HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Just Getting Started

Old
03-22-2010, 11:12 AM
nycking23

vCash: 500
Just Getting Started

I'm 22 and have always been a big fan of the game, but my family never had the money to allow me to try playing it between skates, league fees, equipment, etc. the most i had was a $10 stick from modells and a tennis ball to play in the street with.

now that im in college and have a job, i have decided to finally do what i always wanted to do when i was younger. i have been to an open skate a couple of times and used rental skates, and i really enjoyed it. i am able to go forwards fine, and somewhat stop. i plan on continuing to go to open skates until i feel confident enough in my skating to move on to a local learn to play hockey clinic.

i just have a couple of questions

should i pick up my own skates now or wait until i am a little more experienced? im not sure if there is something i should be looking for in skates that i wont know what i need until i have skated a bit. i fully intend on getting them and working with them before i start hockey, but i dont know how much skate experience i need before i can make a well-informed decision on what skates. budget will likely be 2-300

i have been browsing this forum and picking up bits of information here and there, but a lot of the phrases people use are foreign to me. is there any kind of website that teaches the basic terms used? things i wouldnt know from just being a fan

lastly, if by any chance someone in the nyc area knows of a good intro class/league for me to break into i would really appreciate it. obviously i will be looking into it on my own as well, but if someone had some useful insight it would really help

thanks for any help anyone is able to provide, and im hoping to continue enjoying my path to playing hockey

nycking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:33 AM
SouthpawTRK

I would definitely invest in a pair of skates if you feel like you want to make the initial investments in hockey (getting the rest of your gear; pads, gloves, pants, sticks, etc...). Rental skates at times may not fit as well (or depends what sizes they have left) and for some may end up hurting your feet with blisters and hot spots.

I would greatly recommend that you go to your local hockey shop and try on any skates that are in your budget (or reasonably close). Let the folks know at the shop your experience level, so that way they can bring out skates that may be the best for you. Dependent upon the shop you are at, they may have some really good deals on last year model skates, so as long as they fit, it's a win-win situation for yourself since they will probably be drastically reduced. If you invest in a pair of skates that fit well and can withstand the wear that you will putting them through, you can have a pair of skates last for quite some time.

As far as classes go, I would check out your local rink and see what kind of programs they offer; standard ice skating lessons for the rudimentary skills, power skating and hockey lessons. Generally if you take hockey lessons you will most likely need to have all of your hockey gear. You might also want to ask if they have stick and puck sessions; basically a time when you can go out with skates, stick, puck and gloves and shoot around (some rinks require full gear).

Hopefully this helps, shoot me a PM if you have other questions.

SouthpawTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:45 AM
nystromshairstylist
Puck Control Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycking23 View Post
should i pick up my own skates now or wait until i am a little more experienced?
Get your own skates now, the sooner the better to get your feet accustomed to them, and to improve your skating faster. If you wear a different pair of rentals each week, your "feel" in the skates will change impeding growth.

Quote:
budget will likely be 2-300
At that level you can good Bauers, Grafs, etc. - try on many before finalizing your purchase.

Quote:
i have been browsing this forum and picking up bits of information here and there, but a lot of the phrases people use are foreign to me. is there any kind of website that teaches the basic terms used? things i wouldnt know from just being a fan
List the phrases that are unclear, and we can try to provide definitions for you.

Quote:
lastly, if by any chance someone in the nyc area knows of a good intro class/league for me to break into i would really appreciate it. obviously i will be looking into it on my own as well, but if someone had some useful insight it would really help
In the NYC area, you have several options: City Ice in Long Island City, and Chelsea Piers and Lasker in Manhattan.

Myself, I go to City Ice as it is the closest and most reasonably priced, plus being a new program they are eager to provide good service and support. Friday nights they have started a "D5" - level program, which is a beginner's league. I've gone 3x so far, and we usually spend the first 45 minutes of the 1 1/2 hours doing drills, then the next 45 playing in a scrimmage game.

As far as I can tell, it is the most reasonably priced of the 3 rinks I mentioned, but there are others as well, such as World Ice near Shea stadium/Flushing, Aviator in Crooklyn, etc.

Regardless of rink though - you will need to buy skates, gloves, pads, etc. - full equipment.

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Skraut

Quote:
I'm 22 and have always been a big fan of the game, but my family never had the money to allow me to try playing it between skates, league fees, equipment, etc. the most i had was a $10 stick from modells and a tennis ball to play in the street with.
Good for you, I'm 33, and just started playing this past year, it was something I always wanted to do, but I grew up 50 miles from the nearest rink. If I can do it as uncoordinated and as overweight as I was, anybody can do it

Quote:
now that im in college and have a job, i have decided to finally do what i always wanted to do when i was younger. i have been to an open skate a couple of times and used rental skates, and i really enjoyed it. i am able to go forwards fine, and somewhat stop. i plan on continuing to go to open skates until i feel confident enough in my skating to move on to a local learn to play hockey clinic.

i just have a couple of questions

should i pick up my own skates now or wait until i am a little more experienced? im not sure if there is something i should be looking for in skates that i wont know what i need until i have skated a bit. i fully intend on getting them and working with them before i start hockey, but i dont know how much skate experience i need before i can make a well-informed decision on what skates. budget will likely be 2-300
Pick out skates now. It'll be harder actually at first, because not only will you be breaking in skates, you will also be breaking in your feet getting accustomed to skating. But it will be worth it in the long run. Don't get hung up on brand, go to a hockey shop and try on EVERYTHING, and try them on several times. Make the poor sales assistant at the store work for his money. Because getting the wrong skates will make everything a nightmare.

Quote:

thanks for any help anyone is able to provide, and im hoping to continue enjoying my path to playing hockey
First look into adult lessons at a local rink. They'll be taught by figure skaters but they will help you learn the basic technique and figure skaters have to be very good on their edges, and that helps hockey players as well.

When you get good forward/backward forward crossovers, and the occasional backwards crossover, take a look at Hockey North America http://www.hna.com I joined one of their adult learn to play hockey leagues in Cleveland, and we had training for 8 weeks from a guy with his name on the Stanley Cup, and are now playing all together as our own team. Granted we've been together for almost 4 months, and are playing against other D-League teams that have been together for 4 years, but it's a place to start, and a good place to learn the fundamentals.

One other suggestion:

Pick out your gear now, and don't be afraid to wear it to an open skate. There are 2 types of people learning how to skate at an open skate 1) Those who wear equipment, and 2) Those who haven't been to the E.R. yet. Wearing Equipment also lets you try things you wouldn't normally do, and pushes you beyond your comfort zone. If you aren't as afraid to fall, you're more willing to try new things. Besides, you're going to be playing while encumbered by the gear, you might as well learn how to skate wearing it.

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Definatly get a pair of skates, as it's easially the most important piece of equipment you will own.

Ignore the cheap "beginner" skates (as they are almost as bad as rentals) and get something mid range. They'll allow you to flex them well enough to actually learn to skate properly on, as well as have enough support for legs that have a lot of muscle developlent still to come. I won't recommend a brand, because they all fit differently, so try on everything you can.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I've been writing this for a couple weeks now, check it out:

Hockey Equipment: A Beginner's Guide

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:58 PM
HowToHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I've been writing this for a couple weeks now, check it out:

Hockey Equipment: A Beginner's Guide
Wow good guide! I also liked this hockey equipment overview quick and to the point, but does not include price points.

HowToHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:18 PM
blueberrydanish

If there is anymore questions ya have try searchin through this section, these threads come up often so you might be able to find more help in other threads.

Not intending to offend the OP or anything, but as often as these threads come up there should be a sticky or something really might be helpful and keep everything to one thread just making things simpler for people.

blueberrydanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 08:22 PM
nycking23

thanks for the help and suggestions

my brother gave me a pair of skates he had in high school a couple of years ago, and they feel great on my feet. they are bauer elite skates, and i cant wait to get out on the ice tomorrow night with these instead of a pair of junk rentals. are these halfway decent skates or should i still look for something else?

nycking23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 09:13 PM
gojacketsgo61
Fire the Refs!

I'd recommend getting a cheap pair of skates since your starting off and since your a college student you won't be able to spend much money. You can get some decent bauers,RBK's, Easton and CCM skates from 99-300.
Also you should try to get in some free skates, don't worry if your bad at skating 80% of the people there will be. Also skating/hockey lessons in general will benefit (if you have the time). Also go into your LHS (local hockey shop/store) and try on some gear, look around and see what brands and fits you like. I wouldn't recommend getting everything online first time playing, you won't know what will fit you or be comfortable.

When your comfortable try and join a league, just have fun in it. You will probably not be a great player in that league unless your a natural, But that's fine the more practice the more you will grow and develop Just find out the basics (crossovers, Stopping, Starts, Tight Turns, basic shooting and passing skills) which you can find in free guides as stated above.

Bottom line when you get in the league; Try not to get mad, will be hard but just laugh it off it's a beer league, everyone is drunk anyways they won't care

gojacketsgo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

Hockey Equipment shouldn't cost you all that much. especially if you buy used ****... (used shoulder pads, shin pads, hockey pants, you should be able to find at used sports stores.

probably want to get new gloves though... Unless you find a sick pair of vintage Kohos.... haha

skates, I'd usually recommend some sort of Bauer supremes/ vapors... but RBK is pretty damned good. I've used Bauer my whole life, switched to RBK this year, and i freaking love em' plz don't spend more than 200 dollars on skates though... it's a bit excessive if your just starting to say they least.. haha

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote