HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs win 3-2 in SO

Old
03-20-2010, 10:03 PM
CaZn0

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
He's produced half the season with NO ONE on his line. Andrei Kostitsyn has been poor for most of the year, with the exception of one hot streak.

When you think of a top-6 center, don't you think he should be allowed to have one good winger to produce?
a Center should dictate the way his wingers are playing. When i'm seeing Akost trying to be so defensive, that to me, means the center is not doing his job well.

That is all.

CaZn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
m00ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Again, let's take it easy here. What's Burke done to deserve a whole lot of praise? I know it's only his first season but right now he has a team sitting 29th without a first round pick for the next two years. You don't think Gainey or Gauthier or whoever wouldn't be ripped to shreds if that was the Habs' situation? If these young guys on the Leafs turn out to be a core that can compete consistently in the playoffs I'll tip my hat to Burke and all will be forgotten but right now? Nope, not yet.
The funny part is that both Gainey and Burke essentially took the same expedited "rebuild" road with very different outcomes. You could even argue that Gainey was in more of a predicament since he technically had less assets to retool given our UFA situation at the time. For all the flack Gainey got, Burke's getting way too much praise.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Megaforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
'Cause it's about comparing talent that will or might eventually play in the NHL. Pretty sure you can do that without only going by stats in the AHL can you?

But I know.....it's much easier to read the stats column and predict that a guy will dominate the higher leagues just like he's doing in the inferior one. We all know that AHL stats translates so well in the bigs all the time....

Don't believe Trotter have the strength, speed and size to play in the NHL? But yet you do 'cause he has some nice stats.....Not sure what's more dumbazziest....

Bozak was CLEARLY a guy in demand when it was time to sign. Were they that many teams in line for Trotter? Mind you, I'm not disrespecting what he has done in the AHL, it's way more than I thought he would. But the TOPIC was about translating that in higher league and I don't believe he can while the other has already proved that.

But it's not over. Trotter can prove me wrong. And if not with us, probably with a worst team......
Fabian Brunnstrom was wanted by a lot of teams too, being wanted does not make you a great player.

Tyler Bozak has 7 goals this season playing on Toronto's top line. I would assert that Trotter would have banged in quite a few alongside Gionta and Gomez.

Anyway Trotter might not be as good as Bozak, but it's pretty random to complain about something like this, we've got tons of talented players in our pipeline.

Megaforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
Didn't they make Bozak an offer around the same time they signed Trotter and he didn't accept?
Possible. Think 25 teams made an offer or something. Still, it's not about the effort but the end result. Pretty clear that a whole lot of our efforts are put towards the American market, the market we've been drafted the most since Timmins arrival in 2003. It has to pay off at some point. No results yet. Surely, MaxPac, Leblanc and Kristo are about to bring results to the table. But they're not there yet.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaforce View Post
Fabian Brunnstrom was wanted by a lot of teams too, being wanted does not make you a great player.

Tyler Bozak has 7 goals this season playing on Toronto's top line. I would assert that Trotter would have banged in quite a few alongside Gionta and Gomez.

Anyway Trotter might not be as good as Bozak, but it's pretty random to complain about something like this, we've got tons of talented players in our pipeline.
Point that I'm making is above this response. I can't wait to see significant results from the market we've been most interested in in the past 7 years. Yes, we're about to have results with Kristo, Leblanc and MaxPac. But as of yet, we don't.

Old
03-20-2010, 10:05 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertFlasher View Post
Leaf fan here coming in peace. First off, great game tonight by the Habs. With alittle better luck they could have won in regulation. The PP was a bit of an abreviation tonight but I do believe that it'll come around in the playoffs. As to your post, we believe this time will be different with this new look Leafs team. Younger, faster, smarter, and hungrier than those veterans that shipped out by Burke. All the things we were not in those previous years. The complacency and sense of entitlement has been removed. The whole philosopy is different. Now, in Toronto you have to earn your ice-time and your roster spot, unlike before when veteran fat cats were simply penciled in. I have no problem predicting 5th spot for next year for this new bunch.
8th, but I agree

we'll be 6th-7th and Subban will be rookie of the year

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:07 PM
habtastic

This OT loss has made me not want to play NHL10 tonight and sure as hell not go out drinking amongst leaf fans. I wish there was a new parks and rec to watch.

Old
03-20-2010, 10:09 PM
money bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
8th, but I agree

we'll be 6th-7th and Subban will be rookie of the year
8th? We'll take that and run!

money bags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Leaf fan here coming in peace. First off, great game tonight by the Habs. With alittle better luck they could have won in regulation. The PP was a bit of an abreviation tonight but I do believe that it'll come around in the playoffs. As to your post, we believe this time will be different with this new look Leafs team. Younger, faster, smarter, and hungrier than those veterans that shipped out by Burke. All the things we were not in those previous years. The complacency and sense of entitlement has been removed. The whole philosopy is different. Now, in Toronto you have to earn your ice-time and your roster spot, unlike before when veteran fat cats were simply penciled in. I have no problem predicting 5th spot for next year for this new bunch.
Something I noticed is that Kulemin is slowly but surely becoming a force. You see that confidence is starting to kick in and I'm not solely talking about the game tonight. I've seen him a few times this year. Great kid for you down the road. And patience was key....probably the same patience that should have used for Alex Steen.....

Old
03-20-2010, 10:15 PM
Megaforce

Quote:
Point that I'm making is above this response. I can't wait to see significant results from the market we've been most interested in in the past 7 years. Yes, we're about to have results with Kristo, Leblanc and MaxPac. But as of yet, we don't.
Your point, the same one you're backing off now from is that Bozak = Wayne Gretzky and Brock Trotter = Garth Murray.

A bit early to be making such a judgment, particularly when Trotter is a year younger (the other ones you mentioned even younger than that) and Trotter, in particular, has been massively exceeding expectations. The guy has been a scoring machine and in this forum where the dogmatic mantra is to dominate the AHL before you're allowed to sniff an NHL jockstrap, he's exactly where he should be. You're misdirecting your venom by picking on Trotter of all people.

Old
03-20-2010, 10:16 PM
money bags

Quote:
Something I noticed is that Kulemin is slowly but surely becoming a force. You see that confidence is starting to kick in and I'm not solely talking about the game tonight. I've seen him a few times this year. Great kid for you down the road. And patience was key....probably the same patience that should have used for Alex Steen.....
The thing about Koolie is that he's deceptively big. He's 248 lbs but looks smaller so guys aren't expecting him to be so strong. I can't believe he scored in the SO because he only has one shot, blocker side and uses it every time. Halat guessed right, but somehow it had eyes. Easily the most improved player this year on the Leafs.

Old
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

Bozak's only played 27 games though, and along with those 7 goals, he has 21 points. 21 points in 27 games as a rookie is pretty darn impressive if you ask me. I don't think Trotter could have done that.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
habtastic

Quote:
8th? We'll take that and run!
but you just said you were sure you'd be 5th. You really are a Leafs fan.

A pizza delivery guy saw my Habs flag when I was paying and he said he might have to charge "Habs tax" for having to deal with the mental stress of looking at that. Was ill-timed as I was writing down the tip for the bill.

Old
03-20-2010, 10:21 PM
money bags

Quote:
but you just said you were sure you'd be 5th. You really are a Leafs fan.

A pizza delivery guy saw my Habs flag when I was paying and he said he might have to charge "Habs tax" for having to deal with the mental stress of looking at that. Was ill-timed as I was writing down the tip for the bill.
True and blue. After the past 5 years of futility, 8th spot would be an achievement. Bon appetite!

Old
03-20-2010, 10:22 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Your point, the same one you're backing off now from is that Bozak = Wayne Gretzky and Brock Trotter = Garth Murray.

A bit early to be making such a judgment, particularly when Trotter is a year younger (the other ones you mentioned even younger than that) and Trotter, in particular, has been massively exceeding expectations. The guy has been a scoring machine and in this forum where the dogmatic mantra is to dominate the AHL before you're allowed to sniff an NHL jockstrap, he's exactly where he should be. You're misdirecting your venom by picking on Trotter of all people.
hahaha, just the trotter comparison made me LOL

Wasn't GM's number 57? If so, we've upgraded in that dept. although he fell into that category of callups who played very well at the beginning then faded quickly. Amongst those off the top of my head and from recent years:

Dagostini and Stewart

Those that will be here to stay:
Pyatt
White
Trotski
PK (duh)
I'm hoping Desharnais, but if the St. Louis comparisons are right, he's going to need a half decade to become dominant, including getting traded away for nothing

Someone I'm deeply worried about:
Maxwell

Old
03-20-2010, 10:24 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaZn0 View Post
a Center should dictate the way his wingers are playing. When i'm seeing Akost trying to be so defensive, that to me, means the center is not doing his job well.

That is all.
To sugget that AK is playing defensive because Tomas Plekanec is not defensively responsible (not the fact that JM is teaching...no...forcing AK to backcheck) is something I expect Glen Healy to say.

That is all.

Old
03-20-2010, 10:25 PM
Westcoasthabsfan

I have been reading all this talk about how Burke has done a great job etc.... I dont see the Leafs doing much next year either as they still dont have anyone who can consistently score other than Kessel... And dont tell me Kadri is going to come in and light up the board because I dont think he is all that great.....

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:28 PM
CaZn0

Quote:
To sugget that AK is playing defensive because Tomas Plekanec is not defensively responsible (not the fact that JM is teaching...no...forcing AK to backcheck) is something I expect Glen Healy to say.

That is all.
To sugget that i said that Plakanec is not defensively responsible, is being completely ignorant.

CaZn0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:29 PM
Megaforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Bozak's only played 27 games though, and along with those 7 goals, he has 21 points. 21 points in 27 games as a rookie is pretty darn impressive if you ask me. I don't think Trotter could have done that.
I can't give you a profound evaluation of either player but Trotter might do as well s Bozak if he was given the icetime on a line with Kessell, who is so good that there could be a Rob Brown thing going on with anybody who plays on his line. (Rob Brown being, like Kevin Stevens, a superstar when on Mario Lemieux's line but an AHLer when away from Lemieux).

I just don't understand why on earth a poster would come here to randomly scapegoat Brock Trotter who has been having a great season in the Habs system. This is Daliesque in its abstract logic, sorry but I just can't grasp the subtle brilliance of your arcane hockey interpretations.

Old
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
I have been reading all this talk about how Burke has done a great job etc.... I dont see the Leafs doing much next year either as they still dont have anyone who can consistently score other than Kessel... And dont tell me Kadri is going to come in and light up the board because I dont think he is all that great.....
I reiterate that I would like nothing more than for the status quo with the Leafs, but I think the Phaneuf + Giguere trade (all thanks to previous ties that Burke has really used to his advantage even in previous ones with the Leafs) has changed things AND they do seem poised to redeem themselves big time. Then again coming near last, it's not hard to improve off of that. I'm afraid Kadri is actually the real deal all though as I said we have Subban to counter. Just have to hope Kadri lets his inner Habs fan get the better of him and lead the league in own goals (I know PK is from Toronto, although he's never been that vocal about being a leafs fan AFAIK, even though it's probably the case).

Old
TheBuriedHab

God after 1 game people are crying we didnt get Bozak? Seriously? 1. Toronto is attractive to any youngster 2. Toronto could offer him alot more playing time than the habs.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:30 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaZn0 View Post
To sugget that i said that Plakanec is not defensively responsible, is being completely ignorant.
sorry, please correct me. What are you saying?

Old
03-20-2010, 10:33 PM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

vCash: 50
calm down.. guys we just lost 1 yes its toronto and it SUCKS but still we are doing very good 6 out of 7.. and all this stuff like OH WE SUCK and stuff calm down..

99GoHabsGo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:33 PM
thetrueblack

A Kost, poor again. Can't produce without two good players beside him it seems. Not doing anything for Plekanec. Sergei again looked better than bro. Someone has the bench to get the pp going w/MAB, maybe Lapierre, though Darche blew this game.

Most of the team looked slow and thinking ahead to Ottawa, Buff, NJ. Top line kind of held their own when on the puck; everyone else got outworked. Pathetic to hand those losers 2 points, irregardless of the draft pick fiasco. On to Ottawa - which I think will be a much better test (along with the tougher stretch) of what this team is made of.

edit: I'm pretty sure PK is a Habs fan from early age.

thetrueblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:40 PM
habtastic

I find it hard to digest that we need MAB that badly on the PP. Of course he's a weapon for one big reason, but it seems like the other players, aside from the one who would be in MABs position, we're also just sucking big time. Couldn't backdoor it. Couldn't shoot from the slot. Couldn't shoot from the circle. None of our D could get a slapshot on net from the point? Even a wrister do get deflected? That's pretty pathetic. I don't think we should need MAB to be effective on the PP, especially with Cammy back, but I guess it's evident that our D just sucks at shooting, which is not the case for most teams (they at least have more than one person who can hit the net). Spacek...I'm looking at you, even though you have improved defensively.

Moot point I suppose, cuz MAB will be back, but I suppose the argument to put AK on the point for at least one of the five pps that we failed on could have been made. We were not moving the puck well tonight. MAB or no MAB (actually more imp IF we have MAB and don't want shorties) we have to do that better.