HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Opening Your Own Rink

Old
03-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Timzey

vCash: 500
Opening Your Own Rink

Anyone have any experience with opening your own rink. I am on a non-profit board in Norther California attempting to open a roller hockey rink. We have been at it for a couple years, and been lucky enough to purchase the flooring, boards, glass, scoreboards, etc.... (all used of course)... but no luck finding a building to put it in.

Has anyone done anything like this before? anyone have any suggestions for raising money? getting donations? or any other information that may help us along the way?

We live in a very wet climate, so setting it up outdoors wouldn't work for us, but any other suggestions or comments would be helpful.

We had a hockey program in the past, with nearly 100 players, that went belly up when we lost the building we were playing in. It was not a rink, just a warehouse with a flat cement floor. since we lost the building, we formed the board, got lucky finding the used rink, and have hit a brick wall when it comes to finding a place to install it. The closest places to play hockey are both over 3 hours away, so we are dyeing to play.

Timzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Hockeyfan68

While I know nothing that can help I admire your efforts and wish you the best of luck.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 08:04 PM
Timzey

thanks, we could use some luck.

Old
03-21-2010, 08:49 PM
XweekendwarriorX

have you asked anyone in the community or maybe even a ice hockey program in the area to help out? i know here in buffalo alot of the roller rinks are just a metal shell with really nothing else but a door or two to get in and out with make shift rooms to change in. i would be shocked to see a community not make an effort to help kids with programs like this.

XweekendwarriorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Timzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by XweekendwarriorX View Post
have you asked anyone in the community or maybe even a ice hockey program in the area to help out? i know here in buffalo alot of the roller rinks are just a metal shell with really nothing else but a door or two to get in and out with make shift rooms to change in. i would be shocked to see a community not make an effort to help kids with programs like this.
it has been ridiculously shocking. especially considering we have already bought the flooring/boards and everything. This area has never had any kind of real hockey before. There are no ice programs, there is no ice. We have spoken with many different government types and while they all support our ideas, they do not have the means to really make anything happen. Most of the kids around here play basketball, baseball, football and soccer.... most of the hockey people are transplants from other areas. So most of the parents from around here push their kids to play sports they are familiar with.

We are as grass roots as it gets in terms of developing a hockey program in this country. Right now we are working primarily on fund raising, with the hopes that we can rent a place on our own, and once we have the rink and programs up and running we're hoping for more support.

kind of a build it and they will come type deal. we've had a ton of interest, but without a home and active programs, people are more hesitant to help.

We are also in the process of writing some grants, and trying to get some funding that way, waiting to hear how that goes.

Old
03-21-2010, 09:34 PM
CuteHockeyBunny

I don't quite understand. Are you opening your own league/business or do you just want to rent an extremely large territory that will surely amount to 3000$+ a month?

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:52 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Did you contact the sharks and/or sharks ice?

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:01 PM
Hockeyfan68

I have given this some thought today and wondered what would happen if you went and spoke with a city councilman and pitch a "keep kids off drugs through roller hockey" theme or something similar.

You get $$$ help from the city program budget and offer free time on it to some inner city kids and hope they don't vandalize everything after smoking some joints.

But seriously there may be a public works sand hangar not being used that the rink could fit in or something similar.

Maybe an old gym with a bad floor so it isn't being used for basketball but a rink may fit in it instead.

None of this probably helps but whatever. I contributed .... again good luck.

Old
03-21-2010, 10:03 PM
budster
Schoolyard Puck

The roller hockey rink I played on in high school used it for indoor soccer half of the week (probably because there wasn't high enough demand for hockey). That might be a way to get it going...I dunno just throwin the idea out there.

budster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
The roller hockey rink I played on in high school used it for indoor soccer half of the week (probably because there wasn't high enough demand for hockey). That might be a way to get it going...I dunno just throwin the idea out there.
You just reminded me of something else ... what about indoor ice rink who take their ice off in the summer time? of course they have boards already but they may be interested in getting a league started.

I thought of this because the rink I played ice at all winter took their ice off and are now using it for baseball practice batting cages.

Old
03-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Timzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteHockeyBunny View Post
I don't quite understand. Are you opening your own league/business or do you just want to rent an extremely large territory that will surely amount to 3000$+ a month?
well we are a non profit so its not a business. but yes we are trying to rent a big enough building to house our rink and run leagues out of. we figure between hockey, roller derby (pretty big here) indoor soccer, and whatever else, we will be able to pay rent for the building and operating costs. $3000 a month would be a good estimate at how much we can afford, unfortunately most places cost more then that, and the ones that don't have had various other issues, zoning bering the primary one.

Old
03-21-2010, 10:12 PM
Timzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Did you contact the sharks and/or sharks ice?
we have contacted the sharks, and i actually wrote them again today.

I am not sure what shark's ice is (is it the roller complex they built?). we did buy our used rink from rollin' ice, which is the roller hockey rink the sharks replaced in san jose....

when we contacted them, right after they built the new complex, they weren't interested in helping out a community so far away, despite it still being shark country. At this point though, I am definitely going to keep trying. Thanks.

Old
03-21-2010, 10:15 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timzey View Post
we have contacted the sharks, and i actually wrote them again today.

I am not sure what shark's ice is (is it the roller complex they built?). we did buy our used rink from rollin' ice, which is the roller hockey rink the sharks replaced in san jose....

when we contacted them, right after they built the new complex, they weren't interested in helping out a community so far away, despite it still being shark country. At this point though, I am definitely going to keep trying. Thanks.
Sharks ice is the ice complex that the sharks have sponsored (don't know all of the arrangement), and it's one of the largest in existence and has the largest adult hockey program in the world.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Timzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by budster View Post
yes, we are planning on getting other sports to use the rink as much as possible. Problem is, they are all already playing somewhere and not as eager as we are to get this rink going. Fits into the "build it and they will come" category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
You just reminded me of something else ... what about indoor ice rink who take their ice off in the summer time? of course they have boards already but they may be interested in getting a league started.

I thought of this because the rink I played ice at all winter took their ice off and are now using it for baseball practice batting cages.
we don't have an ice rink either
thanks for the ideas though.

Old
03-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Timzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptjeff View Post
Sharks ice is the ice complex that the sharks have sponsored (don't know all of the arrangement), and it's one of the largest in existence and has the largest adult hockey program in the world.
yeah, thats what i thought, we are going to give it another shot and see if there is anything they can do to help. Hockey has grown tons in san jose and the bay area, hopefully they want to keep expanding north!

Old
03-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Timzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I have given this some thought today and wondered what would happen if you went and spoke with a city councilman and pitch a "keep kids off drugs through roller hockey" theme or something similar.

You get $$$ help from the city program budget and offer free time on it to some inner city kids and hope they don't vandalize everything after smoking some joints.

But seriously there may be a public works sand hangar not being used that the rink could fit in or something similar.

Maybe an old gym with a bad floor so it isn't being used for basketball but a rink may fit in it instead.

None of this probably helps but whatever. I contributed .... again good luck.
we have been trying to get some help from these types, but they don't have what we need (huge building).... maybe i should just run for office and push it through myself

Old
03-21-2010, 10:42 PM
HowToHockey

You would think that with how the economy was there would be a lot of vacant buildings around. Call your local real-estate agent, I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you find something, or point you to the right area to look.

You might have some luck in an industrial area, I know in London, On there was an indoor beach volley ball and rock climbling business set up in what (I guess) was an old factory. I lived right down the road and never even knew it was there until I went roller blading and happened to look inside.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Timzey, you and I have actually had emails about this via Linked-in.
So I will help you recommend a couple of things you can do.

1. Contact USA Hockey and asked then how to ask for a grant. There is a link on their web site that we can direct you too.

2. Contact the NHLPA, they also have grant money to help you with.
3. Because you are non-profit and you can kind of be considered as faith base because of the work you are doing for the community, contact the US Govt for small business stimulus packages that they are offering. You can find it here: http://www.sba.gov/stimulus/
4. Contact your local Chamber of Commerce. Once you tell them what your plans are for, they will get together a bunch of businessmen to help out. I recommend that you invest on the Chamber of commerce in your area.
5. Contact the Lion's Club in your area. they will help as well.
6. Contact the local chapter of Rotary Club International. They are major players in help non-profits.

When you are ready to develop your program, contact me and I will send you a step by step program on how to build it.

Hope this helps
Head coach

03-21-2010, 10:51 PM
james bond

The link to USAH is
http://www.usahockey.com/foundation/
If you get things up and running it may be worth while to make it into a business eventually. I am not sure exactly what your position is so not sure how I can help.

james bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Timzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post

1. Contact USA Hockey and asked then how to ask for a grant. There is a link on their web site that we can direct you too.

3. Because you are non-profit and you can kind of be considered as faith base because of the work you are doing for the community, contact the US Govt for small business stimulus packages that they are offering. You can find it here: http://www.sba.gov/stimulus/
4. Contact your local Chamber of Commerce. Once you tell them what your plans are for, they will get together a bunch of businessmen to help out. I recommend that you invest on the Chamber of commerce in your area.
6. Contact the local chapter of Rotary Club International. They are major players in help non-profits.

When you are ready to develop your program, contact me and I will send you a step by step program on how to build it.

Hope this helps
Head coach
all great ideas, and i will take you up on your offer when we get it up and running, in the meantime I am going to take this ball and run with it.

We have contacted some of these groups in the past, time for me to start making some formal presentations. Even the ones who have said no in the past, I'll be knocking on there doors again. Thank you.

Old
03-21-2010, 10:56 PM
Timzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavboyz View Post
You would think that with how the economy was there would be a lot of vacant buildings around. Call your local real-estate agent, I'm sure they would be more than happy to help you find something, or point you to the right area to look.

You might have some luck in an industrial area, I know in London, On there was an indoor beach volley ball and rock climbling business set up in what (I guess) was an old factory. I lived right down the road and never even knew it was there until I went roller blading and happened to look inside.
we have been in contact with realtors, and they have been showing us some buildings, most of which are not properly zoned or too expensive.... but yeah, there has got to be something that can fit the need. Thanks for the ideas.

Old
03-21-2010, 11:01 PM
james bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post

Hope this helps
Head coach
Head Coach, are you in the rink business, have you opened up rinks-programs before?

Old
03-21-2010, 11:05 PM
Timzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
The link to USAH is
http://www.usahockey.com/foundation/
If you get things up and running it may be worth while to make it into a business eventually. I am not sure exactly what your position is so not sure how I can help.
i am a board member on our non-profit organization. We will run the rink like a business once it is opened, but turning it into a for-profit business is not an option. We will have to hire employees, and charge for operation costs and rent, so it will basically become a non-profit business. Which is what we want, as a player/coach, and a board member our main goal is having a place to play, and a place for our kids to learn to play.

As far as help, we are looking for fund raising ideas, grant ideas, business ideas, pretty much anything to that may help. I am sure programs in other areas have been built under similar circumstances, and if anyone has anything from their experiences that may help us, we would love to hear them. thanks.

Old
03-21-2010, 11:20 PM
james bond

I dont mean to waste your time but aside from my ideas, there are others in similar situations,

This group is looking to finish their project:
http://www.glaciericerink.com/cat/1/153

This group is trying to get theirs reconstructed with a second sheet of ice:
http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...y&p=fundraiser

Do you have a website?

Old
03-22-2010, 12:01 AM
Timzey

Quote:
Originally Posted by james bond View Post
I dont mean to waste your time but aside from my ideas, there are others in similar situations,

This group is looking to finish their project:
http://www.glaciericerink.com/cat/1/153

This group is trying to get theirs reconstructed with a second sheet of ice:
http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...y&p=fundraiser

Do you have a website?
no waste, good to see what others are doing to reach their goals. The harley raffle is pretty crazy, we could get up and running with a donation like that.

We do have a web page, and also a facebook page, but they are "under construction" at the moment, i will post them when they are ready.