HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tkachuk Comments

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-19-2010, 05:53 AM
  #1
mikenelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to mikenelson
Tkachuk Comments

Quote:
NEW YORK -- As Keith Tkachuk nears the end of his 18th NHL season, the St. Louis Blues' graying, grizzled veteran is wondering if he's nearing or perhaps even at the end of his playing career.

"There are always times when you think, and you think a lot," Tkachuk, who will turn 38 on March 28, said Thursday from Madison Square Garden. "I have some thoughts running through my mind. You just get older and you're not the same as what you used to be. It gets a lot harder and guys are bigger, stronger and faster."

If Tkachuk has made up his mind regarding his future, he's not telling. Asked to reveal what he thinks he might do -- play another season or hang up his skates, Tkachuk said, "My future is now, buddy."

The Blues are facing a difficult road to get into the playoffs, but Tkachuk is confident his team can make a run. No matter what happens, he knows he'll be at a crossroads soon. He's scheduled to become an unrestricted free agent July 1.

"Either way we'll make a decision after the season fairly quickly, but I'm hoping we're playing in the playoffs and making a run," Tkachuk said. "I'll be 38 next week and whatever happens after the season, you'll know one way or the other."
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=521873

MOD EDIT: to fit into copyright rules


Last edited by WalterSobchak: 03-19-2010 at 01:07 PM. Reason: copyright
mikenelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:10 PM
  #2
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,073
vCash: 500
That to me does sound like he is leaning towards hanging them up, which is a shame.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:18 PM
  #3
Overkamp
Registered User
 
Overkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,416
vCash: 500
Pang and Kelly just said on NHL Network that Tkachuk's parents are attending the last Blues home and said "Not to put words in Walts mouth, but I believe it is his last season"

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:18 PM
  #4
ChicagoBlues
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 5,408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
That to me does sound like he is leaning towards hanging them up, which is a shame.
I know. He's been awesome this season. A great teammate. With the exception of his jelly belly season, I have no complaints with Walt. And even when he was Krispy Kreme King he still put up a good amount of points.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:48 PM
  #5
Celtic Note
Not in Ferguson
 
Celtic Note's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 8,817
vCash: 500
I will miss Walt. He was a great player, but I believe he is done. Hopefully he stays in the organization.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 07:14 PM
  #6
mikenelson
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to mikenelson
I personally think that Keith will end up like Al has with the team, more coach maybe a coach in, maybe have him replace Bennett??

mikenelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 02:31 AM
  #7
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,959
vCash: 133
I don't expect Walt to have any official capacity with the team...at least not for a few years. He seems like a guy that knows he's playing his last season. I expect him to spend more time coaching his kids' teams than anything to do with the NHL.

Assuming he's done, does Walt have any shot at getting a statue outside the arena? Who's next after Hull?

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:59 AM
  #8
General Veers
Registered User
 
General Veers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 1,951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenelson View Post
I personally think that Keith will end up like Al has with the team, more coach maybe a coach in, maybe have him replace Bennett??
Sweet username! I'm so glad Mike is still doing his thing at Rifftrax even though MST3K was killed.


As for Walt...he's given a lot to entertain us, but I think he's done. I'm ready to see Eller in his spot (on the roster, not the lineup). Like 2MM said, don't expect him back in an official capacity. At least not right away. He doesn't strike me as someone who would want to help behind the bench, maybe he could consult?
I don't believe he deserves a statue downtown, either. No offense, but doing so would lower the pedigree.

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:13 PM
  #9
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol
 
WalterSobchak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,073
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I don't expect Walt to have any official capacity with the team...at least not for a few years. He seems like a guy that knows he's playing his last season. I expect him to spend more time coaching his kids' teams than anything to do with the NHL.

Assuming he's done, does Walt have any shot at getting a statue outside the arena? Who's next after Hull?
I still say Pronger. I don't know if Walt is a shoe-in for the HOF but I'd say Pronger will get in.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:21 PM
  #10
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,959
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Veers View Post
Sweet username! I'm so glad Mike is still doing his thing at Rifftrax even though MST3K was killed.


As for Walt...he's given a lot to entertain us, but I think he's done. I'm ready to see Eller in his spot (on the roster, not the lineup). Like 2MM said, don't expect him back in an official capacity. At least not right away. He doesn't strike me as someone who would want to help behind the bench, maybe he could consult?
I don't believe he deserves a statue downtown, either. No offense, but doing so would lower the pedigree.
Yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts too (no statue), but I do appreciate how loyal Walt has been....and how good he's been about filling any role in the line-up he's asked to do. I haven't sensed any curtail in his effort (just his speed and ability) as he's finished out these last couple years. I'm often surprised at how physical he is this season, still laying out big hits fairly regularly.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 01:53 PM
  #11
Overkamp
Registered User
 
Overkamp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobchak View Post
I still say Pronger. I don't know if Walt is a shoe-in for the HOF but I'd say Pronger will get in.
Tkachuk will be a HOF'er.

I also think Walt will get a statue given that he's made St. Louis his home and what he'll continue to do in the community.

If Federko would have moved away from St. Louis after his career, would he have a statue? Probably not. (I do realize he played almost every year of his career with the Blues)

It won't be immediate but likely in the next five years or so.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 02:45 PM
  #12
SteenMachine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Fenton, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 4,162
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts too (no statue), but I do appreciate how loyal Walt has been....and how good he's been about filling any role in the line-up he's asked to do. I haven't sensed any curtail in his effort (just his speed and ability) as he's finished out these last couple years. I'm often surprised at how physical he is this season, still laying out big hits fairly regularly.
Yeah he's actually been impressive to watch in a bottom six role; he's had some of the most devastating forchecking hits on the team this year. Of course with that check on Hasek back in the day, I guess everyone should know better than to put themselves on the boards when Big Walt comes down the ice.

SteenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:03 PM
  #13
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!
 
bluemandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
I don't expect Walt to have any official capacity with the team...at least not for a few years. He seems like a guy that knows he's playing his last season. I expect him to spend more time coaching his kids' teams than anything to do with the NHL.

Assuming he's done, does Walt have any shot at getting a statue outside the arena? Who's next after Hull?
I'm going with Brain Sutter.

Do you think everyone with a retired number should get a statue?

And should every HHoFer get their number retired?

Who deserves to have their name above the #7 in the rafters: Tkachuk or Unger?

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 07:34 PM
  #14
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemandan View Post
I'm going with Brain Sutter.

Do you think everyone with a retired number should get a statue?

And should every HHoFer get their number retired?

Who deserves to have their name above the #7 in the rafters: Tkachuk or Unger?
Red Berenson

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 07:44 PM
  #15
Bluesfreak74*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 156
vCash: 500
Walt doesn't deserve his # in the rafters or a statue IMO.

Bluesfreak74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:49 PM
  #16
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!
 
bluemandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Red Berenson


Well played Robb_K, well played indeed.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.