HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Was canning Renney the right decision?

Old
03-21-2010, 07:03 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

vCash: 500
Lundqvist and some timely trade deadline acquisitions saved Renney from getting fired in 2007 and 2008.

The team was constantly struggling at mid-season under Renney. They were lazy. They were boring. They didn't have any chemistry.

Now, would Renney have made the playoffs last year with Avery, Antro and Morris added? I don't know..we'll never know, in fact.

I think that both Torts and Renney made critical tactical errors. Renney couldnt get the most out of his offense, while Torts couldnt get anything out of his defense. In fact, you can say that Henril made both guys look smart at times.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Edge

I think this has serious flaws in the way it was built and has had them for years.

Of course they are easy to overlook when the team makes the playoffs.

I don't think any coach makes this team, with its current makeup, a legit contender. There are just too many holes, flaws and made decisions.

Sather's ass has been saved but what it is a very good scouting department. The problem is that his free agent signings have tied up too many resources in too many average (at best) players.

Compound the fact this team team has consistently been a middle of the pack team, it finds itself stuck in a sort of purgatory.

Not bad enough to stockpile some top notch picks (which would be great with this scouting department) and not good enough to ever be a serious contender.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 07:54 PM
Fataldogg

A big fat NO from me.

I look at the results.

The NYR made the playoffs each year since 05-06 under Renney. The Rangers were in a slump but in a PLAYOFF SPOT when they FIRED Renney. The Rangers proceeded to be eliminated in the first round. The FIRST FULL SEASON WITHOUT Renney and the team is slated to not make the playoffs.

I don't care if there is a "what if" or "Tortorella this" or "Tortorella that" but I merely look at the results and Renney's system and Renney's coaching brought playoff hockey to the Garden on a routine basis. The first year without him and we're not getting there.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
A big fat NO from me.

I look at the results.

The NYR made the playoffs each year since 05-06 under Renney. The Rangers were in a slump but in a PLAYOFF SPOT when they FIRED Renney. The Rangers proceeded to be eliminated in the first round. The FIRST FULL SEASON WITHOUT Renney and the team is slated to not make the playoffs.

I don't care if there is a "what if" or "Tortorella this" or "Tortorella that" but I merely look at the results and Renney's system and Renney's coaching brought playoff hockey to the Garden on a routine basis. The first year without him and we're not getting there.
I think that's a gross oversimplification.

Old
03-21-2010, 08:22 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fataldogg View Post
A big fat NO from me.

I look at the results.

Renney didn't wave some magic wand or inject the guys with PED's to get them into the playoffs. All he did was pencil in No. 30 in nets every night in February and March, and in each of the last 3 seasons Henrik played like a Vezina winner down the stretch.

Case in point: OT and the shootout...The Rangers made the playoffs last year because they earned a ton of extra points in the shootout.

This year, not so much. Once you end regulation tied, IMO it's all on the goalie. You have 5 mins to play shutout hockey and get to the shootout where's it's even-steven.

Henrik this year: 2-8 in OT and SO's. That doesn't include last-second regulation losses to Detroit and Ottawa where the Rangers lost at least one point.

Last year: 10-7

Henrik goes a very reasonable 6-4 in extra time this year, and he manages to squeeze the pads a little better in those two other games, that's six extra points in the standings, which would put them in a playoff spot for now.

I'm not blaming this season on Henrik at all. i just think the team goes as Henrik goes, not Renney or Torts or even Gabby.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Edge

As a general rule, the Rangers have been a two player team for years.

Henrik + an elite scorer (Jagr and later Gaborik).

The difference is that this team's D is either young and developing or old and immoveable.

Couple that with a lack of any consistent scoring depth, and you're just not going to win many.

I sometimes felt that even with this team was winning in past years, it was never as good as its record showed. I always worried that people were so starved for winning that they'd fail to see the flaws and get a little too confident. And now, in the fifth year since the lockout, we finally stopped finding ways to hide it.

A different coach would be the same result. Certain things would be better, others worse, but the result would be the same. This team is poorly built.

When no one other than Gaborik scares opposing defenses and our defense scares no one, there's little hope beyond that.