HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#72: Thrashers @ Flyers - March 21, 2010 - 7:00 PM (ET)

Old
03-22-2010, 11:12 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

vCash: 500
I'd kill to have Ellis right now.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:14 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Well atleast Lavy is taking charge

Timmy P:

Quote:
Punishment: back-to-back games and then skate their ***** off next day; #Flyers will have to push back their charter to Ottawa

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:18 AM
CptCannon

I like that.

Giving players fair choice to either skate their ***** off during games, or during practice.

CptCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:36 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Does he not know how to negotiate? Every time a goalie is dealt the return is nothing close to Carter or Giroux.
Well, that's because most goalies that actually get dealt aren't worth that much. Vokoun certainly isn't, given his age and salary. If you're talking about someone like Price...another story, I think. That combination of age and potential rarely gets dealt at the goaltending position.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:02 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosnhoj View Post

Anyway, Holmgren ****ed any chance the Flyers had at making a move for a goalie by announcing Emery's injury when there was still time before the trade deadline went into effect.
exactly. i brought this up as soon as he mentioned it. I was like WTF is Holmgren doing? Any price the Flyers had for getting a goalie increased alot after that move. Just stupidity. If this organization really believes that the goaltending situation was "fine" with Boucher and Leighton then they have problems. I know Holmgren and Laviolette would never come out and publicly say our goaltending isnt good enough. So now because of the incompitance of Holmgren we have a career backup and a ECHL scrub for our playoff push.
awesome.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:16 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Well, that's because most goalies that actually get dealt aren't worth that much. Vokoun certainly isn't, given his age and salary. If you're talking about someone like Price...another story, I think. That combination of age and potential rarely gets dealt at the goaltending position.
I meant the goalies available at the deadline. Vokoun isn't worth Carter as you said and was a completely unrealistic request from my point of view. The Panthers will never get anything remotely to a player like Carter and no contending team would ever remove their leading scorer when they are trying to win a cup. So I would think there would be room to negotiate unless they did not want to deal with Holmgren.

The same goes for Biron and Roli. Larry claims everyone was demanding Giroux, but the Isles know they will never get such a player. So why are teams making these outrageous demands? Are they starting high and willing to negotiate to something more realistic or is everyone out to screw Holmgren because he's an idiot?

I just find it hard to believe the Flyers couldn't make a deal for a goalie without getting screwed over.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:22 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
exactly. i brought this up as soon as he mentioned it. I was like WTF is Holmgren doing? Any price the Flyers had for getting a goalie increased alot after that move. Just stupidity. If this organization really believes that the goaltending situation was "fine" with Boucher and Leighton then they have problems. I know Holmgren and Laviolette would never come out and publicly say our goaltending isnt good enough. So now because of the incompitance of Holmgren we have a career backup and a ECHL scrub for our playoff push.
awesome.
This is false.

GMs all know when players get put on LTIR, so they would have known Emery was out Long term anyway

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:29 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
This is false.

GMs all know when players get put on LTIR, so they would have known Emery was out Long term anyway
GM's all know what? Holmgren didnt have to reveal he was out for the rest of the season the day before the trade deadline. Thats the problem I have with it. The timing of it. You dont think the price went up as soon as it was announced Emery was done?

Old
03-22-2010, 01:31 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
GM's all know what? Holmgren didnt have to reveal he was out for the rest of the season the day before the trade deadline. Thats the problem I have with it. The timing of it. You dont think the price went up as soon as it was announced Emery was done?
Well 1: We needed Emery's cap space so he had to be LTIR'd for an goalie acquisitons.

2: In order to be on the LTIR you have to be out a LONG time. This is not the regular IR. GMs knew Emery was a nonfactor and yes that did up value, but Holmgren's statement had nothing to do with it

Old
03-22-2010, 01:38 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:
Well 1: We needed Emery's cap space so he had to be LTIR'd for an goalie acquisitons.

2: In order to be on the LTIR you have to be out a LONG time. This is not the regular IR. GMs knew Emery was a nonfactor and yes that did up value, but Holmgren's statement had nothing to do with it
yeah that cleared cap space really helped out.
Dont think Holmgren went goalie shopping, he thought Leighton and Boucher were the answers. He was clearing space for a run at Hamhuis.
so I guess it was just a coincidence that Emery was put on LTIR right at the trade deadline.

Old
03-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Larry44

Quote:

Thank you for 1, which is stating the obvious but obviously needed stating.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 01:43 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
yeah that cleared cap space really helped out.
Dont think Holmgren went goalie shopping, he thought Leighton and Boucher were the answers. He was clearing space for a run at Hamhuis.
so I guess it was just a coincidence that Emery was put on LTIR right at the trade deadline.
He did shop around, and said prices were too high.

He still ****ed up by not getting someone better than Boucher as a number 2, but my point was that Holmgren saying Emery was done had no effect on the market. Putting him on the LTIR did have an effect, but I think it was a necessity to any possible deal.

Old
03-22-2010, 02:04 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:
He did shop around, and said prices were too high.

He still ****ed up by not getting someone better than Boucher as a number 2, but my point was that Holmgren saying Emery was done had no effect on the market. Putting him on the LTIR did have an effect, but I think it was a necessity to any possible deal.
teams knew we needed a goalie. You think anyone was going to do us a favor? think back when the Flyers lost Primeau and Roenick right before the deadline and Clarke had to surrender a goalie prospect and 3 draft picks to get a center that was going to be a UFA after the season.
My point being that if teams know you are in a spot they are going to take you behind the woodshed. That is the only thing I will give Holmgren credit for is that he didnt cave in and give what really was our only trade assets for what would be a marginal upgrade in goal in JVR or Giroux.
I think having key injuries does play into asking prices for players that teams need.

Old
03-22-2010, 02:12 PM
HoverCarle*

Yes, did you read anything I posted?

I said having Emery on the LTIR DEFINITELY made teams ask for more. My point was just that Holmgren's statement had no effect, since people knew he was out already

Old
03-22-2010, 02:15 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:
Yes, did you read anything I posted?

I said having Emery on the LTIR DEFINITELY made teams ask for more. My point was just that Holmgren's statement had no effect, since people knew he was out already
yeah I read it.
Im done with this. just going around in circles since I cant get my point across.

Old
03-22-2010, 02:21 PM
EasyMac

Quote:
yeah I read it.
Im done with this. just going around in circles since I cant get my point across.
What Hovercraft is trying to get across is that Homer announcing Emery was on LTIR did nothing to cause the price of goalies to be driven up, but rather it was the act of putting Emery on LTIR that caused it, because as soon as that was done every other GM was aware of the situation.

Unless you are suggesting that he shouldn't have put Emery on LTIR, however he would have needed to likely to fit in any acquired goalie.

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 02:21 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
yeah I read it.
I agreed with all of your points, except about Holmgren's press statement