HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Los Angeles at San José: First Round Playoffs

Old
03-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

vCash: 500
Los Angeles at San José: First Round Playoffs

This is now a very real possibility as San José is floundering a month earlier than usual while Phoenix is apparently untouchable, having trashed Chicago down 2 goals in the third period last night, for eight in a row, leaving them only one point behind San José for the Pacific Division lead (!).

Now, San José does indeed have one game in hand on Phoenix; however, with four losses in a row, that game in hand doesn't mean much at all.

So enough of the preamble.

The Kings won the season series against the Sharks this year; however, the last two games: the Sharks were superior. Given the Sharks' horrific playoff history, I actually think this is a good first round match for the Kings. They match up well with the Sharks and in one game trashed their goalie (in San José). This might be the way to go. I really think a second round matchup with Phoenix would also be awesome.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I would rather play against San Jose than Phoenix to be honest, but as long as we make the playoffs and win some games, I will be very happy indeed.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Rickety Cricket

I think it'd be kinda fun to go down for a game or two.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 03:29 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Teams I'd like to see in round 1: Phoenix, San Jose, Colorado

Teams I don't want to see: Detroit (2-2), Nashville (0-3), Vancouver (0-3), Calgary (1-3), Chicago (1-3)

For the teams in bold, the Kings have played 14 games with them so far this season, the Kings have scored a total of 18 goals in 14 games and are 2-12.

The Kings have beaten up on the Pacific division this year, so you have to want to play Phoenix or San Jose vs. any team from the Central division or the Northwest (save for Colorado). The Kings are struggling to stay at .500 vs. teams in those two divisions.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Defgarden

Honestly, it doesn't matter who the Kings play. They will eventually have to go through some very tough teams if they want to come out on top.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Don't we have to win 4 games per series to reach the next round
doesn't matter who we are playing ???

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 03:58 PM
MxK1NGS

I could have sworn I pointed this out on the PGT?
Wait nvm.

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 04:01 PM
JMFJ 3

If we play Phoenix or Nashville we're screwed, that is all.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 04:04 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

At this rate, we're not finishing 5th. So, PHX/SJ isn't happening.

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 04:57 PM
Takavorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Why is our fanbase so pessimistic? We have 3 games left against COL who is the main competition for the 5 seed, and another game left with PHO who we have 2 games in hand on. If we go on a nice little streak here, which isn't out of the question at all, even overtaking PHO isn't out of the question, let alone the 5 seed.

Takavorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:03 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takavorner View Post
Why is our fanbase so pessimistic? We have 3 games left against COL who is the main competition for the 5 seed, and another game left with PHO who we have 2 games in hand on. If we go on a nice little streak here, which isn't out of the question at all, even overtaking PHO isn't out of the question, let alone the 5 seed.
Check that, for some reason i thought we were in 6th. 3 back of 5th, but since we're tied for 5th(as of now) i guess it's possible

KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Roxo

Send a message via AIM to Roxo
Judging from San jose's reputation and past performance in the Playoffs; I'll take it.

Roxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Fangio

If we're playing San Jose, Murray better get Frolov - Handzus - Simmonds reunited to go against Thornton's line. Limit their scoring chances as much as possible, we have a pretty good shot at pulling off an "upset".

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The way the Kings have been playing of late, we should all be happy to see any playoff hockey, no matter who the opponent is. Although I do prefer San Jose simply because I would like to see that rivalry taken to the next level, and to see the NorCal fans have their yaps shut with those "Beat LA" chants.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:41 PM
JMFJ 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takavorner View Post
We haven't qualified for the playoffs since 02, I have every right to be pessimistic.

JMFJ 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:53 PM
Takavorner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 View Post
We haven't qualified for the playoffs since 02, I have every right to be pessimistic.
You go ahead and do that. I, on the other hand, will be enjoying this awesome season and will be optimistic that not only are we going to the playoffs, but we're winning a series once we get there

Takavorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 08:37 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

As I write this, Phoenix is tied with 4:28 left in overtime in Dallas (so they got the one point already), and the Sharks are getting beat by Edmonton 3-zip at the end of 2 periods.

All I can think right now is "LOL at SJS." If they lose the division to Phoenix, the "shark tank" will take on a whole new meaning.

Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:27 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
It could easily happen if LA falls to 7th or 8th.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:05 AM
BigBrown
They did it again!

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Sharks finally do some playoff damage this season. Usually they are damn near unbeatable down the stretch and falter in the playoffs while now they seem to be struggling early enough to get things back on track.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Don't we have to win 4 games per series to reach the next round
doesn't matter who we are playing ???
Sure, but we can always hope for a easier matchup than someone like Vancouver or Gnashville, who we can't beat.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:52 AM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I'd rather play SJ than Phoenix. . .

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:11 PM
DIEHARD the King fan

If you have to answer this question, then you havent followed Kings haockey for long enough. We struggle with phoenix no hw good or bad we both are. Unfortunately, right now we SUCK, and Phoenix is powning the rest of the league. San Jose seems to be sucking at about our level, and we almost always play them tough, this season winning the series.

I can't imagine watching the horror of a series against Phoenix while they are riding such a high and we are sucking it bigtime

DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Winger23

If the season ended today, picking SJ over Phoenix is a no brainer. However there is still a ton of hockey to be played for teams to get hot and cold still going in. What happens if Phoenix loses thier next 5 in a row and San Jose wins thier next 8. Do you now root to play Phoenix?

Regardless of San Jose's past exits, they have the superior team still. Yes we played them well earlier in the season, but they were head and shoulders over the Kings the past few meetings. With Phoenix the games are close and would be a better matchup for the Kings, IMO.

If I have to root for a team to play against, It's Colorado.

Winger23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

I honestly don't really give a **** as long as they get there. They are going to have a tough time with any team. Lets just see them get there and hope for the best.

Buddy The Elf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 03:37 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
This is now a very real possibility as San José is floundering a month earlier than usual while Phoenix is apparently untouchable, having trashed Chicago down 2 goals in the third period last night, for eight in a row, leaving them only one point behind San José for the Pacific Division lead (!).

Now, San José does indeed have one game in hand on Phoenix; however, with four losses in a row, that game in hand doesn't mean much at all.

So enough of the preamble.

The Kings won the season series against the Sharks this year; however, the last two games: the Sharks were superior. Given the Sharks' horrific playoff history, I actually think this is a good first round match for the Kings. They match up well with the Sharks and in one game trashed their goalie (in San José). This might be the way to go. I really think a second round matchup with Phoenix would also be awesome.
What?

Hawks and Coyotes went into Shootout

I would hardly say they thrashed us

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote