HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Need help with my shooting

Old
03-20-2010, 09:25 PM
mememe000

vCash: 500
Need help with my shooting

Right now my shooting skills totally suck, I guess it's because this is my first year.

I can kinda do a wrist shot but it's really weak. My slaps shots are just sad, normally they just end up being like hard passes.

My stick goes to like the top of my head now (I know it's too long). I really only use it for poke checking. If I get a new stick how long should be it (with and without skates)?

I'm using a 85 flex now (Harrow stick), but it's too stiff for me now (for defense it's great though). Before I used a 65 flex but I really hated the way it flexed, I had to have my hand at the blade to get it to flex. I'm 5' 7" and 145 pounds with no arm strength. What flex would you recommend?

Thanks guys.

mememe000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:23 PM
hoonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe000 View Post
\
My stick goes to like the top of my head now (I know it's too long). I really only use it for poke checking. If I get a new stick how long should be it (with and without skates)?

I'm using a 85 flex now (Harrow stick), but it's too stiff for me now (for defense it's great though). Before I used a 65 flex but I really hated the way it flexed, I had to have my hand at the blade to get it to flex. I'm 5' 7" and 145 pounds with no arm strength. What flex would you recommend?

Thanks guys.
Although its preference, the general rule for stick length is up to your nose without skates, to your chin with skates. For your height and weight, a 75 flex would be good but if you really are as weak as you're making yourself out to be then 65 might be best.

And to improve your shot, look around on youtube or search on these boards for shooting tips and videos. After that, practice, practice, and more practice.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:11 AM
HowToHockey

I think a good place to start as far as flex goes is half your weight, because the flex is a measure of how much weight it takes to make the stick flex. Start at around 70 - 75 flex and go from there to find your personal preference

For height I use the stick under my nose, my friend has great hands and likes a shorter stick, defensemen usually like longer sticks. Also if you cut a stick it increases the flex.

For shooting check out this video for your wrist shot

This might help for your slapshot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDTfBKenHYY but we are working on a better one, and starting a slapshot challenge soon, so keep an eye out for that

If you decide to work on your backhand then check out this video!

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:32 AM
Hockeyfan68

Remember too that if you have a 65 flex stick and cut about 6 to 8 inches off of it you just made an 80 to 90 flex stick (approximately). You mentioned having your stick way too long and it is an 85 flex so if you cut some inches off of it you will increase the flex by quite a bit to maybe 95 to 100 or even higher.

Your stick length should be (a general rule) somewhere around your chin to your bottom lip with your skates on. It isn't an exact science.

Lesson learned I guess, don't buy a stick at the flex rating you use, buy one that will be your flex after you cut it. Most sticks now come with markers that tell you what the flex will be if you cut it there.

Good luck with your stuff

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 02:42 AM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

see this link: hockey stick flex

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:00 PM
mememe000

My Easton Synergy 300 65 flex was never cut, so I don't know what's up. I find my Harrow 85 flex a lot easier to flex...

Thanks for all the tips, I'll try some of that next time I'm on the ice.

mememe000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:51 PM
hoonking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe000 View Post
My Easton Synergy 300 65 flex was never cut, so I don't know what's up. I find my Harrow 85 flex a lot easier to flex...

Thanks for all the tips, I'll try some of that next time I'm on the ice.
Some sticks seem to be stiffer than others. My wooden supreme feels like a 100, even though its an 85.

hoonking is offline   Reply With Quote