying to figure out what the Flyers best options are for obtaining decent goaltending for next season, assuming that the team does not part with any major player from the current roster.

1) Does the team stick with Emery and Leighton? Can they be signed to low contracts? Is it worth it?

2) Do they try to get a young goalie with "potential", like Schneider or Harding, and hope he pans out?

3) do you think they ought to try to obtain a proven veteran who is not currently under contract or whose contract is set to expire AND would fit under the cap?

I am interested in seeing what you all think are the best options and why. I am clueless as to how the team can fix the problem without parting with a key contributor like Carter and Richards.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Teezax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
I am trying to figure out what the Flyers best options are for obtaining decent goaltending for next season, assuming that the team does not part with any major player from the current roster.

1) Does the team stick with Emery and Leighton? Can they be signed to low contracts? Is it worth it?

2) Do they try to get a young goalie with "potential", like Schneider or Harding, and hope he pans out?

3) do you think they ought to try to obtain a proven veteran who is not currently under contract or whose contract is set to expire AND would fit under the cap?

I am interested in seeing what you all think are the best options and why. I am clueless as to how the team can fix the problem without parting with a key contributor like Carter and Richards.
I think Emery will be a last resort, I'm thinking more along the lines of a Harding - Leighton tandem

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:45 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax View Post
I think Emery will be a last resort, I'm thinking more along the lines of a Harding - Leighton tandem
I like the idea of Harding - Leighton.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:50 AM
PhilaFlyers

I'd like Harding.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:59 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Depends on what your understanding of major is.
The Flyers will likely try to get rid of one big contract (Hartnell, Gagne, Briere), but because of salary cap reasons and not because the value of goaltenders is sky high on the market.

Quote:
Ray Emery's career could be over. If he is able to play he likely will get signed very cheap and short term just because of the uncertainty concerning his health. He played good for the Flyers.

Leighton will probably want a bigger contract than what he actually deserves (see: Martin Biron).

Quote:
Josh Harding is one year younger than Emery and while goaltenders develop slower and peak later I don't see him as a starter.
Schneider would be a good acquisition if we have another guy that can start at least 40 games, better 50-55 games.

Quote:
If you're talking about Robert Esche than: no.
At least not as a starter.
As for goalies whose contract expire, there will be a few, some will make it to July 1st the question is if they really help the Flyers.
If the go after Schneider or another unproven, but talented, goalie it would be ideal to sign one of these to a 1year contract below $2mil.

Quote:
I think the best option is to go out and get a young guy with top starter talent, not just a guy who can start in the NHL. We had Biron, Nitty, Esche and many other who were just that and while I think it isn't a necessity it is a huge help to have a top 5-10 goalie.
I think Schneider and Price are that talented. Neuvirth, Enroth and maybe other could get there aswell. The advantage in acquiring Price would be that we wouldn't need a starter for now. Give him 50-60 games, Boucher can take the rest.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:01 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I wonder what Harding's issue was with his hip this season. at first glance Harding-Leighton doesn't sound bad to me at all. I'd like it about as much as Ellis-Leighton. I think Harding has the ability to be a better goalie than Ellis, but his hip might be a concern.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:07 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by dookie88 View Post
I think the best option is to go out and get a young guy with top starter talent, not just a guy who can start in the NHL. We had Biron, Nitty, Esche and many other who were just that and while I think it isn't a necessity it is a huge help to have a top 5-10 goalie.

I think Schneider and Price are that talented. Neuvirth, Enroth and maybe other could get there aswell. The advantage in acquiring Price would be that we wouldn't need a starter for now. Give him 50-60 games, Boucher can take the rest.
Harding is a guy with top starter talent. He has been stuck behind Backstrom. Harding has proven far more against NHL level talent than Nuevirth or Schnieder, and Enroth is a midget (who hasn't proven anything at all at the NHL level). He is a really talented midget, but still a midget as far as goalies go. It seems like you're into these next big thing goalies, but Harding was that guy two years ago and he hasn't forgotten how to play. He is ready now, consider him Carey Price minus the buzz.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:24 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Harding is a guy with top starter talent. He has been stuck behind Backstrom. Harding has proven far more against NHL level talent than Nuevirth or Schnieder, and Enroth is a midget (who hasn't proven anything at all at the NHL level).
That's why I wrote "they may get there".
I'm also not into any goalies .I mentioned them because they might be more in the Flyers range, what the cost of acquiring them concerns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
He is ready now, consider him Carey Price minus the buzz.
If you mean unreal upside with buzz, ok.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:29 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
None of the sort. They're going with Leighton and Boucher for sure. Emery is out of the picture.

Why go for a "future" goalie when you three mediocre ones who are in the NHL?

I mean, this goaltending stuff is hogwash...anyone can do it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:57 AM
jb**

it will be the same merry go round as usual. another inaduquate goalie will be brought in. Until i see it with my own eyes, no reason to believe otherwise

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:18 PM
JCameron418

While I don't know who the starter will be the Flyers I think we should trade for a young up and coming guy like Schiender. Give him a chance at 20-30 games next year and see how good he does. With Luongo set in place in Vancouver we might have a chance at making a good deal to aquire him.

Parent for Schiender in my opinion would be a nice deal.

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:33 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
Parent for Schiender in my opinion would be a nice deal.
No reason at this juncture to trade a player like Parent, who is in the NHL, for one who is not established in the NHL. That's not how those trades work.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:42 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
No reason at this juncture to trade a player like Parent, who is in the NHL, for one who is not established in the NHL. That's not how those trades work.
I would be OK with Parent for Schneider and a 2nd this year, because I HATE Parent with a passion. I dont like Harding enough. I think his stats were a bit padded in Minnesota under Lemaire's trap system. Its very difficult to score against a defense like that so I dont think Harding is all hes cracked up to be.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:10 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I'm sure Vancouver will be all over that deal.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
I would be OK with Parent for Schneider and a 2nd this year, because I HATE Parent with a passion. I dont like Harding enough. I think his stats were a bit padded in Minnesota under Lemaire's trap system. Its very difficult to score against a defense like that so I dont think Harding is all hes cracked up to be.
I'm sure you've documented it before, but why do you hate Parent?

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:38 PM
Bryz4shiz

After Boucher wins the cup and the Conn Smythe it'll be clear that he's our #1

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:39 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10KeithLeClair25 View Post
After Boucher wins the cup and the Conn Smythe it'll be clear we have to resign him
2009-10 Brian Boucher: Unfinished Business...10 Years Later

Who called it? Me.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:40 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Parent may be playing in the NHL, but when he's out on the ice, he doesnt look like he belongs there

if Parent is the center piece to get Schneider, you get it done

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Garneij

Either trade for a proven goalie, like Vokoun, or don't trade at all. As much as I like the thought of getting a future star in Schneider or Harding it's to big of a gamble to let experienced players go the other way.

I would trade both those goaltenders for Parent since I don't value him as high as others seem to do. But then again, neither Minnesota or Nuck's would do that trade and it would be idiotic to give up key assets.

There is a Schneider thread on the Toronto board and some members there would consider to give up Kaberle + draft picks/prospects to get Schneider. And that is the kind of overpayment vancouver expects to get in return.. sigh..

Garneij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:44 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

I still think it's Carey Price of Montreal who they end up with. I can see a deal being centered around Braydon Coburn. Both are in need of a change of scenery.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Parent may be playing in the NHL, but when he's out on the ice, he doesnt look like he belongs there

if Parent is the center piece to get Schneider, you get it done
This is what I don't understand. It's not that I'm for or against trading Parent in this scenario, it's that people think he's invisible or a blemish when visible on the ice. Before Chris Pronger, he was the only defender on the team who would consistently take a guy at the boards and not let him decide which way he's moving.

If anyone has a beef with Parent it should be because of his injury history and potential future, not his play.

Terence Peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:58 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny View Post
I'm sure you've documented it before, but why do you hate Parent?
I know he has a good defensive presence SOMETIMES, but I dont think his play has been what it should be at this stage. Injuries also dont help his cause in the least.

In the thread I opened up saying to get rid of Parent, I got my ass chewed out for saying it and everyone backed Parent, but now everyone is on the flip side saying they want him out of town.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garneij View Post
Either trade for a proven goalie, like Vokoun, or don't trade at all. As much as I like the thought of getting a future star in Schneider or Harding it's to big of a gamble to let experienced players go the other way.

I would trade both those goaltenders for Parent since I don't value him as high as others seem to do. But then again, neither Minnesota or Nuck's would do that trade and it would be idiotic to give up key assets.

There is a Schneider thread on the Toronto board and some members there would consider to give up Kaberle + draft picks/prospects to get Schneider. And that is the kind of overpayment vancouver expects to get in return.. sigh..
Every season the Flyers are lambasted for not acquiring a decent goalie - how CAN the Flyers acquire a decent proven goalie under their current Cap scenario AND without gutting the team? Sure, the Flyers could get Vokoun for Carter, but that's moronic. I think their options are severely limited.

Old
03-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Garneij

Quote:
Every season the Flyers are lambasted for not acquiring a decent goalie - how CAN the Flyers acquire a decent proven goalie under their current Cap scenario AND without gutting the team? Sure, the Flyers could get Vokoun for Carter, but that's moronic. I think their options are severely limited.
The flyers can't because they acquired Pronger instead. Getting a good goalie last summer would've been better, but I dunno if anyone was available.

Vokoun is good, really good and has been good for a number of years. Schneider is an AHL goalie, that's the difference. Vokoun is a starter in this league and noone can tell whether Schneider will. The goalie is arguably the most important player on a team and why wouldn't you give up something juicy for a guy that till provide security at the back end?

Garneij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garneij View Post
The flyers can't because they acquired Pronger instead. Getting a good goalie last summer would've been better, but I dunno if anyone was available.

Vokoun is good, really good and has been good for a number of years. Schneider is an AHL goalie, that's the difference. Vokoun is a starter in this league and noone can tell whether Schneider will. The goalie is arguably the most important player on a team and why wouldn't you give up something juicy for a guy that till provide security at the back end?
I'd give up Carter in a deal for Vokoun is Vokoun is 26 or 27, but at what, age 34, there is no way I am trading someone who will be in the league for another 10 or 12 years for a guy who might only play for 2 or 3 more.