HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Please don't trade Andrew Cogliano

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-21-2010, 03:09 PM
  #51
Oilers1*
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,020
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
I too agree with this. That line has looked great. Good combo of speed, grit, size and checking.

Like a previous poster mentioned, we need to get rid of the dead weight. (Pisani, comrie Jaques, stone should all not be re-signed trade buy out of demote Moreau o'sully and Nilson.)
New additions most likely Seguin/Hall Eberle (Omark)

Hall Gagner Hemsky
Penner Cogliano Brule
Jones Horcoff Stortini
Omark Pouliot Eberle

Could be fun to watch
These are as good a lines as I have seen posted, but it goes to show you how far this team is from contending.

For Line 1 to be effective, need Hall to contribute right away, Gagner to provide consistent offense, and Hemsky to be 100% coming off shoulder surgery.

For Line 2, all three players have be more consistent.

Line 3, decent third-line, tough to see any offense there, though.

Line 4 is two smallish rookies and Marc 'I wonder why I'm in the NHL?' Pouliot.

I don't think you'll see Horcoff with wingers that bad, though. Like or not, he's here to stay and is a big cap-hit so its in the team's best interest to try and get him scoring again.

I'd like to see the Oilers go with three scoring lines and one energy line. This franchise always wants a 'third line checking line' but that went out with the Sega Genesis. Most successful teams throw quality offense at you with every line change.

Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Cogliano-Brule
Jones-Gagner-Eberle
Omark-Pouliot/Free Agent-Stortini

Quinn has said he likes playing a banger on each line. I know some people will stroke out over this, but I think Horcoff would be a good center for Hall. In my (very limited) viewings of Hall, he kind of reminds me of a young Hemsky in that he likes to handle the puck and tries alot of dangling/deking type plays. It wouldn't hurt to have a reliable, defensively-sound center watching out for him, when he inevitably gets stripped of the puck.

Oilers1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 03:21 PM
  #52
Red Deer Rebel
Registered User
 
Red Deer Rebel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Red Deer
Posts: 2,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dogge View Post
You're going to have to help me out here.

I was going over the roster looking for these midgets in our top 9 and I seem to come up empty in my attempts to locate them.

Sam Gagner --- 5'10" --- 191 lbs
Andrew Cogliano --- 5'10" --- 185 lbs
Gilbert Brule --- 5'10" --- 175 lbs (Doesn't matter. He plays like 6'2" 200 lbs.)
Jordan Eberle --- 5'10" --- 175 lbs



So please help me out. Actually, in all reality.. all 4 players are a decent enough size surrounded by the other bigger players we have on our roster.

There is little to no difference between 6' and 5'10".
Terrific post; I agree with your observations.

The players listed are smaller than average. Whoop-de-doo. The question is whether they can develop ways in which they can be effective.

Gagner - Our coaches should be showing Gags video of Marcel "the little bulldog" Dionne. Dionne was only 5'8", but was built like a tank, and could absolutely dominate down low. He wasn't that fleet of foot, either. Gagner has a similar build, and could turn into that kind of player (with the low center of gravity).

Cogliano - He has elite speed, and can play with a bit of grit. His size doesn't concern me.

Brule - Some of the strangest posts I have ever read concern this player. He is regularly referred to on these boards as a "smurf", even though he is a devastating physical player. He would be the last player I would want to send my top player out against if I were coaching the other team. One of the toughest players in the league pound-for-pound.

Eberle - Too early to say, but the kid has elite hands, quickness, and hockey sense. More than capable of avoiding the big gronks, and I'm looking forward to him undressing a few of them.

Red Deer Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:36 PM
  #53
deanmoriarty
Registered User
 
deanmoriarty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: great GOLD north
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,579
vCash: 500
I totally agree with the OP. It would be a terribly short-sighted move to give up on Cogs now. The Oilers are not in a position where they can be trading away 20-goal scorers. Also, management has stressed the importance of finding players who want to be Oilers, and we've heard Cogs say time and time again that he wants to play in Edmonton and be a part of the team going forward. On top of all this, after the season he has had it should be easy to get him inked to a deal that he'll be able to outperform next season. I want the Oilers to be known for their speed again, and with Hall/Seguin, MPS, Brule, and Cogliano, they've got the pieces to have incredible speed throughout the line-up.

deanmoriarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:51 PM
  #54
tru_gq
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: T-dot/E-town/Vancity
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 500
I'd be so mad if they let Cogliano go. He creates so much space with his speed and his effort backchecking is something that would look great on a checking or a line with a defensive liability like O'sullivan, jones , or stortini. However he has looked dynamic with penner and Brule

Penner - Gagner - Hemsky
Hall - Cogliano - Eberle
Svensson - Brule -Nilsson
Pouliot - Horcoff - O'sullivan
Stortini, Jones

against tougher opponents

Penner - Gagner - Hemsky
Svensson - Hall - Eberle
Jones - Cogliano - Brule
Stortini - Horcoff - O'sullivan
Pouliot, Nilsson

tru_gq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 05:55 PM
  #55
bicycles
Registered User
 
bicycles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Eberle/Hall - Gagner- Hemsky
Penner - Cogliano - Brule
Hall/Eberle - Horcoff - Potulny
Jacques/Stone/Pouliot/Jones/Stortini/vet

bicycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 06:11 PM
  #56
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,266
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaBargnani View Post
So then....whats the difference? Sign a ufa and sign MAP. Depth is not a bad thing. Kid has not played bad.
Depth or too many marginal players? If Pouliot wants to take a 2-way deal and is willing to take trips to the minors, then good times, if not he has no spot on this team.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 06:27 PM
  #57
John Hancock
Registered User
 
John Hancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yummy Snack View Post
Cogliano has been our ironman. He hasn't missed a game in his entire career! That shows a lot of durability.
For a team that has been absolutely decimated by injuries for years, that's a pretty good point. For a small player, Cogliano is durable.

The problem I have with trading Cogliano now is, he's not going to fetch anything. Even in the Heatley deal, he had the least trade value out of the 3 players we offered. He has less now. If we traded him now, it would be for a mid-pick, which would likely be a prospect that doesn't make the NHL, nevermind a prospect with the same tools that Cogliano has.

At least Cogliano has the speed and puck handling ability to potentially make an impact in the NHL. We've seen him have some limited success at this level. We shouldn't be trading him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, which is all we would get for him at the moment, realistically.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 07:38 PM
  #58
jbean
Registered User
 
jbean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hancock View Post
We shouldn't be trading him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick, which is all we would get for him at the moment, realistically.
It would be quite reckless to throw him away for a bag of pucks. Keep him around with the rest of the youth movement, re-sign him when he becomes an RFA for dirt cheap. The only way I would want him moved is if we package him in a trade, a possibility perhaps in the future (hopefully he develops and raises his value). I would like to see the Oilers go after Halak, Cogliano or Brule are pieces I would be willing to giving up for a potential starting goalie.

jbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 07:45 PM
  #59
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 11,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers1 View Post
These are as good a lines as I have seen posted, but it goes to show you how far this team is from contending.

For Line 1 to be effective, need Hall to contribute right away, Gagner to provide consistent offense, and Hemsky to be 100% coming off shoulder surgery.

For Line 2, all three players have be more consistent.

Line 3, decent third-line, tough to see any offense there, though.

Line 4 is two smallish rookies and Marc 'I wonder why I'm in the NHL?' Pouliot.

I don't think you'll see Horcoff with wingers that bad, though. Like or not, he's here to stay and is a big cap-hit so its in the team's best interest to try and get him scoring again.

I'd like to see the Oilers go with three scoring lines and one energy line. This franchise always wants a 'third line checking line' but that went out with the Sega Genesis. Most successful teams throw quality offense at you with every line change.

Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Cogliano-Brule
Jones-Gagner-Eberle
Omark-Pouliot/Free Agent-Stortini

Quinn has said he likes playing a banger on each line. I know some people will stroke out over this, but I think Horcoff would be a good center for Hall. In my (very limited) viewings of Hall, he kind of reminds me of a young Hemsky in that he likes to handle the puck and tries alot of dangling/deking type plays. It wouldn't hurt to have a reliable, defensively-sound center watching out for him, when he inevitably gets stripped of the puck.
For the love of god, how can people still be trotting out Freakin Horcoff on the 1st line. He is the definition of a boat anchor, he prevents better players (Gagner, Coglinao) from getting ice time and prime scoring ice time. Horcoff will be a good centre for Hall if we are hoping Hall gets as little creativity from the centre position as possible.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 08:27 PM
  #60
Philly85
Moody'
 
Philly85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,393
vCash: 500
Don't mind Cogliano but he should be prime trade bait to help the team fill some other glaring holes. I hope he isn't on this team come next year.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 09:58 PM
  #61
dionysios*
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: edmonton AB
Country: Greece
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Brannigan View Post
I make this topic as a plea to one Steve Tambellini

Please do not trade Cogliano. He is only just coming in to his own, if I have to watch him go wide on any Oiler defenseman in the next 20 years I will be very sad.
he's getting traded at teh draft along with a 2nd round pick for goaltending prospect jack campbell.

dionysios* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 10:05 PM
  #62
dionysios*
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: edmonton AB
Country: Greece
Posts: 361
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dogge View Post
You're going to have to help me out here.

I was going over the roster looking for these midgets in our top 9 and I seem to come up empty in my attempts to locate them.

Sam Gagner --- 5'10" --- 191 lbs
Andrew Cogliano --- 5'10" --- 185 lbs
Gilbert Brule --- 5'10" --- 175 lbs (Doesn't matter. He plays like 6'2" 200 lbs.)
Jordan Eberle --- 5'10" --- 175 lbs



So please help me out. Actually, in all reality.. all 4 players are a decent enough size surrounded by the other bigger players we have on our roster.

There is little to no difference between 6' and 5'10".
eberle is not 5'10" wherever you found that information it was false. thats like a jew walking around a nude beach with a 2" dick and bragging about his 9" of juice. not gonna fool anybody.

dionysios* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2010, 11:34 PM
  #63
Mentallydull
Registered User
 
Mentallydull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Oil Country
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,088
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysios View Post
eberle is not 5'10" wherever you found that information it was false. thats like a jew walking around a nude beach with a 2" dick and bragging about his 9" of juice. not gonna fool anybody.
Yahoo Sports has him at 5'10" 174.
Wikipedia has him at 5'11" 187.
WHL Website has him at 5'11" 184.
HockeyDB has him at 5'10" 174.

Oh but by all means, feel free to let us know why you think he's shorter

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:35 AM
  #64
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Depth or too many marginal players? If Pouliot wants to take a 2-way deal and is willing to take trips to the minors, then good times, if not he has no spot on this team.
Theres nothing wrong with Pouliot being the 4th/5th center on the team. He's a good player. You don't need your bottom six guys to score 20 goals. Pouliots been a good 2 way player and is looking like he can develop into something better. It's not like we're winning a cup next year lets see this guy develop.


Last edited by Tavaresmagicalplay*: 03-22-2010 at 01:44 AM.
Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:43 AM
  #65
John Hancock
Registered User
 
John Hancock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallydull View Post
Yahoo Sports has him at 5'10" 174.
Wikipedia has him at 5'11" 187.
WHL Website has him at 5'11" 184.
HockeyDB has him at 5'10" 174.

Oh but by all means, feel free to let us know why you think he's shorter
But... But... He made fun of Jews, he has to be right.

-JH.

John Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:48 AM
  #66
Tavaresmagicalplay*
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 19,306
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysios View Post
eberle is not 5'10" wherever you found that information it was false. thats like a jew walking around a nude beach with a 2" dick and bragging about his 9" of juice. not gonna fool anybody.
I don't get why so many people have to nitpick peoples height Oiler fans do this with Gagner too. Everybody knows St. Louis is not 5'9, everybody knew Yzerman was not really 5'11 everybody knew Vernon was not really 5'8 everybody knows Scotty Niedermayer is not really 6'0. Who cares what the exact number is?

Tavaresmagicalplay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:18 PM
  #67
Game 8
Registered User
 
Game 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,249
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Don't mind Cogliano but he should be prime trade bait to help the team fill some other glaring holes. I hope he isn't on this team come next year.
This team is far beyond hole filling. We simply do not have the talent at any position. When you are hole filling you have one or two shortcomings. The only trades we should be making are Vets for draft picks, or prospects/projects. We need to decide who our core is (this is the toughest job there is as maybe you end up trading a young player who takes off and shines on another team) and draft at or near the top. That's the only hope we have of not watching 10th place hockey for the rest of our time....

Game 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:21 PM
  #68
Musicman798
Registered User
 
Musicman798's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 337
vCash: 500
Forgive me if I'm wrong but in training camp weren't they running a line of

Penner-Cogliano-Eberle?

They seemed to click pretty well together IIRC they just weren't getting the bounces, maybe that's where Cogs fits?

Musicman798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.