HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

crowd

Old
03-18-2010, 07:56 PM
oilers89

vCash: 500
crowd

since we are pretty much guarenteed to get 30th. Why dont we make the remaingin home games a rocus crowd and show the team how excited we are for next year...

oilers89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 07:59 PM
Arpeggio

Been done before, doesn't work.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 08:08 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
agreed
try hard, get applause
simple concept

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Section337

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers89 View Post
since we are pretty much guarenteed to get 30th. Why dont we make the remaingin home games a rocus crowd and show the team how excited we are for next year...
Figurative death marches are not fun.

Section337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 09:28 PM
otto84

But we're not excited.

otto84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:36 PM
smokersarejokers

Quote:
Yep.

I am still bitter about that Shawn Horcoff video last year basically telling fans to cheer more and that we were too quiet and it really helps the team when we're loud. Some of my buddies that are Flames and Canucks fans still give me the gears about that.

That stupid team is lucky that people still show up. I know it's been said before, but if this team was in Nashville or Atlanta, it would be giving away tickets with marshmellows and ginger ale.

Personally, I don't see the point in rewarding some of the stinkers they've put up this year. This isn't 9 year old basketball.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:40 PM
40oz

Well I always cheer for wins when I'm at the games. But now that we have a big enough cushion I'm done with the fall for hall. I want to see the team pull together and get into some really competitive games.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 10:44 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

vCash: 50
Stop contributing to the loser mentality and cheer I say...Cheer loud...cheer long...cheer hard

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Oilforblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers89 View Post
Sure... all for it.... I'll be cheering from hometown Calgary... but can we maybe avoid this during the two remaining games against the Wings? I'd love nothing more than to watch this city whine and ***** all summer after the Flames miss the playoffs.

Its all I have except for the draft.... is it too much to ask?!?! lol

Oilforblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 12:36 AM
dookers9

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
agreed
try hard, get applause
simple concept
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto84 View Post
But we're not excited.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
Personally, I don't see the point in rewarding some of the stinkers they've put up this year. This isn't 9 year old basketball.
Kinda reflects the crowd version of what Whitney called out the other night.

What, exactly, are we trying to make "work"? The team is clearly slated to be golfing soon enough. Cheering isn't meant to change that. It's meant to add excitement to the building, and maybe stir the squad on a bit.

The whole notion of "work hard and we'll cheer" - while super fantastic - needs context. Could there not be times where a crowd responds in a positive manner (god forbid) while the team ISN'T playing particularly well?... who knows, it might have an impact. Damn, I'll tell you for sure that it has an impact on ME as I'm sitting in my seat at Rexall. The whole "make like a mausoleum" thing is embarassing.

This team simply isn't that good. They make far too many mistakes. They have some slackers and seeming cancers that unfortunately have influenced plenty of the outcomes. But I've seen a hell of a lot of effort PLENTY of times through the year, effort that has deserved far better results. They get down on themselves and shoot themselves in the foot. It likely won't change by next year with the advent of an even more youthful squad on tap. But let's not sell them out altogether as not trying.

Hell - you pay for the ticket, I suppose you have the "right" to do as you please. But even some booing would be better than the sleep-inducing crowd that typically gathers at Rexall of late. This squad could have some pretty cool things to show over the next while, and I'm thinking that there's something wrong with not being excited about the prospects of guys like MPS and Eberle developing on our ice.

Give the dude with the drum a break.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 01:44 AM
bzur

Maybe if the place goes crazy with "Lets go Oilers" chants after the other team scores they can shake that "oh noes! we got scored on! "
mentality. Help put some fight in them.

bzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-19-2010, 11:47 AM
CanmoreMike

If you're locked in, you don't care about the crowd. It may give you lifts at moments throughout the game like a Stanley Cup playoff game. Problem is - those games are do or die every night out. How can you expect people to be excited for nothing.

If you want it loud - show updated highlights of Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin before the game rather than that tripe they roll out. Can't even recall what they do anymore - is it that "never quit" speech Quinn delivers at some faux Nazi rally?

CanmoreMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 06:28 PM
bzur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanmoreMike View Post
If you're locked in, you don't care about the crowd. It may give you lifts at moments throughout the game like a Stanley Cup playoff game. Problem is - those games are do or die every night out. How can you expect people to be excited for nothing.

If you want it loud - show updated highlights of Taylor Hall and Tyler Seguin before the game rather than that tripe they roll out. Can't even recall what they do anymore - is it that "never quit" speech Quinn delivers at some faux Nazi rally?
That would be sad, yet awesome. Highlights from the cup run, and prospect highlights too. Get some Eberle, MPS and O'mark in there.

bzur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 06:55 PM
Arpeggio

I haven't been to a game yet, but I did see the opening video, and seriously? It looks like a Bell commercial. If they want to get people pumped up for games (and I'm talking about next season, when they might be good), then get people excited. People are going to be jacked for Hall/Seguin, Eberle, MPS, etc., so maybe try to play that up. And hopefully the team comes through and plays an energetic game to keep the fans excited.

The last game I saw that was loud was the Oilers/Ducks game at the end of last season, the one with the Selanne stick call. I was expecting it to be quiet, but then Jacques and Stortini came out with some huge hits and it got incredibly loud. Then the Oilers went on to stink it up for two periods, and predictably, we all shut up. When they brought the pressure in the third, we were loud again. If they play with intensity, we'll cheer with intensity.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote