HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues (32-28-9) at Rangers (31-30-9) Thur Mar 18

Old
03-18-2010, 09:40 PM
Sniper
It's learning...

vCash: 500
Anyone else wierded out by Walt and Conk's post-game hug? (On the NY feed)

Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Robb_K

Nice to get the win, but they should have won by 5 or 6 goals. I can't remember so many breakaways and being alone in front of the net and not sinking it.

This just points up the fact that despite the infusion of young offensive talent, The Blues need a significant amount of additional skill.

I can understand Crombeen not scoring (although he had the best chance)-just less skill. But, how did Backes not bury it on at least one of his three great chances?

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 09:43 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Backes, Oshie, and Weaver were fantastic. Jax and Polak were good too. Pretty solid defensive game. It didn't seem like the lines weren't quite clicking tonight offensively. Payne coached that game conservatively IMO. Conklin looked shaky but a win's a win.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:11 PM
The Grouch
Enraged

Jackman and Weaver looked amazing. Weaver is starting to assert himself as a real bad arse! Kariya has 6 Goals and 5 Assists in his last 10 games.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:38 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
Why? Are you closeted or something?

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:44 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Grouch View Post
Jackman and Weaver looked amazing. Weaver is starting to assert himself as a real bad arse! Kariya has 6 Goals and 5 Assists in his last 10 games.
Kariya has been a little more healthy (recovered from his surgery) than earlier in this season, it seems, from watching his play. But, I wouldn't let that, and his better play, convince me that he'd be worth signing (unless it's done for $2 million per year or less AND only because no other halfway decent UFA scoring forward wants to sign with The Blues for ANY amount of money). Kariya MUST play well to try to get a contract with some team for next year. Thus, he MUST try his hardest now. He's lost A LOT in the past few years. He doesn't have enough left to score enough for The Blues to make it worth their while to have him take up space on a scoring line.

Better to replace him with a younger scoring forward, who is more of a sniper than a set-up man. Someone who will play hard every shift, in all zones, and play more physically. I would have liked Hossa or Heatly. But their availability is long gone. Marleau would be nice. But, I doubt that The Blues will be able to sign him.

I just hope they aren't desperate enough for a veteran scorer to need to re-sign Paul.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:19 AM
MissouriBlues2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
if now isn't the time to push for the playoffs, I don't know what is. Avatar adjusted.
Your Tkachuk still has all of his teeth.

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:23 AM
The Grouch
Enraged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Kariya has been a little more healthy (recovered from his surgery) than earlier in this season, it seems, from watching his play. But, I wouldn't let that, and his better play, convince me that he'd be worth signing (unless it's done for $2 million per year or less AND only because no other halfway decent UFA scoring forward wants to sign with The Blues for ANY amount of money). Kariya MUST play well to try to get a contract with some team for next year. Thus, he MUST try his hardest now. He's lost A LOT in the past few years. He doesn't have enough left to score enough for The Blues to make it worth their while to have him take up space on a scoring line.

Better to replace him with a younger scoring forward, who is more of a sniper than a set-up man. Someone who will play hard every shift, in all zones, and play more physically. I would have liked Hossa or Heatly. But their availability is long gone. Marleau would be nice. But, I doubt that The Blues will be able to sign him.

I just hope they aren't desperate enough for a veteran scorer to need to re-sign Paul.
I completely agree. It's time to move on from Kariya.

The Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:44 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
I'm fully prepared to watch Kariya have a resurgence next year on someone else's team.

I want Weaver on my team next year. He won't be playing tons of minutes, but he's a steady veteran guy who doesn't make mental mistakes, and can do a masterful job on the PK. Trying to come up with some pairings, maybe:

EJ - Brewer (not my favorite, but allows the others to work)
Pietro - Jackman
Polak - Weaver (the new shut-down line)
Strachan

Peoria: Junland and Cole (unless one of them can beat out Pietro or Strachan, but I'd rather have Strachan sitting as the 7th guy than one of these guys missing development time).

I'm glad the players still think they can make the playoffs. There are other teams that are mathematically alive who you can tell have already given up. I don't think they can make it, but I'm glad I get to watch games where the Blues are still putting it all out there.

How great would it be to play a 7 game series against the Rangers? I love playing them. Its always an exciting game.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 03:26 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I'm glad the players still think they can make the playoffs. There are other teams that are mathematically alive who you can tell have already given up. I don't think they can make it, but I'm glad I get to watch games where the Blues are still putting it all out there.
They need at least 18 of their remaining 24 points, possibly more. I think if they end up with 93 points, that's something to be proud of, and it gives them a shot. But probably only if they beat Detroit (and possibly Nashville) in every remaining game. Detroit's schedule is a lot easier than the Blues', so those games are going to be make or break for them. Love seeing the drive, too.

I agree about Weaver, too. I think he's proven himself, and unless the Blues acquire a serious defensive upgrade, they're going to try hard to keep him.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

If we can get PK for under 3mil, perferably 2mil, I'd love to see him stick around. Great player, veteran and knows how it feels to be pressured and have that weight on your shoulders, being a former player that was once compared to Gretzkey(think I heard that somewhere). Besides, I've always been a big fan of his and it's kick ass to see him on our team.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:51 PM
ChicagoBlues

I think it is amazing that Kariya has had very sub-par seasons with The Blues, yet STILL has scored more than one point per game across his career. If he was "healthy" and performed in his usual way, then we'd start to talk about HOF. Not that he'd get in, but at least he'd be in the conversation as a possible inductee.

--------------------------

The Blues chances of making the playoffs are about as good as they were last season at this time.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:11 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

vCash: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriBlues2008 View Post
Your Tkachuk still has all of his teeth.
its his PR face.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:18 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

vCash: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I'm fully prepared to watch Kariya have a resurgence next year on someone else's team.

I want Weaver on my team next year. He won't be playing tons of minutes, but he's a steady veteran guy who doesn't make mental mistakes, and can do a masterful job on the PK. Trying to come up with some pairings, maybe:

EJ - Brewer (not my favorite, but allows the others to work)
Pietro - Jackman
Polak - Weaver (the new shut-down line)
Strachan

Peoria: Junland and Cole (unless one of them can beat out Pietro or Strachan, but I'd rather have Strachan sitting as the 7th guy than one of these guys missing development time).

How great would it be to play a 7 game series against the Rangers? I love playing them. Its always an exciting game.
I honestly hate that top line

EJ - Jackman
Polak - Brewer
Petro - Weaver
Strachan

too many righty's. I would prefer to pair Brewer with Weaver mostly because I trust Weaver defensively and Brewer not so much.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 02:27 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
I honestly hate that top line

EJ - Jackman
Polak - Brewer
Petro - Weaver
Strachan

too many righty's. I would prefer to pair Brewer with Weaver mostly because I trust Weaver defensively and Brewer not so much.
I agree and I wanted to separate Brewer and EJ, but the left/right-hand shot became an issue, and who to put with Pietro while leaving a shut-down line also seemed tricky.

EJ-Jackman (or EJ-Polak) is a good top line, if you ignore the handedness.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:27 PM
MissouriBlues2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper View Post
No worse than Winchester (I think it was) giving Conklin a lapdance in Sweden.

MissouriBlues2008 is offline   Reply With Quote