HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Richards Overlooked and Underated?

Old
03-19-2010, 12:35 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Richards Overlooked and Underated?

Just wondering what people's views are on the media and nhl in generals view on richards? Sometimes it seems as though hes underated massively, as shown at start of olympics when bergeron got put high up on depth chart above him, when everyone knows apart from faceoffs, bergeron isnt richards standard.

(Mod note: link to article was broken and removed). Comments on the perception of Richards can be made here, however.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-19-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:52 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
Thread is re-opened.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:53 PM
Mark Stuart*

vCash: 500
Furthest thing from underrated

Mark Stuart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:58 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
I'd say he's rated fine.

He's not a great ES offensive player, but he excels pretty much everywhere else. Good for 30-35 PP points, really good defensively at ES, really good PKer.

Maybe he was underrated a couple years ago, but not now.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Mgkibbles

Richards is fine. Hes not an elite player and hes not a 3rd or 4th line energy guy, he just fits somewhere in the middle.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 05:50 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
He got the most first place votes for the Selke last year, so I don't think he's overlooked and/or underrated

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 05:57 PM
Joey Mac

not in my eyes and i'm not the biggest fan of richards

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:02 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I think he is pretty on par. Everyone knows about his defensive skills and his work ethic and love of the game and winning. I don't think his offensive skills are amazing and I don't think anyone else does. He is one of the top defensive forwards in the league and I'm pretty sure he is regarded as such around the league. He doesn't get the OV/Crosby recognition because he doesn't have their numbers. Grit doesn't sell merchandise.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 06:34 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I think he is pretty on par. Everyone knows about his defensive skills and his work ethic and love of the game and winning. I don't think his offensive skills are amazing and I don't think anyone else does. He is one of the top defensive forwards in the league and I'm pretty sure he is regarded as such around the league. He doesn't get the OV/Crosby recognition because he doesn't have their numbers. Grit doesn't sell merchandise.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,219488

Quote:
The NHL released a list of its Top 20 Best-Selling Jerseys on Shop.NHL.com this season, and here's what we learned: People love Crosby and Ovechkin, and the Winter Classic is basically the League's personal ATM machine. From the NHL, the top 10:
1. Sidney Crosby(notes), Pittsburgh Penguins
2. Alex Ovechkin(notes), Washington Capitals
3. Evgeni Malkin(notes), Pittsburgh Penguins
4. Marc-Andre Fleury(notes), Pittsburgh Penguins
5. Mike Richards(notes), Philadelphia Flyers
6. Patrick Kane(notes), Chicago Blackhawks
7. Milan Lucic(notes), Boston Bruins
8. Jonathan Toews(notes), Chicago Blackhawks
9. Henrik Lundqvist(notes), New York Rangers
10. Martin Brodeur(notes), New Jersey Devils
11. Zach Parise(notes), New Jersey Devils
12. Marian Gaborik(notes), New York Rangers
13. Henrik Zetterberg(notes), Detroit Red Wings
14. Ryan Miller(notes), Buffalo Sabres
15. Chris Pronger(notes), Philadelphia Flyers
16. Pavel Datsyuk(notes), Detroit Red Wings
17. Zdeno Chara(notes), Boston Bruins
18. Jeff Carter(notes), Philadelphia Flyers
19. Marc Savard(notes), Boston Bruins
20. Claude Giroux(notes), Philadelphia Flyers

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:03 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
I do like how Giroux is #20. Also Fluery is top 5? REALLLY?

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:05 PM
Gert B Frobe

If anybody on the Flyers is underrated I think it's Carter. He has really become a complete player. He is excellent defensively, skates great, uses his size, scores a ton of goals, kills penalties, etc. He is hands down the best forward on the team and Richards goes to the Olympics? I think Carter would have made Canada a better team than Richards did (and I am a very big fan of Richards). Just my opinion.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:27 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
If anybody on the Flyers is underrated I think it's Carter. He has really become a complete player. He is excellent defensively, skates great, uses his size, scores a ton of goals, kills penalties, etc. He is hands down the best forward on the team and Richards goes to the Olympics? I think Carter would have made Canada a better team than Richards did (and I am a very big fan of Richards). Just my opinion.
Richards and Carter bring different things to the table. Canada wanted a player to center a shut down line and excell on the pk, both of which Richards is better than Carter at. Carter is a better scorer, no doubt, but he wasn't a better scorer than the 6-8 guys Canada chose to be on their PP and top 2 scoring lines, which is why he was not on the team.

Btw, Richards had a really good olympics, fyi.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:36 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Wow. That's pretty impressive. Although when you think about it Philly is one of the top markets and most of the sales probably come from Flyers fans. I doubt a lot of non-Flyer fans would buy a Richards jersey whereas a non-Caps or Pens fan would buy a Crosby or Ovechkin jersey.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 08:39 PM
mm6492

Richards is not overrated
He is not underrated.

He is one of those players who seems to be rated perfectly

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:46 PM
MsWoof

I'm with a lot of others who say he's rated perfectly. Earlier this year I thought he and Carter were both overrated because sports reporters and announcers always seem to think one season back so they still thought he was a short handed goal machine and that Carter was a 46 goal scorer. Richie still isn't potting many shorties but he's playing very well, and Carter is pushing his way towards 40 goals.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:47 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Richards was one of the stars of Team Canada! Carter would have made the team if another forward had been hurt but he barely missed out.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 09:53 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
I'm with a lot of others who say he's rated perfectly. Earlier this year I thought he and Carter were both overrated because sports reporters and announcers always seem to think one season back so they still thought he was a short handed goal machine and that Carter was a 46 goal scorer. Richie still isn't potting many shorties but he's playing very well, and Carter is pushing his way towards 40 goals.
I think the shorties have declined due to Betts arrival and a different approach on the PK.

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Richards and Carter bring different things to the table. Canada wanted a player to center a shut down line and excell on the pk, both of which Richards is better than Carter at. Carter is a better scorer, no doubt, but he wasn't a better scorer than the 6-8 guys Canada chose to be on their PP and top 2 scoring lines, which is why he was not on the team.

Btw, Richards had a really good olympics, fyi.
Didn't Richards primarily play wing? I watched the olympics and I think Carter would have brought more to the Canadian team than Richards did. I think Richards had a good tournament and was better than Thronton, Getzlaf and Bergeron. I am not saying Richards should not have played - I'm just saying that Carter is a better player and is more underrated. I wasn't aware there was a specific reason stated by Yzerman as to why Carter wasn't chosen and Richards was.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:07 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I think he's rated highly and fairly. He is a guy who will defend against the opposition's toughest forwards, net you about 30-40-70 every year (if you give him some pp time), scrap sometimes, throw big hits, and kill penalties. That's a hell of a forward and everyone that I hear says as much.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:32 AM
dookie88

Quote:
If anybody on the Flyers is underrated I think it's Carter. He has really become a complete player. He is excellent defensively, skates great, uses his size, scores a ton of goals, kills penalties, etc. He is hands down the best forward on the team
But but but he's lazy!

Quote:
Richards goes to the Olympics? I think Carter would have made Canada a better team than Richards did (and I am a very big fan of Richards). Just my opinion.
Disagree.
While Carter is better offensively, there was already plenty of that on Team Canada. Richards was a constant pain in the ass for the opposition. Without knowing the stats, I'm quite confident that he led the team in hits. He's been throwing his weight around like crazy on the forecheck.

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:59 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I do like how Giroux is #20. Also Fluery is top 5? REALLLY?
Well he did just win them a cup and most of their fans don't have a jersey yet since hockey didn't exist before 2007, so that seems natural to me.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 03:48 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Thanks for all the opinions on this, maybe my original perception was due to the limited nhl media in england, or just bias! On a further note i was pretty furious carter didnt get on canada, especially after the numbers he put up in the weeks before the olympics, but i supose getzlaf played pretty well.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote