HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Another Quiet Day...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-07-2005, 04:21 PM
  #1
Jobu
Registered User
 
Jobu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,264
vCash: 500
Another Quiet Day...

Another quiet day on NHL labour front


Canadian Press



2/7/2005

TORONTO (CP) - It was another quiet day on the NHL labour front.



Sources within the league and NHL Players' Association confirmed there had been no communication Monday and that the two sides haven't spoken to each other since last Friday's talks broke off.



The NHL lockout reached its 145th day and has wiped out 797 games of the 1,230 games on the 2004-05 regular-season schedule.

Jobu is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 04:28 PM
  #2
Hawker14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 500
cool, only 433 more games need to be cancelled before bettman officially cancels the season. or will he. he sure is clever !


Hawker14 is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 04:41 PM
  #3
Riddarn
1980-2011
 
Riddarn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,162
vCash: 500
I hope all owners and players get hemoroids from sitting on their ***** too long.

Edit: Sorry, this should probably have gone in the "Rant of the day" thread. Oh well..

Riddarn is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 04:44 PM
  #4
John Flyers Fan
Registered User
 
John Flyers Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 22,397
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker14
cool, only 433 more games need to be cancelled before bettman officially cancels the season. or will he. he sure is clever !

The season won't ever be officially cancelled, the NHL think cancelling the season could cause them problems in the courts down the line.

They'll just let the season slowly slide away, with no official announcement.

John Flyers Fan is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 04:51 PM
  #5
Thornton97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Carrollton, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 891
vCash: 500
well, you see, the thing about adding 433 onto the 797 already cancelled is that it equals the entire season! Hawker was being humerous. I thought it was clever anyway

Thornton97 is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 05:00 PM
  #6
Crazy Lunatic
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
The season won't ever be officially cancelled, the NHL think cancelling the season could cause them problems in the courts down the line.

They'll just let the season slowly slide away, with no official announcement.
Daly said there will be a cancellation announcement. I just wish it would have happened already.

 
Old
02-07-2005, 05:02 PM
  #7
Reilly311
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
LOL, SOME NEWS

Reilly311 is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 05:04 PM
  #8
oil slick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lunatic
Daly said there will be a cancellation announcement. I just wish it would have happened already.
I don't really get this attitude, and I hear it all the time. People should realize that when the season gets cancelled, there will likely not be squat done in negotiations until december. IMO the only possibility that we see hockey next October is if they don't call the season, and if Bettman and Goodenow keep having their last minute meetings.

oil slick is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 05:08 PM
  #9
Crazy Lunatic
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick
I don't really get this attitude, and I hear it all the time. People should realize that when the season gets cancelled, there will likely not be squat done in negotiations until december. IMO the only possibility that we see hockey next October is if they don't call the season, and if Bettman and Goodenow keep having their last minute meetings.
I don't want a bastardized shortened season. I would much rather the players suffer for a year and get it through their thick skulls that the NHL is a bush league and players can't make 12 million dollars a year.

 
Old
02-07-2005, 05:32 PM
  #10
Paul Martin Jones
DontTouchMyDonskoi!
 
Paul Martin Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lunatic
I don't want a bastardized shortened season. I would much rather the players suffer for a year and get it through their thick skulls that the NHL is a bush league and players can't make 12 million dollars a year.
not one single player makes 12 million. quit with your cliche's.

the fact is, the NHL on the ice is the only benefit to the fans. whether the players make $12.00 or $12,000,000.00 has no bearing on us.

dr

Paul Martin Jones is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 06:09 PM
  #11
PecaFan
Registered User
 
PecaFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Posts: 8,922
vCash: 500
Fine. Substitute Jagr's $11 million contract.

He's still right, the NHL in no way generates the revenue to justify contracts that high.

PecaFan is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 06:12 PM
  #12
Paul Martin Jones
DontTouchMyDonskoi!
 
Paul Martin Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Fine. Substitute Jagr's $11 million contract.

He's still right, the NHL in no way generates the revenue to justify contracts that high.
ok .. fine, then dont offer 11m deals ? how frikkin hard is that !

only a moron would offer Jagr a contract of that size, so let the moron pay for it.

dr

Paul Martin Jones is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 06:15 PM
  #13
Hawker14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PecaFan
Fine. Substitute Jagr's $11 million contract.

He's still right, the NHL in no way generates the revenue to justify contracts that high.
actually as a fan i pay to watch someone of jagr's skill. i know i'm in the minority but i don't begrudge the superstars their salaries. i have no problems with forsberg and sakic earning what they do.

however, i don't pay to watch checking wingers making $ 2.5 million/year, and there are too many players in this talent level who are making to much... hello, martin lapointe !!

Hawker14 is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 06:16 PM
  #14
Reilly311
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR
ok .. fine, then dont offer 11m deals ? how frikkin hard is that !


well when you have one GM of a team who wants to win with an endless supply of money, it's kinda hard. It has a trickle down effect on the rest of the league as every player who gets as many points as Jagr feels they also deserve 11 million.

Reilly311 is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 06:16 PM
  #15
Crazy Lunatic
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR
not one single player makes 12 million. quit with your cliche's.

the fact is, the NHL on the ice is the only benefit to the fans. whether the players make $12.00 or $12,000,000.00 has no bearing on us.

dr
Jagr and Forsberg make 11 million each, what a HUGE mistake on my part. Your second comment is a typical moronic statement from you that totally ignores the economic reality of the NHL in 2004. Keep dreaming that players salaries have no impact on the problems the NHL faces now. Simple fact is, most small market fans would rather the NHL lockout continue rather than going back to the current NHLPA slop CBA.

 
Old
02-07-2005, 06:17 PM
  #16
dolfanar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Like a midget at a urinal, I'm going to have to stay on my toes.
Posts: 2,948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly311
well when you have one GM of a team who wants to win with an endless supply of money, it's kinda hard. It has a trickle down effect on the rest of the league as every player who gets as many points as Jagr feels they also deserve 11 million.
Absolutely, and god forbid Jagr slump one year... suddenly you can end up with a market where 25 goals = $11 million...

dolfanar is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 06:35 PM
  #17
Paul Martin Jones
DontTouchMyDonskoi!
 
Paul Martin Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reilly311
well when you have one GM of a team who wants to win with an endless supply of money, it's kinda hard. It has a trickle down effect on the rest of the league as every player who gets as many points as Jagr feels they also deserve 11 million.
can you cite one example of a player awarded a contract using JJ as a comparable ?

hmm ?

nope.

dr

Paul Martin Jones is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 06:37 PM
  #18
Paul Martin Jones
DontTouchMyDonskoi!
 
Paul Martin Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Lunatic
Simple fact is, most small market fans would rather the NHL lockout continue rather than going back to the current NHLPA slop CBA.
not this one. my local team was quite exciting last year and was set to be exciting again.

<calgarian>

dr

Paul Martin Jones is offline  
Old
02-07-2005, 06:47 PM
  #19
Reilly311
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 1,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR
can you cite one example of a player awarded a contract using JJ as a comparable ?
Are you serious?

Reilly311 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.