HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Go Big or Go Home at the Draft

Old
03-22-2010, 07:41 PM
otto1219

vCash: 500
Go Big or Go Home at the Draft

I was reading the ESPN NHL rumor page and one of the tidbit enticers said that the Oilers wanted to make a huge trade so they could get Seguin and Hall. Obviously, it is very unlikely, but it got me thinking about two pretty similar scenarios.

Based on our depth in prospects, would anyone trade all our picks for the 2010 the 1 or 2 overall this year. This is considering we finish around 7th or 8th overall pick. (Leaving us with one pick in 2010)

The second scenario, would anyone trade our 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, maybe a prospect for our missing 3rd for an additional top 10 pick (Leaving us with just 2 picks this year)?

I ask this question because of our depth at defensive prospects, our elite goalie, and our entire lack of scoring. Adding either Hall or Seguin would give us a very bright future with Kreider, Grachev, Werek, Anisimov, Dubinsky, and Callahan. Scenario two would leave us with two potential superstars in the future.

Why would a team give up a top pick? A rebuilding team like Edmonton could entirely transform their team with the depth projected in this draft. It would leave them with a 7th or 8th overall pick, two early 2nd rounders, etc, and an ability to make trades and target players in the draft they really want.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 07:42 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
If we want an additional top 10 pick, we could trade next year's 1st, this year's second and a young roster player/good prospect.

No need to move ALL our picks this year.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 07:46 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Id rather get like 6th overall, and trade the 36th overall+ next year's 2nd + Bourque to get the 15th overall and hope for Tarasenko. But thats not a Slats move

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:06 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Id rather get like 6th overall, and trade the 36th overall+ next year's 2nd + Bourque to get the 15th overall and hope for Tarasenko. But thats not a Slats move
That's something a smart rebuilding team would do. That is not us.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Crease

I wouldn't trade up, because you never really know what you're getting with that top pick or what you might find with your 2nd and 3rd rounders.

What I WOULD do is swing for the fences with whatever first round pick we end up with. Go for the guy with the highest offensive upside. We lost our one legit scoring prospect in Cherepanov, and that's what we're lacking right now.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:14 PM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
If we want an additional top 10 pick, we could trade next year's 1st, this year's second and a young roster player/good prospect.

No need to move ALL our picks this year.
At this point, I don't have any reason to believe that next year's team is going to be any better than this year's, and thus I don't feel comfortable trading a potential top 10 pick next year along with a 2nd and player.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:24 PM
Rust Heisenberg

rangers have had decent luck in finding good 2nd-4th round talent in the recent drafts but i wouldnt mind giving rounds 2-7 plus a decent prospect or 2 for the 1st or 2nd pick overall. Rangers would then have the 1st/2nd pick and the 7th/8th pick.

Get 2 dynamic goal scorers right off the bat.

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
At this point, I don't have any reason to believe that next year's team is going to be any better than this year's, and thus I don't feel comfortable trading a potential top 10 pick next year along with a 2nd and player.
Don't worry, its the worst draft class in the history of the world

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
it wont be, but hopefully dolan fires sather or sather resigns and the 2 players the rangers draft will be part of this successful rebuild.

Old
03-22-2010, 09:43 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

There isn't much I would require be kept off the table if I'm in discussions for Seguin, just another pipe dream though.

03-22-2010, 10:14 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

They could have gotten a first from someone by packaging some combination of Rosie, Joke and Prospal for the pick. But no, we were "still in it."

Last edited by Beacon: 03-22-2010 at 10:26 PM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:18 PM
broadwayblue

And just what makes anyone think that the team holding the 2nd overall pick would go for this deal?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:24 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

If they can get a Nino/Kabanov and a solid pick in round 2 (Straka? I don't know) then it will be a big draft.

Also, if they can trade Rozi for a pick or prospect and send Girardi in a package to Chi for Sharp or CBJ for Filatov then mission accomplished.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 10:37 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Would be really nice if Slats managed to pull a second rounder for Rosie. I would even do it for a third to open a spot for a rookie like Sangs or Sauer.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:19 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

This comes up every year on every message board, and it never happens. No reason to think anything different this time around. Teams aren't looking to get rid of a top 15 pick unless they are just moving down a bit for another 2nd rounder.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2010, 11:31 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
If they can get a Nino/Kabanov and a solid pick in round 2 (Straka? I don't know) then it will be a big draft.

Also, if they can trade Rozi for a pick or prospect and send Girardi in a package to Chi for Sharp or CBJ for Filatov then mission accomplished.
While we're at it why dont the rangers trade redden for evander kane, rosival for the 5th overall pick, and drury for rick nash.

chicago has enough defensemen, so much so that they were willing to deal cam barker this deadline. while sharp would be a great fit for the rangers they dont have the money to retain him and still go after the players they want to go after. not only that, but if the rangers still keep on acquiring all these players who will sign for long term when will the prospects start getting their chances?

filatov would be even harder to trade for. why? just because of his ridiculous talent. columbus wont give him up easily and the leverage other teams will try to use to get him for cheaper wont work (that he has attitude problems). therefore, unless the rangers are willing to part with their 1st this season, a prospect, and girardi you will not see filatov as a member of the rangers. not unless of course he demands a trade out of columbus and directly to new york, gives them a set deadline to give him the trade or else he leaves for russia, i cant see it happening.

the trades you make here are like fantasy hockey. i'm right there with you, would i want sharp or filatov? absolutely, but those are just not realistic at all. what's a restricted inconsistent defensemen with motivation problems going to land the rangers? nothing.

also i find it unfathomable that people think rosival will net a 2nd or 3rd round pick. the guy is garbage. i knew he'd be a bust the year before the rangers gave him the contract extension. other teams will notice too. what's rosival offer? you'd think leadership and a mentoring ability... well he doesnt. not to mention he's pretty bad when you think about the pay check he makes.

whoever said it before was right: the rangers had their shot of getting an additional 1st round pick by packaging jokinen, prospal, rosival in some sort of deal. obviously no one would have taken all 3 but some form of them would have gotten the rangers a decent pick (late teens, early 20's). they passed on it. goes to show that the rangers are not a rebuilding team, havent been under glen sather ever, and will never be under dolan and sather. it's because in the ny market people dont care how a team is constructed, but however just results. there is a process in sustaining a successful team... it's in patience and correct talent choices. rangers dont have the patience to neither develop their prospects properly nor to develop their team properly, which is why we'll always see the rangers sign mediocre players to large sums of money just to get some form of success.

Old
03-23-2010, 12:28 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
While we're at it why dont the rangers trade redden for evander kane, rosival for the 5th overall pick, and drury for rick nash.

chicago has enough defensemen, so much so that they were willing to deal cam barker this deadline. while sharp would be a great fit for the rangers they dont have the money to retain him and still go after the players they want to go after. not only that, but if the rangers still keep on acquiring all these players who will sign for long term when will the prospects start getting their chances?

filatov would be even harder to trade for. why? just because of his ridiculous talent. columbus wont give him up easily and the leverage other teams will try to use to get him for cheaper wont work (that he has attitude problems). therefore, unless the rangers are willing to part with their 1st this season, a prospect, and girardi you will not see filatov as a member of the rangers. not unless of course he demands a trade out of columbus and directly to new york, gives them a set deadline to give him the trade or else he leaves for russia, i cant see it happening.

the trades you make here are like fantasy hockey. i'm right there with you, would i want sharp or filatov? absolutely, but those are just not realistic at all. what's a restricted inconsistent defensemen with motivation problems going to land the rangers? nothing.

also i find it unfathomable that people think rosival will net a 2nd or 3rd round pick. the guy is garbage. i knew he'd be a bust the year before the rangers gave him the contract extension. other teams will notice too. what's rosival offer? you'd think leadership and a mentoring ability... well he doesnt. not to mention he's pretty bad when you think about the pay check he makes.

whoever said it before was right: the rangers had their shot of getting an additional 1st round pick by packaging jokinen, prospal, rosival in some sort of deal. obviously no one would have taken all 3 but some form of them would have gotten the rangers a decent pick (late teens, early 20's). they passed on it. goes to show that the rangers are not a rebuilding team, havent been under glen sather ever, and will never be under dolan and sather. it's because in the ny market people dont care how a team is constructed, but however just results. there is a process in sustaining a successful team... it's in patience and correct talent choices. rangers dont have the patience to neither develop their prospects properly nor to develop their team properly, which is why we'll always see the rangers sign mediocre players to large sums of money just to get some form of success.
I respectfully disagree sir. This is not fantasy hockey. Girardi alone will not net Sharp BUT Chicago is in cap misery and losing Johnson to UFA after the season. It is going to be impossible for them to keep that team together.; 14 players with only 4 D and the wrong goalie (Huet) under contract and already $800K over the cap.

Niemi gets a pay raise and Sopel is one of their four D men under contract. In short, they are in deep trouble.

Remember when the Rangers got Steve Ruccin for a bag of pucks? Well, I think Girardi plus prospect or high pick (2nd or 3rd) might get the job done. Chi will save almost $2.4 million in cap space and get a serviceable 4th-6th DMan with a pick.

Sharp would be a solid addition and allow the Rangers to still have a lot of cap room especially if they actually waive Voros and let Shelley walk.

Filatov; it's most likely not going to happen but it would be worth it to send feelers out.

And once again, if it comes down to Nino/Kabanov/Tarasenko, CBJ is going to take Nino because they're scared of Russians.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:42 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
I respectfully disagree sir. This is not fantasy hockey. Girardi alone will not net Sharp BUT Chicago is in cap misery and losing Johnson to UFA after the season. It is going to be impossible for them to keep that team together.; 14 players with only 4 D and the wrong goalie (Huet) under contract and already $800K over the cap.

Niemi gets a pay raise and Sopel is one of their four D men under contract. In short, they are in deep trouble.

Remember when the Rangers got Steve Ruccin for a bag of pucks? Well, I think Girardi plus prospect or high pick (2nd or 3rd) might get the job done. Chi will save almost $2.4 million in cap space and get a serviceable 4th-6th DMan with a pick.

Sharp would be a solid addition and allow the Rangers to still have a lot of cap room especially if they actually waive Voros and let Shelley walk.

Filatov; it's most likely not going to happen but it would be worth it to send feelers out.

And once again, if it comes down to Nino/Kabanov/Tarasenko, CBJ is going to take Nino because they're scared of Russians.
That's the thing. I can certainly envision the Rangers going after Kabanov and he'll likely be available by the time the Rangers pick anyway. I mean without moving up.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:20 AM
JKDR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
They could have gotten a first from someone by packaging some combination of Rosie, Joke and Prospal for the pick. But no, we were "still in it."
Thats exactly what I said right before the deadline and everyone told me I was nutz.......

JKDR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 07:25 AM
azrok22

1st round picks just weren't moved at the deadline. The Rangers probably could've gotten 2-3 additional second rounders (not necessarily all in 2010), but in order to trade one of our UFAs for a 1st round pick, there has to be someone willing to move a 1st round pick.

I think the return would've been closer to:

Prospal - mid-2nd (2010) + mid/low-tier prospect
Jokinen - late-2nd round pick (2010/2011) + UFA salary dump

I don't think Rozi was movable, because the teams looking to rent a defenseman probably didn't want one with 2 more years on his contract. However, I think he is movable at the draft.

EDIT: Those who wanted to sell (including me) should just be happy we didn't buy. No one would sell when tied for playoff position on the day of the deadline. Sather easily could've rationalized trading a 2nd+ for Torres or some other rental based upon our playoff position at that date. Thankfully, he showed restraint.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:35 PM
ogie

I think the way to go at the draft is to hold your ground and if needed trade some lower round picks to move up a spot or two to get a guy you have your eye on. But swinging at the fences and losing an absurd amount of picks/prospects to go to #1 is not the way to go.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:45 PM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
or just lose the last 10 games of this seasona dn your guaranteed a top 3 pick possible with a very high possiblity at 2 and even 1st

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 01:48 PM
dtrap

Send a message via AIM to dtrap
Trade all of our picks?

Since when did Mike Ditka become our coach...

and since when is Ricky Williams available in the draft...

dtrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:37 PM
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence

Say what you will but I'm rooting HARD for them to lose every single game the rest of the way. Winning at this point is counterproductive for the future of the team. I want a high draft pick...

god I hope we get someone nasty out of this mess...

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 02:56 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
Say what you will but I'm rooting HARD for them to lose every single game the rest of the way. Winning at this point is counterproductive for the future of the team. I want a high draft pick...

god I hope we get someone nasty out of this mess...
wait werent you one of those who was lecturing others on tanking

welcome to the dark side.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote