HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers sign Lee Baldwin

Old
03-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
imo the rangers HAVE to get kovalchuk and that's got to be at the expense of redden rozsival and gilroy.

sanguinetti can do gilroy's job just do it for about 1 mil cheaper.

the rangers though should bring in a cheap gritty veteran guy like eaton or mara or mckee that type to play on the third pair.

imo you replace those three with sanguinetti mcdonagh and that cheap veteran. the reason is that staal mdz and girardi are the guys getting the big minutes and will probably get even more next year, so really we're looking to fill in the bottom half. if we can do that with talented cheap rookies and a cheap gritty vet, we can def make some moves to fix the forward group.
This is the ideal scenario. Replace Rozsival with Derek Morris for 2 mil, Redden with either Sauer or McDonagh, and replace Gilroy with Sangs( Which [ am 100% for).

But in this case we also need a veteran 7th who can play minutes, in case MDZ isnt ready for top 4 defensive minutes, and neither is Sauer/McDonagh.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:47 AM
King of cool
The winning hat

vCash: 500
Quote:
He will probably be assigned to the Wolf Pack for the remainder of the season and see where he goes from there. We will attempt to get some more information on him and keep you up to date.

http://howlings2.wordpress.com/2010/...medium=twitter

http://twitter.com/HowlingsToday

King of cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:51 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
This is the ideal scenario. Replace Rozsival with Derek Morris for 2 mil, Redden with either Sauer or McDonagh, and replace Gilroy with Sangs( Which [ am 100% for).

But in this case we also need a veteran 7th who can play minutes, in case MDZ isnt ready for top 4 defensive minutes, and neither is Sauer/McDonagh.
morris ok another guy in that mold but yah that's the idea. someone 2 mil or cheaper that's a veteran guy not afraid to play with an edge. im not a big morris fan but yes you are on the same page.

mdz is playing top 4 mins right now though and that's not going to change. i expect him to be given even more minutes next year.

we didn't have a 7th guy all year and imo that hurt us, but you know who's out there as a UFA this summer. Our good buddy jason strudwick. and the best part about signing him is he can play wing on the fourth line as a poor man's enforcer. We can have our fourth line enforcer and 7th dman with one signing. We need to save money here incase we can't move brashear. torts only plays his goon a minute or two a night anyway so having strudwick would be perfect. i always thought it was a mistake letting him go. i'd love to see if we can get him back here.

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:24 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:

You seen Morris play lately? He's a bottom pair defenseman at best. Hardly the ideal scenario. In fact (40 year old) Matt Schneider has played much better for the Coyotes since they were both acquired.

What this team needs is a number one defenseman. Unfortunately barring a trade, we'll have to settle for Hamhuis, Volchenkov or perhaps Paul Martin.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:27 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
What this team needs is a number one defenseman. Unfortunately barring a trade, we'll have to settle for Hamhuis, Volchenkov or perhaps Paul Martin.
Or Gudbranson.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 12:46 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
You seen Morris play lately? He's a bottom pair defenseman at best. Hardly the ideal scenario. In fact (40 year old) Matt Schneider has played much better for the Coyotes since they were both acquired.

He wasn't bad for the Bruins, and he wasn't bad for us last season. I bet Schneider is playing with a bit of a chip on his shoulder right now. But hell, I thought we should have signed him this summer.

Volchenkov is one of the best defensive defensemen in hockey, but if that overrated Komisarek got 4.5 per, Volchenkov is going to get 5 at least. We can't afford that here. Maybe if we move Rozsival I guess, but that's still a lot of money considering we've still got Redden.

Hamhuis is a decent player, but I don't think he solves many of our problems. Not worth the money he'll be paid, either.

Martin...yeah, he'd be nice. I'm just sick and ****ing tired of stealing New Jersey's players.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Quote:

Nah the team needs more scoring. Our organizational depth at D will solve that problem be it sooner or later. I dont want to toss money at a Volchenkov or a Martin.

Derek Morris is more an concept of mine than an actual player want. A top 4 vet dman with nothing fancy or offensive about his game that can fill Rozsival's role on this team for 3 mil cheaper.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

if we make those moves that's exactly what we need a bottom pairing dman on the cheap. we SHOULD NOT go out looking to sign another top pairing guy. we're developing our own. what we need is depth if we move rosy redden and gilroy, and we need it cheap.

the rangers very well could draft one of the big 3 dmen this year and add him to staal mdz girardi sanguinetti and mcdonagh. that might even be the smartest move. i think if gudbranson is there you take him. fowler will be gone in the top 3 picks that i'm sure of but if we end up with a 5 6 or 7 pick gudbranson could be the guy.

personally my heart is set on seguin then nino in that order. but if i can get fowler or gudbranson i'd do it.

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 03:30 PM
The Thomas J.*

YAY another defensemen.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 05:35 PM
PanMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
if we make those moves that's exactly what we need a bottom pairing dman on the cheap. we SHOULD NOT go out looking to sign another top pairing guy. we're developing our own. what we need is depth if we move rosy redden and gilroy, and we need it cheap.

the rangers very well could draft one of the big 3 dmen this year and add him to staal mdz girardi sanguinetti and mcdonagh. that might even be the smartest move. i think if gudbranson is there you take him. fowler will be gone in the top 3 picks that i'm sure of but if we end up with a 5 6 or 7 pick gudbranson could be the guy.

personally my heart is set on seguin then nino in that order. but if i can get fowler or gudbranson i'd do it.
I really don't want to draft another defenceman with our first. We have so many already. What we need is a first line forward, preferably center. Now, if we come up and the d-man is the best player available...well, i don't know. I'd really like for us to trade up and get seguin though. I'd be willing to give up our 1st next year and girardi to move up.

PanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 05:38 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanMan View Post
I really don't want to draft another defenceman with our first. We have so many already. What we need is a first line forward, preferably center. Now, if we come up and the d-man is the best player available...well, i don't know. I'd really like for us to trade up and get seguin though. I'd be willing to give up our 1st next year and girardi to move up.
It will, unfortunately, take more than that package to get us seguin....it will take a lot more.

Emptyvoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 05:55 PM
Leetch66

We could have more offense if our defense would just shoot the puck quicker...we have to be the absolute worst at doing that . Our team must have led the league in point shots blocked for taking so long . Sometimes the other team does a complete line change before anybody rifles it towards the net...well it almost seems like that sometimes !

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 05:59 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

If Sangs &/or Sauer &/or McD are deemed ready for the NHL next season aren't we better off getting them through their growing pains ASAP even if it means a bad year for our D next year. We aren't going anywhere next year anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 06:01 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post

Martin...yeah, he'd be nice. I'm just sick and ****ing tired of stealing New Jersey's players.
I am too but among available defensemen, he's the best combination of talent and age.

Old
03-22-2010, 06:47 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Or Gudbranson.
Nice thoight but that's a few years away.

Old
03-22-2010, 06:59 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
You sound like you are friends with Gilroy or something being that he told you about the Higgins trade...then you call him a joke?
I think he made whoopie with the poster's gf in high school now he's bitter.

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Who says he's an offensive defenseman? He barely scored in Alaska last year. Even in BCHL he wasn't scoring a great deal until last year. Who followed this guy enough to tell if he's really skilled, and if so, please let us know why he hasn't scored before.

He's actually pretty big and gets a lot of PIM, so at least going by stats, he seems more like a defensive guy than offensive. Has anyone watched him (and actually paid attention to him)?

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:41 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:

Derek Morris will get at least a million more than 2 mil.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:29 AM
PanMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
It will, unfortunately, take more than that package to get us seguin....it will take a lot more.
Even if we have the 5th pick? Hey, my ears are open if I'm Sather. We have enough 'good' prospects, we need a future superstar now!

PanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 10:02 AM
redfzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Poti is a former first round pick, who has carved out a pretty good NHL career. He didn't really fit in here, but he's certainly playering an important role on a team that might very well win the President's Trophy.

If Gilroy can do anywhere near as well, he'll have a decent career in the NHL. However, he has to progress rapidly from here and I don't know if he can. One thing I do know: if he's here next year, he will be blocking another prospect (most likely Sangs) from winning a roster spot. I seriously doubt the Rangers can afford to add another rookie with such a young defense.
Poti was a 3rd round pick (59th overall) in '96.

redfzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 05:46 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Didn't see this posted anywhere else...From USA Today

Quote:
Here is Red Line''s list of the top available college free agents:

4. Lee Baldwin/LD Alaska Anchorage, 6-4/203, April 22, 1988 (Fresh.)

Tall and mobile freshman blue-liner plays beyond his years and in all situations. Smooth skater is nimble on his feet. Head-mans the puck cleanly and remains poised, making safe decisions under pressure. Supports the offensive rush and opportunistically pinches into openings from the point. Has a great reach and plays with sensible physicality, but isn't a consistent force yet and has a lot of bulk yet to be added to his massive frame.

Old
03-23-2010, 07:11 PM
squishy

He signed an ATO with Hartford today, so we could get a look as soon as this weekend.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 12:10 AM
chosen

Now the Rangers have the top 47 young dmen in all of hockey. The rest of the league wishes they had it so good.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 06:33 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
The 6-foot-3, 215-pounder showed some encouraging signs offensively this season and he gets around the ice pretty well, but like most young defenseman needs plenty of work in his own zone.

Turning pro will deliver him twice as many games as he would get in college, so presumably that will help hasten his development.
Read more: http://community.adn.com/adn/node/150807#ixzz0j5oRvPvG

If Baldwin plays in HFD next season(instead of the ECHL),he joins Sam Klassen and Tomas Kundratek as first year pros. Ryan McDonagh could make it 4 first year pros if he signs and is assigned to the AHL.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2010, 07:38 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
No risk, decent reward on this signing. Like it.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote