HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game in 10 mins....

Old
03-20-2010, 05:26 PM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

vCash: 500
Wow! Just watched some of the game now since I couldnt watch it earlier. I couldn't be any happier for McBain. Logs almost 30 minutes in his 3rd NHL game ever, then gets his first goal as an OT winner vs. the reigning Stanley Cup champs. He looks so fluid out there. We've got us a good one.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by caniacho View Post
Jamie McBain must be regular next season. He's ready for top 4 role!

I'd love to see something like this - Pitkanen- Pothier, Gleason- McBain, Fowler- Carson.
I can live with this (assuming they take Fowler and don't try to get Corvo back). A younger defense is the way to go right now (with guys like Ward and Wallin gone, the younger guys have really stepped up).

Wolfpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Boom Boom Anton

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikani87 View Post
I can live with this (assuming they take Fowler and don't try to get Corvo back). A younger defense is the way to go right now (with guys like Ward and Wallin gone, the younger guys have really stepped up).
I'm still not ready to assume McBain in a 3/4 role next year after 3 games. He's been good and I like what I see, but it is only 3 games. I remember how impressed I was with Del Zotto and Gilroy from the Rangers after the first 10 games this season (and many of my friends who are Ranger fans were singing their praises). Both have had many bumps in the road since then.

Teams adjust to players as they learn their tendencies...and the wear and tear of an NHL schedule takes some getting use to.

That said, I'd be ok if he took either path next year (top 4 next year..or 5/6 with PP time and spot him some time in the top 4).

Boom Boom Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpuckhog View Post
I'm still not ready to assume McBain in a 3/4 role next year after 3 games. He's been good and I like what I see, but it is only 3 games. I remember how impressed I was with Del Zotto and Gilroy from the Rangers after the first 10 games this season (and many of my friends who are Ranger fans were singing their praises). Both have had many bumps in the road since then.

Teams adjust to players as they learn their tendencies...and the wear and tear of an NHL schedule takes some getting use to.

That said, I'd be ok if he took either path next year (top 4 next year..or 5/6 with PP time and spot him some time in the top 4).
I agree. I said I could live with McBain in the top 4, but if Corvo could be brought back, that would be a more ideal situation, with McBain swapping places with Gleason on the PP.

Old
03-20-2010, 06:26 PM
NorthStar4Canes

What a way to get the 1st of a career.

And in your face once again, Rosie haters.

NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 07:12 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
A defence made up of Pitkanen, Gleason, McBain, Fowler/Gudbranson/Gormley, Carson would be a solid core heading forward.

If we have Pitkanen, Gleason, McBain, UFA/trade, Pothier & Carson as our top 6 for next season I would be ok with that. If we could sign or trade for a steady top 4 guy that would help round things out. Also if McBain hit a rough patch, which is likely, Pothier can step into the top 4 and be fairly steady. Carson may make a decent stop-gap if need be next year aswell. Not a bad combination there. Although if we are in a position to draft one of Fowler, Gudbranson or Gormley, they'll likely be on the team and JR will skip adding a defenceman via trade or free agency.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 07:32 PM
Caniac12

Pitkanen - Babchuk
Gleason - Pothier
Carson - McBain

That's the cheapest and best option for defense we have.

Caniac12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 07:47 PM
ncsu1

double click for HD.

ncsu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:58 PM
rj

Bearing in mind that the Isles have a game out on the West Coast tonight, with today's win the Canes have moved up from 14th to 11th in the East.

8. Boston 70 games - 31 wins - 74 points
==============
9. Atlanta 71 g - 31 w - 73 pts
10. N.Y. Rangers 71 g - 31 w - 71 pts
11. Carolina 71 g - 30 w - 68 pts
12. N.Y. Islanders 71 g - 29 w - 68 pts
13. Tampa Bay 71 g - 28 w - 68 pts
14. Florida 70 g - 28 w - 67 pts
15. Toronto 72 g - 26 w - 64 pts

rj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 10:59 PM
ncsu1

that Boston loss hurts.

ncsu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2010, 11:01 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

I just watched this one after DVRing it earlier. That was awesome.

I don't mean to be captain optimist again, because that loss to Boston should have sealed the deal, but jumping half the teams today was huge. They still have a game against Boston to end the year too, so they really only have to make up 4 points since they would dominate Boston in wins.

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:10 AM
oleHABSole*

What was Carolina doing the first half of the season? and how are you guys winning so much now?

oleHABSole* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:12 AM
oleHABSole*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
I just watched this one after DVRing it earlier. That was awesome.

I don't mean to be captain optimist again, because that loss to Boston should have sealed the deal, but jumping half the teams today was huge. They still have a game against Boston to end the year too, so they really only have to make up 4 points since they would dominate Boston in wins.
you mean just 2 points.

oleHABSole* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:29 AM
Wolfpuck
5/5 Compete Level

11 games left. If they want to make the playoffs, they have to win...all of them. If they want a top 3 pick, they have to win none of them.

Oh God.

Old
03-21-2010, 01:32 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleHABSole View Post
you mean just 2 points.
No, 4. They're 6 back now so if they make up 4 (plus making up the game in hand) it's possible that they could go into the last game with a win and in scenario. That's also assuming that the Rangers or Thrashers don't step up either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikani87
11 games left. If they want to make the playoffs, they have to win...all of them. If they want a top 3 pick, they have to win none of them.

Oh God.
No. They're still only 1 point ahead of the Panthers who are the #3 team right now. They could win a few games against Jersey, Boston etc but lose teams like Florida and Tampa and end up still in the bottom 3.

Old
03-21-2010, 01:40 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
What was Carolina doing the first half of the season? and how are you guys winning so much now?
Making us believe we had a realistic shot at a top 2-3 draft pick only to start playing hockey over half way through the season. The team would then go on a hot streak (which many speculated would happen and ironically...or not, has), end up missing the playoffs by 3-5 points which in the end will result in a more so than less mediocre draft pick.

Signed,

Your 2009-2010 Carolina Hurricanes.

Old
03-21-2010, 04:36 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

If we don't get a top 3 pick, Gormley/Gudbranson/Niederreiter/Granlund/etc will be fine too

For the first time in forever it feels like we have a lot of good prospects at every position. Maybe not the best prospects but we're in a lot better shape than we were a few years ago and we have it a lot better than many teams. We're also drafting much better the last 3-4 years. A top 10 pick is icing on the cake since we're really not that bad of a team at all.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 06:54 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Good news is that if they catch Boston, they jump them due to the tiebreaker. Atlanta too. In fact, here are how the tiebreakers break down, which is probably relevant even for those still looking for a higher pick (fewer OTLs then season series):

Lose (or very likely will lose) against:
Philadelphia
Ottawa
Minnesota

Win (or very likely will win) against:
Atlanta
Florida
Tampa
NY Islanders
Boston
Toronto
Columbus
Dallas

Up in the Air:
NY Rangers: Since they lost the season series, Carolina needs to finish with fewer OTLs than the Rangers to win the tiebreaker. Right now they've got 8 to the Rangers' 9.

Montreal: Montreal holds a 7 to 8 OTL lead and they hold a 4-1 points lead in the season series with 2 games left to play.

Minnesota: Minnesota holds a 6 to 8 OTL lead and the season series was tied 3-3. Minnesota holds a -14 to -23 goal differential leads (the 3rd tiebreaker).

Anaheim: OTLs are tied at 8 and Carolina lost the only game in the season series. However, the rules require an equal number of home games to be played. I'm not sure if this applies to interconference games. In the 3rd tiebreaker, Anaheim holds a slight -17 to -23 edge.

That's a lot of teams to potentially be tied with.

Last edited by What the Faulk: 03-21-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old
03-21-2010, 10:28 AM
faulkingdynamic
J Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Making us believe we had a realistic shot at a top 2-3 draft pick only to start playing hockey over half way through the season. The team would then go on a hot streak (which many speculated would happen and ironically...or not, has), end up missing the playoffs by 3-5 points which in the end will result in a more so than less mediocre draft pick.

Signed,

Your 2009-2010 Carolina Hurricanes.
cc: 2007-2008 Carolina Hurricanes, 1999-2000 Carolina Hurricanes
bc: 2006-2007 Carolina Hurricanes

faulkingdynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:28 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Stall View Post
If we don't get a top 3 pick, Gormley/Gudbranson/Niederreiter/Granlund/etc will be fine too

For the first time in forever it feels like we have a lot of good prospects at every position. Maybe not the best prospects but we're in a lot better shape than we were a few years ago and we have it a lot better than many teams. We're also drafting much better the last 3-4 years. A top 10 pick is icing on the cake since we're really not that bad of a team at all.
As much as I have set my mind on a top 3 pick based on earlier in the season and the thought of finishing 9-11th pisses me off, if we could still be in a position to draft Gudbranson, Gormley, Niederreiter, etc, I could live with that. Seeing the development and progression of our own prospects - Sutter, Boychuk, McBain, Carson, etc.. Though likely not top end talent, however some of these guys look pretty good and may be just what this team needs heading forward. Although that top line or top defenceman is still a need, I can only hope JR can do his best to fill the void(s) there.

Old
03-21-2010, 12:03 PM
WalkerBabe

Quote:
Regarding the first part of our season, can we say injuries, injuries and MORE injuries??? (And the beat goes on ... see Legace yesterday. ) But we aren't quitters ... they'll play until they can't! GO 'CANES ... BEAT BUFFALO!

WalkerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 12:31 PM
impeach estaalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkerBabe View Post
Regarding the first part of our season, can we say injuries, injuries and MORE injuries??? (And the beat goes on ... see Legace yesterday. ) But we aren't quitters ... they'll play until they can't! GO 'CANES ... BEAT BUFFALO!
Aaron Ward's "performance" combined with the amount of ice time Brind'amour received were as big of a reason (if not more so) as injuries for the early record. People seem to pin the awful on start partly on C.Ward's injury but ignore that we had already lost 10 in a row when he got hurt in Columbus (with Ward in net for all 10 of those games, I believe).

If Aaron Ward is replaced by a semi-competent third-pairing defenseman to start the season and Rod Brind'amour gets the 4th line minutes he's been receiving for the past few months, then the Hurricanes are in a playoff position right now.

It may sound silly to pin a lost season largely on two players, but I don't think I've seen a more abysmal stretch of suck than what I saw from those two in October/November. Josef Melichar last year>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Aaron Ward this year.

impeach estaalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 01:21 PM
WalkerBabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by imayagainknowanton View Post
Aaron Ward's "performance" combined with the amount of ice time Brind'amour received were as big of a reason (if not more so) as injuries for the early record. People seem to pin the awful on start partly on C.Ward's injury but ignore that we had already lost 10 in a row when he got hurt in Columbus (with Ward in net for all 10 of those games, I believe).

If Aaron Ward is replaced by a semi-competent third-pairing defenseman to start the season and Rod Brind'amour gets the 4th line minutes he's been receiving for the past few months, then the Hurricanes are in a playoff position right now.

It may sound silly to pin a lost season largely on two players, but I don't think I've seen a more abysmal stretch of suck than what I saw from those two in October/November. Josef Melichar last year>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Aaron Ward this year.
We'll have to disagree somewhat, though you are right that Brindy and Aaron Ward were terrible. Eric Staal played injured from the beginning (he hurt himself in the Olympic Camp), Chad La Rose was injured pretty much from the beginning, and on and on and on with other guys ...

WalkerBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 02:26 PM
bleedgreen

i think you guys are nuts to use the excuses for the first half of the season. this team didnt show up to play. thinking last years team was actually good enough to be where it got, and just needing a few more older players to accent what we have was a huge mistake. the older players, a few injuries, and just a massive underachieving effort that makes this part of the season still a bit insulting to me. staal injured or not did his early season disappearing act. if it was only injuries how do we explain every season other than the cup season? its what he does. ward wasnt stellar, and this team wasnt fast enough, deep enough to adapt. the start of this season is what gets people fired, and it wont do anything in the end because of the recent play. jr will say its all good now and this lineup we have is good enough, and just needs a few veteran tweaks.

i could seriously care less about the recent surge. this season was over by december.

our d going into the season was woeful, and i dont believe thats been fixed. merely addition by subtraction has improved it. pothier is a better defenseman than corvo - just not as explosive....but a better player. mcbain once again shows we are so lacking in skill that a kid with solid skills looks like a stud on this team. not that he hasnt been good and doesnt deserve a pat on the back - but much like whitney/cullen/stillman the cast of characters around him makes him look good.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote