HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Poile, from good to stagnant (long)

Closed Thread

Old
03-20-2010, 12:17 AM
glenngineer

vCash: 500
Every time I read this thread the more I start to laugh.

Old
03-20-2010, 01:25 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
nice contradiction.

all of the "bad" moves you claim he made happened during those first 6-7 years. (and I wont even bother refuting most of those, even though I could)

no "bad" moves these last 3

I know 9" already said it but do you not even have the intellectual honesty to admit that poile has been operating in some pretty tight constraints since Leipold pulled the rug out from under him??
Actually, I said it from the get go. We've always had budget constraints. We also happen to have the biggest payroll we've ever had, and just to maintain our group of players of the next 2 years, it will push us against the cap.

In terms of the last 3 years, I don't think he's been a medoicre GM because of bad trades . It's more because he's been totally complacent with the roster, and resigned 2/3rd tier guys to big, long contracts that will continue to handicap us.

I know, you and glenengineer and others think he has done very little wrong. Fine. I don't think he's the guy to get us to next level. Deal with with it, it's what I think.

Old
03-20-2010, 01:30 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Every time I read this thread the more I start to laugh.
How productive of you.

Old
03-20-2010, 01:40 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
Actually, I said it from the get go. We've always had budget constraints. We also happen to have the biggest payroll we've ever had, and just to maintain our group of players of the next 2 years, it will push us against the cap.

In terms of the last 3 years, I don't think he's been a medoicre GM because of bad trades . It's more because he's been totally complacent with the roster, and resigned 2/3rd tier guys to big, long contracts that will continue to handicap us.

I know, you and glenengineer and others think he has done very little wrong. Fine. I don't think he's the guy to get us to next level. Deal with with it, it's what I think.
Once again, your avoidance of direct questions is amusing. Two points.

1. He was told to sell off parts of the team within the last 3 years. Not his fault. Leipold's orders.

2. Who should he have signed instead of locking up Erat and Legwand for the prices they were given? Who were the UFA's out there that were available, wanted to come here and Poile could sign? Until those questions are answered, your argument has no legs. You complain about the length and size of the contracts but all the players with similar numbers, around the same age and who were UFA's within a few years of those contracts were all signed to deals similar to Legwand and Erat. Unfortunately, at the time Poile would have been forced to let both of them go, get no compensation, which is something you despise, then go out and sign two other players that may or may not have fit the system or team style of play we have here. Risky yes but was it wiser to re-sign two players that have grown up in the system and know what we're getting with them? Also, to keep complaining about Legwand and his lack of numbers, go look at the Tennessean today and see what Trotz had to say about Legwand and his so called lack of production. The coach wouldn't mind seeing more from him but he's not happy with the performance he has gotten from Legwand in the shut down role he's performing in. No one is saying we wouldn't like more offense out of Legwand. To expect it with linemates he is given on a nightly basis is expecting miracles to be quite honest. But back to the original question, who was an UFA when Legwand was that we should've signed instead?

Old
03-20-2010, 03:20 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Once again, your avoidance of direct questions is amusing. Two points.

1. He was told to sell off parts of the team within the last 3 years. Not his fault. Leipold's orders.

2. Who should he have signed instead of locking up Erat and Legwand for the prices they were given? Who were the UFA's out there that were available, wanted to come here and Poile could sign? Until those questions are answered, your argument has no legs. You complain about the length and size of the contracts but all the players with similar numbers, around the same age and who were UFA's within a few years of those contracts were all signed to deals similar to Legwand and Erat. Unfortunately, at the time Poile would have been forced to let both of them go, get no compensation, which is something you despise, then go out and sign two other players that may or may not have fit the system or team style of play we have here. Risky yes but was it wiser to re-sign two players that have grown up in the system and know what we're getting with them? Also, to keep complaining about Legwand and his lack of numbers, go look at the Tennessean today and see what Trotz had to say about Legwand and his so called lack of production. The coach wouldn't mind seeing more from him but he's not happy with the performance he has gotten from Legwand in the shut down role he's performing in. No one is saying we wouldn't like more offense out of Legwand. To expect it with linemates he is given on a nightly basis is expecting miracles to be quite honest. But back to the original question, who was an UFA when Legwand was that we should've signed instead?
Dude, this is what, the 15th direct question of this thread? How many hypothetical questions are you going to ask me? What's the next question? What exactly would you have done when you woke up on the morning of Oct 14, 2008 if you were David Poile?

In regards your 15th direct hypothetical question of the thread, I would've signed Marc Savard the offseason prior to Legwand becoming UFA, and traded Legwand for the best return. How you like them apples?

You aint never gonna be happy, and I'm done playing your games.

Only question I care about is how are we going to win the playoffs, and if DP is the man to take us to the next level.

Old
03-20-2010, 03:28 PM
glenngineer

Dude? Dude, dude dude dude dude. Dude dude, dude dude dude dude. Dude dude dude dude dude. That's about all I get from your posts. Thanks for the laughs once again. Am I allowed to use the M word around here without getting banned?

Old
03-20-2010, 03:31 PM
IngloriusBuzzards

Quote:
Only time will tell if/when we get out of the first round.
Yea, but drawing the SHARKS in the 1st round again wouldn't be advised, and I would expect a 1st round exit. Making the playoffs in that scenario will be as good as it gets and you just couldn't blame Poile after we get another 1st round boot.

Old
03-20-2010, 03:34 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Dude? Dude, dude dude dude dude. Dude dude, dude dude dude dude. Dude dude dude dude dude. That's about all I get from your posts. Thanks for the laughs once again. Am I allowed to use the M word around here without getting banned?
No. Obviously the two of you strongly disagree and that's fine, but please refrain from making it into a flame war or dengerating the thread into personal attacks...

Old
03-20-2010, 04:03 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Acquiring Savard would have been good until it came extension time. There is no way we could afford two seasons at $7mil and one at $6.5mil. We wouldn't be able to extend Weber. Couldn't sign Suter. Wouldn't be able to give a proper raise to Hornqvist (before this is refuted with "he hasn't proven himself" there are teams who would most likely be willing to pay to find out). I would like to have Savard or Heatley or Kessel or Malkin et al, but the reality is we can't afford them while continuing to maintain a competitive team. The ticket sales just aren't there yet.

Old
03-20-2010, 05:43 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
No. Obviously the two of you strongly disagree and that's fine, but please refrain from making it into a flame war or dengerating the thread into personal attacks...
I don't think we strongly disagree at all.

Old
03-20-2010, 11:35 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Dude, this is what, the 15th direct question of this thread? How many hypothetical questions are you going to ask me? What's the next question? What exactly would you have done when you woke up on the morning of Oct 14, 2008 if you were David Poile?

In regards your 15th direct hypothetical question of the thread, I would've signed Marc Savard the offseason prior to Legwand becoming UFA, and traded Legwand for the best return. How you like them apples?

You aint never gonna be happy, and I'm done playing your games.

Only question I care about is how are we going to win the playoffs, and if DP is the man to take us to the next level.
we will win in the playoffs if we have a hot goalie and our core players are healthy. If Rinne plays as well as he is playing now we can win not only one but multiple rounds. Talent wise with the rise of Wilson and Hornqvist we are as deep as any team in the West, including San Jose or Chicago. Their top line gets the edge on ours but our 3rd and 4th lines are better then theirs, and our over all D is better(including our overpriced "shutdown" line of forwards in this).

Old
03-21-2010, 04:35 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
dulz why are you getting so mad at being asked to use your 20/20 vision to predict the past?

No matter the disagreement on the job of Poile and the overpayment of players. Please tell everyone the plan of the armchair GM that would be better using the proper timeline of UFA's, RFA's, and such.

Old
03-21-2010, 10:26 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
dulz why are you getting so mad at being asked to use your 20/20 vision to predict the past?
Can I borrow this line the next time the CBJ board starts kvetching yet again about our continued lack of a #1 center and #1 defenseman?

Because, seriously, it looks identical to this debate. Everybody swears up and down that we should have one by now if Howson was a worthy GM, and in the process they all conveniently ignore that no such players were ever available.

My definition of a good GM is one that does the best he can with the resources and circumstances presented to him. In that light, I think Poile is an extremely good GM.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
03-21-2010, 12:03 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
feel free viqsi

Old
03-21-2010, 03:09 PM
MarkMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

My definition of a good GM is one that does the best he can with the resources and circumstances presented to him. In that light, I think Poile is an extremely good GM.
Haha, this has universal appeal, can I use this the next time the Canucks board whine and moan that we didn't draft Weber despite our need for a #1 defenseman, or that we don't have that many "elite" prospects?

Old
03-21-2010, 09:17 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post

No matter the disagreement on the job of Poile and the overpayment of players. Please tell everyone the plan of the armchair GM that would be better using the proper timeline of UFA's, RFA's, and such.
I've played your games too, and have answered plenty of your hypotehecial scenarios. Done with it.

Old
03-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Steelhead16

Consider this dead horse beaten................Please!!!

Old
03-21-2010, 09:36 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
Consider this dead horse beaten................Please!!!
I agree. I've tried to end the conversation peacefully about 4 times now. Let's see what insult Glenn and NIF can come up with next. Must have missed out on being playground bully. A lot easier to do on internet message boards.

Old
03-21-2010, 09:38 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
I agree. I've tried to end the conversation peacefully about 4 times now. Let's see what insult Glenn and NIF can come up with next. Must have missed out on being playground bully. A lot easier to do on internet message boards.
You make me laugh. Thank you. I think you need a hug. It's all good dude. You have your opinion, I have mine. We agree to disagree. It's no biggie. I offer my hand in peace.

Old
03-21-2010, 09:43 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Quote:
You make me laugh. Thank you. I think you need a hug. It's all good dude. You have your opinion, I have mine. We agree to disagree. It's no biggie. I offer my hand in peace.
OK, thanks...the topic has run it's course now and I think everyone has had an ample opportunity to speak their mind...at this point it's the same thing over and over. The sides have been picked and I don't see anyone changing...so if you disagree with someone, then agree to disagree. That's the beauty of conversation...

Thread officially closed...if you have a really good reason why you want it re-opened...PM me...

Closed Thread