HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

#71: Flyers @ Thrashers - March 20, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
03-20-2010, 10:54 PM
HoverCarle*

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
hopefully if we end up missing the playoffs or getting swept, Hartnell or Briere may be easier to sawy to waive their NTCs

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:59 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1118
Since it is a home and home series, we'll keep this GDT active.

The GDT for Sunday night's game will be posted in the morning.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Mr Oysterhead

Getting rid of Briere and adding two defensively sound, energy forwards would do a lot for this team.

I like Briere but he's frustrating as hell and his contract sucks. Ditching him needs to be a top priority this offseason, imo.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:02 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I do find it funny that when Boosh lets in 5 goals, tons of excuses get flying around.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:09 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I'll never cease to be amazed at how people frame observable realities as... "excuses."

Gagne struggled for a long time after coming back from his various problems because he just wasn't ready to compete at the level of everyone around him. Slowly you could see him getting his legs back under him and, voila, suddenly he's started to become an effective player again.

It's the hardest league in the ****ing world, and you expect a guy to be able to walk out there cold without many minutes logged in game action during the part of the season when the level of play begins to really ramp up and have great, consistent success?

It's asking too much. It's not excuses...it's the reality. They didn't trust Boucher enough to give 'em starts when he was a "luxury item" on the bench, and now they have to ride him as far as he'll take 'em... hopefully he snorts some of the pixie dust Leighton has his hands on, and then we'll see what happens.
Maybe if he was good enough, he wouldn't have been waiting months on end to start games. Now we're in a situation

Quote:
Yeah, cuz he struggled when he had to go out there in March after riding the pine all year.
Ok well, you keep bringing up that run with the Sharks. He did go 7-0 in those games. Only 2 of those games were against teams who made the playoffs. So, it was somewhat hollow. I know you play who you play, but as I said, when you play for the best team in the league, they'll make you look good especially when playing bad teams.

Quote:
Well, at least we're rational.
It's only the truth. I mean let's call a spade a spade here. What happened in-between those times? Lost his job on two teams to washouts. Ended up on waivers. AHL-only contract. He caught two lucky breaks since then. You're banking on catching a blue moon here.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I do find it funny that when Boosh lets in 5 goals, tons of excuses get flying around.
Not so funny if you go back to November when I was fuming over them overplaying Emery (we can also talk about the injury risk discussion at that time), and not giving Boucher the necessary games to keep him sharp.

You may not buy it, but having him sit around for all this time didn't exactly prepare him for success at his current task.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:10 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

Missed the game because I was blacked out today, highlights look bad.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Maybe if he was good enough, he wouldn't have been waiting months on end to start games. Now we're in a situation.
What exactly did Boucher do to get panned here other than hurting his thumb?

Quote:
Ok well, you keep bringing up that run with the Sharks. He did go 7-0 in those games. Only 2 of those games were against teams who made the playoffs. So, it was somewhat hollow. I know you play who you play, but as I said, when you play for the best team in the league, they'll make you look good especially when playing bad teams.
A goalie can look awful behind the best team in the league...and great behind the worst team in the league.

Quote:
It's only the truth. I mean let's call a spade a spade here. What happened in-between those times? Lost his job on two teams to washouts. Ended up on waivers. AHL-only contract. He caught two lucky breaks since then. You're banking on catching a blue moon here.
A bunch of non-predictive events that doesn't tell you whether he's good enough or not good enough today. He was perfectly adequate when he had to fill in when Emery originally went down.

Old
03-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Cristobal Huet says hi. Just saying. I find it funny that you were talking about excuses earlier, but writing off all of his success with the Sharks as nothing sounds like one big excuse.

Boucher hasn't been given a fair shake at all. He was given playing time during out streak from hell that got our old coach fired. Considering it was the streak from hell and our whole team sucked his stats weren't that good. Then he hurt himself which. Then Leighton came in and the team started playing well again. Since then he's never really been given another chance to start. He played well in Dallas and, once again, the entire team in front of him was really, really bad this game (2 goals scored and every goal against was a defensive fail).

I fail to see how he was given any sort of a fair chance at all this season. At least nowhere near the same kind of chance that Leighton got.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:23 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
You realize that Bryzgalov was a waiver pickup and that Leighton himself was a waiver pickup, right? The only reason Leighton even has an NHL job anymore is because he got a "lucky break".

Old
03-20-2010, 11:28 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1118
These quotes are disconcerting and oozing with frustration.

http://www.printthis.clickability.co...6&cid=88744677

Quote:
"They played with more passion and desperation than we did," defenseman Chris Pronger said. "We can't be a 'sometimes' team. We've got to be an all-the-time team; we've got to play with energy and excitement . . .. When we don't come with that excitement level, we're not very good."

Colby Armstrong, a player the Flyers coveted at the trade deadline, scored two goals to lead the Thrashers.

Pronger, whose team remained fifth in the East despite the loss, was asked whether he was surprised that the Flyers were flat after an impressive comeback win Thursday in Dallas.

"Not really. That seems to be our M.O," he said. "We haven't been able to get any consistency through the course of the season. We're getting down to the nitty-gritty. We need to find it."

Quote:
Pronger said Boucher couldn't be faulted because the Thrashers were "getting backdoor tap-ins, and guys were able to just whack away at loose pucks. We've got to come [tonight against visiting Atlanta] with a burr up our butt, and mentally and physically be ready to battle."

Boucher would "make a stop and maybe even a second one, but when third and fourth guys are left standing alone in front of our net, it makes it tough," coach Peter Laviolette said.

Johan Hedberg, a ninth-round pick of the Flyers in the 1994 draft, made a key save on Scott Hartnell in front to keep the Thrashers ahead, 4-2, with 7 minutes, 55 seconds remaining.

Laviolette was puzzled over why the Flyers didn't match the Thrashers' intensity.

"You can talk the talk; ultimately, though, it comes down to how you walk. And they walked with a pretty good swagger and a pretty good pace tonight," he said. "We played like it was just another game."

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:34 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
You realize that Bryzgalov was a waiver pickup and that Leighton himself was a waiver pickup, right? The only reason Leighton even has an NHL job anymore is because he got a "lucky break".
Bryzgalov is a poor example for this discussion because he was a cap casualty waiver pickup...as opposed to a "he sucks" waiver pickup.

Old
03-20-2010, 11:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Cristobal Huet says hi. Just saying. I find it funny that you were talking about excuses earlier, but writing off all of his success with the Sharks as nothing sounds like one big excuse.

Boucher hasn't been given a fair shake at all. He was given playing time during out streak from hell that got our old coach fired. Considering it was the streak from hell and our whole team sucked his stats weren't that good. Then he hurt himself which. Then Leighton came in and the team started playing well again. Since then he's never really been given another chance to start. He played well in Dallas and, once again, the entire team in front of him was really, really bad this game (2 goals scored and every goal against was a defensive fail).

I fail to see how he was given any sort of a fair chance at all this season. At least nowhere near the same kind of chance that Leighton got.
And Huet sucks too. He was overrated in Montreal (moreso because Garon flamed out in LA, and because, well, it was Montreal). He parlayed a decent playoff into a retarded contract.

When Boucher was starting in December, it probably wasn't a fair shake, but he didn't help is cause. In turn, Laviolette didn't trust him. As I said many times, you shouldn't have anyone on your NHL roster you don't trust (sadly, Holmgren left himself no alternative). And it could cost us points, even if Boucher does become more consistent.

Quote:
Bryzgalov was a waiver pickup for a different reason. Bryzgalov was on waivers because Brian Burke was keeping his word to give him a chance to start and Jonas Hiller somewhere to play because Burke believed Bryzgalov deserved an opportunity to start, and wasn't going to get it behind JS Giguere (while Hiller was fine with backing him up until his time came). That's not why Leighton was on waivers, and it's not why Leighton was claimed off waivers. They struck gold and got lucky with Leighton, and the clock struck midnight in Nashville. Now it's Boucher holding the bag.

Quote:
A bunch of non-predictive events that doesn't tell you whether he's good enough or not good enough today. He was perfectly adequate when he had to fill in when Emery originally went down.
I refer to earlier in my post for the first two points. What non-predictive events? The only thing you can't predict is when those runs are coming. Ask Arturs Irbe how that works.

Old
03-20-2010, 11:41 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
And Huet sucks too. He was overrated in Montreal (moreso because Garon flamed out in LA). He parlayed a decent playoff into a retarded contract.

That's my point. You were writing off any and all success Boucher had in San Jose as playing behind a good team, but meanwhile there's goalies like Huet out there that still manage to post crappy stats and play like total crap behind other Cup contenders.

When Boucher was starting in December, it probably wasn't a fair shake, but he didn't help is cause. In turn, Laviolette didn't trust him. As I said many times, you shouldn't have anyone on your NHL roster you don't trust (sadly, Holmgren left himself no alternative). And it could cost us points, even if Boucher does become more consistent.

I don't think anyone is arguing that we shouldn't have signed Boucher as our backup. That's not the point that I'm arguing and I'm relatively sure that it isn't the point that Jester is arguing.

Bryzgalov was a waiver pickup for a different reason. Bryzgalov was on waivers because Brian Burke was keeping his word to give him a chance to start and Jonas Hiller somewhere to play because Burke believed Bryzgalov deserved an opportunity to start, and wasn't going to get it behind JS Giguere (while Hiller was fine with backing him up until his time came). That's not why Leighton was on waivers, and it's not why Leighton was claimed off waivers. They struck gold and got lucky with Leighton, and the clock struck midnight in Nashville. Now it's Boucher holding the bag.

That's also not the point. Maybe I'm not educated enough on Boucher's career, because I haven't been around that long, but you were basically saying that because Boucher has been a put through waivers a couple of times, that's what he is. A waiver-wire kind of guy. You called it calling a spade a spade. I just don't see how any of that **** affects the situation now, especially when the goalie he's replacing was himself a waiver-wire pickup who looked to have no future in the NHL (and the guy that Leighton replaced was a man who was exiled to the KHL).
Case in point, look at those quotes MSE posted. Pronger and Laviolette themselves admitted that Boosh had nothing to do with the loss. He made all the initial saves, exactly like Leighton does, and he tried his best on all of them. He did perfectly fine. He played excellent against Dallas and got the win. I fail to see why there's any reason whatsoever to complain about Boosh so far.

Old
03-20-2010, 11:43 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Bryzgalov is a poor example for this discussion because he was a cap casualty waiver pickup...as opposed to a "he sucks" waiver pickup.
I know. What I got out of GKJ's post is that he was invalidating Boosh just because he's been put on waivers a few times. I fail to see what that has to do anything. Leighton himself was a guy who was on waivers because he sucked. Emery was exiled to the KHL. Both of the goalies that Boosh is replacing are goalies that weren't wanted in the NHL by any other team then the Flyers so I fail to see how that can be a knock on Boosh when literally every other goalie ahead of him was in the same situation (sort of).

Old
03-20-2010, 11:56 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Case in point, look at those quotes MSE posted. Pronger and Laviolette themselves admitted that Boosh had nothing to do with the loss. He made all the initial saves, exactly like Leighton does, and he tried his best on all of them. He did perfectly fine. He played excellent against Dallas and got the win. I fail to see why there's any reason whatsoever to complain about Boosh so far.
Am I supposed to take that seriously? Pronger and Laviolette not throwing a guy under the bus? I mean, let's say they thought that, I don't pin the loss 100% on Boucher myself, but if they did, would you honestly expect them to say so?

"Our goalie was awful, and we felt we would have won if he could make a save."

That would be kind of counterproductive to some of the things this team is trying to accomplish.

Quote:
I know. What I got out of GKJ's post is that he was invalidating Boosh just because he's been put on waivers a few times. I fail to see what that has to do anything. Leighton himself was a guy who was on waivers because he sucked. Emery was exiled to the KHL. Both of the goalies that Boosh is replacing are goalies that weren't wanted in the NHL by any other team then the Flyers so I fail to see how that can be a knock on Boosh when literally every other goalie ahead of him was in the same situation (sort of).
Only a fool had full and unconditional confidence in Emery and Leighton. The whole thing is a **** show. Bryzgalov was a special case.

Old
03-21-2010, 12:25 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Well, I'm glad I chose to miss the game and sort of watch some of the Caps game with a friend. ****, they're in a 3-way tie for 5th with one game in hand.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:04 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Lose to Atanta? Ouch.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:07 AM
McNasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I think the difference between Boosh and Leighton is that nobody expects anything out of Boosh. People had this delusion that Leighton was a good goaltender.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 03:56 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Good to see that firing the coach all those months ago helped alleviate that whole pesky consistency thingy.

I swear the Winterhawks looked like a better team than the Flyers tonight, and they lost too.... and they're teenagers!!!!

ChumpyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 06:36 AM
Cuiffitelli

Disappointed in Homer and the team this season. Plain out disappointed. Thanks Homer, good job!!

Cuiffitelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 07:23 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
So what the hell is going on? has boosh been terrible? we looked pretty decent in the last 10 minutes of the period
So hold on a second, you have no clue what was going on in this game but you kept arguing with me about Bouchers performance this year? You are something else....

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 07:35 AM
jb**

glad to coburn and parent playing well. they just stand around and do nothing, dont bother picking up a man in front. if i am out there onthe ice with those 2, i park my as sinfront as neither one of them are capable or have no interets in trying to move guys. unless bartulis is stillhurt he needs to get back in the lineup. he was playing well beofre the break. Coburn and him looked much better than parent and coburn. maybe it is just me but these 2 just dont seem to upset at their play either. they show nothing.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 07:41 AM
HappyKappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
glad to coburn and parent playing well. they just stand around and do nothing, dont bother picking up a man in front. if i am out there onthe ice with those 2, i park my as sinfront as neither one of them are capable or have no interets in trying to move guys. unless bartulis is stillhurt he needs to get back in the lineup. he was playing well beofre the break. Coburn and him looked much better than parent and coburn. maybe it is just me but these 2 just dont seem to upset at their play either. they show nothing.
I thought this game was the first one in a while where Coburn looked bad, I was hoping he'd turned the corner. Hopefully just a bump in the road, he was starting to play better with his slightly reduced ice-time.

HappyKappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Mr Oysterhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyKappy View Post
I thought this game was the first one in a while where Coburn looked bad, I was hoping he'd turned the corner. Hopefully just a bump in the road, he was starting to play better with his slightly reduced ice-time.
Coburn has definitely looked better lately. I'd chalk tonight up as more of a bleh performance. Even Betts and Pronger didn't look good on D.

This team just doesn't have the drive. No consistent effort and even the players are saying so. How the **** are you supposed to win if everyone isn't bringing it on a nightly basis?

This team is a big disappointment and not because of injuries to our goalies. At this point any hope I have for us succeeding in the playoffs is blind faith in Pronger.

Mr Oysterhead is offline   Reply With Quote