HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Goalie question for 2010-2011

Old
03-21-2010, 03:51 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
The funny thing is that the organization has felt the same way about goaltending for most of the last 35 years. So in a way, I don't really need to prove you wrong because our record of failure already does that for me.
You have about as bright a future as many Montreal fans parading around.

Quote:
As for Coburn having top pairing potential.

.....err.....

We're all homers on here to an extent, but that's one of the more homeristic player assessments I've ever seen.

EDIT: Also, Price is struggling with an above-average save percentage?
It's alright. We'll probably trade him, and then you will see. As for Price, he is the back-up isn't he? I mean, Coburn isn't playing poorly anymore. Price isn't really playing poorly either. They're both just stuck.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 04:02 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
The funny thing is that the organization has felt the same way about goaltending for most of the last 35 years. So in a way, I don't really need to prove you wrong because our record of failure already does that for me.

As for Coburn having top pairing potential.

.....err.....

We're all homers on here to an extent, but that's one of the more homeristic player assessments I've ever seen.

EDIT: Also, Price is struggling with an above-average save percentage?
Coburn is such a sad story. Honestly, the guy has talent just oozing from him. And you can see it on occasion when he decides to play. However, he just lacks the mental capacity to put it all together. I mean, Pitkanen finally got it after five seasons of pro hockey. Coburn is in his fifth year of pro hockey now and he still doesn't get it and doesn't have the capacity to put it all together. He's another Brian Benning - million dollar talent, just unable to put the entire package together and that's really sad.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 04:06 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

It's alright. We'll probably trade him, and then you will see. As for Price, he is the back-up isn't he? I mean, Coburn isn't playing poorly anymore. Price isn't really playing poorly either. They're both just stuck.
Last i checked Price is 22 years old and Coburn is 25. Plenty of time to realize his potential. Even at his worst he's still a starting NHL goalie with above average numbers. And he's only 22! lol

FanHabtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 04:51 PM
JCameron418

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanHabtic View Post
Last i checked Price is 22 years old and Coburn is 25. Plenty of time to realize his potential. Even at his worst he's still a starting NHL goalie with above average numbers. And he's only 22! lol
Cool story bro

JCameron418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 04:52 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCannon18 View Post
Cool story bro
Thanks bro.

Old
03-21-2010, 05:41 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
...thank you. I'm looking forward to my future career of setting cars on fire.

Quote:
Coburn put up a stellar -3 tonight and was pretty bad. Coburn, at best, could be called inconsistent and I'm starting to wonder if that 10-15 game stretch he had earlier when he was good is the exception rather than the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Coburn is such a sad story. Honestly, the guy has talent just oozing from him. And you can see it on occasion when he decides to play. However, he just lacks the mental capacity to put it all together. I mean, Pitkanen finally got it after five seasons of pro hockey. Coburn is in his fifth year of pro hockey now and he still doesn't get it and doesn't have the capacity to put it all together. He's another Brian Benning - million dollar talent, just unable to put the entire package together and that's really sad.
He's just not hockey-smart. You hear about Richie's puck sense and smarts all the time, well Coburn is the exact opposite. He either overthinks or doesn't think enough, doesn't seem to understand concepts like risky outlets and bad changes.

That's why he'll never fulfill his potential IMO and you're right, it is a sad story. I think it was a great trade by Holmgren to take a chance on a guy like that and unfortunately, it just doesn't work out sometimes.

I'm not averse to giving him more time, but at this point, he's coming up on 2 seasons of really subpar play during his 24 and 25 year-old years (very formative seasons for a d-man), so I think expectations need to be tempered.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 07:48 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
Thanks bro.
Honestly, you have some sort of weird obsession with Flyers threads, 65 of your last 68 posts and 118 of your last 150 are in threads about the Flyers or talking about the Flyers.

Last edited by EasyMac: 03-21-2010 at 07:58 PM.
EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Leighton was a joke before coming to Philadelphia. Look at what a good team did for him.

I'm not saying that Leighton is a similar case to Harding, but Harding definitely has more skill than Leighton. I'd give him a shot.
I don't disagree, but in fairness Leighton did it in a small sample size so that doesn't really prove he could be a full time starter here.

As for Harding, I wouldn't mind taking a shot on him if Price/Halak is out of the question, but I don't have as high hopes for him and I think we'd need someone better than Leighton to split time with him.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 08:58 PM
RichardFaulk

in reality the flyers ain't gonna give up what the habs want . because they would want Carter , Hartnell , Giroux , VanReimsdyk so bottom line it ain't gonna happen .

RichardFaulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 08:59 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardFaulk View Post
in reality the flyers ain't gonna give up what the habs want . because they would want Carter , Hartnell , Giroux , VanReimsdyk so bottom line it ain't gonna happen .
Let the Habs hold onto both Halak and Price then.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:05 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Yes because the Flyers are the only team in the league that may be looking for a longterm solution in goal. If the Habs don't bend and relent to a low-ball Flyer offer then they will be stuck holding onto them and facing an eternity of damnation...

And i thought it was habs fans that thought the world revolved around them!

Old
03-21-2010, 09:06 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
Honestly, you have some sort of weird obsession with Flyers threads, 65 of your last 68 posts and 118 of your last 150 are in threads about the Flyers or talking about the Flyers.
I love you guys! (does anyone know where i can find a smiley with a heart?)

Oh and thanks for the stats. Keep em coming!

Old
03-21-2010, 09:40 PM
bmore236

As a hab fan with rose colored glasses, my thinking is how many more points would a better goalie like Halak or Price can obtain. The only value of the additional points is that you would may get home ice advantage, play a weaker opponent in the playoffs which could lead to a better chance of advancing to the next round. Is that worth a JVR or Giroux, who knows.

bmore236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:59 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Yes because the Flyers are the only team in the league that may be looking for a longterm solution in goal. If the Habs don't bend and relent to a low-ball Flyer offer then they will be stuck holding onto them and facing an eternity of damnation...

And i thought it was habs fans that thought the world revolved around them!
Let's be honest though. The market for goaltenders is a very strange market. For instance, who would have thought that JS Giguere was going to be a salary dump? Who would have thought Ilya Bryzgalov was going to be a waiver wire acquisition? Look at what Thomas Vokoun was dealt for. Look at what Chris Mason was dealt for.

Canadiens management have to realize that a Price or Halak will not land them a JVR or a Giroux (if Giroux or JVR get moved, it'll be for a goalie like a Ryan Miller or someone of that stature). The market simply indicates that. With regards to Price, most teams will look at his uneven performance for two years now and that's going to lower his value. With regards to Halak, teams are going to look at the fact that with Price's uneven play for two years, he still couldn't secure the top spot.

That's the reality of the goaltending market. So, say what you want about a low ball offer, but that's the facts of the market.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:34 PM
freakydallas13

Quote:

at this point, its turning into another pitkanen situation. He might be capable of becoming a top pairing defender one day, but it doesn't look like its gonna be in philadelphia.

freakydallas13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Let's be honest though. The market for goaltenders is a very strange market. For instance, who would have thought that JS Giguere was going to be a salary dump? Who would have thought Ilya Bryzgalov was going to be a waiver wire acquisition? Look at what Thomas Vokoun was dealt for. Look at what Chris Mason was dealt for.

Canadiens management have to realize that a Price or Halak will not land them a JVR or a Giroux (if Giroux or JVR get moved, it'll be for a goalie like a Ryan Miller or someone of that stature). The market simply indicates that. With regards to Price, most teams will look at his uneven performance for two years now and that's going to lower his value. With regards to Halak, teams are going to look at the fact that with Price's uneven play for two years, he still couldn't secure the top spot.

That's the reality of the goaltending market. So, say what you want about a low ball offer, but that's the facts of the market.
I completely agree with you in regards to the market and you may very well be right about the market for Price, but I think we have to keep in mind that this is a more unique situation because teams don't trade highly regarded young goalies with huge ceilings. There aren't many comparable situations out there. From an outsiders perspective it's easy to say that he is unestablished and inconsistent so his value isn't high, but I try to look at it from the other team's perspective. Price's future value is what is worth so much to them as a potential franchise goalie. A homegrown franchise goalie is invaluable and he's a pretty rare commodity. A team would be foolish to give that up without receiving similar value in return because they'd just end up being screwed in the long run. That's why I think he could cost JVR or Giroux. I'm also in the minority of fans that would probably do that deal.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Habs fans are redundant and overexcited over nothing.

One of them today said they wanted Brassard for Price. Montreal won't get anything like Brassard, Giroux, or JVR for either Price or Halak. That's just the reality of it. Unfortunately, most of them don't seem to believe in reality.
Yeah when it comes to Price Hab fans are very out of it with reality

I offered up Sharp + 2011 1st for him back in Feb and most Hab fans either wanted more or that that he was worth 1 of Toews , Kane or Keith

Sharp would be #2 in scoring for Habs this year ,,, Those fans are crazy

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=735998

I find it amusing they ran out a young Jocelyn Thibault at age of 24 and continue to ridicule him but treat Price like a god.

I know Thibault was traded for Roy and never became an elite netminder but he was still a pretty good NHL netminder and never got a fair chance by Habs or there fans

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:08 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
I'd loveeeeeeee to see Sharp back in Philly. However that will never happen.

Umberger is another story.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 05:26 AM
Jodiju

LMAO at a post that contains the words 'reality', 'PK Subban' and 'NHL-ready' in it.

Jodiju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:44 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

What I think

Leighton
Boosh
Hutton
Riopel

What I hope is a different story but that's my gut feeling.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:16 AM
Kaktus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
We have about $4.5MM for both goaltenders using the following contracts and estimates as well as a stagnant cap ($56.8MM).

13 Forwards

Daniel Briere ($6,500,000)
Mike Richards ($5,750,000)
Simon Gagne ($5,250,000)
Jeff Carter ($5,000,000)
Scott Hartnell ($4,200,000)
James Van Riemsdyk ($1,654,166)
Ian Laperriere ($1,166,666)
Jon Kalinski ($875,000)
Claude Giroux ($821,666)
Ville Leino ($800,000)
Blair Betts ($700,000)

Estimates
Daniel Carcillo ($1,000,000)
Darroll Powe ($700,000)

7 Defensemen

Kimmo Timonen ($6,333,333)
Chris Pronger ($4,921,428)
Matt Carle ($3,437,500)
Oskars Bartulis ($600,000)

Estimates
Braydon Coburn ($1,500,000)
Ryan Parent ($1,000,000)
Lukas Krajicek ($800,000)
Cap space won't be a problem in 2011. I said it many times, I think Flyers will porbbaly add Turco and maybe bring back Emery or Biron as a back up.

I would like to move 2 out of 3 or even all 3. Briere, Hartnell or Carle. Moving Hartnell and Carle won't be a problem. Moving Briere is probably impossible. If Flyers can move Briere and Carle I will be very happy.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:42 PM
Opus

vCash: 50
Flyers looked into Timmy Thomas at the deadline?

Link

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:49 PM
FanHabtic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Yeah when it comes to Price Hab fans are very out of it with reality

I offered up Sharp + 2011 1st for him back in Feb and most Hab fans either wanted more or that that he was worth 1 of Toews , Kane or Keith

Sharp would be #2 in scoring for Habs this year ,,, Those fans are crazy
I'd do that deal - especially if Gauthier can't get Plekanec re-signed for a reasonable amount of money. That would pretty much solve everything for the Habs if Pleks falls through although it would suck to lose Pleks.

Old
03-22-2010, 02:10 PM
JackZap

Quote:
I think thats exactly what they do. Unless someone offers something crazy for Price I dont think hes going anywhere. Hes a RFA with no real bargaining power. A backup is going to cost u around 1M anyways. BTW, they arent trading Price for Coburn

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 02:11 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus View Post
Flyers looked into Timmy Thomas at the deadline?

Link
Oh god...

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote