HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubnyk Wins! [EDM 3, DET 2 SO]

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-20-2010, 07:54 AM
  #51
monster_bertuzzi
registered user
 
monster_bertuzzi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,554
vCash: 500
Brule and Cogs are extremely fast - and Brule's shooting arsenal is elite. Doesnt have NHL skills huh Ogopogo?

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 07:56 AM
  #52
Tyrolean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Country: Austria
Posts: 6,214
vCash: 500
Great for DD as it builds his confidence. I still don't think he will be an all star NHLer any time soon.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 08:00 AM
  #53
semenko27
Registered User
 
semenko27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 420
vCash: 500
Sure is nice that he got his first win, and against the Wings no less, who we seem to do quite well against for some odd reason. Its funny that now that we dont have a snowballs chance to get outta last, I'm actually hoping for some W's to make us look a wee bit more respectable.

semenko27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 08:09 AM
  #54
SlowFreshOil*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: South
Posts: 2,280
vCash: 500
Great to see Dubnyk get his first win last night. He's been deserving of one for awhile now. I would like to see how he plays in front of a good team. There's something there, he's very cool (thus him being called "the big easy"). I still think he needs more seasoning, but there's elements to his game I like over JD's.

Either way, it was fun to watch a win and the guys celebrating with Dubes. You could really tell they wanted to get this one for him.

Cogliano. I think this kid's finally found his game. I still would keep him over a player like O'Sullivan any day.

SlowFreshOil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 08:50 AM
  #55
Blatherblah
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: New York
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studly Wonderbomb View Post
That thread is hilarious. Now they know how frustrating it's been to root for the Oilers this year

Blatherblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:20 PM
  #56
Wyrm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler11 View Post
Probably the best possible outcome - Dubnyk gets the win, and we still give a point up to screw the Flames.
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. I don't think anyone can blame DD for the last 0.3 sec goal. He played phenomenal throughout the game and on that goal was left with 2 Reg Wingers alone in front of the net. Would be nice to see how he develops further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrolean View Post
Great for DD as it builds his confidence. I still don't think he will be an all star NHLer any time soon.
I don't think it is about all-star goaltenders. It is about creating sufficient competition between JDD and DD and letting their game decide who will take no. 1 place in the future.


Last edited by Wyrm: 03-20-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:38 PM
  #57
voxel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 10,832
vCash: 500
Congrats to DD!

No idea what Peckham was doing in the dying seconds, but this is all part of the "let's play AHL D-men and Fall for Hall" plan.

Good to see Cogs + Brule playing well... even though it's obvious Penner doesn't give two *****.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:57 PM
  #58
Wyrm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
Congrats to DD!

No idea what Peckham was doing in the dying seconds, but this is all part of the "let's play AHL D-men and Fall for Hall" plan.

Good to see Cogs + Brule playing well... even though it's obvious Penner doesn't give two *****.
Correction: let's play AHL D-men to give them more NHL experience while going for Hall at the same time. It isn't pretty but it is the most prudent strategy at the moment.

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 06:14 PM
  #59
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,940
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrm View Post
Correction: let's play AHL D-men to give them more NHL experience while going for Hall at the same time. It isn't pretty but it is the most prudent strategy at the moment.
Bonehead play by Peckham aside this is simply ridiculous. This org is playing AHL defencemen because its all they have at the moment.
If the Oilers sat out healthy NHL dmen to help facilitate acquiring the #1 pick this team would be an even bigger farce than they appear to be. Not to mention the impending investigation by the League.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 06:15 PM
  #60
voxel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 10,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrm View Post
Correction: let's play AHL D-men to give them more NHL experience while going for Hall at the same time. It isn't pretty but it is the most prudent strategy at the moment.
They are still AHL D-men.

We need to tank again next year and draft Larsson. We need an elite D-man.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 06:16 PM
  #61
Little Fury
Registered User
 
Little Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrm View Post
I don't think it is about all-star goaltenders. It is about creating sufficient competition between JDD and DD and letting their game decide who will take no. 1 place in the future.
If we're relying one of these hapless chumps to become a bona fide number one, we're going to be on the outside looking in for a good long time. Let me put it even more bluntly: they both suck.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 06:22 PM
  #62
Wyrm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
If we're relying one of these hapless chumps to become a bona fide number one, we're going to be on the outside looking in for a good long time. Let me put it even more bluntly: they both suck.
You know the numbers Craig Anderson was posting around DD's age? What a chump he must be for the Avs. There is such thing called player development. If you look at the top of the Western conference you'll see lots of teams (LA, Chicago, Phoenix, Colorado) who had lots of such "chumps" on their teams for a few years until they developed. In the present cap-era you can't just go to the UFA market to buy a quality team.

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 07:36 PM
  #63
Little Fury
Registered User
 
Little Fury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,657
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyrm View Post
You know the numbers Craig Anderson was posting around DD's age? What a chump he must be for the Avs.
Anderson had a pretty good track record in the AHL as well as in a back up role. He had a track record that indicated he'd be at worst an average NHl goalie. JDd or DD don't.

Quote:
There is such thing called player development.
There's also such a thing as lousy hockey players. What makes you think the development fairy will transform these career AHL back ups currently tending the net into real players?

Quote:
If you look at the top of the Western conference you'll see lots of teams (LA, Chicago, Phoenix, Colorado) who had lots of such "chumps" on their teams for a few years until they developed
You can't make chicken salad out of chicken s**t.

Quote:
In the present cap-era you can't just go to the UFA market to buy a quality team
And yet in the present cap era we could have gone to the UFA market and bought actual NHL goaltenders, including this guy Anderson you're talking about. Whoops.

Little Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 08:06 PM
  #64
Wyrm
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Fury View Post
There's also such a thing as lousy hockey players. What makes you think the development fairy will transform these career AHL back ups currently tending the net into real players?

And yet in the present cap era we could have gone to the UFA market and bought actual NHL goaltenders, including this guy Anderson you're talking about. Whoops.
Which is why I am talking about competition. You are not taking chances on a single player. Let several of them compete and pick the best. You seem to have missed the whole point I was making. Sure, you can go to the UFA market and bring in an actual NHL goalie just like we did this summer with Bulin. How did that work out for the Oilers? Whoops.

Wyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:14 AM
  #65
JessikaLovejoy
Registered User
 
JessikaLovejoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 833
vCash: 500
Really happy for Dubnyk.

Some quotes from today's Sun:

“Everybody in the entire city was fantastic,” he said.

“The media, the guys in the room, the fans. Fantastic!

“I couldn’t imagine so much support for a goalie who hadn’t had a win in 13 games including the ones I came in relief. It was incredible the way the fans here treated me.”

JessikaLovejoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.