Central Europe Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Hungary, Italy

Jaroslav Balastik: Wow and who is he?

Closed Thread

Old
02-02-2005, 12:18 PM
naihlflames

vCash: 500
Jaroslav Balastik: Wow and who is he?

I noticed he is leading the Czech league in goals ahead of guys like Hejduk, Palffy, and Straka. He was also drafted by Colombus in 2002. Who is this guy? Would his game translate well at the NHL level? Does anyone know if he ever has shown any interest in playing in the NHL in the future?

Old
02-02-2005, 05:39 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

I read a report that he's coming to Columbus the next time the NHL starts up.

I've drafted him in every fantasy league I'm in this year, always picking him up in the late rounds.

He's a quality lottery pick.

But no lock.

Remember whatisname Czech star who fizzled in Edmonton?

Old
02-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Fedz

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander
I read a report that he's coming to Columbus the next time the NHL starts up.

I've drafted him in every fantasy league I'm in this year, always picking him up in the late rounds.

He's a quality lottery pick.

But no lock.

Remember whatisname Czech star who fizzled in Edmonton?
Jiri Dopita.

Old
02-02-2005, 07:31 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedz
Jiri Dopita.
Exactly.

Old
02-02-2005, 08:57 PM
Golbez

Send a message via ICQ to Golbez Send a message via MSN to Golbez
Jaro Balastik - Spread the word!

http://jesgolbez.blogspot.com/2004/1...-balastik.html

I wrote a report on him. He's an awesome goal scorer with good size

he's also far younger than Dopita. Dopita came over too late, while Balastik is just hitting his prime. It helps that Balastik is more assertive in the 'red zone'

Old
02-02-2005, 11:38 PM
naihlflames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golbez
http://jesgolbez.blogspot.com/2004/1...-balastik.html

I wrote a report on him. He's an awesome goal scorer with good size

he's also far younger than Dopita. Dopita came over too late, while Balastik is just hitting his prime. It helps that Balastik is more assertive in the 'red zone'
Great Link. Thank you

Old
02-05-2005, 08:28 AM
endacka

Send a message via ICQ to endacka
I dont see Balastik being nowhere close to playing in the NHL. Most of his goals in the Czech Extraleague come after a pass from eighter Leska or Hamrlik (often somewhat emty-netters) or after a scramble in front of the net. He has neighter hard nor accurate shot in my opinion, he will not be regular NHLer unless he is given at least 2nd line icetime and extraordinary creative center.

Old
02-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Rogalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by endacka
I dont see Balastik being nowhere close to playing in the NHL. Most of his goals in the Czech Extraleague come after a pass from eighter Leska or Hamrlik (often somewhat emty-netters) or after a scramble in front of the net. He has neighter hard nor accurate shot in my opinion, he will not be regular NHLer unless he is given at least 2nd line icetime and extraordinary creative center.
Let me guess. You are not from Zlín

Old
02-07-2005, 01:40 PM
endacka

Actually, I really like Zlins play and Balastik fits perfectly into their first line. As long as Leska centers it. I am a big fan of Leska, M. Hamrlik, Murin, Erat or Cajanek, who are, in my opinion, far more important for the team success than the Brendl-like winger. OK, I am exaggerating but that does not make Balastik any better.

Old
02-07-2005, 05:46 PM
Misha.cz

It is not fair to sign him as "brendl-like". He does a lot of work in the crease and despite he uses his stick in the crease to disbalance the goalie often, you have to admint, that in positioning before the net is Balastik best in the league.

He havent succeeded in national team yet for two reasons: his chemistry with Leska is extraordinary and he needs some time to adapt, AND - he was always put into 4th checkig line in the czech team. And he is whatever but defensive checker.

He is not my favourite, but I guess he could make some good NHL performance. One year in Syracuse to adapt for more physical games and then click him with Andrew Cassels and David Vyborny. He has size, endurance, skating. He has to work on other aspects, but he knows it. Comparing him with other NHL "stars" this season in czech league, players like Kraft, Hlavac, Svoboda, Varada or Somik, he could definitely shows much better performance.

Old
02-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Golbez

Send a message via ICQ to Golbez Send a message via MSN to Golbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha.cz
It is not fair to sign him as "brendl-like". He does a lot of work in the crease and despite he uses his stick in the crease to disbalance the goalie often, you have to admint, that in positioning before the net is Balastik best in the league.

He havent succeeded in national team yet for two reasons: his chemistry with Leska is extraordinary and he needs some time to adapt, AND - he was always put into 4th checkig line in the czech team. And he is whatever but defensive checker.

He is not my favourite, but I guess he could make some good NHL performance. One year in Syracuse to adapt for more physical games and then click him with Andrew Cassels and David Vyborny. He has size, endurance, skating. He has to work on other aspects, but he knows it. Comparing him with other NHL "stars" this season in czech league, players like Kraft, Hlavac, Svoboda, Varada or Somik, he could definitely shows much better performance.
DAMN RIGHT, BROTHER

BAAAAAAA-LAAAAAA-STIIIIIK!

Old
02-08-2005, 03:06 AM
endacka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misha.cz

Balastik is, as you correctly mentioned, not a defensive player. So, he would not fit in the 3rd or 4th line in NHL. If he should put up some numbers and to usefull for his team in the NHL (to score goals), he needs two things - shot (which he has not) and 1st or 2nd line icetime (whisch he will not get unless he is better defensively and improves his shooting. I admit his positioning is very good, his skating just above average and his defense - well, we talked about it earlier. In my opinion, IF he was better defensivley, he could play NHL as a 3rd line center (good size, thus potentionally resistant to hiting) but as an offensive player he has not the tools to make the NHL.

To the Brednl-like comparison - I didnt mean it, I said I was exaggerating but I just tried to compare his defensive abilities and willingness to someone who is famous for it, although I do know that Brendl is an extreme and far worse than Balastik.

Old
02-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Matt Foley*

Is Balastik playing on the right or left wing? If on the left, then him playing on a line with Cassels at center and Vyborny at RW might be a good fit as both of them play well defensively, with Cassels being a good passer, as well. Cassels and Vyborny already work well together, last season with Nash on the LW.

Personally, I'd like to see these two lines paired together, assuming Balastik is a LW and makes the trip to the States (whenever this CBA mess is worked out ):

Nash - Svitov - Zherdev

Balastik - Cassels - Vyborny

If Balastik doesn't pan out, we've always got Sanderson until Alex Picard is ready.

Closed Thread